2020 Taycan 4S Reviews Are Here! (Articles & Videos)

JayGT4

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GT4 / Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Thanks for putting together the running list. I watched some of the videos already last night on youtube and it's clear the 4S is a hit! Sounds like most think it's a much better value than the Turbo since performance is close but the price is much lower.

RE66ELl

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 4s
Country flag
Did anyone else notice on the Carwow video after Matt charged the 4s from 0- 80% it was showing a whopping range of 220KM (approx 138 mls)

What you make of that?

Porsche Taycan 2020 Taycan 4S Reviews Are Here! (Articles & Videos) IMG_8684.PNG

tacyanmo

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT S-Line, Soon Porsche Taycan 4S with Performance Battery Plus
Country flag
@RE66ELl I think that's the calculated range based on doing the donuts consistently which they were doing to drain the battery fast. I'm going to check other reviews to see if they show their range when charging the car after more conservative driving.

Also bare in mind that early in Matt's review when they travelled for more than 20km it drained 6% on conservative driving and the range given there based on more conservative driving was 416km

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7XPorsche’s, 3XGolf R/ GTI
Country flag
220km/0.79= 278.48km maximum range! What’s the outside temperature? What’s the battery temperature? How many cells are “shutdown” due to cold?

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Did anyone else notice on the Carwow video after Matt charged the 4s from 0- 80% it was showing a whopping range of 220KM (approx 138 mls)

What you make of that?

IMG_8684.PNG
Same with my i3: if you take it to the track, on a cold day, it'll have only half the range when you charge it afterwards...
Are you new to electric cars?

RE66ELl

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
992 4s
Country flag
@RE66ELl I think that's the calculated range based on doing the donuts consistently which they were doing to drain the battery fast. I'm going to check other reviews to see if they show their range when charging the car after more conservative driving.

Also bare in mind that early in Matt's review when they travelled for more than 20km it drained 6% on conservative driving and the range given there based on more conservative driving was 416km
That’s more like it 416km

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
That’s more like it 416km
The official EPA mileage range for the Ticon turbo is just released, it’s 201 miles, which means with a little bit of sporty driving realistically you can expect 180 miles of range in good conditions, this might be enough for some of you, but I think it’s terrible. Do you remember Wayback in September how are you felt punched in the gut when you found out that the car was going to cost $200,000? Now with a range of well under 200 miles, this is your next kick in the head. Many of you might not mind being punched in the gut and kicked in the head, there may be one more surprise waiting and maybe that will change your mind when you discover that you’re required to take a forced enema when you try to sell your car three years from now and Discover is only worth 25% of what you paid for it. Congratulations Porsche I’m sure the car drives great and feels like a lot of fun.

tacyanmo

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Yes I’m new to electric, but not to Porsche.
Locked down my spec for a 4s a few weeks back.
Well I'm new to Porsche and EVs and I placed my order last month in the UK for a 4S with the upgraded battery. Genuinely do want to know if the range is good enough in the UK with our lower temperatures. The Autogefuel review said that their range was limited with the temperature outside, the lots of stop/start/accelerations they were doing with the car and they had the heating at full blast (assuming normal A/C and not the Eco A/C) and he wasn't too worried about the range and also mentioned the real world range should be around 75% of the quoted WLTP. I hope Matt from CarWow can do a full review in the UK and measure range there.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
The official EPA mileage range for the Ticon turbo is just released, it’s 201 miles, which means with a little bit of sporty driving realistically you can expect 180 miles of range in good conditions, this might be enough for some of you, but I think it’s terrible. Do you remember Wayback in September how are you felt punched in the gut when you found out that the car was going to cost $200,000? Now with a range of well under 200 miles, this is your next kick in the head. Many of you might not mind being punched in the gut and kicked in the head, there may be one more surprise waiting and maybe that will change your mind when you discover that you’re required to take a forced enema when you try to sell your car three years from now and Discover is only worth 25% of what you paid for it. Congratulations Porsche I’m sure the car drives great and feels like a lot of fun.
First of all, a Porsche is never cheap.
Sorry if you feel betrayed.

Second, range is how you use it.
I don't know where you're coming from but I don't need 300km/day.
I can get 500km out of it, no problem.
On the other hand, on the highway I'll make around 300km I suppose.
So, average is 400km.
I don't know what your standards are but driving a Panamera, has exactly the same range, what are you talking about?
A Tesla can do better but if you take that as a standard, all EVs have bad range.
The range of a Taycan is more than enough for most people, don't be overdramatic about it...

PS At least try to write Taycan properly.

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
First of all, a Porsche is never cheap.
Sorry if you feel betrayed.

Second, range is how you use it.
I don't know where you're coming from but I don't need 300km/day.
I can get 500km out of it, no problem.
On the other hand, on the highway I'll make around 300km I suppose.
So, average is 400km.
I don't know what your standards are but driving a Panamera, has exactly the same range, what are you talking about?
A Tesla can do better but if you take that as a standard, all EVs have bad range.
The range of a Taycan is more than enough for most people, don't be overdramatic about it...

PS At least try to write Taycan properly.
I understand your point of you, and I appreciate your measured and reasonable response, I know I’m being very dramatic, I do feel somewhat betrayed because I think Porsche lied to us and I do feel disappointed and it’s hard for me to square that with the fact that I’m about to write a check for $200,000 I just wanted to feel less like I was being taken advantage of then I currently do. My points of reference for driving may be similar to yours, I have a Panamera Turbo which I am selling to make room for this car, a Bentley Continental GT which I love and others which I won’t bore you with the list of. The 200 miles range in reality will be enough for 90% of my driving but i live in Boulder Colorado mostly surrounded by long empty roads which are incredibly fun to drive but have very little charging infrastructure available. This car illuminates my possibility of traveling occasionally on roads where the next charger is literally 200 miles away, ( if it’s working) it doesn’t matter that it has the same range as the Panamera, I can get fuel for the Panamera anywhere. I guess I just resent being lied to, and you can spin it anyway you like, but we were lied to, both about price and about driving range which were both purposefully exaggerated by Porsche four years building a customer base with pent-up demand, you can’t tell me that if Porsche it advertised 201 miles range and a price of $200,000 for years ago, did they have nearly as many pre-orders. They knew what they were doing and they lied to us and I just don’t like that.

tacyanmo

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is shockingly bad and worries me. I do hope the 4S gets a better EPA range. The higher end Teslas do get more than 300 miles too.

That being said, Porsche have paid for an independent team to https://amcitesting.com/taycan/ and they've given it a real range of 275 miles and as you can see, they do show their methodology and they averaged it over 5 runs. I do have range anxiety a bit as I do do lots of long range driving (I average 12500 miles a year) but I am willing to stick with it whilst the infrastructure grows. For me I am buying the Porsche for the driving experience and build quailty, not the range and I imagine those here buying it are doing the same.

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I understand your point of you, and I appreciate your measured and reasonable response, I know I’m being very dramatic, I do feel somewhat betrayed because I think Porsche lied to us and I do feel disappointed and it’s hard for me to square that with the fact that I’m about to write a check for $200,000 I just wanted to feel less like I was being taken advantage of then I currently do. My points of reference for driving may be similar to yours, I have a Panamera Turbo which I am selling to make room for this car, a Bentley Continental GT which I love and others which I won’t bore you with the list of. The 200 miles range in reality will be enough for 90% of my driving but i live in Boulder Colorado mostly surrounded by long empty roads which are incredibly fun to drive but have very little charging infrastructure available. This car illuminates my possibility of traveling occasionally on roads where the next charger is literally 200 miles away, ( if it’s working) it doesn’t matter that it has the same range as the Panamera, I can get fuel for the Panamera anywhere. I guess I just resent being lied to, and you can spin it anyway you like, but we were lied to, both about price and about driving range which were both purposefully exaggerated by Porsche four years building a customer base with pent-up demand, you can’t tell me that if Porsche it advertised 201 miles range and a price of $200,000 for years ago, did they have nearly as many pre-orders. They knew what they were doing and they lied to us and I just don’t like that.
By the way, sorry about the typos in the occasional incorrect word or spelling, I mostly use dictation and it isn’t perfect, I certainly know how to spell Taycan but I suspect you knew that, and you’re just trying to give me a hard time.

Reactions: Dee

SHN

First Name
Svein Halvard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+, Tesla Model S (for sale)
Country flag
I think you doing the right thing to survey the ability of charging on the routes you think will use. Maybe you will do OK 90% of the times, then you may ask your self if there are other options for the remaining 10%. Could you use a second car for a while to the charging infrastructure becomes sufficient. Are the 10% trips for recreation and you're not in a hurry, then you could make longer breaks and charge from standard sockets. I don't know how it is in US, but I guess you could use sockets at hotels, camping sites, gas stations, dinners etc, if you ask kindly. When I plan trips outside main roads in Norway, where the charging infrastucture is limited, I always look for those kind of sites. I usually call or send them an email in advance to check. I have never been turned down. Electric cars in remote areas are quite exotic for the locals, and the locals seems to be very helpful. I'm sure an electric Porsche will be very exotic.
Sponsored