2020 Porsche Taycan spy pics & videos

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
A Sport Turismo will supply plenty of headroom for the ones that value that.
Sponsored

parlinone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo S40
Country flag
Usually, purely electric vehicles are higher than their conventionally powered counterparts because the relatively heavy and large batteries are positioned in the floor of the vehicle while the occupants sit above them, this is why Polestar 2 and Tesla Model 3 look like quasi-MPV's with a vaguely saloon shape. But because of the Taycan's foot garages, it'll be 1.3 something metres tall - it'll be lower to the ground than any four door vehicle.
This is true for the Model 3 but I doubt you gave the Polestar 2 a proper look. It's a regular sedan that has slightly higher ground clearance. Like the Taycan it doesn't have any batteries in the foot well area, this has been stated by Polestar representatives at the car shows. I actually like the proportions a lot but the stylIng is too boxy for my taste. OTOH it's likely the Taycan will be 1st gen Panamera sized, just lower, which is too big for my taste.

Maybe the BEV Macan will be more sleek and offer a coupe version, but between the size and those ugly headlight vents it looks Iike I'll be passing on the Taycan.

Last edited:

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is true for the Model 3 but I doubt you gave the Polestar 2 a proper look. It's a regular sedan that has slightly higher ground clearance. Like the Taycan it doesn't have any batteries in the foot well area, this has been stated by Polestar representatives at the car shows. I actually like the proportions a lot but the stylIng is too boxy for my taste. OTOH it's likely the Taycan will be 1st gen Panamera sized, just lower, which is too big for my taste.

Maybe the BEV Macan will be more sleek and offer a coupe version, but between the size and those ugly headlight vents it looks Iike I'll be passing on the Taycan.
The taycan is in between the 911 and Panamera. Looks like it’ll be a few years before anyone offers a drivers sportscar any smaller than that (well for less than a cool million). I’d love to see a BEV Cayman, but the tech isn’t quite there yet. Soon. I expect an explosion in offerings across the market in 4-5 years.

parlinone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo S40
Country flag
The taycan is in between the 911 and Panamera. Looks like it’ll be a few years before anyone offers a drivers sportscar any smaller than that (well for less than a cool million). I’d love to see a BEV Cayman, but the tech isn’t quite there yet. Soon. I expect an explosion in offerings across the market in 4-5 years.
The original Mission-E was apparently 485cm, the Taycan has an extended back bumper that easily adds 8-10cm, making it close to the E-tron GT (496cm) which is its twin. The First gen Panamera was only 1cm longer at 497cm. It doesnt look it's apparent size though I give you that.

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
Yeah, not much one can do with current battery tech if one wants ~100kWh and keep the center of gravity and polar moment of inertia low.

parlinone

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo S40
Country flag
Yeah, not much one can do with current battery tech if one wants ~100kWh and keep the center of gravity and polar moment of inertia low.
I don't see why you couldn't? The Tesla Roadster was their first product, and the Polestar 2 will also be much more compact (with 78kWh). The Taycan has 80 and 96kWh IIRC so I don't see why a more compact, cheaper offering should have more than that.

Last edited:

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
The original Mission-E was apparently 485cm, the Taycan has an extended back bumper that easily adds 8-10cm, making it close to the E-tron GT (496cm) which is its twin. The First gen Panamera was only 1cm longer at 497cm. It doesnt look it's apparent size though I give you that.
Porsche Taycan 2020 Porsche Taycan spy pics & videos 3E053B78-A814-4243-9E46-B53EFE508EDE

From a Porsche internal conference.

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
I don't see why you couldn't? The Tesla Roadster was their first product, and the Polestar 2 will also be much more compact (with 78kWh). The Taycan has 80 and 96kWh IIRC so I don't see why a more compact, cheaper offering should have more than that.
The Polestar 2 has a ~20% smaller battery and still has a pretty goofy jacked-up sedan look (which they try to hide, unsuccessfully, with the black lower body paint). Just give it a few more years until the battery tech is there.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the 2008 roadster had a 53kW pack, struggled to break 4s 0-60, and cost clear over $100K. It’s not that it can’t be done, but rather no one is building one in the next few years because they can’t hit the Cayman / Boxster weight at their matching price point yet. Even Tesla isn’t building a roadster anymore / yet again. Give it a few years.

MPawelek

Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1919 Ford Model T, 1931 Ford Model A, 1957 Nash Metropolitan, 2017 Mercedes SL, 2018 Ford F250
Country flag
I guess this is the Porsche challenge to Tesla. Next thing you know Tesla will answer the challenge by doing something crazy like shooting a car around the Sun. Nah, it will never happen........ :)

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I guess this is the Porsche challenge to Tesla. Next thing you know Tesla will answer the challenge by doing something crazy like shooting a car around the Sun. Nah, it will never happen........ :)
I wouldn't be surprised if the Tesla Roadster will go into production next year.
That's crazy enough I guess...
Sponsored