2020 Porsche Taycan: Porsche's Thermal Insulated Glass vs. Spectra Photosync IRD - Premier Protective Films

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
A pretty good video on performance of Porsche Thermal Glass vs Tints with Spectra Photosync IRD.
I wish he had a car without thermal glass, but as I have the thermal and noise insulated glass anyway it's quite useful. I am strongly considering tint was primarily for privacy, but now I see other advantages. Note that Premier Protective Films is in Fremont California. I'm getting a quote from them now. ;-)

2020 Porsche Taycan: Porsche's Thermal Insulated Glass vs. Spectra Photosync IRD
Premier Protective Films
Sponsored

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
These results are obvious - putting a heat rejection tint on top of the double pane glass makes it even better.

I have the thermal glass and a 30% tint on my Macan (same glass as the Taycan) and it's fantastic. Highly recommend, especially if you have black leather.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
@jimithing
Hi......is the double-pane glass option part of the thermal & sound upgrade or standard on all Taycans
What glass portions are double-pane?

These results are obvious - putting a heat rejection tint on top of the double pane glass makes it even better.

I have the thermal glass and a 30% tint on my Macan (same glass as the Taycan) and it's fantastic. Highly recommend, especially if you have black leather.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@jimithing
Hi......is the double-pane glass option part of the thermal & sound upgrade or standard on all Taycans
What glass portions are double-pane?
The double pane glass is part of the thermal and sound insulated upgrade option.
I wanted to add that when I called that place in Fremont they said they have done many Taycans and all of them have had the thermal glass option. So dealerships are doing a good job at recommending it, I got it as well.

The only major downside I'm aware of is the fact that they use a metallic coating for the UV that can limit cellular and fast pass and radar detectors. For the later two there is a location near rearview mirror that allows clear transmission.

TheFutre

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s (soon), Tesla Model X (me), Tesla Model 3 (wife)
Country flag
Thanks @ron_b
If I opt for thermal / sound insulated upgrade, do you think all windows including windshield and rear window and side windows would be double pane glass then?

The double pane glass is part of the thermal and sound insulated upgrade option.

OP
OP
ron_b

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Thanks @ron_b
If I opt for thermal / sound insulated upgrade, do you think all windows including windshield and rear window and side windows would be double pane glass then?
I believe it's only the four side windows.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
I believe it's only the four side windows.
It's also the windshield, which can be a pain with toll passes but there's a spot just next to the mirror that's designed to let the signal through.

robdds

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X, Tesla Model S, soon Taycan 4S
Country flag
I am looking to getting this done. Anyone with pics of Photosync 30? TIA

PTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s, RRS SC, S2000, Integra Type-R
Country flag
A pretty good video on performance of Porsche Thermal Glass vs Tints with Spectra Photosync IRD.
I wish he had a car without thermal glass, but as I have the thermal and noise insulated glass anyway it's quite useful. I am strongly considering tint was primarily for privacy, but now I see other advantages. Note that Premier Protective Films is in Fremont California. I'm getting a quote from them now. ;-)

2020 Porsche Taycan: Porsche's Thermal Insulated Glass vs. Spectra Photosync IRD
Premier Protective Films
The Taycan in the video with the mission-e rims & thermal insulated glass is actually my car. :) I do like the quieter ride. I also did get it tinted 55% to just cut down on the sun for passengers.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
The Taycan in the video with the mission-e rims & thermal insulated glass is actually my car. :) I do like the quieter ride. I also did get it tinted 55% to just cut down on the sun for passengers.

Hey - actually yet to watch the vid which I will do but there is an ongoing dicussion as to the safety of adding ceramic or IR reducing film to the Pano roof and potentially to any thermal insulated glass. Argument is that heat absorption into the glass is increased in either location and more thermal stress added to the glass - result of which could conceivably be that the Pano glass might crack under the load!

Did any of you have this discussion or was it referenced in any way with your installer(s) - more importantly are you aware of any Porsche warranty issues in respect adding such films to the Pano roof and/or side windows i.e. unsupported 'modification' under warranty.

I had planned to add all to my build once here later this year but I'm now actively seeking actual data on this vs hearsay. Result could be that I take Thermal/noise insulated glass off my build which I'd prefer not to do!

Thoughts appreciated!

Here are the comments on the other thread:
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/air-conditioning-and-panorama-roof.5883/page-3#post-83846

EDIT - seeing the vid he does not actually state whether or not the film was applied to the Pano glass! Anyone know if that was done? Curiously also no discussion whatsoever if there might be any adverse impact of doing so.
Sponsored

Last edited: