Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here's a 2:38 lap in my 2020 Taycan 4S from the PCA Schnell Fest event on 2/25/2022:

This is 5 seconds faster (!) than my previous best time at COTA in the Taycan, and I attribute much of it to tires. I swapped out the factory-installed Michelin Pilot Spot 4 summer tires for MPS4S in 255/40ZR-20 (F) and slightly-wider than stock rears 295/35ZR-20. They're much stickier and better suited for track driving than the factory tires.
Sponsored

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I have a lot of respect for those that actually track their Taycans. The concept of using the full design envelope of the vehicle feels right to me. I lack the skill or stomach for serious G-forces on a continuous basis but envy those that do.

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
You were working those tires from the sounds of it! How many laps could you push that hard? I’ve found the Michelins can degrade and chunk when you make them sing for long runs.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
$300 - $600 - but that's not the real cost - the accelerated brake wear and tire wear of track days are the _REAL_ cost - and if you indulge in track insurance that's an additional cost

I've been doing track days for about 13 years - my rule of thumb - is that it's $1200-$2000/day in direct and indirect costs for a track day.

OP
OP
Edward

Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a lot of respect for those that actually track their Taycans. The concept of using the full design envelope of the vehicle feels right to me. I lack the skill or stomach for serious G-forces on a continuous basis but envy those that do.
I suggest doing an Intro to HPDE event with any track / DE club. PCA in Texas also does it. The intro events are <$350 and provide good classroom plus instructor time to safely learn your car's limits.

OP
OP
Edward

Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
$300 - $600 - but that's not the real cost - the accelerated brake wear and tire wear of track days are the _REAL_ cost - and if you indulge in track insurance that's an additional cost

I've been doing track days for about 13 years - my rule of thumb - is that it's $1200-$2000/day in direct and indirect costs for a track day.
Ah, you said day, not weekend. :) Definitely accurate in my book. Here's what I spent for my track day:
  • $2100 for 4 Michelin tires from Tire Rack + installation at my local independent Porsche repair shop
  • $1100 for new OE brake pads at the same shop
  • $200 for brake fluid flush
  • $425 for 1 day HPDE event fee
  • $700 for track insurance policy from OpenTrack (10% deductible)
  • $21.88 for 110 kWh worth of charging

That said, the tires and brakes were wear items from a previous track day plus 15K of street driving, so it'd have to be done at some point anyway. The only other consumable on a Taycan is windshield wipers, but I haven't done those yet. :)

Tracking an EV is cheaper than tracking an ICE car. I was filling up once, if not twice, a day in my 911. 15 gallons of premium unleaded is a lot more than EV charging, but obviously I get back to the action much faster. But on track, I've had things break in the ICE car like fuel pump or shift linkage cable, which are not applicable to an EV.

@David - I definitely got my money's worth from the OE brake pads! (see attached photos)
I debated finding heavier duty brake pads (e.g. Hawk HPS, Pagid RS29), but it just didn't seem appropriate for what's supposed to be used as a luxury sport sedan 99% of the time.

Porsche Taycan 2:38 lap at COTA PXL_20220309_211717965

Porsche Taycan 2:38 lap at COTA PXL_20220309_211630020

Porsche Taycan 2:38 lap at COTA PXL_20220309_211703613

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@David - I definitely got my money's worth from the OE brake pads! (see attached photos)
I debated finding heavier duty brake pads (e.g. Hawk HPS, Pagid RS29), but it just didn't seem appropriate for what's supposed to be used as a luxury sport sedan 99% of the time.
Did you try regenerative braking or did you have it disabled the whole time?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
you can not disable regenerative braking on the Taycan (or most EV's - all until someone shows me an EV where you can disable it 100%)

so yes regen had to be enabled.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Ah, you said day, not weekend. :) Definitely accurate in my book. Here's what I spent for my track day:
  • $2100 for 4 Michelin tires from Tire Rack + installation at my local independent Porsche repair shop
  • $1100 for new OE brake pads at the same shop
  • $200 for brake fluid flush
  • $425 for 1 day HPDE event fee
  • $700 for track insurance policy from OpenTrack (10% deductible)
  • $21.88 for 110 kWh worth of charging

That said, the tires and brakes were wear items from a previous track day plus 15K of street driving, so it'd have to be done at some point anyway. The only other consumable on a Taycan is windshield wipers, but I haven't done those yet. :)

Tracking an EV is cheaper than tracking an ICE car. I was filling up once, if not twice, a day in my 911. 15 gallons of premium unleaded is a lot more than EV charging, but obviously I get back to the action much faster. But on track, I've had things break in the ICE car like fuel pump or shift linkage cable, which are not applicable to an EV.

PXL_20220309_211717965.jpg

PXL_20220309_211630020.jpg

PXL_20220309_211703613.jpg
ahhh yes:
  • track day costs
  • tire costs - one set of new tires = 6-9 track days on my GT3
  • brake wear costs
  • brake fluid upgrade/flushes
  • Fuel costs - my GT3 can consume $400/day in full if I'm running full sessions at pace
  • aggressive fluid swaps off track (engine, diff, transmission, brake, cooling) - wear is accelerated - I'm doing fluids twice a year for 3-4 track weekends between services
  • track insurance costs
  • [optional costs] - track support crew + vehicle transportation
  • hotel costs
  • travel costs
  • food…
it's an expensive but super fun hobby - OMG sooooo much fun

here is my 2020 Taycan Turbo @ Laguna Seca

and here is my 2018 GT3 @ COTA (2:28.xx - a personal best)

Last edited:

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
oh and here is an Ice Driving course I partcipated in this past Feb. 2022 w/Porsche where we flogged 911 GT3's and 911 Cupcars in finland for 3 days…I highly recommend any Ice Driving course or Dirtfish rally school if you're serious about being a better performance driver (even on a fully dry track) - my participation in these types of courses move my driving to "next level" - it will make you faster/smoother/more precise…

in the non-cup-car courses they also have Taycan's in the mix for the ice driving - talking to other participant it was super awesome fun flogging/drifting a Taycan on a full ice course.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'd recommend doing either a PCA track day or Porsche Driving School - at least once - you'll have a blast - and given your level of experience you'll find the g-forces are not that unbearable - it's super fun and with PCA or Porsche Driving school super safe. And you get to drive the vehicle with out worrying about speeding tickets or wreckless driving tickets.
  • PCA HPDE track day in your local region
  • Porsche Driving School in Alabama
  • Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta or Los Angeles (sign up for 2 or 3 "experiences" - 90 min each)
If you don't have track experience I reccomend tracking a gas car - EV's are fun, but have additional "logistics" to deal with because most tracks lack the charging infrastructure to keep the battery topped off between sessions.

You will have sooooooooooo much fun!!! Doing it at least once should be on most "car-peoples" bucket list - you don't have to be stupid like me and make it a hobby - but if you're car person you owe it to yourself to have a high performance day on a track at least once. You will come away transformed.

RAHRCR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Panamera Sport Turismo 4S
Country flag
I'd recommend doing either a PCA track day or Porsche Driving School - at least once - you'll have a blast - and given your level of experience you'll find the g-forces are not that unbearable - it's super fun and with PCA or Porsche Driving school super safe. And you get to drive the vehicle with out worrying about speeding tickets or wreckless driving tickets.
  • PCA HPDE track day in your local region
  • Porsche Driving School in Alabama
  • Porsche Experience Center in Atlanta or Los Angeles (sign up for 2 or 3 "experiences" - 90 min each)
If you don't have track experience I reccomend tracking a gas car - EV's are fun, but have additional "logistics" to deal with because most tracks lack the charging infrastructure to keep the battery topped off between sessions.

You will have sooooooooooo much fun!!! Doing it at least once should be on most "car-peoples" bucket list - you don't have to be stupid like me and make it a hobby - but if you're car person you owe it to yourself to have a high performance day on a track at least once. You will come away transformed.
Well you do make it sound pretty appealing. I really like the idea of getting on the track. My reluctance comes from high speed carting I did a few years ago. I was decently fast but the g-forces were way too much for me. I presumed that the feeling would be similar. Will reserve a spot on my bucket list though….it sounds like a blast.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

NOTE: this is now why I'm no longer phased by a track day where you can do a track event and get the car provided by someone else for $1500-$2000 days - it seems expensive vs. tracking your own car, but I've actually learned that is insanely cheap once you factor in all the direct and indirect expenses…but I'm now a sucker for anything high performance and porsche has wrecked my sense of "cost" - they've completely won and beaten me in submission on that front.

but honestly you can go to the porsche driving school 1/2/3 day program for about $1300/day - and that is a deal given what's involved - trust me!!!

a $1500 track experience that includes the car, logistics and instruction - is cheap cheap cheap cheap vs. doing it on your own!!!

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Here's a 2:38 lap in my 2020 Taycan 4S from the PCA Schnell Fest event on 2/25/2022:

This is 5 seconds faster (!) than my previous best time at COTA in the Taycan, and I attribute much of it to tires. I swapped out the factory-installed Michelin Pilot Spot 4 summer tires for MPS4S in 255/40ZR-20 (F) and slightly-wider than stock rears 295/35ZR-20. They're much stickier and better suited for track driving than the factory tires.
OMG I"m sooo jealous - Taycan between turns 11 & 12 at COTA - sooooo much fun.

147 mph - congrats! not often you can get a Taycan to 147 mph consequence free!!

I love me some track days!!!
Sponsored