19.2kW charger fix for EA charging and Plug & Charge

SWORDER

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Hey, when you guys refer to an EA charger as being "Signet," what does that mean exactly? Is that the manufacturer? How can I tell if a particular EA charger is Signet?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Hey, when you guys refer to an EA charger as being "Signet," what does that mean exactly? Is that the manufacturer? How can I tell if a particular EA charger is Signet?
yes signet is one of the suppliers of hardware to EA. usually the unit will have a label noting the manufacturer of the unit.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
My dealer told me the stations with the green lighted rings are the newer ones (better / more reliable than older ones without the green lighted rings). There are two manufacturers of these newer ones - Signet and Siemens I believe. One has gray sides, one has white sides - but I don't recall which one he said (gray or white sides) are the ones with issues. Sorry I know this is only a partially useful response.

I don't have the 19.2kW option on my 2020, nor do I have plug and charge because it's a 2020. But I've never had a won't charge issue, only lower than expected charge rates. I've only tried four different stations though, all new (green rings).

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Taycan Turbo, Tesla Y*2; Prev S,X,3,996TT
Country flag
I got my car back today. I think the update itself was quick but it took a few hours to coordinate with Porsche. My dealer had the car for ~24 hours. I'm going to experiment this weekend at a few EA sites to see if it fixed the problem. I have to prove to the wife that it's working before she'll let us take it on a road trip again. We've been taking our Tesla since. One negative: The PCM was reset. Once I logged back in some of the setting came back from the cloud, but I had to reconfigure a number of things including HomeLink. Also the Apple music and Apple podcast source options have disappeared. I've seen this before but it usually comes back after ~5 minutes. No such luck this time. I'll give it a day and will also try the function-key set to source hack to see if that works. Also, as previously reported, "Plug and Charge" is listed again on the options screen. This would be a very nice surprise if it works!

I was also told that Porsche was "familiar with my car". I don't know exactly what that means -- it could be from log diving -- but I got the impression someone from Porsche is reading this thread. If true, that's great. In the early years of Tesla they used to do that too, and it's how I formed relationships with a number of engineers and senior execs there. Of course they've all left Tesla now. If someone from Porsche is reading this, feel free to PM if you want more data, want me to beta test crap, etc. Lord knows I've got a long history of it.

Will report back after this weekend.

A

Last edited:

carboard123

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s 1972 911T Targa
Country flag
I got my car back today. I think the update itself was quick but it took a few hours to coordinate with Porsche. My dealer had the car for ~24 hours. I'm going to experiment this weekend at a few EA sites to see if it fixed the problem. I have to prove to the wife that it's working before she'll let us take it on a road trip again. We've been taking our Tesla since. One negative: The PCM was reset. Once I logged back in some of the setting came back from the cloud, but I had to reconfigure a number of things including HomeLink. Also the Apple music and Apple podcast source options have disappeared. I've seen this before but it usually comes back after ~5 minutes. No such luck this time. I'll give it a day and will also try the function-key set to source hack to see if that works. Also, as previously reported, "Plug and Charge" is listed again on the options screen. This would be a very nice surprise if it works!

I was also told that Porsche was "familiar with my car". I don't know exactly what that means -- it could be from log diving -- but I got the impression someone from Porsche is reading this thread. If true, that's great. In the early years of Tesla they used to do that too, and it's how I formed a number of relationships with a number of engineers and senior execs there. Of course they've all left Tesla now. If someone from Porsche is reading this, feel free to PM if you want more data, want me to beta test crap, etc. Lord knows I've got a long history of it.

Will report back after this weekend.

A
I have called two local Porsche dealers and visited on in person this week. No one is able to help me with this problem. I basically pleaded with the service manager of the dealer i visited in person to contact Porsche NA and get the information on this update. No luck. I am beyond frustrated.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Reading this makes me think there is a real benefit in dictatorship businesses, as long as the dictator is competent. Tesla superchargers have never had issue like this - one guy (Elon) runs it all with an iron fist, what he says goes, and the company doesn't have to make compromise decisions so that "everyone's ideas are included in the outcome". Then end result of "group decisions" are usually compromises that none of the individual group members feels ownership or pride for. The benefit for the group making a decision is the perceived "they cannot file all of us if the decision sucks, right?". I see this in a number of areas in the industry today, the latest wave of young workers insisting everything has to be a consensus and must include everyone's ideas, no matter how dumb. It reminds of a problem a little while back in an open source Linux desktop GUI project, where some people wanted the minimize and close icons in the top right of the application window, like Microsoft Windows, and others wanted it in the top left, like Mac OS. So they took a poll, turned out 54% wanted it on the right, 46% on the left. So someone brilliantly (or sarcastically) suggested that they put the icons in top middle, but slightly to the right to reflect 54% people wanting it on the right. Lucky for the project they didn't implement the compromise idea, but sadly I see equivalent group decision made in the industry all the time.

The flip side of dictatorships of course is that if your dictator is wrong more often than not, the business tanks. Not every company can have its Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, or Elon Musk. I'm guessing EA is a giant collaboration (or compromise) of many contributing and participating companies, each with their own ideas.

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tesla is Apple. They own the entire stack. EA is Microsoft, and the car manufacturers are PC vendors of the 90’s. We’ve seen this show many times.

carboard123

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4s 1972 911T Targa
Country flag
I have called two local Porsche dealers and visited on in person this week. No one is able to help me with this problem. I basically pleaded with the service manager of the dealer i visited in person to contact Porsche NA and get the information on this update. No luck. I am beyond frustrated.
Hi - Does anyone have any further information on this fix/update? i am not having any luck with the dealers.

blulite

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi - Does anyone have any further information on this fix/update? i am not having any luck with the dealers.
I had to go back and forth a bit with my service advisor. His first comment was my car was up to date with all service campaigns. I kept referring him to the particular service bulletin, and eventually he agreed to pull it up. Shortly after he came back and agreed it applied to my car. I am scheduled for the update on Oct 4.

I received a conformation call yesterday to confirm I was having problems with EA. I answered yes. Fingers crossed.

ron.lovetri

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
Thanks to Gonzo, post #31, my dealer, Porsche Marin, was able to contact Porsche in Germany, get the update approved, and install the update. Dealer has been fantastic, shout out to Weis & Nick. Unfortunately, it required a full PCM reset. Been on the phone for the last two days trying to get two accounts set up in the car. Have not been successful yet. Some information to pass along: 1. this update will only be provided if the customer complains; 2. it will take EA at least one week to migrate the plug and charge to all the chargers so best practice is not even to try for a least 7 days after the update has been applied. Will update when I get the account mess straightened out. Right now they are suggesting I return to the dealer....

andrewket

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thanks to Gonzo, post #31, my dealer, Porsche Marin, was able to contact Porsche in Germany, get the update approved, and install the update. Dealer has been fantastic, shout out to Weis & Nick. Unfortunately, it required a full PCM reset. Been on the phone for the last two days trying to get two accounts set up in the car. Have not been successful yet. Some information to pass along: 1. this update will only be provided if the customer complains; 2. it will take EA at least one week to migrate the plug and charge to all the chargers so best practice is not even to try for a least 7 days after the update has been applied. Will update when I get the account mess straightened out. Right now they are suggesting I return to the dealer....
So you’re not able to login to the car?

I can login but Apple Music and apple podcasts have disappeared and I can’t get them back no matter what I do.

blulite

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I’m curious if this is the same experience for others? Any thoughts about me logging out on the PCM prior to the install?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
I’m curious if this is the same experience for others? Any thoughts about me logging out on the PCM prior to the install?
I cannot speak to the 7 day wait because I did that anyway and in my car the PCM module was replaced and almost all my settings needed to be reset. I had no issue relogging into my car, however I am still finding things that need to be reset.

ron.lovetri

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S 2021
Country flag
Good News. Plug & Charge worked this morning! Big step forward.

Still having issues with Porsche Connect, was working last night, now it thinks the Taycan is in Private Mode and won't display any information. Of course, it is not in private mode. Arg....
Sponsored