2020 Taycan 4S Reviews Are Here! (Articles & Videos)

randkin

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
930 TC, 997.2 TTS, Panamera TTS, Cayenne GTS, Ferrari 612 OTO
Country flag
First of all, a Porsche is never cheap.
Sorry if you feel betrayed.

Second, range is how you use it.
I don't know where you're coming from but I don't need 300km/day.
I can get 500km out of it, no problem.
On the other hand, on the highway I'll make around 300km I suppose.
So, average is 400km.
I don't know what your standards are but driving a Panamera, has exactly the same range, what are you talking about?
A Tesla can do better but if you take that as a standard, all EVs have bad range.
The range of a Taycan is more than enough for most people, don't be overdramatic about it...

PS At least try to write Taycan properly.
Dee - I don't know what Panamera you are driving but my 2015 Turbo S gets about 500 miles range on road trips (depending on speed – more if I drive slower) but at 75/80+mph I get that kind of range. So I am afraid i must take a big exception to your comment about range on the Panamera. I drive frequently to the mountains to ski and average 23+ mpg up the mountain and more coming home. It is about a 365 mile door to door for the trip and I always arrive with lots of fuel remaining if I started with a full tank. You need to get your Pano serviced If you are not getting similar range and mileage and range.

I am extremely disappointed in the Taycan Turbo and Turbo S range. The original comments were about 310 miles so discounted those statements I figured 280 miles. Now with the 240 miles and discounting that to 201, I am decidedly unimpressed. I also thought the price would be more competitive with the Tesla but I am not surprised but did expect a fully tricked out Turbo S would be under $200k which I would have ponied up for if the range was as I was led to believe.

Now quite frankly I am re-thinking the who issue of electric cars with all their inconveniences and may stick with ICE cars until there is some kind of battery with much better range. I don’t like cars with limited range and no infrastructure to support more frequent “refueling” stops.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I understand your point of you, and I appreciate your measured and reasonable response, I know I’m being very dramatic, I do feel somewhat betrayed because I think Porsche lied to us and I do feel disappointed and it’s hard for me to square that with the fact that I’m about to write a check for $200,000 I just wanted to feel less like I was being taken advantage of then I currently do. My points of reference for driving may be similar to yours, I have a Panamera Turbo which I am selling to make room for this car, a Bentley Continental GT which I love and others which I won’t bore you with the list of. The 200 miles range in reality will be enough for 90% of my driving but i live in Boulder Colorado mostly surrounded by long empty roads which are incredibly fun to drive but have very little charging infrastructure available. This car illuminates my possibility of traveling occasionally on roads where the next charger is literally 200 miles away, ( if it’s working) it doesn’t matter that it has the same range as the Panamera, I can get fuel for the Panamera anywhere. I guess I just resent being lied to, and you can spin it anyway you like, but we were lied to, both about price and about driving range which were both purposefully exaggerated by Porsche four years building a customer base with pent-up demand, you can’t tell me that if Porsche it advertised 201 miles range and a price of $200,000 for years ago, did they have nearly as many pre-orders. They knew what they were doing and they lied to us and I just don’t like that.
I’m looking at a DD that doesn’t handle like a Camry. Or Model 3. The Smoking Tire review was deeply reassuring. The steering feedback is like a 992 instead of a Tesla. The brakes are a lot better than the Tesla although not perfect. It’s fat, but still takes the corners at ridiculous speeds. All good stuff.

I also recognize this is a 1.0, like buying a model S in 2012. Not only is it not a forever car, it’ll be effectively obsolete in 5 years. Like the model 3 did to the original model S. There’s no reason to buy a model S until next June. The model 3 performance is that good.

I’m not sure why you feel lied to. A lot of people point out that the WPLT -> EPA correlation would put the EPA range around here. I’m disappointed but not betrayed. Range isn’t important to me. If they make a BEV Cayman around 3600-3800# that’s as fast as the best model 3 but feels like a Porsche, I’d buy that with a 100mi range.

that said, $200K is way too much to spend if it doesn’t make you happy. The hybrid turbo Panamera might be a short term alternative if you won’t consider a Tesla Model 3. The 3 motor model S is expected in 6-7 months. It’ll scream with tons of range. I’m skeptical Tesla will make the handling match what I want, but it’ll be an exceptional car for a lot of other people.

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
Dee - I don't know what Panamera you are driving but my 2015 Turbo S gets about 500 miles range on road trips (depending on speed – more if I drive slower) but at 75/80+mph I get that kind of range. So I am afraid i must take a big exception to your comment about range on the Panamera. I drive frequently to the mountains to ski and average 23+ mpg up the mountain and more coming home. It is about a 365 mile door to door for the trip and I always arrive with lots of fuel remaining if I started with a full tank. You need to get your Pano serviced If you are not getting similar range and mileage and range.

I am extremely disappointed in the Taycan Turbo and Turbo S range. The original comments were about 310 miles so discounted those statements I figured 280 miles. Now with the 240 miles and discounting that to 201, I am decidedly unimpressed. I also thought the price would be more competitive with the Tesla but I am not surprised but did expect a fully tricked out Turbo S would be under $200k which I would have ponied up for if the range was as I was led to believe.

Now quite frankly I am re-thinking the who issue of electric cars with all their inconveniences and may stick with ICE cars until there is some kind of battery with much better range. I don’t like cars with limited range and no infrastructure to support more frequent “refueling” stops.
I don't drive a Panamera.
I'm sorry about the misunderstanding but I'm referring to the way of use.
The faster you drive, the more juice it'll consume.
Like Charlie said EPA is very conservative but then again, I don't mind a lesser range as my country has the highest density of chargers in the world, like 50.000 (which I hardly use anyway).
I'm ok with my 3,6kW home charger 99,8% of the time (just to top it off sometimes, the rest I charge at work at 11kW).
Those three days a year I need more range, I'll take something else, for the rest it's just 110% fun at 99,8% of the time.
Do not forget it's a extremely good car.
Those auto journalists are almost unanimous, it's a proper Porsche and it handles like it doesn't weigh over 2000kgs...
Range? ....what about it? It's a sports car, not an endurance car.
For that you'll take a Tesla, for all the other stuff, you'll take the Taycan.
It's just that simple.

Last edited:

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
Absolutely agree...if you want range pop over to a Tesla showroom and buy one! The Taycan is an electric sports car. Would you buy a 911 and worry about mpg compared to say a Mercedes C/E class saloon/sedan?

The only reason why Tesla is being compared to the Taycan is because it was the first mainstream electric car but that’s where the comparison ends.

I went to the UK Launch tonight and will post pics tomorrow. What a great place to be - it’s an amazing bit of kit. Makes the Tesla feel VERY VERY down market!

The rep there told me the 4S should easily see 200 miles when driven normally and if you really drive it hard it should see 180+ ish miles. Works for me but I see the issue for those wanting more miles - nothing to be upset about - Tesla can have your business :)

Taycan4S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ex 964 C4,
Country flag
As a previous Tesla S P85DL owner and now a M3P owner I can verify that even the Tesla range is not top notch, especially during winter. The heating system seems to take a lot of omph out of the battery. If ideal range is 500km/310miles, I think I've never seen more than like 350km/217miles from my M3P. During winter maybe 250km/155miles.

My driving style keeps me at around 20 kWh/100 km (32 kWh/100 miles) during summer and around 24kWh/100 km (38 kWh/100 miles) during winter.

Truth be told, I drive it like a petrol car. Keeping up with traffic and maybe somewhat faster on highways but I never thrash the car around in traffic.

I actually believe the Taycan should be able to match the range of my Tesla M3P due to some clever powersaving (range mode) and bigger battery. And, the charging should be quicker.

One can only hope :)

Last edited:

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Thanks for putting together the running list. I watched some of the videos already last night on youtube and it's clear the 4S is a hit! Sounds like most think it's a much better value than the Turbo since performance is close but the price is much lower.
Yes, particularly interesting is Edmunds, where he and his cameraman at the end said they would prefer a Taycan over a 911. Unfortunately they did not get into details...

I checked the numbers and the Taycan 4s has a bit more power then the MS90D 2015. As we now know, T overstates power, Porsche understates. I think for common use of the Taycan the 4s it has plenty of punch in all situations and what you really expect is superb handling and this should be the same in the lineup.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I understand your point of you, and I appreciate your measured and reasonable response, I know I’m being very dramatic, I do feel somewhat betrayed because I think Porsche lied to us and I do feel disappointed and it’s hard for me to square that with the fact that I’m about to write a check for $200,000 I just wanted to feel less like I was being taken advantage of then I currently do. My points of reference for driving may be similar to yours, I have a Panamera Turbo which I am selling to make room for this car, a Bentley Continental GT which I love and others which I won’t bore you with the list of. The 200 miles range in reality will be enough for 90% of my driving but i live in Boulder Colorado mostly surrounded by long empty roads which are incredibly fun to drive but have very little charging infrastructure available. This car illuminates my possibility of traveling occasionally on roads where the next charger is literally 200 miles away, ( if it’s working) it doesn’t matter that it has the same range as the Panamera, I can get fuel for the Panamera anywhere. I guess I just resent being lied to, and you can spin it anyway you like, but we were lied to, both about price and about driving range which were both purposefully exaggerated by Porsche four years building a customer base with pent-up demand, you can’t tell me that if Porsche it advertised 201 miles range and a price of $200,000 for years ago, did they have nearly as many pre-orders. They knew what they were doing and they lied to us and I just don’t like that.
Wow, you really live in a beautiful special location. If range is of such upmost importance, maybe you should wait a bit until the EV infrastructure is improving? The charging time is pretty good on the Taycan which makes the range not so important if the infrastructure is there to support it. For me, I don't feel kicked or beaten or lied to. I am nothing but excited to finally replace this 90D pile of junk on a big battery ;) with a gorgeous luxury driving machine. I think Porsche had to face reality and purchase what was available on the global battery supply chain. I have read that even VW with a billion checkbook found it nearly impossible to source raw materials for battery manufacturing.

Last edited:

tacyanmo

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi TT S-Line, Soon Porsche Taycan 4S with Performance Battery Plus
Country flag
I have my Taycan on order with my deposit down and it will be "locked" next week and seriously considering cancelling the order. For those interested in the specs, here are mine: http://www.porsche-code.com/PLM1LNB5

I am someone who does regular 250+ miles journey in the UK and the EPA range has caused me serious anxiety. I thought "well, the current rapid charging infrastructure of 50kw is fine and I can do multiple 20 min loo stops to add 60+ miles to my journey" until I researched and found that the infrastructure in the uk is really bad for rapid chargers and Ecotricity is terrible with lots of people finding their chargers not working and only finding 2 charging stations available at stations which can easily have queues for them to be used.

My dream is to have the Porsche Taycan and I definitely will get a version of a Porsche electric car at some point. But now seriously considering to cancel and go for a Tesla instead. My heart says I should stick with the Taycan and battle it out and things will be better. However my head says it's not the right time for it in the UK. If, for instance, the UK had the network you find in Germany or the Netherland, I would not be having this dillema :/

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
I think you will regret it big time. The charging network is expanding at a rapid rate with hundreds of new charging points to appear in 2020. Ionity are currently building 20 more for the UK to be rolled out in 2020. I am sure you will be fine! Tesla - noooooooooooooo lol Better off with a Hybrid IMHO :)

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
@taycanmo. I fully understand your point and Ionity are reviewing their roll out plan in the summer so until then, there are very few charging stations in then UK.

I own and drive a Tesla Model3 and their network of chargers is fantastic. Never had any range anxiety with driving long distances. I am also putting my Taycan order on hold. It may be a fantastic car to drive but if I can not use it for my intended use it is no good.

I am sure Porsche will focus on solving these issues vey soon. The difference in the efficiency of the drive train of Tesla and Taycan, is staggering at the moment.

tacyanmo

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think you will regret it big time. The charging network is expanding at a rapid rate with hundreds of new charging points to appear in 2020. Ionity are currently building 20 more for the UK to be rolled out in 2020. I am sure you will be fine! Tesla - noooooooooooooo lol Better off with a Hybrid IMHO :)
Ionity are only building 6 chargers next year because of the stupid Ecotricity exclusivity deals with the motorway services (non planned for Wales where I live). The plans for 2020 look quite tipid compared to what will happen *by late* 2021 so I know the initial year and a half is going to be stressful. Porsche in the UK have still not committed to what and where are the free charging points and the ultra rapid chargers at the Porsche centers, when I grilled the sales rep, seems to be only available during business hours and not 24 hours so cannot count them as a network either. This is really my dream car and for the next week I need to decide if I want to put up with that knowing it will get better or purchase it further down the line when they improve on it greatly.

TAYC4N

First Name
AM
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS (PTS)
Country flag
There will always be improvements - Tesla has tried many times over the years and have made their car's slightly better than they were at launch but then you'll always be waiting for the next update? It sounds to me the Taycan is not for those who need big miles. For my intended use it is a no brainer but if you need to do more than 200 miles a go then yep I guess time to cancel your orders...

tacyanmo

First Name
Mo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
There will always be improvements - Tesla has tried many times over the years and have made their car's slightly better than they were at launch but then you'll always be waiting for the next update? It sounds to me the Taycan is not for those who need big miles. For my intended use it is a no brainer but if you need to do more than 200 miles a go then yep I guess time to cancel your orders...
If all I did was just driving around the city, I think a car that I can charge overnight that can do all the range I want would be perfect.

I'm not giving up on this yet. I've spoken to my Porsche center and told them my concerns and the routes I make and if they can get more information from Porsche about plans and how the Porsche Charging card will work and the Porsche charging network will look like. Depending on that I will make a decision. I don't want to be negative here and I apologise for that. The average UK journey is 30 miles and I do think that for the odd long drive or two the car is more than good enough for it.

TheSnape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fiesta
Country flag

Amazing car! Though I prefer the Mission E rims to the ones specced on that 4S
Sponsored