Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
I care, it’s nothing short of outrageous that the Porsche has over 100 fewer miles of range, one one hundredth the number of chargers available, costs twice as much, has an ultra expensive option list that reads like an encyclopedia, (premium motor sound enhancement indeed) ...and yet, the Porsche fans are all over themselves defending the Porsche can do no wrong mantra...”it’s enough range for me” chant, I don’t ever take weekend drives, “it’s enough to enjoy city traffic all day long, Come on, this car is laughable for 200+k. It will be selling for 75k in three years. No thanks, I’m getting my deposit back and looking elsewhere. BMW? Fisker? Tesla would sell a lot of new model S if they just built a first class interior. I’ve got plenty of money and I could buy this car but I’m not a fool, and I hate the feeling of being ripped off

No one cares that the range numbers are over 100 miles worse than a Model S? And that the charging tech is suddenly much less impressive than originally announced? Am I alone in thinking Porsche utterly missed the mark?

Also everyone realizes the Taycan is a big, heavy car with brake-by-wire, right? It will drive like a Panamera, not a 911, and even optimistic early reviews already mention braking issues.
th shortoth
Sponsored

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Range is a huge disappointment....especially considering the exorbitant price. An item can have a high price and still have value. A gt2rs is a monster of a car with a high price, justified. Taycan turbo s is still an ev geared towards daily driving, with disappointing range, but crazy high price! It’s a beautiful car with nice tech...but...!
it’ll keep up with that gt2rs for a nice stretch at a hefty discount in price. And the price is the same as the panamera hybrid turbo s, only this car is basically better in every way. It doesn’t compare value well to Tesla, but then you’d have to drive a Tesla.

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7XPorsche’s, 3XGolf R/ GTI
Country flag
it’ll keep up with that gt2rs for a nice stretch at a hefty discount in price. And the price is the same as the panamera hybrid turbo s, only this car is basically better in every way. It doesn’t compare value well to Tesla, but then you’d have to drive a Tesla.
You’re not wrong! That’s why I’m in a dilemna.....do I compare it to the closest EV competition or to another Porsche? Seems Porsche wants to enter the EV world using their existing vehicles pricepoints/ comparators!

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
You’re not wrong! That’s why I’m in a dilemna.....do I compare it to the closest EV competition or to another Porsche? Seems Porsche wants to enter the EV world using their existing vehicles pricepoints/ comparators!
My wild guess is the 2020 roadster slips to late 2021 (calendar), and costs about 15% more. While being vastly faster with 3x the range. But the interior looks pretty minimalist and if you aren’t happy with Tesla interiors now I wouldn’t expect that to change.

There’s going to be a lot of change in both tech and the industry. Wait and see is perfectly reasonable. Or lease. Or a fun bridge car for a couple years and pick up a lightly used taycan. I expect they’ll depreciate fairly quickly, at least by Porsche standards.

Exciting times.

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7XPorsche’s, 3XGolf R/ GTI
Country flag
My wild guess is the 2020 roadster slips to late 2021 (calendar), and costs about 15% more. While being vastly faster with 3x the range. But the interior looks pretty minimalist and if you aren’t happy with Tesla interiors now I wouldn’t expect that to change.

There’s going to be a lot of change in both tech and the industry. Wait and see is perfectly reasonable. Or lease. Or a fun bridge car for a couple years and pick up a lightly used taycan. I expect they’ll depreciate fairly quickly, at least by Porsche standards.

Exciting times.
450km, $200k, quick depreciation..........is quite disappointing imho!

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
No one cares that the range numbers are over 100 miles worse than a Model S? And that the charging tech is suddenly much less impressive than originally announced? Am I alone in thinking Porsche utterly missed the mark?

Also everyone realizes the Taycan is a big, heavy car with brake-by-wire, right? It will drive like a Panamera, not a 911, and even optimistic early reviews already mention braking issues.
Correct. For all the hype it’s a 5000# car and physics don’t lie. Expect a 200 mi range, less with Porsche driving

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Correct. For all the hype it’s a 5000# car and physics don’t lie. Expect a 200 mi range, less with Porsche driving
Not quite. Porsche did a real world test from Niagara Falls down to NYC in a Taycan. While I'm guessing they probably drove it to somewhat conserve battery, they did 250 miles, and with 39 miles of remaining range, they stopped to charge for the remainder of the trip. The WLTP rating for the car is 279, showing that Porsche was probably conservative with their range estimate.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/201...gara-falls-road-trip-new-york-city-18578.html

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Profess
Not quite. Porsche did a real world test from Niagara Falls down to NYC in a Taycan. While I'm guessing they probably drove it to somewhat conserve battery, they did 250 miles, and with 39 miles of remaining range, they stopped to charge for the remainder of the trip. The WLTP rating for the car is 279, showing that Porsche was probably conservative with their range estimate.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/201...gara-falls-road-trip-new-york-city-18578.html
Professional drivers hyper milling, got 270 miles? That should make you alarmed, not comforted.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
Professional drivers hyper milling, got 270 miles? That should make you alarmed, not comforted.
Hypermiling? I didn't see anything about that. I'm interpreting this as Porsche saying they did about 289 miles (270 plus 39 left) in real world driving conditions. Temperature was probably in the 70s so most likely not having to deal with heater nor heavy AC use.

You seem to think this was some kind of stunt to show how many miles the car is capable of. I think this was an example of what an owner would expect in real-world driving conditions, albeit with close to optimum temperature conditions.

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hypermiling? I didn't see anything about that. I'm interpreting this as Porsche saying they did about 289 miles (270 plus 39 left) in real world driving conditions. Temperature was probably in the 70s so most likely not having to deal with heater nor heavy AC use.

You seem to think this was some kind of stunt to show how many miles the car is capable of. I think this was an example of what an owner would expect in real-world driving conditions, albeit with close to optimum temperature conditions.
I really don’t know, Well see how “real world” it it. My moneys on the under.

KensingtonPark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S; 2023 Audi eTron S Sportbck
Country flag
I think this was an example of what an owner would expect in real-world driving conditions, albeit with close to optimum temperature conditions.
It's a pretty good stunt to demonstrate the possibility of making a long-range drive. As someone who has driven from NYC to Niagara Falls, my only gripe is that they did not do the round trip to average it out. I definitely get better mileage coming back to NYC than I do getting to Niagara Falls. The drive that they took is slightly downhill on balance. There are uphill and downhill grades to be sure, but the final elevations in my experience seem to have a small impact.

Still, an impressive stunt, as I'm not sure I would have guessed they could accomplish what they did even in the favorable direction.

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
Profess

I actually believe its silly to compare to a Model 3, but the best selling EV is the Tesla Model 3 RWD. Its range is 270 miles!

Maybe an electric car is not for you???????

I have owned Porsches since 1989. The last time I drove a Porsche more than 250 miles in one day was 2004, 15 years ago and it was the Cayenne. Come on, 250 miles at 65 miles an hours is 4 hours of driving plus probably and 30 minutes to an hour of breaks. Porsche's generally have a sports car ride where you "feel the road" to put it kindly, so if I go long distance, I want drive a car that has a comfortable ride and few people use their Porsche for long distance driving

. I usually travel abroad, but when I travel within the USA, I also jump in a plane and rent a car. I am just not into boring highway driving. Every Porsche I have owned except for the Cayenne, I have averaged less than 5000 per year.

Last edited:

soly20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
991 TT, Range Rover Sport, BMW 525
Country flag
I don't think it is the right call to buy a sports car/sedan so you can drive it daily and on long distances. Usually if you are spending $150K on a car, it usually is, at least, your second or 3rd car. My 991 Turbo gets no more than 2,000 miles a year. Not because I don't want to drive it more but because I don't have time to drive it. Between commuting to work with a driver in another car and going out with the wife and kids in our SUV and traveling abroad for work and pleasure, I don't get a lot more than a dozen weekends with 991 Turbo, if I am lucky.

Last edited: