daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I've never had EVSlow fail me. However, they have all been 50kW stations which require stops over an hour long which is not feasible practical/efficient
TIFIFY :p
Sponsored

kmcdonal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan 350Z, Subaru WRX
Country flag
It all comes down to the use case I suppose. I need about an extra 5-10% of charge to get to a ski resort that I like to go to. There is an EVGO at the grocery store on the way. I plug in, get my groceries, and I add about 20-25% charge by the time I come out of the grocery store.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
50 kW is better than 9.6 kW or worse 208V/30 amp-6 kW at a slow public L2 charger (I'm looking at you ChargePoint) - but I was commenting that building out 50 kW charger locations in 2022 and beyond would be a bit infuriating and not forward thinking…

around me EVGo (EVSlow - I love it - thanks @DerekS) is mostly/entirely? 50 kW less than desirable units - so I was hoping they would do better than their existing examples…and it appears for this initiative we can look forward to 2000+ better than 50 kW units - I'm excited.

but I agree - given a choice of slow AC charging (19.2 kW maximum rate, 6.0 kW common public rate) 50 kW is a dream…but not ideal.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I use them when I'm out/about as a better than nothing sort of thing - but don't really 'charge' there - only use them if I'm going to be near one for some other reason - there are some at valley fair mall in san jose, and various targets - when wife and I are at the mall or target - no reason to to plug in - but yeah they are mostly pointless.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
some hotels have these also - and it works for overnight charging while you're stuck at hotel anyways.

Bill33525

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘24 Q8 ETron 55 SUV, '22 Taycan RWD
Country flag
Several times a year we visit Rehoboth De where there are no working DCFC. Forced to drive to a mall w/L2 chargers and Uber back to the house.
There are two Tesla SuC sites in the area so can’t wait for them to open up to CCS cars.
The whole DelMarVa peninsula is void of hardly any working DCFC, hard to believe.

cometguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera 4 ST E-Hybrid; planned Taycan CT4
Country flag
some hotels have these also - and it works for overnight charging while you're stuck at hotel anyways.
Hotels are among the few places where it really makes some sense, because they're much more affordable for hotels to install. If all hotels would put in L2 chargers for BEVs across the country, it would make a big difference, helping to ease the stress on (congestion at) fast-charging stations. (Other ideal places for L2 charging are work places, of course, or just on the street in urban areas and parking lots for apartment complexes. I'd love to see cities install L2 chargers all along streets with parking meters, where you could pay for charging and parking at the same time.)

RinOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
There are 150/350kw EVGo chargers around Orange County and Los Angeles County that I use pretty regularly and they always work. The higher power units often get very close to max charging speed. There are some in Baker CA I believe on the 15 that I’ve read many good reports about but have never used. I don’t use them that much but when I’m at the high power EVgo or lower power Chargepoint stations there’s ALWAYS A white Rivian. I don’t know if it’s the same one though. I am lucky to live and generally travel with so many reliable sources of charging. I’ve had very good experiences with all of them EA included.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
From the various press releases you can perhaps get a hint at where new hardware (GM-Pilot) will presumably be installed - pretty sure someone here can root out more detailed info - who knows re actual timelines - supposedly to be completed by 2025!:

Current and upcoming specific EvGo sites:
Porsche Taycan 2000 New EVgo Charging Stations Coming to 500 Locations on US Highways (Joint Project by GM & Pilot) Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 4.01.37 PM

GM-Pilot (+EvGO) planned additions - potential for a lot of EA overlap not that that is a bad thing!:
Porsche Taycan 2000 New EVgo Charging Stations Coming to 500 Locations on US Highways (Joint Project by GM & Pilot) Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 4.02.14 PM

EA's charging network from a 2020 article on their site:

Porsche Taycan 2000 New EVgo Charging Stations Coming to 500 Locations on US Highways (Joint Project by GM & Pilot) Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 4.26.11 PM

Current active map as of Aug 2022:

Porsche Taycan 2000 New EVgo Charging Stations Coming to 500 Locations on US Highways (Joint Project by GM & Pilot) Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 4.30.06 PM

Current EA map with "Coming Soon" stations as od Aug 2022:

Porsche Taycan 2000 New EVgo Charging Stations Coming to 500 Locations on US Highways (Joint Project by GM & Pilot) Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 4.32.04 PM

Porsche Taycan 2000 New EVgo Charging Stations Coming to 500 Locations on US Highways (Joint Project by GM & Pilot) Screen Shot 2022-08-27 at 4.32.55 PM

Last edited: