nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
So I hit just about 1,000 miles on my GTS ST, and celebrated by adding another 2,500 miles in 8 days across the Midwest to NE USA. Without too many specifics on where I live, my wife, toddler and I went from the greater Chicago area to Connecticut and back, stopping exclusively at Electrify America chargers, more or less on the following route (add a few hundred miles from my starting point to the first/last chargers, and at the destination where I charged up a few times over the days we were there):
https://abetterrouteplanner.com/?plan_uuid=9d534ac9-42ff-403b-ab51-571d104edc7f

Porsche Taycan 2,500 miles in 8 days in Taycan GTS 1660879725203

The quick summary: The car and charging network worked great, with more time probably lost to dealing with a toddler than charging hassles. The Infiniti and Subaru that tried to race me were left in the dust, and I need to find a spot to put my IPass toll transponder so that it actually works next time.

The specifics: I went a total of 2,544 miles and fast charged 845 kWh, for almost exactly 3 miles/kWh. Given that it was my first road trip with an EV, I played it relatively safe, especially for the first few stops, rarely going above 70-75, with the return trip being more like 75-85, with weather somehow being near perfect 70-85F with clear skies for almost the entire trip.

Chargers: Every single charger worked with plug and charge on the first try, and averaged about 100 kW in the 8h20m I spent charging, never feeling like the speed was holding me back. The only site I had issues at was the Newburgh Walmart that only had 2 chargers operational, and so I needed to wait ~20min for one of the chargers to free up. Other than that, the chargers were basically uneventful, but I did also put a good bit of planning into choosing the right chargers such that I'd have backups if things fell apart.

Cargo capacity: This thing can hold a shocking amount of cargo, even with the luggage cover installed and without any seats folded down. I threw in a case of beer and a case of water because I had the extra room. The front trunk is great for a bag of more delicate/expensive electronics that I didn't want in the open.

The driving: Cruise control isn't exactly what most people think about first when they hear "Porsche", but that was unsurprisingly the most common way I used the car for this stretch. Not being sure what the car without InnoDrive is like, I'm certainly a fan of the automation it has. Nudging me a bit into my lane as I'm passing semis through the Pennsylvania hills at night is helpful without being overbearing, and dealing with stop and go traffic in a way that left me feeling downright relaxed was a feeling I never expected to have in Chicago traffic. I do wish it were a tiny bit less sensitive when changing lanes though, it would commonly act as though a lane change meant that traffic in the next lane didn't exist only to see it half a second later and cut the acceleration.

Reactions: I'm sure the Acid Green PTS is the main reason for it, but this thing attracts attention like nothing else. Had a couple cars try to race me, another take a video of me as they passed, multiple gawkers both driving and parked, and probably anything else you can imagine. Shockingly no speeding tickets though.

Overall: This thing will only become more of a road trip beast as charging infrastructure improves, with more chargers at service plazas rather than Walmarts, and I could definitely see myself ordering the next model of Taycan if nothing else better shows up.
Sponsored

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Great report. Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear no real issues with EA- I've had really pretty good success with them too.
Jealous of the PTS! You are a brave man going with the Acid Green, but I applaud your nerve for pulling the trigger on it. If I had it to do again I would probably also opt for PTS as the draw of having a one off car and some of those gorgeous colors is really irresistible.
Any regrets on the color choice?

OP
OP
nickmdp

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
Great report. Thanks for sharing. Glad to hear no real issues with EA- I've had really pretty good success with them too.
Jealous of the PTS! You are a brave man going with the Acid Green, but I applaud your nerve for pulling the trigger on it. If I had it to do again I would probably also opt for PTS as the draw of having a one off car and some of those gorgeous colors is really irresistible.
Any regrets on the color choice?
No regrets on the color at all. I was worried about it a bit before delivery, but since I saw it in person, I've been loving it.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
The toll transponder needs to go in the spot right by your rear view mirror that has all the black dots if you have the thermal and noise insulated glass option.

OP
OP
nickmdp

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
The toll transponder needs to go in the spot right by your rear view mirror that has all the black dots if you have the thermal and noise insulated glass option.
Yep, that's where I had it, but the missed tolls on my account and awkward scene at an Ohio toll lane where I was stuck at the barricade calling for help because it wasn't being picked up would seem to indicate an issue with it. Thankfully I have some time to figure it all out, even tried having it in the front trunk on the way back as I saw a few others mentioned worked well for them, but no luck there.

Bresdo1962

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I got the transponder that attaches to my front license plate...works great

OP
OP
nickmdp

nickmdp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan GTS ST
Country flag
I got the transponder that attaches to my front license plate...works great
Yeah, that's sort of the conclusion I'm coming to, but since I don't use a front license plate, I'll need to think up a good way to attach it.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
I concur.

Hirschaj

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan CT4 - Mamba Green, 2022 Challenger
Country flag
Yep, that's where I had it, but the missed tolls on my account and awkward scene at an Ohio toll lane where I was stuck at the barricade calling for help because it wasn't being picked up would seem to indicate an issue with it. Thankfully I have some time to figure it all out, even tried having it in the front trunk on the way back as I saw a few others mentioned worked well for them, but no luck there.
Oh man, that sucks. Hopefully you find the right spot.

Electron

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche, Audi
Country flag
Great to hear your trip went so well. I’m in the same region of the country and slightly concerned about charging infrastructure.

I’m interested to hear how you solve the transponder problem. I also ordered the noise insulated glass option; I didn’t realize it blocked transponder signals.

Elroy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, VW Golf GTI Mk8, Ford Raptor 6.2L
Country flag
Thanks so much for your detail writeup. At this stage, good preparation is the key and Electrify America and Porsche dealers are the best bets for trouble-free charging. Blink, EVgo, ChargePoint and Volta are less reliable and slower.

jcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' BMW X5, 22' Taycan GTS
Country flag
I also have the noise/thermal glass which I appreciate but have difficulties with transponder function. My garage parking at work utilizes a transponder and I cannot for the life a me get it to work unless I hold the transponder out of the car as I approach the sensor.

Genau

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I also have the noise/thermal glass which I appreciate but have difficulties with transponder function. My garage parking at work utilizes a transponder and I cannot for the life a me get it to work unless I hold the transponder out of the car as I approach the sensor.
Did you try locating the transponder in one of the designated locations for vehicles with the insulated glass option?
Porsche Taycan 2,500 miles in 8 days in Taycan GTS 1666960904967

jcg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21' BMW X5, 22' Taycan GTS
Country flag
Did you try locating the transponder in one of the designated locations for vehicles with the insulated glass option?
1666960904967.jpeg
Thanks i tried those locations without success. Also feel somewhat pressured to act quickly with a line of cars usually behind me