First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag
Thanks for your information.
@SteveDC : please stop believing everything you see on YouTube and rely on this board for information about a Taycan.

This is copied from a post from Dave :
  1. no known 22 kW AC chargers in North America - there is no published specification/standard for that type of J-1772 EVSE in the North American Market (Canada, US, Mexico) - 19.2 kW is the maximum charge rate with J-1772 AC L2 charging for the North American market
    1. even _IF_ there was a modification or new standard you would need a few things for this to happen
      1. a 240 volt circuit at 115 amps (92 amps charge rate)
      2. someone would need to manufacture a 22 kW charger for the North American Market
      3. modification of the J-1772 standard published an approved
  2. 350 kW chargers are FastDC (not AC) chargers and are 800 volts - but can range in charging speed from 25-350 kW @ 800 volts
    1. the maximum rate the Taycan can charge at 800V is 270 kW
    2. no optional equipment needs to be installed to achieve this charge rate at an appropriate charger in North America (Electrify America chargers are 800V and some are 350 kW maximum rate, others are 800V 150 kW maximum rate depending on the site).
  3. 400V FastDC chargers also exist in North America - most of these existing 400V chargers are 50 kW or less
    1. but there is potentially some 400V chargers that can go to 150 kW (although they are difficult to find (non-existent?), and it's doubtful future new charging locations won't installing 800V chargers
      1. i.e. no one going to the trouble to setup and permit a brand new charging site in 2022 and beyond is likely to say - yeah let's install a 400V charger instead of a 800V chargers) - the 800V trend and future is clear…
    2. the $460 Porsche options increases the maximum charge rate for FastDC 400V chargers
      1. if you do NOT option this $460 feature the maximum charge rate for the Taycan at a 400V charger is 50 kW - 1/3rd slower than 150 kW maximum
      2. if you do NOT option this $460 feature the maximum charge rate of the Taycan at an 800V charger is 270 kW
        1. which is unchanged with or with out this option.
    3. it has no effect on the Taycan's ability to charge with 800V chargers

I realize you are new to the board, and to Taycan's, but I highly suggest searching for confirmation on the board before posting incorrect information from YouTube.
You may be interested to know that, when I mentioned this forum to him regarding software updates, my dealer advised me to ignore everything I read on here. I chose to ignore the advice. The YT in question states that the EA chargers are 400V chargers and therefore limited to 50 kW, requiring the optional install to reach 150 kW. Seeing this, I asked my question. There’s another YT guy, who gives his name and posted a popular video on YT specifically on the subject on T charging, “in depth”, who states that the 400 option should not be installed, because there are so few 400V in the US, in contradistinction to Europe where they are more common. I took this latter advice and did not request the 400V option In my build. Your suggestion that I should only believe the anonymous posters here, and not those posters on YT who also do so anonymously, kind of begs the question: why don’t the experts here announce themselves so that their views can be given more weight? Otherwise, it’s just one against the other. Perhaps some posters here have done so. I came here seeking further opinion. Thanks for providing it. For authoritative advice, however, one usually looks to chosen experts on the vehicle who have been appointed by a car club membership. This has been my experience with both the PCA and the FCA. I hold membership in each. My main guy is my mechanic for the red car, and the blue car, the 911, I just sold, losing a valued mechanic in the process. Ok? Again, I appreciate your response. Steve
Sponsored

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag

You may be interested to know that, when I mentioned this forum to him regarding software updates, my dealer advised me to ignore everything I read on here. I chose to ignore the advice. The YT in question states that the EA chargers are 400V chargers and therefore limited to 50 kW, requiring the optional install to reach 150 kW. Seeing this, I asked my question. There’s another YT guy, who gives his name and posted a popular video on YT specifically on the subject on T charging, “in depth”, who states that the 400 option should not be installed, because there are so few 400V in the US, in contradistinction to Europe where they are more common. I took this latter advice and did not request the 400V option In my build. Your suggestion that I should only believe the anonymous posters here, and not those posters on YT who also do so anonymously, kind of begs the question: why don’t the experts here announce themselves so that their views can be given more weight? Otherwise, it’s just one against the other. Perhaps some posters here have done so. I came here seeking further opinion. Thanks for providing it. For authoritative advice, however, one usually looks to chosen experts on the vehicle who have been appointed by a car club membership. This has been my experience with both the PCA and the FCA. I hold membership in each. My main guy is my mechanic for the red car, and the blue car, the 911, I just sold, losing a valued mechanic in the process. Ok? Again, I appreciate your response. Steve

@SteveDC : You are free to believe what you want from whatever source you find credible. That is your business. That being said, you posted incorrect information based on a YouTube video, so a couple of us posted the correct information that was garnered from highly regarded Taycan owners on this board with actual experience.

My faith in what I read from certain posters on this board is a lot more than what I will take from a Porsche salesperson who only has test driven a Taycan with a prospective customer to gain a sale. That person does not know what it is like to take a road trip in the car, charge it, or use the charging apps. The same goes for YouTube. I find the Schmee (sp?) dude to be a clown, while the Out of Spec team is 100x better.

In the meantime, I am excited to take the day off tomorrow and drive my new Taycan to Aspen via Independence Pass. I did that drive multiple times in my old Taycan, so I am excited to beat Saturday mountain traffic. I hope you get out get to put a couple of hundred miles on your car and get robust charging speeds along the way.

Cheers.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
One video on YT says you only get 150 kW charging speed on Electrify America if you have installed a 150 adapter in the car. Without it, you are limited to 50 kW charging speed. Did you have that 150 kW adapter installed on your car? Sounds like it may be a necessity to get fast (50+ kW) charging. Steve
the video you refer to is wrong, the chargers on the taycan allow you to use the 350kw units and the car is limited to receiving 270 kw.

You may be interested to know that, when I mentioned this forum to him regarding software updates, my dealer advised me to ignore everything I read on here. I chose to ignore the advice.
and that was a wise choice, how do you know when a car seller isn't lying? his lips aren't moving

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
The same goes for YouTube. I find the Schmee (sp?) dude to be a clown, while the Out of Spec team is 100x better.

Cheers.
He is an arrogant clown just looking for clicks.

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
So related to this conversation, is there any way to check what the output of an EA charger is without physically driving there? The EA website doesn't seem to list specs for their chargers. Plugshare app? EA app? Something else?

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So related to this conversation, is there any way to check what the output of an EA charger is without physically driving there? The EA website doesn't seem to list specs for their chargers. Plugshare app? EA app? Something else?

The EA app shows whether it is a 150kW or 350kW charger, as does the Charging NA app. That being said, there is no guarantee what charging speeds you will achieve at either charging speed charger since there are lots of factors that come into play. However, they are all 800v.

I hope this helps.

REIL

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S+ / MY20
Country flag
Yes. See image from NA app. In the app you can click on a location and it will show you what chargers they have and their capacity.

Porsche Taycan 1st Road Trip: ATL to Nashville in 4s - Lessons for a New Owner D3B996A7-AF8E-4334-B9E3-E1ABC6405B81

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag
The EA app shows whether it is a 150kW or 350kW charger, as does the Charging NA app. That being said, there is no guarantee what charging speeds you will achieve at either charging speed charger since there are lots of factors that come into play. However, they are all 800v.

I hope this helps.
Cool, I'll check out the EA app, thanks. I understand they are theoretical maximums affected by battery temp, SoC, etc. Just want to know what hardware I'm working with. I thought you said most 400V chargers will be 50kW? Any reason you only listed "150kW or 350kW" as options?

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
the charge NA shows what level and how many units are at each location

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Cool, I'll check out the EA app, thanks. I understand they are theoretical maximums affected by battery temp, SoC, etc. Just want to know what hardware I'm working with. I thought you said most 400V chargers will be 50kW? Any reason you only listed "150kW or 350kW" as options?

The Electrify America chargers are all 800v. There is another thread on the site that shows how few 400v DC chargers there are in the US. So, EA puts out just two speeds for its DC chargers, the 150 and 350.
Sponsored