kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Is it better to use the Porsche Connect app or the Charging NA app for the 30 minute free Electrify America service?
I believe that you must use the charging NA app for the free charging
my experience has been spotty with the EA chargers, I have about a 50% rate of successfully initiate the charge without a call to the EA people for assistance.
Sponsored

Last edited:

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
Last week I took my first road trip, which included my first experience charging away from my house at an EA location, driving from Atlanta to Nashville and back. I was nervous with range anxiety as well as confused how to plan the charging stops before I began, and so I thought I would share some newbie lessons for others who like me are clueless. After reading posts here, I downloaded a number of apps (A Better Route Planner, Plugshare, EA, Chargepoint) in addition to Porsche Connect to help me plan my route and charging. To my surprise each of these apps yielded very different suggestions for charging stops. Porsche Connect was the only app that required me to stop once, whereas all of the others required two stops, which seemed way too conservative to me. I decided to go with Porsche but was ready with a couple of backup locations if my range depleted earlier than Porsche expected.

Driving conditions were great: sunny and around 60 degrees, and on the highway I had cruise control set at 79 mph and was in Normal driving mode. Leaving ATL at 100% charge, I hit some normal Atlanta traffic but nothing bad. Fortunately, I made it easily to the single predicted Connect charging stop: an EA in TN where I used a 350KW charger. When I reached the stop I had 79 miles of range left, so all the other apps that would have had me stop earlier were unnecessary. I had traveled 176 mi, so the indicated range of my 4S was 252 mi, 10% better than the EPA estimate.

tempImageOTp8yA.png

My only challenge then was figuring out how to use the EA charger. After plugging it in, going through the menu on the charger, and looking through the EA app, I didn't see how I could start and get free charging. A call to their customer service from the number on the charger yielded a helpful woman who told me I needed to use the Porsche Connect app, which I had looked at but didn't see how to do it. This is somewhat convoluted: click on the bottom left icon Explore, which brings up the map. I saw an icon for my car and another with a number in it, which is the charger. Next, click the number icon which then brings up the EA station, then click a button to start charging, then select which charger I was using at the station, and then plug in the charger after the app was going. I am not sure how I would have figured this out on my own!

In all, it took me over 10 minutes to figure out how to use the charger, but only 24 min. of charging to take me from 31% to 83%, which got me the rest of the way to Nashville with about half charge left where I had the hotel valet plug it in overnight. My return trip the next day, I stopped at the same charger but it went much faster since I actually new what I was doing.

tempImageu1nCbV.png

In summary, my experience, is that the Porsche Connect app worked well for both route planning and for charging, but it needs some serious redesign as it is not intuitive or user friendly. I also feel much more comfortable traveling with the car now after seeing the real world range of the car. Hope this is helpful for other new owners!
We can chat about this when the Atlanta Taycan group meets tonight but I just plug my car into the EA charger and it starts without any app. Wonder why your 2021 doesn't just start to charge. I have used it several times around Atlanta with no issue.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
We can chat about this when the Atlanta Taycan group meets tonight but I just plug my car into the EA charger and it starts without any app. Wonder why your 2021 doesn't just start to charge. I have used it several times around Atlanta with no issue.
this feature just doesn't seem to work for me, it triggers error messages and makes starting the charging with the app troublesome. I am have to call in for help 1 out of 2 charge sessions.

swhsv

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks for taking the time to post your experience.

I am curious as to whether you tried "plug and charge." You are supposed to just plug in. The car and EA charger are supposed to do their own handshake and the charging should just start. This did not work?
I just finished a weekend from my hone in north Alabama to Louisville, Kentucky and back (2021 4S with Performance Battery Plus.) “Plug and Charge” worked in most, but not all Electrify America locations we stopped at. The I-65 corridor cannot be called “dense” with EA chargers - but I found that while there may not have been an EA location everywhere I *wanted* one to be, there was one everywhere I NEEDED one to be. In Bowling Green, KY (there’s an EA charger at the National Corvette Museum - ironic) we met a fellow with a Chevy Bolt EV who was having a worse time of it - his range wasn’t as good, so he had significant range anxiety…

TYKHAAAN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Ram 2500, Hyundai Pallisade
The reason why some of the apps tell you to stop more, is because they are programmed with the EPA numbers for range. So they think the Taycan can only do 200 miles tops, so they will advise more stops to keep you from running too low. Some of the apps will allow you to change the range to the real numbers, but the Nav in the car will route you based on your range estimate in the car. I use the ABRP app, or even Plugshare to route, as they are better than the NAV is for finding routes, but i will figure out the mileage myself, so I dont stop at every charger they tell me to. You should definitely be able to get from ATL to Nashville with only one stop. I’m not too far (depending on your definition of far, about 100 miles south) from Nashville and I can make it almost all the way to ATL before stopping and still have 100-130 miles of range left when I do stop.

OP
OP
TaycanATL

TaycanATL

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 Taycan 4s, Tesla X Performance, F150
Country flag
Thanks for taking the time to post your experience.

I am curious as to whether you tried "plug and charge." You are supposed to just plug in. The car and EA charger are supposed to do their own handshake and the charging should just start. This did not work?
No - tried that twice when I first arrived and got nothing other than asking me to sign up with my credit card. Had to use the Porsche Connect app and then it worked flawlessly.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Is it better to use the Porsche Connect app or the Charging NA app for the 30 minute free Electrify America service?
Whichever one you like more. They do the same thing. Just don't use the Electrify America app.

I believe that you must use the charging NA app for the free charging
Both the Porsche Connect app and the Charging NA app will give you free charging. The Electrify America app will not.

DavidInEngland

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mamba Green Taycan, Miami Blue Boxster 718, Mercedes-Benz A Class, Mini Cooper S
Country flag
Last week I took my first road trip, which included my first experience charging away from my house at an EA location, driving from Atlanta to Nashville and back. I was nervous with range anxiety as well as confused how to plan the charging stops before I began, and so I thought I would share some newbie lessons for others who like me are clueless. After reading posts here, I downloaded a number of apps (A Better Route Planner, Plugshare, EA, Chargepoint) in addition to Porsche Connect to help me plan my route and charging. To my surprise each of these apps yielded very different suggestions for charging stops. Porsche Connect was the only app that required me to stop once, whereas all of the others required two stops, which seemed way too conservative to me. I decided to go with Porsche but was ready with a couple of backup locations if my range depleted earlier than Porsche expected.

Driving conditions were great: sunny and around 60 degrees, and on the highway I had cruise control set at 79 mph and was in Normal driving mode. Leaving ATL at 100% charge, I hit some normal Atlanta traffic but nothing bad. Fortunately, I made it easily to the single predicted Connect charging stop: an EA in TN where I used a 350KW charger. When I reached the stop I had 79 miles of range left, so all the other apps that would have had me stop earlier were unnecessary. I had traveled 176 mi, so the indicated range of my 4S was 252 mi, 10% better than the EPA estimate.

tempImageOTp8yA.png

My only challenge then was figuring out how to use the EA charger. After plugging it in, going through the menu on the charger, and looking through the EA app, I didn't see how I could start and get free charging. A call to their customer service from the number on the charger yielded a helpful woman who told me I needed to use the Porsche Connect app, which I had looked at but didn't see how to do it. This is somewhat convoluted: click on the bottom left icon Explore, which brings up the map. I saw an icon for my car and another with a number in it, which is the charger. Next, click the number icon which then brings up the EA station, then click a button to start charging, then select which charger I was using at the station, and then plug in the charger after the app was going. I am not sure how I would have figured this out on my own!

In all, it took me over 10 minutes to figure out how to use the charger, but only 24 min. of charging to take me from 31% to 83%, which got me the rest of the way to Nashville with about half charge left where I had the hotel valet plug it in overnight. My return trip the next day, I stopped at the same charger but it went much faster since I actually new what I was doing.

tempImageu1nCbV.png

In summary, my experience, is that the Porsche Connect app worked well for both route planning and for charging, but it needs some serious redesign as it is not intuitive or user friendly. I also feel much more comfortable traveling with the car now after seeing the real world range of the car. Hope this is helpful for other new owners!
Love the colour might have gone for it had it been possible to see one before buying.

SteveDC

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 308QV
Country flag

tempImageOTp8yA.png

tempImageu1nCbV.png

One video on YT says you only get 150 kW charging speed on Electrify America if you have installed a 150 adapter in the car. Without it, you are limited to 50 kW charging speed. Did you have that 150 kW adapter installed on your car? Sounds like it may be a necessity to get fast (50+ kW) charging. Steve

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
One video on YT says you only get 150 kW charging speed on Electrify America if you have installed a 150 adapter in the car. Without it, you are limited to 50 kW charging speed. Did you have that 150 kW adapter installed on your car? Sounds like it may be a necessity to get fast (50+ kW) charging. Steve
By adapter do you mean the 150kw onboard DC charger? I ordered it on mine per dealer suggestion.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
@SteveDC : please stop believing everything you see on YouTube and rely on this board for information about a Taycan.

This is copied from a post from Dave :
  1. no known 22 kW AC chargers in North America - there is no published specification/standard for that type of J-1772 EVSE in the North American Market (Canada, US, Mexico) - 19.2 kW is the maximum charge rate with J-1772 AC L2 charging for the North American market
    1. even _IF_ there was a modification or new standard you would need a few things for this to happen
      1. a 240 volt circuit at 115 amps (92 amps charge rate)
      2. someone would need to manufacture a 22 kW charger for the North American Market
      3. modification of the J-1772 standard published an approved
  2. 350 kW chargers are FastDC (not AC) chargers and are 800 volts - but can range in charging speed from 25-350 kW @ 800 volts
    1. the maximum rate the Taycan can charge at 800V is 270 kW
    2. no optional equipment needs to be installed to achieve this charge rate at an appropriate charger in North America (Electrify America chargers are 800V and some are 350 kW maximum rate, others are 800V 150 kW maximum rate depending on the site).
  3. 400V FastDC chargers also exist in North America - most of these existing 400V chargers are 50 kW or less
    1. but there is potentially some 400V chargers that can go to 150 kW (although they are difficult to find (non-existent?), and it's doubtful future new charging locations won't installing 800V chargers
      1. i.e. no one going to the trouble to setup and permit a brand new charging site in 2022 and beyond is likely to say - yeah let's install a 400V charger instead of a 800V chargers) - the 800V trend and future is clear…
    2. the $460 Porsche options increases the maximum charge rate for FastDC 400V chargers
      1. if you do NOT option this $460 feature the maximum charge rate for the Taycan at a 400V charger is 50 kW - 1/3rd slower than 150 kW maximum
      2. if you do NOT option this $460 feature the maximum charge rate of the Taycan at an 800V charger is 270 kW
        1. which is unchanged with or with out this option.
    3. it has no effect on the Taycan's ability to charge with 800V chargers

I realize you are new to the board, and to Taycan's, but I highly suggest searching for confirmation on the board before posting incorrect information from YouTube.

Mr. 2021 Taycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@SteveDC : please stop believing everything you see on YouTube and rely on this board for information about a Taycan.

This is copied from a post from Dave :
  1. no known 22 kW AC chargers in North America - there is no published specification/standard for that type of J-1772 EVSE in the North American Market (Canada, US, Mexico) - 19.2 kW is the maximum charge rate with J-1772 AC L2 charging for the North American market
    1. even _IF_ there was a modification or new standard you would need a few things for this to happen
      1. a 240 volt circuit at 115 amps (92 amps charge rate)
      2. someone would need to manufacture a 22 kW charger for the North American Market
      3. modification of the J-1772 standard published an approved
  2. 350 kW chargers are FastDC (not AC) chargers and are 800 volts - but can range in charging speed from 25-350 kW @ 800 volts
    1. the maximum rate the Taycan can charge at 800V is 270 kW
    2. no optional equipment needs to be installed to achieve this charge rate at an appropriate charger in North America (Electrify America chargers are 800V and some are 350 kW maximum rate, others are 800V 150 kW maximum rate depending on the site).
  3. 400V FastDC chargers also exist in North America - most of these existing 400V chargers are 50 kW or less
    1. but there is potentially some 400V chargers that can go to 150 kW (although they are difficult to find (non-existent?), and it's doubtful future new charging locations won't installing 800V chargers
      1. i.e. no one going to the trouble to setup and permit a brand new charging site in 2022 and beyond is likely to say - yeah let's install a 400V charger instead of a 800V chargers) - the 800V trend and future is clear…
    2. the $460 Porsche options increases the maximum charge rate for FastDC 400V chargers
      1. if you do NOT option this $460 feature the maximum charge rate for the Taycan at a 400V charger is 50 kW - 1/3rd slower than 150 kW maximum
      2. if you do NOT option this $460 feature the maximum charge rate of the Taycan at an 800V charger is 270 kW
        1. which is unchanged with or with out this option.
    3. it has no effect on the Taycan's ability to charge with 800V chargers

I realize you are new to the board, and to Taycan's, but I highly suggest searching for confirmation on the board before posting incorrect information from YouTube.

Thanks to thecoloradokid for reiterating Taycan charging realities. If I had this information when I ordered I would have saved $460 USD for the On-Board 150 kW/400V DC Charger I will never use. If you live in the USA you don't need it either and Porsche NA should make sure those ordering understand this issue. Be sure to discuss with your Porsche sales manager (not sales person) when ordering.