Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Although I am skeptical since these result are so far off what would be expected, it was interesting to see the numbers for other cars using that test, using the summer test.
- Model 3, LR, AWD - 560 (518 EPA range) - 8% better
- Kona - 510 (412 EPA range) - 24% better
- e-Niro - 500 (382 EPA range) - 31% better

https://tbtp-ev.github.io/tbtp-results-range.html

But again, this result seems crazy off. Will be interesting to see if the EPA number is dramatically different than the Turbo.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo (sold), Mini Cooper SE, Mercedes Sprinter RV, BMW K1600GT
Country flag
He's doing less than 50 mph (80kph) for most of the test.
Yup. You'll definitely get great range driving that slowly.
(You'd also hold up traffic if the streets weren't empty)
Not exactly real world driving. Well, not MY real world.

Tesla once said that the sweet spot for maximum range in electric cars is between 25 and 30 miles per hour. So if he slowed down, he could have gotten even better range. And taken a nap.

I didn't buy a Taycan to do Hypermiling. That's much better suited to a Kia or a Prius.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot

Tesla once said that the sweet spot for maximum range in electric cars is between 25 and 30 miles per hour. So if he slowed down, he could have gotten even better range. And taken a nap.

I didn't buy a Taycan to do Hypermiling. That's much better suited to a Kia or a Prius.
Agree.
Still, try hypermiling with a Lamborghini or Ferrari...
It only shows you can do 600+ km with a 761hp/1050Nm beast...
It's just thàt flexible.

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Agree.
Still, try hypermiling with a Lamborghini or Ferrari...
It only shows you can do 600+ km with a 761hp/1050Nm beast...
It's just thàt flexible.
Yes, we have a wonderful car. I can use a Faberge Egg to hold up the corner of my couch, but it’s a bit of a waste. :)

My opinion is mine, And others will use their cars for many other purposes. More power to them; It’s a free world.
Peace. Stay healthy.

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag

That will depend on what the flat-plate drag is. Not to be confused with the coefficient of drag which is worthless.

Chuck J

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Yes, we have a wonderful car. I can use a Faberge Egg to hold up the corner of my couch, but it’s a bit of a waste. :)

My opinion is mine, And others will use their cars for many other purposes. More power to them; It’s a free world.
Peace. Stay healthy.
I don't think you got my point but that's ok.
It's about EVs in general, it's not my first EV.
Got your point though.
But don't you worry Lou, we're doing 150+kph here in Europe.
Especially on the Autobahn (Germany).

louv

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That will depend on what the flat-plate drag is. Not to be confused with the coefficient of drag which is worthless.

Chuck J
What will? You quoted my whole post... so now I’m lost on what your comment refers to. (Please talk to me like a 5 year old... who read a coloring book on aerodynamics). :)

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Silver Taycan 4S, 2012 991 911 (sold), 1995 993 (Gave to son) 1965 356 (gave to son)
Country flag
What will? You quoted my whole post... so now I’m lost on what your comment refers to. (Please talk to me like a 5 year old... who read a coloring book on aerodynamics). :)
Your miles / kw hour.

What a great thought, no smelly oil. I just built a beautiful home in NW Arkansas and Had I thought about that, I would have integrated my garage into my living room.

Chuck J

Chuck J

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Easiest to show in this chart for an AH-1G. When you put weapons on it, you increase the drag, lowering the speed you can go until you reach the forque limit where you start bending the teeth. Note the max cruise / min rate of descent. That's where we are talking about. To get the flat plate drag you multiply the COD by the flat plate area which all cars have a defined one. The coefficient is the engineers attempt to look like a lower flat plat front. Note the increased power required after max cruise. That is from flat plate drag and surface friction. Hope I didn't bore you. Every time we went out with a different configuration of weapons we hade to calculate that so that we didn't bend gears in the transmission, shown at the limit line. So there is some speed for the Taycan that is a max cruise and it will vary with weight that you are carrying in it. In the case of a car, you also have tire drag. Now I know you are all asleep! But it's just what I did for a living. :)

Chuck J

Porsche Taycan 2020 Taycan 4S Range Test Results in 381 Miles / 610 Km (Single Charge Non-Stop Driving) flat plate drag1

Reg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
“When you put weapons on it”

Darn. Looks like I missed that in the configuration ;)
Machine gums or oil slick spray?

Interesting though
Sponsored