-20% loss in battery capacity due to outside temperature drop.

jlee504

First Name
jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
targa gts
Country flag
I just experienced this today, I didn't realize the temperature impact was that dramatic. and even driving around I'm losing 10% chunks vs the couple of percent a week ago when it was still 60 degrees plus. Now its in the high 30s to low 50s and my range has plummeted.

crazy...another reason I can't get rid of my gas car.
My range drops from 260-280 actual highway miles in 70ish degree summer to 210-230 in 30ish degree winter.

So yes, it's normal.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Try using range mode more often, use the AC less and / or rely on the heated seats for warmth (use much less energy than the heat pump).

All battery only EVs have this 'feature''.
You are lucky that you have a heat pump. South of France spec do not have the heat pump. And now driving in northern Sweden I miss that option. Not having a heat pump really sucks the juice out of the car. And not even worth me trying to convince wife to just using seat heating instead. ?

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
And not even worth me trying to convince wife to just using seat heating instead. ?
This made me laugh!
My first Plug-in hybrid needed the petrol engine running for the heater to work so I just used the heated seats myself but also couldn't get away with it if my wife was with me.
The current one has a heat pump and so the heater is just a hit on range, but rarely enough to be a problem on most journeys.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Does heat pump works automatically when temperatures drops down?
I have it, but I have no clue about that :facepalm:

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
Thanks to all for this thread.
While I was up to estimated 250 miles at 85% in August (250m/85%/80F), I have been watching mileage creep down. Last charge was down at 220m/85%/45F. Everyone posting their Taycan's behaviors (Miles/SOC/Temp) is very useful. I just started keeping a charging log so I can evaluate a pattern.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Thanks to all for this thread.
While I was up to estimated 250 miles at 85% in August (250m/85%/80F), I have been watching mileage creep down. Last charge was down at 220m/85%/45F. Everyone posting their Taycan's behaviors (Miles/SOC/Temp) is very useful. I just started keeping a charging log so I can evaluate a pattern.
my reported range has gone done a lot as well but here in FLA it isn't weather related. the guess O meter seems to fluctuate because of recent driving

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Does heat pump works automatically when temperatures drops down?
I have it, but I have no clue about that :facepalm:
Yes, it is more efficient to have it than not. Just let the software take care of the management side of things you need not do a thing.

Reactions: B61

356B

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
9114s
Another data point. It was 52F here today. The cabin heater has not been very responsive (if it is working at all), but I had the cabin temp set to 87F (cabin was ambient 65F). Estimated Range at 52F/85% is 220miles (Cabin heat at max). I took the 4S for a quick 20 mile run, seat heat at max, steering wheel heat on. I then turned off climate control and estimated range jumped to 235 miles instantly (up 15 miles). I don't know if the guess-o-meter is making the change based on thermostat setting or current draw (again, cabin temp is not going up), but it was a good jump in positive range. It would be helpful if the car had a screen that shows accessory current draw. But we will see what Porsche comes up with in the future.

DMTaycan

First Name
Deya
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, 718, Audi 8, Audi A5
Country flag
I received my TT last May and only experienced the higher temperatures of +15 degrees Celsius since then. Right now over here it's between 5 and 10 degrees and I'm already seeing a big loss in my range. Before I could drive 360-370 km with a 100% full battery, but it has already dropped to 303 km and it's not even that cold outside.

I know the outside temp. does affect the battery capacity, but already 20% less, is that normal?
Yes. I also became very worried last winter [got the car Dec 2020] with range dropping to 225 miles, but in the summer months climbed to 275 miles [on a mixture of normal driving, not trying to protect the range] and now dropping back towards the 225 with this cold weather this week in the UK. I am not concerned this time. The problem is that for peace of mind you may end up doing what I did, report my concerns to Porsche, they tested and said it was fine, but I only 100% believed that come the summer!

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
My car is currently in Connecticut where the temps have dropped, 44F at the moment. My car is parked outside. Tonight I went to a new to me EA station in Stamford Connecticut. I preconditioned and was at 13% SOC upon arrival. Great charging session. Peaked at 256kW and was still at 160kw at 68% SOC. For all the EA bashing on the forum, some of us have had positive experiences. I have yet to get stranded at an EA charger and I have owned my Taycan since April 2020.

Porsche Taycan -20% loss in battery capacity due to outside temperature drop. 20211104_192246

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
My car is currently in Connecticut where the temps have dropped, 44F at the moment. My car is parked outside. Tonight I went to a new to me EA station in Stamford Connecticut. I preconditioned and was at 13% SOC upon arrival. Great charging session. Peaked at 256kW and was still at 160kw at 68% SOC. For all the EA bashing on the forum, some of us have had positive experiences. I have yet to get stranded at an EA charger and I have owned my Taycan since April 2020.

20211104_192246.jpg
I've rarely seen charge numbers like that.

erhand25

First Name
Erhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Range estimate shows instant mile based in current battery temp etc. if you have it plugged and schedule morning departure time, it will pre heat the battery and will give more real range.

It will also go up once battery heats up.

erhand25

First Name
Erhan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
And also it is better than Tesla (currently have mode x and 3) showing 300 miles but only goes 240 during cold weather.
Taycan goes as much as it shows
Sponsored