19.2kW charger fix for EA charging and Plug & Charge

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I have read this thread several times and am still confused as to "the fix". In the last two weeks I had WML2 performed. Stated on the invoice as:

"WML2 Re-Programming 22 kW High-Voltage Charger (OBC) (Workshop​
Campaign) Updated software is available for the 22 kW high-voltage​
charger (OBC). The software contains improvements, enhanced functions​
and troubleshooting for the following topics: Improved and enhanced "Plug-and-Charge" (PnC) comfort function Enhanced "smart charging" comfort
function The high-voltage battery cannot be charged fully (100% state of​
charge (SoC) is not reached) at certain charging pedestals DC charging at​
certain charging pedestals with a duty cycle of between 6.1 and 7% is not​
possible (e.g. Signet charging stations) Action required: Re-program the 22​
kW high-voltage charger using the PIWIS Tester with software version​
40.550.050 (or higher) installed. TU 0.36​
WML2 Re-Programming 22 kW High-Voltage Charger (OBC) (Workshop​
Campaign)​
Re-programming 22 kW high-voltage charger (OBC) Includes: Connecting​
and disconnecting battery charger Connecting and disconnecting PIWIS​
Tester Reading out and erasing fault memories SCOPE 1 VOLTAGE..."​

I have one of the 19.2KW onboard chargers which when delivered I was told that PnC would not work due to a bad hardware certificate. I was assuming this "fix" fixed that issue. However, when I follow the Good-to-Know instructions on activating PnC by going to CHARGING >> OVERVIEW >> . . . , there is no option to activate Plug and Charge. What am I missing? Is there still another step that the dealer needs to take? I also confirmed that PnC did not work at an EA charging station.

I should add that I am on my second 19.2KW charger.
Hi Glenn,

The PnC should work with your 2021 Taycan post-update, provided they followed the steps indicated here and earlier in the thread.

If you don't see the PnC checkbox on the battery configuration screen, it means the update wasn't applied properly. Don't even bother driving it off the lot to test PnC unless you see that checkbox.

Why does your invoice refer to a 22kW charger instead of the faulty 19.2kw? It appears they did something to your vehicle but I don't think they installed the proper updates related to this particular issue.

Once they do install the proper updates and the checkbox is visible, make sure it's checked. PnC will start working for you within a few days thereafter.
Sponsored

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7 | Tesla Model 3 | Taycan 4s (MY21)
Country flag
Hi Glenn,

The PnC should work with your 2021 Taycan post-update, provided they followed the steps indicated here and earlier in the thread.

If you don't see the PnC checkbox on the battery configuration screen, it means the update wasn't applied properly. Don't even bother driving it off the lot to test PnC unless you see that checkbox.

Why does your invoice refer to a 22kW charger instead of the faulty 19.2kw? It appears they did something to your vehicle but I don't think they installed the proper updates related to this particular issue.

Once they do install the proper updates and the checkbox is visible, make sure it's checked. PnC will start working for you within a few days thereafter.
Now I am wondering. Thank you for the info, I'll circle back to the dealer on the 22K

GRV

First Name
Glenn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X7 | Tesla Model 3 | Taycan 4s (MY21)
Country flag
Now I am wondering. Thank you for the info, I'll circle back to the dealer on the 22K
@SWORDER - is this battery configuration screen where the checkbox should be? Or, is it under CHARGING >> OVERVIEW >> . . . ?

Porsche Taycan 19.2kW charger fix for EA charging and Plug & Charge 1638821824100

carboard123

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s 1972 911T Targa
Country flag
@SWORDER - is this battery configuration screen where the checkbox should be? Or, is it under CHARGING >> OVERVIEW >> . . . ?

1638821824100.png
go the the charging menu in settings then press the three dots at the bottom right. a new menu will come up with a click box

carboard123

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s 1972 911T Targa
Country flag
Got the software update yesterday. Took about 5 hours. PCM completely reset and I had problems logging back into my account in the car. Spent 2 hours on the phone with Porsche connect to no avail. However after letting the car sit for about 8 hours the log in problems self corrected and all is normal now with the pcm.
Tried plug and charge about 24 hours after the update was installed. The handshake was successful but the charger did not recognize the car for free charging. Will try again in a few days as others have noted there is a time lag for the system to update
Tried plug and charge again (5 days after update). Works like a charm. Tried three different EA locations over the last several days and no issues at all. Plugged the car in, handshake successful and charging began. All three sessions show up in my charging history with correct details.

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Go to the Charging screen from the Home page and click the three dots in the lower right corner. The following screen will appear:

Porsche Taycan 19.2kW charger fix for EA charging and Plug & Charge IMG_0329

You want to make sure that the Activate Plug & Charge checkbox is checked. If the option doesn't appear at all or is greyed out, making it inaccessible, it means the update/patch wasn't properly installed.

If it's accessible, check the box, and wait a few days. P&C should then work for you.

Reactions: GRV

buhhy

First Name
Terence
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT Turbo S, Lexus IS350
Country flag
So judging from the recent posts, it sounds like the 19.2kW charger works with plug and charge now? There’s no longer any reason to avoid speccing this option?

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
So judging from the recent posts, it sounds like the 19.2kW charger works with plug and charge now? There’s no longer any reason to avoid speccing this option?
I wouldn’t avoid spec’ing it, but I also wouldn’t add it without having a reason. It’s expensive to add to the car and then expensive to put in an EVSE to utilize it. The standard charge rate is fine for most people and most use cases.

That said, if you do have a use case for it, then I think you should spec it and it will likely be fine.

Last edited:

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
The software patch to correct the conflicts is what fixed the issue, I would assume that cars being delivered now have the proper configurations.

RinOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Without getting into the cost aspect, I’d like a definitive answer as to whether this can be added to earlier cars and if so what is required to do that. I’ve seen so many posts that don’t add up to an answer to that question. After knowing that, costs can be analyzed. Car manufacturers are so weird about this stuff sometimes. Just tell us Porsche. We won’t be mad. Honest.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Without getting into the cost aspect, I’d like a definitive answer as to whether this can be added to earlier cars and if so what is required to do that. I’ve seen so many posts that don’t add up to an answer to that question. After knowing that, costs can be analyzed. Car manufacturers are so weird about this stuff sometimes. Just tell us Porsche. We won’t be mad. Honest.
taycans have on board chargers. what are you looking to have added?

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
He is talking about upgrading the on-board 9.6kW charger to 19.2kW. 19.2kW wasn’t available for MY2020, but in a press release last year Porsche said they were going to make it available as an upgrade. I don’t think they’ve followed through on that statement, likely because of the problems that were discovered, and also perhaps supply chain challenges.

RinOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Plug and charge. I don’t need it. I just want it. I’ll live if I can’t retrofit it but I would like to know either way.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
z
Plug and charge. I don’t need it. I just want it. I’ll live if I can’t retrofit it but I would like to know either way.
to date Porsche has stated there is no retrofit for plug-n-charge available for 2020 Taycans - the only way to get Plug-n-charge w/Taycan is a 2021 MY or later - no software or hardware update has been made available.

nafzal80

First Name
Nauman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S, Audi Q7
Country flag
Is there a retrofit for the 19.2 kW On-Board Charger available yet (not asking about the Plug-n-charge but the 19.2 kW on board charger itself)? Porsche mentioned there would be. If anyone knows, can you please share costs and timeframe for when it will be made available?
Sponsored