TaycanATL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan 4s, Tesla X Performance, F150
Country flag
Last week I took my first road trip, which included my first experience charging away from my house at an EA location, driving from Atlanta to Nashville and back. I was nervous with range anxiety as well as confused how to plan the charging stops before I began, and so I thought I would share some newbie lessons for others who like me are clueless. After reading posts here, I downloaded a number of apps (A Better Route Planner, Plugshare, EA, Chargepoint) in addition to Porsche Connect to help me plan my route and charging. To my surprise each of these apps yielded very different suggestions for charging stops. Porsche Connect was the only app that required me to stop once, whereas all of the others required two stops, which seemed way too conservative to me. I decided to go with Porsche but was ready with a couple of backup locations if my range depleted earlier than Porsche expected.

Driving conditions were great: sunny and around 60 degrees, and on the highway I had cruise control set at 79 mph and was in Normal driving mode. Leaving ATL at 100% charge, I hit some normal Atlanta traffic but nothing bad. Fortunately, I made it easily to the single predicted Connect charging stop: an EA in TN where I used a 350KW charger. When I reached the stop I had 79 miles of range left, so all the other apps that would have had me stop earlier were unnecessary. I had traveled 176 mi, so the indicated range of my 4S was 252 mi, 10% better than the EPA estimate.

Porsche Taycan 1st Road Trip: ATL to Nashville in 4s - Lessons for a New Owner tempImageOTp8yA

My only challenge then was figuring out how to use the EA charger. After plugging it in, going through the menu on the charger, and looking through the EA app, I didn't see how I could start and get free charging. A call to their customer service from the number on the charger yielded a helpful woman who told me I needed to use the Porsche Connect app, which I had looked at but didn't see how to do it. This is somewhat convoluted: click on the bottom left icon Explore, which brings up the map. I saw an icon for my car and another with a number in it, which is the charger. Next, click the number icon which then brings up the EA station, then click a button to start charging, then select which charger I was using at the station, and then plug in the charger after the app was going. I am not sure how I would have figured this out on my own!

In all, it took me over 10 minutes to figure out how to use the charger, but only 24 min. of charging to take me from 31% to 83%, which got me the rest of the way to Nashville with about half charge left where I had the hotel valet plug it in overnight. My return trip the next day, I stopped at the same charger but it went much faster since I actually new what I was doing.

Porsche Taycan 1st Road Trip: ATL to Nashville in 4s - Lessons for a New Owner tempImageu1nCbV

In summary, my experience, is that the Porsche Connect app worked well for both route planning and for charging, but it needs some serious redesign as it is not intuitive or user friendly. I also feel much more comfortable traveling with the car now after seeing the real world range of the car. Hope this is helpful for other new owners!

RoseyPSU

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Aston Martin Vantage
Country flag
Nice write up and very helpful. Mirrors my first roadtrip down to Richmond almost exactly. The Porsche Charging app is completely unintuitive, and I couldn't figure it out the first time either. Once you know how to use it though, no problem. I still find having the other apps, especially PlugShare, helpful, as they show level 2 chargers at hotels and Tesla destination chargers (I have a TeslaTap). Good to have on a trip.

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
Last week I took my first road trip, which included my first experience charging away from my house at an EA location, driving from Atlanta to Nashville and back. I was nervous with range anxiety as well as confused how to plan the charging stops before I began, and so I thought I would share some newbie lessons for others who like me are clueless. After reading posts here, I downloaded a number of apps (A Better Route Planner, Plugshare, EA, Chargepoint) in addition to Porsche Connect to help me plan my route and charging. To my surprise each of these apps yielded very different suggestions for charging stops. Porsche Connect was the only app that required me to stop once, whereas all of the others required two stops, which seemed way too conservative to me. I decided to go with Porsche but was ready with a couple of backup locations if my range depleted earlier than Porsche expected.

Driving conditions were great: sunny and around 60 degrees, and on the highway I had cruise control set at 79 mph and was in Normal driving mode. Leaving ATL at 100% charge, I hit some normal Atlanta traffic but nothing bad. Fortunately, I made it easily to the single predicted Connect charging stop: an EA in TN where I used a 350KW charger. When I reached the stop I had 79 miles of range left, so all the other apps that would have had me stop earlier were unnecessary. I had traveled 176 mi, so the indicated range of my 4S was 252 mi, 10% better than the EPA estimate.

tempImageOTp8yA.png

My only challenge then was figuring out how to use the EA charger. After plugging it in, going through the menu on the charger, and looking through the EA app, I didn't see how I could start and get free charging. A call to their customer service from the number on the charger yielded a helpful woman who told me I needed to use the Porsche Connect app, which I had looked at but didn't see how to do it. This is somewhat convoluted: click on the bottom left icon Explore, which brings up the map. I saw an icon for my car and another with a number in it, which is the charger. Next, click the number icon which then brings up the EA station, then click a button to start charging, then select which charger I was using at the station, and then plug in the charger after the app was going. I am not sure how I would have figured this out on my own!

In all, it took me over 10 minutes to figure out how to use the charger, but only 24 min. of charging to take me from 31% to 83%, which got me the rest of the way to Nashville with about half charge left where I had the hotel valet plug it in overnight. My return trip the next day, I stopped at the same charger but it went much faster since I actually new what I was doing.

tempImageu1nCbV.png

In summary, my experience, is that the Porsche Connect app worked well for both route planning and for charging, but it needs some serious redesign as it is not intuitive or user friendly. I also feel much more comfortable traveling with the car now after seeing the real world range of the car. Hope this is helpful for other new owners!
Thanks for this report. Please do another if so inclined. I especially
liked your how-to description of the Connect app.

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
“I needed to use the Porsche Connect app, which I had looked at but didn't see how to do it. This is somewhat convoluted: click on the bottom left icon Explore, which brings up the map. I saw an icon for my car and another with a number in it, which is the charger. Next, click the number icon which then brings up the EA station, then click a button to start charging, then select which charger I was using at the station, and then plug in the charger after the app was going. I am not sure how I would have figured this out on my own!”

@TaycanATL image attached is the Charging NA app that will give you the free 30 minute charge. Works well and not all the steps required that you mentioned above with the Porsche Connect app.
Thank you for taking time to post your trip notes on charging.
Hope this helps if you do not have it downloaded already.

Porsche Taycan 1st Road Trip: ATL to Nashville in 4s - Lessons for a New Owner 68CB54C1-0C31-49C8-A235-A9818AEB5AE7

dickp

First Name
Dick
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.dickpitini.com
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4
Country flag

tempImageOTp8yA.png

tempImageu1nCbV.png

Don't have my car yet, so no first hand experience. But from what I have read I thought you were to use the Porsche Charging NA App to charge at EA??

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
Firstly, I love your car's color! How was your car charged at the hotel? Did they provide a charging station or did you bring a charger?

LonePalmBJ

First Name
Brent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Gentian Blue Metallic, Black/Chalk,
Country flag
I also live in Atlanta. I have family in Florida so I have made the same ~1,100 mile road trip to Florida and back three times now. Like mentioned above, I primarily use ABRP and PlugShare to figure out where I'm going to stop, the car's Nav to the charging station for route guidance, and I use the Charging NA app to actually start the charger. I've used the Connect app too, but the UI to do this is convoluted at best. As long as you are properly signed up for it, you can start a 'free' charging session with either the Connect app or Charging NA if your vehicle came with three years of free EA charging.

Here's some detailed lessons learned from my road trip:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/1l-roadtrip-recap.2389/

I think the Taycan is a great road trip car and I don't hesitate to use it for that, but it does require some forethought.

Brent

Last edited:

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag

tempImageOTp8yA.png

tempImageu1nCbV.png

Jeff, first of all, welcome to the club, and that Neptune Blue looks great in the sun. I was curious what car functionality was reviewed with the dealership/sales person when picking up your car? Evidently, they did not review the process how to take advantage of free EA charging.

It strikes me as pretty terrible customer service when a dealership sends off a new Taycan owner, but does not explain to them how to take advantage of the free EA charging feature. Essentially, we pre-paid for the free charging in the cost of the vehicle, the least dealerships can do is to help new owners experience less confusion, and anxiety, by telling them that the Porsche and Charging NA apps are the key to setting up a free EA charging session.

Torv

First Name
Torv
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Absolutely, thanks for posting this. I haven't yet taken delivery of my car, but I find posts like yours invaluable in my accumulated knowledge of how to road trip with the Taycan. Posts like these are both inspirational and educational!

OP
OP
TaycanATL

TaycanATL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Firstly, I love your car's color! How was your car charged at the hotel? Did they provide a charging station or did you bring a charger?
I couldn't be happier with the color. Thanks! The hotel had a charging station in the garage, and the valet just plugged it in.

OP
OP
TaycanATL

TaycanATL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Jeff, first of all, welcome to the club, and that Neptune Blue looks great in the sun. I was curious what car functionality was reviewed with the dealership/sales person when picking up your car? Evidently, they did not review the process how to take advantage of free EA charging.

It strikes me as pretty terrible customer service when a dealership sends off a new Taycan owner, but does not explain to them how to take advantage of the free EA charging feature. Essentially, we pre-paid for the free charging in the cost of the vehicle, the least dealerships can do is to help new owners experience less confusion, and anxiety, by telling them that the Porsche and Charging NA apps are the key to setting up a free EA charging session.
I picked up the car at the Porsche Experience Center here in Atlanta. We did go over the car in what I thought was decent detail but obviously missed some key stuff! I think I was also so focused on getting out on the track that I didn't ask as many questions as I should have!

VJ77

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan RWD
Country flag
“I needed to use the Porsche Connect app, which I had looked at but didn't see how to do it. This is somewhat convoluted: click on the bottom left icon Explore, which brings up the map. I saw an icon for my car and another with a number in it, which is the charger. Next, click the number icon which then brings up the EA station, then click a button to start charging, then select which charger I was using at the station, and then plug in the charger after the app was going. I am not sure how I would have figured this out on my own!”

@TaycanATL image attached is the Charging NA app that will give you the free 30 minute charge. Works well and not all the steps required that you mentioned above with the Porsche Connect app.
Thank you for taking time to post your trip notes on charging.
Hope this helps if you do not have it downloaded already.

68CB54C1-0C31-49C8-A235-A9818AEB5AE7.png
Is it better to use the Porsche Connect app or the Charging NA app for the 30 minute free Electrify America service?

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Is it better to use the Porsche Connect app or the Charging NA app for the 30 minute free Electrify America service?
I always use the Charging NA app and it has worked well.

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for taking the time to post your experience.

I am curious as to whether you tried "plug and charge." You are supposed to just plug in. The car and EA charger are supposed to do their own handshake and the charging should just start. This did not work?
Sponsored