gonzo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Lucid Air DE, Tesla 3
Country flag
There have been a few threads and much confusion on these issues so I thought it would be helpful to consolidate the resolution info here.

TL;DR
If you have the 19.2kW on-board charger and have been unable to DC fast charge at Electrify America, ask your dealer to contact PCNA for the fix, which is a software update. As a bonus, the fix also includes Plug & Charge, something us 19.2kW owners have been missing!

Long Version
I had been struggling with EA since receiving my '21 Taycan w/ 19.2kW charger in late January. As a 6-year Tesla owner I didn't realize that fast charging issues were a thing. By August, the car had been to my dealer a few times without resolution despite their best efforts, and I was beyond frustrated and about to throw in the towel.

Before doing so, I decided to sit down one afternoon and document my experience during every single EA charging session. (Google Timeline, Google Photos and phone logs were quite helpful here!) Behavior had been inconsistent so I was confused and looking for any patterns that could be useful. Aside from the fact that I had wasted ~16 hours of my life, one thing that immediately jumped out was that it all went to pot in late May -- from that point on I was unable to charge at all at any of 3 EA stations in my region (Walterboro SC, Columbia SC and Asheville NC). This timing didn't coincide with any updates to my vehicle, which pointed at some change with the chargers as the culprit.

I shared this with my dealer on August 5th, who promptly shared it with PCNA:
Porsche Taycan 19.2kW charger fix for EA charging and Plug & Charge 1631139754770

Apparently this got someone's attention at PCNA, and within a few days I learned that some of the top Taycan techs out of Atlanta were working on it. That weekend they actually drove a similarly configured '21 Turbo S w/ 19.2kW charger along with advanced test equipment to all of the same EA stations and were able to consistently reproduce the issue. This convinced them of the severity and scope of the problem and they got to work on the fix.

A couple of weeks later, I received the photo below from my dealer which shows 4 Taycan's from Atlanta charging at EA Columbia to test the fix -- a sight that has probably not been seen before and may never be seen again. ;) These Taycan's proceeded to caravan to several other EA stations that weekend.

Porsche Taycan 19.2kW charger fix for EA charging and Plug & Charge 1631144515057

As it turns out, EA uses at least 3 different brands of charger hardware. One of the newer chargers is from Signet, and the root of the issue is that the CP duty cycle % from these chargers is higher than normal and thus considered out-of-range by the Taycan, which would in turn refuse to connect. (Some light reading on J1772 here)

Some, including me, suspected that the missing Plug & Charge "feature" was somehow related, but as it turns out it was not. P&C is now available simply because the software version required for the charging fix already included the P&C fix. Yes, this means that Porsche was likely already planning on delivering that to us in the near future.

I hope you will agree, the fact that on more than one occasion at least 4 PCNA employees spent their weekends driving around to various Walmart parking lots says something about their commitment to Taycan owners. It took them little more than a month to turn around this critical fix, which is impressive any way you slice it. As a result, I've gone from the edge to a very happy and impressed customer.

Sincere thanks to all those involved at PCNA and Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte for taking this issue seriously and for promptly delivering a fix. Your efforts have not gone unnoticed!

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
If you have the 19.2kW on-board charger and have been unable to DC fast charge at Electrify America, ask your dealer to contact PCNA for the fix, which is a software update.
One of the newer chargers is from Signet, and the root of the issue is that the CP duty cycle % from these chargers is higher than normal and thus considered out-of-range by the Taycan, which would in turn refuse to connect.
I’m a little confused. Is the issue isolated to 19.2kW chargers? It doesn’t seem like it should be based on the description of the problem.

OP
OP
gonzo

gonzo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I’m a little confused. Is the issue isolated to 19.2kW chargers? It doesn’t seem like it should be based on the description of the problem.
Yes, it is isolated to 19.2kW chargers. As I understand it, the software for the on-board AC charger is involved in the hand-shake process even for DC fast charging, and it is different on the 19.2kW's.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
There have been a few threads and much confusion on these issues so I thought it would be helpful to consolidate the resolution info here.

TL;DR
If you have the 19.2kW on-board charger and have been unable to DC fast charge at Electrify America, ask your dealer to contact PCNA for the fix, which is a software update. As a bonus, the fix also includes Plug & Charge, something us 19.2kW owners have been missing!

Long Version
I had been struggling with EA since receiving my '21 Taycan w/ 19.2kW charger in late January. As a 6-year Tesla owner I didn't realize that fast charging issues were a thing. By August, the car had been to my dealer a few times without resolution despite their best efforts, and I was beyond frustrated and about to throw in the towel.

Before doing so, I decided to sit down one afternoon and document my experience during every single EA charging session. (Google Timeline, Google Photos and phone logs were quite helpful here!) Behavior had been inconsistent so I was confused and looking for any patterns that could be useful. Aside from the fact that I had wasted ~16 hours of my life, one thing that immediately jumped out was that it all went to pot in late May -- from that point on I was unable to charge at all at any of 3 EA stations in my region (Walterboro SC, Columbia SC and Asheville NC). This timing didn't coincide with any updates to my vehicle, which pointed at some change with the chargers as the culprit.

I shared this with my dealer on August 5th, who promptly shared it with PCNA:
1631139754770.png

Apparently this got someone's attention at PCNA, and within a few days I learned that some of the top Taycan techs out of Atlanta were working on it. That weekend they actually drove a similarly configured '21 Turbo S w/ 19.2kW charger along with advanced test equipment to all of the same EA stations and were able to consistently reproduce the issue. This convinced them of the severity and scope of the problem and they got to work on the fix.

A couple of weeks later, I received the photo below from my dealer which shows 4 Taycan's from Atlanta charging at EA Columbia to test the fix -- a sight that has probably not been seen before and may never be seen again. ;) These Taycan's proceeded to caravan to several other EA stations that weekend.

1631144515057.png

As it turns out, EA uses at least 3 different brands of charger hardware. One of the newer chargers is from Signet, and the root of the issue is that the CP duty cycle % from these chargers is higher than normal and thus considered out-of-range by the Taycan, which would in turn refuse to connect. (Some light reading on J1772 here)

Some, including me, suspected that the missing Plug & Charge "feature" was somehow related, but as it turns out it was not. P&C is now available simply because the software version required for the charging fix already included the P&C fix. Yes, this means that Porsche was likely already planning on delivering that to us in the near future.

I hope you will agree, the fact that on more than one occasion at least 4 PCNA employees spent their weekends driving around to various Walmart parking lots says something about their commitment to Taycan owners. It took them little more than a month to turn around this critical fix, which is impressive any way you slice it. As a result, I've gone from the edge to a very happy and impressed customer.

Sincere thanks to all those involved at PCNA and Hendrick Porsche in Charlotte for taking this issue seriously and for promptly delivering a fix. Your efforts have not gone unnoticed!
I also have been pushing Porsche on this issue and I to had trouble at waltersboro and the north charelson and many others. I received a call from my dealer today and they said that Porsche NA called them and there is a software fix for the car. I am away for another week so the update will need to wait until I return. I sure hope this fixes all the issues.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
This is exciting news. Is there a campaign code or other reference for the software update? I received an update for the 19.2kW charger on 8/24-25. I’m trying to find the invoice for the code. Based on the timing I wonder if this is the update you’re referring to or something else.

Edit: WMG4

Porsche Taycan 19.2kW charger fix for EA charging and Plug & Charge 210AC5E0-08B1-454A-BF20-0BA269C82BBB

Last edited:

OP
OP
gonzo

gonzo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is exciting news. Is there a campaign code or other reference for the software update? I received an update for the 19.2kW charger on 8/24-25. I’m trying to find the invoice for the code.

Edit: WMG4
Indeed! I don't see anything on my repair order, just a PRMS ticket # which I assume is specific to me. I've been told that if your dealer asks they will know which one. I will see if I can dig anything else up tomorrow...

OP
OP
gonzo

gonzo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Based on the timing I wonder if this is the update you’re referring to or something else.
I too received the WMG4 update in July and it had no impact, so probably not. You will see the P&C option if you have the fix.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I too received the WMG4 update in July and it had no impact, so probably not. You will see the P&C option if you have the fix.
Please do post any reference codes. I’ve been reluctant to road trip in the Taycan because of the reliability issues with EA.

Nice job!

MrJohnDolk

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+
Country flag
Well this is interesting - i have a MY21 T4S with PB+ and “normal” charger (not 19,2 kWh). When i got the car in january this year, the plug@charge worked perfectly, and all my sessions at IONITY (fast chargers i Europe) also worked great..

After the major software Update in april, my Plug@charge stopped working, and also experienced problems fast charging (Low Speed, session would quit after a minute etc)

Do anybody else experience something similar after software Update??

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Well this is interesting - i have a MY21 T4S with PB+ and “normal” charger (not 19,2 kWh). When i got the car in january this year, the plug@charge worked perfectly, and all my sessions at IONITY (fast chargers i Europe) also worked great..

After the major software Update in april, my Plug@charge stopped working, and also experienced problems fast charging (Low Speed, session would quit after a minute etc)

Do anybody else experience something similar after software Update??
I have not had any problems or issues with HPC charging after the latest recall update. I have however a MY20 and never had P&C.
Here is a picture of a recent Ionity charging session. Very decent speed at the stage of charge, 73%!

Porsche Taycan 19.2kW charger fix for EA charging and Plug & Charge 3F2D6AC9-0F40-4F7B-8E56-2CAB1E73B3F3

OP
OP
gonzo

gonzo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Please do post any reference codes. I’ve been reluctant to road trip in the Taycan because of the reliability issues with EA.
Just confirmed that there is no official reference code yet, it's still case by case.

TurboBear

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Just confirmed that there is no official reference code yet, it's still case by case.
Thank you so much for your diligent work and effort to get a resolution on this. I have the 19.2kW charger and have gone back and forth with PCNA and EA multiple times. PCNA always points the finger at EA and EA is a black hole. Also, it's interesting that while I have never had an issue charging in Asheville, I've never been able to charge in Statesville, NC (3 attempts).

Given there's no specific campaign code for this update, do you have any guidance on what I should ask for when calling my dealer?

OP
OP
gonzo

gonzo

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you so much for your diligent work and effort to get a resolution on this. I have the 19.2kW charger and have gone back and forth with PCNA and EA multiple times. PCNA always points the finger at EA and EA is a black hole. Also, it's interesting that while I have never had an issue charging in Asheville, I've never been able to charge in Statesville, NC (3 attempts).

Given there's no specific campaign code for this update, do you have any guidance on what I should ask for when calling my dealer?
Quite welcome! I do not have anything other than what I've already shared -- tell your dealer to ask PCNA technical for the new 19.2kW fix for EA Signet charging issues. It's all very fresh and so it hasn't run through their formal release process yet. That said, I know many like you have been struggling with this and so I wanted to share right away, after getting Porsche's blessing to do so.

EA Asheville is more intermittent -- even though I was unable to charge there, Porsche did have some success. Apparently the duty cycle % on some of the Signet chargers is borderline, and may be impacted by other factors like temperature. So it can work sometimes and not others. Personally I've had more success with the 150's than 350's. I haven't been to EA Statesville but you can tell if a charger is Signet by the silver label on the side:

Porsche Taycan 19.2kW charger fix for EA charging and Plug & Charge 1631200828670

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Quite welcome! I do not have anything other than what I've already shared -- tell your dealer to ask PCNA technical for the new 19.2kW fix for EA Signet charging issues. It's all very fresh and so it hasn't run through their formal release process yet. That said, I know many like you have been struggling with this and so I wanted to share right away, after getting Porsche's blessing to do so.

EA Asheville is more intermittent -- even though I was unable to charge there, Porsche did have some success. Apparently the duty cycle % on some of the Signet chargers is borderline, and may be impacted by other factors like temperature. So it can work sometimes and not others. Personally I've had more success with the 150's than 350's. I haven't been to EA Statesville but you can tell if a charger is Signet by the silver label on the side:

1631200828670.png
I also have had more successful charges on 150 units. The signet issue is new to me, I will now note the brand of the chargers

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There is also a digital certificate issue with some chargers (related to securing and authenticating your VIN with the charger to verify you are authorized for P & C). The good news is that these are all software issues, and VW Group controls EA and Porsche. So things can be fixed. It may just be a matter of them not being fixed fast enough for any particular owner or their particular travel plans. Welcome beta testers!
Sponsored