First Name
Leti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
1653578740583.png

How's this? Make sure you set Ionity as "Preferred and Exclusive" in the sidebar settings.
Hello Submatrix, thank you for your response, I really appreciate your help.
I got this proposition too but wanted to add a second charging stop close to Rotterdam "Sandelingen Oost" in order to arrive with about 50% SOC.
As I want to precondition the battery for speedy charging I manually entered the stopovers into the car planner, this is where all goes wrong and it puts the second charging station before the first and then I arrive with -x% SOC.
How can I plan this route in the car? Actually, the car does not even find Ionity Sandelingen. Tried it with a different route.
The "along the route" function also seems not to work properly.

Porsche Taycan 2,500km family roadtrip - Dublin (Ireland) to Athens (Greece) - in a Taycan 4S. IMG_B6260381F420-1
Sponsored

Taycan-lady

First Name
Leti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
1653578740583.png

How's this? Make sure you set Ionity as "Preferred and Exclusive" in the sidebar settings.
I got this proposition too but wanted to add a second charging stop close to Rotterdam "Sandelingen Oost" in order to arrive with about 50% SOC.
As I want to precondition the battery for speedy charging I manually entered the stopovers into the car planner, this is where all goes wrong and it puts the second charging station before the first and then I arrive with -x% SOC.
How can I plan this route in the car? Actually, the car does not even find Ionity Sandelingen. Tried it with a different route.

IMG_B6260381F420-1.jpeg
Here when I try to plan this in the Porsche app. I enter the final destination and then add the two IONITY Charging stopovers in order to arrive with 50% SOC at my final destination. In the final plan, it does not consider these as charging stations, see image below.
Porsche Taycan 2,500km family roadtrip - Dublin (Ireland) to Athens (Greece) - in a Taycan 4S. IMG_0760 2

Porsche Taycan 2,500km family roadtrip - Dublin (Ireland) to Athens (Greece) - in a Taycan 4S. IMG_0761.PNG

What is wrong?
Thanks for any help.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Excellent and very helpful write-up, thank you. I just got my car and am planning my second short trip 400km one way from Luxembourg to Rotterdam, and I am already running into planning issues. For example, I would like to plan a simple route and use only Ionity chargers. The Porsche app shows one way, a better route planning indicates another way, and none provides me with the preferred charging stations. When entering the route in the car and manually adding the Ionity charging stations, the planner puts the second charging station before the first charging station, turning the route into a 600+ km route one way. Where is the logic?
I did a 2 x 200 km highway trip today. Needed to charge once and arrived home with 26%. If you can charge in Rotterdam you will only need a very short charge. It should be enough to do a 10 minute charge in Wellin. Although this one is very busy. One of the only fast chargers between Luxemburg and brussels. Might be better to find something between brussels and Antwerp or in the Netherlands.

I sent the route to my car with my phone with the Ionity charger I wanted to use but it didn’t make it a charge stop at first. I than added the Ionity charger in Calais manually and it did use it as a charge stop. I had to remove the other one. Battery was pre conditioned to 40 degrees when I arrived at Ionity. You can change the order of the stops manually it the app and in your car.

Good luck.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Here when I try to plan this in the Porsche app. I enter the final destination and then add the two IONITY Charging stopovers in order to arrive with 50% SOC at my final destination. In the final plan, it does not consider these as charging stations, see image below.
IMG_0760 2.jpg

IMG_0761.PNG

What is wrong?
Thanks for any help.
The app doesn't take the charge stops in account. I had the same but you should sent it to your car and change it there. My wife did it today once we left. When I entered the Ionity station it automatically removed the charger it had planned. I do have intelligent range manger don't know if it makes a difference.

Taycan-lady

First Name
Leti
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
The app doesn't take the charge stops in account. I had the same but you should sent it to your car and change it there. My wife did it today once we left. When I entered the Ionity station it automatically removed the charger it had planned. I do have intelligent range manger don't know if it makes a difference.
Thank you for your help, we will try it when leaving :)

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you for a great, great report. I have a silver 4S sedan and have shown your pictures to my wife, who believes that a 250 miles one way trip in the Taycan would be insanely uncomfortable for 4 people. I am originally from Milan and also am 6’5” so I get the seat position compromise. Thanks again!

Reactions: IRL

Silveral

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks @tigerbalm

Hotels - searching was a family project! Everyone was given a different city to research - from hotels to sightseeing.

I think Booking.com was the favourite initial source, followed by direct contact with the hotel to validate the parking and EV charging. If they couldn't / wouldn't confirm either (in writing), they were 'disqualified'. We found some hotels also had better deals available when we called them directly and agreed to join their loyalty club - sometimes doing this also entitled us to other benefits such as upgrades, free cancellation, and / or free breakfast etc.

Until we had finalised our route and dates, we make numerous overlapping (refundable) bookings with multiple hotels.

Headlight adjustment - I just went down to photograph the message that appears on start-up ... and it didn't appear (Murphy's Law)!!! Maybe it is because the car is underground and not receiving a signal. :rolleyes: I will check again later and send a photo.

Local speed limits - apart from Italy, where it seemed to randomise speed limits, the car seemed to show them correctly for France and Greece.

Emergency numbers - thanks for the extra detail on this - I didn't know that 112 worked without a SIM or how it gets routed! I did know that it worked in Ireland but it was just one of the headings I used to make sure everyone in the family knew what to do in an emergency.
in Italy speed limits are just a “suggestion”. They don’t really mean anything. Lol

• Haha

submatrix

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan
Country flag

IMG_B6260381F420-1.jpeg
Not sure what happened on your end, but you can set your desired destination charge % in the settings. If I set it to 50%, this is what I get:

Porsche Taycan 2,500km family roadtrip - Dublin (Ireland) to Athens (Greece) - in a Taycan 4S. 1653630658675

OP
OP
IRL

IRL

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Excellent and very helpful write-up, thank you. I just got my car and am planning my second short trip 400km one way from Luxembourg to Rotterdam, and I am already running into planning issues. For example, I would like to plan a simple route and use only Ionity chargers. The Porsche app shows one way, a better route planning indicates another way, and none provides me with the preferred charging stations. When entering the route in the car and manually adding the Ionity charging stations, the planner puts the second charging station before the first charging station, turning the route into a 600+ km route one way. Where is the logic?
Thank you, and congratulations on the car - it looks amazing.

Regarding charge planning: I eventually just gave up trying to make sense of what the car / app was suggesting or trying to get it to do what I wanted. It shouldn't be (and doesn't need to be) as difficult as it is. There is only so much intellectual energy I will invest in compensating for a poor user experience. I will persist up a point (i.e. where I am confident that I am not being stupid!), but then I will revert to an easier / less stressful solution that I can trust.

My 'easier' solution was:
  • I used ABRP / PlugShare to get an overview of the charging options available on whatever route I was planning to go.
  • I then picked those that I preferred (e.g. along the route, Ionity, good facilities, plenty of chargers ....) at the estimated distance / time that I thought I would need a break (e.g. every three hours).
  • I then typed the address into the My Porsche App and 'sent' the destination to the car.
  • Because I had already calculated the range in ABRP and I was not trying to squeeze the last mile / km out of the battery, I was always well within range and it never needed to suggest a charging stop. If it did, I just deleted them.
Doing it this way came at the expense of the car not having the battery 'pre-conditioned' for charging at the destination - but this was a compromise I was willing to make (as the family invariably needed longer to recharge than the car)!

Best of luck with the trip.

OP
OP
IRL

IRL

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thank you for a great, great report. I have a silver 4S sedan and have shown your pictures to my wife, who believes that a 250 miles one way trip in the Taycan would be insanely uncomfortable for 4 people. I am originally from Milan and also am 6’5” so I get the seat position compromise. Thanks again!
Thank you, delighted it helped.

Unless you are all 6'4" then I wouldn't hesitate taking it - it is more than just leg room that makes for a comfortable journey. I honestly had no complaints from any of my family regarding comfort (other than the hard middle seat). Maybe plan a break half-way as a preventative measure! Blame me if doesn't work out! :)

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Doing it this way came at the expense of the car not having the battery 'pre-conditioned' for charging at the destination - but this was a compromise I was willing to make (as the family invariably needed longer to recharge than the car)!
I am surprised if your battery did not heat up nearly enough by driving so many km’s each time. I have experienced that the battery easily gets around 30 to 33 degrees C. Even if I did not get preheating at say Fastned, I still got up to 230 kW

OP
OP
IRL

IRL

First Name
D
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am surprised if your battery did not heat up nearly enough by driving so many km’s each time. I have experienced that the battery easily gets around 30 to 33 degrees C. Even if I did not get preheating at say Fastned, I still got up to 230 kW
Exactly right. It was typically in the early thirties each time I stopped, and the charging speed never seemed to be impaired.

I was more trying to declare that my route planning process didn't include pre-conditioning, which might impact others in different circumstances.

Thanks for helping to clarify.

Gooner

First Name
Henrik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Hi.

Speed: I didn't log my average speed but our schedule meant that we were never really stuck in traffic, (except once in Italy due to a bad crash), so we were almost always travelling at close to (but never over!😇) the speed limit. The volume of trucks on the road in Italy did slow us down at times (particularly when they were passing each other) but those were some of the times when we could enjoy the acceleration of the car. Sticking within the speed limits in this car is a constant character-building test of restraint!

Range: Although our driving schedule meant I never had to 'worry' about range, I had originally started my planning based on a very comfortable range of 320km. I reduced it to this estimate, firstly because the car was going to be fully loaded, and secondly because I didn't want to be relying on chargers when I was down to low single-digit percentages left in the battery. Furthermore, I wanted to enjoy driving the car! Despite this, anecdotally, I regularly noticed estimated ranges of well over 350km on the dash.

Hope this helps.
You should be able to log on to my.porsche.com to access and see your trip data.
Sponsored