First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
Country flag
Hi guys,

I asked in some previous topic regarding wheels but didn't get any answer. I've just put a deposit on my CT4S and still have some time to change specs.
I'm planning to use my Taycan as a daily and was wondering about ride quality difference between 20" and 21" wheels. I didn't have chance to test drive two sets of wheels. I only drove 21" and they felt a little harsh but it was acceptable for me, Taycan has a really good suspension.

Are 20" much softer experience or it's barley noticeable?
For now 21" have one upside for me and it's the look but there are a few downsides like lower range, higher price point and probably a little worse ride quality. Can anyone share their experience with different wheel sizes.

sry for my english it's not my main language ;)
Sponsored

fullmetalbaal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I test drove both quite a bit before deciding.
The air suspension is brilliant, and the car rides well either way, but I do feel that the 21" are a bit harsher. Not enough to disqualify or even be an issue, but enough to notice IMHO.
For non-air suspension cars the equation might look different.

I ended up going with 20", but more for range reasons.
The car is already a bit short on that front, and there's a non-trivial difference between 20" and 21".
And at least in my experience, range differences for different wheel sizes in the real world can be worse than on the spec sheet.

OP
OP
BartA

BartA

First Name
Bart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Macan GTS
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. In my country CT4S comes with air suspension as standard. I love the 21" Cross Turismo Design Design wheels. Maybe a word harsh was not the best choice to discribe my experience with 21". The cars is incredibly comfortable for what it is, and it is a sports cars it feels like it. So it can't ba as comfortable as I don't know... Mercedes S class. It's a different type of car.

But I was just wondering how much comfortable can 20" wheel be on Taycan. Looks like it's not that big of a difference.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
I changed 21" (cross turismo design) with 20" winter tyres... and haven't noticed some difference at all... or, almost any significant.
I guess, thanks to air-suspension, right?

Last edited:

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The air suspension is brilliant, and the car rides well either way, but I do feel that the 21" are a bit harsher. Not enough to disqualify or even be an issue, but enough to notice IMHO.

The car is already a bit short on that front, and there's a non-trivial difference between 20" and 21".
And at least in my experience, range differences for different wheel sizes in the real world can be worse than on the spec sheet.
I agree, range is short, and the 21" wheels do affect the range in a negative way.

John

f10tt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan, 2022 Cayenne, 2021 Bronco
Country flag
21" Mission E on mine with air. Ride is so much better than our MYP with 21s.

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
I chose 21" Cross Turismo wheels because they were the only ones I really liked the styling of! I found 20" ones in Porsche techquipment winter wheel selection for Taycan I quite like but they aren't standard options on standard tyres for CT but just ordered them for winter anyway.
The ride is important to me but on 20" was so good on my test drive I decided the ½" less sidewall wasn't too big a risk since I like the 21" CT wheels so much...
OTOH range isn't an important parameter for me.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Hi guys,

I asked in some previous topic regarding wheels but didn't get any answer. I've just put a deposit on my CT4S and still have some time to change specs.
I'm planning to use my Taycan as a daily and was wondering about ride quality difference between 20" and 21" wheels. I didn't have chance to test drive two sets of wheels. I only drove 21" and they felt a little harsh but it was acceptable for me, Taycan has a really good suspension.

Are 20" much softer experience or it's barley noticeable?
For now 21" have one upside for me and it's the look but there are a few downsides like lower range, higher price point and probably a little worse ride quality. Can anyone share their experience with different wheel sizes.

sry for my english it's not my main language ;)
Don't sweat it - air suspension is your friend. Kerbing may be more of a concern with 21" so be wary of that.

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
Thanks for sharing. In my country CT4S comes with air suspension as standard. I love the 21" Cross Turismo Design Design wheels. Maybe a word harsh was not the best choice to discribe my experience with 21". The cars is incredibly comfortable for what it is, and it is a sports cars it feels like it. So it can't ba as comfortable as I don't know... Mercedes S class. It's a different type of car.

But I was just wondering how much comfortable can 20" wheel be on Taycan. Looks like it's not that big of a difference.

If you love the 21" Cross Turismo's I would go with them. The air suspension is going to compensate for any real difference between the 20" and 21".

F16HTON

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 Carrera, Taycan RWD
Country flag
Ride quality is acceptable on 21" wheels (even with summer tires). With the air suspension you can switch the ride on the fly too, which even makes the ride more comfortable when necessary.

With my Taycan, the only real issue I noticed was upon delivery, there were some buzzing/rattles in the driver and passenger B pillar that made the ride less than comfortable as there was an audiological stimulus with each bump in the road. A simple service appointment (x2) eliminated this stimulus and it has not come back since.

IMO it is better to address these things earlier than later if needed. I also have a CETE lowing module installed and I find the ride is fully acceptable with up to 15mm of extra lowering over the low setting (sedan, not CT), anything more than that (16mm or greater) the ride is too harsh for my liking.

I have not tried 16mm or greater with my stock 20" wheels/tires, so maybe that would be different, but I doubt it.

Pete C

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Taycan is all about the looks! I have 20” for winter and 21” for summer. 21” for winter is a no go. The rubber turns to cement…In the summer you cannot feel the difference. Focus on the tire quality and not the rim size. The air suspension will take care of the difference.

riburn3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, Model 3 SR+
Country flag

You sum up my experience. I too went with the 20" wheels for range/price/aesthetic reasons, but still found the ride quality of the 21" wheels to be fine. It definitely is a little harsher on rougher roads but still overall a very smooth ride.
Sponsored