caytan

First Name
Zim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 4S
Country flag
Hey guys, I am thinking about picking up one of the remaining 2020 4S models but I am seeing lot of issues with 12V batteries and software in both phone APP and on car that are giving me a pause.

My question really is how many of you guys are driving 2020 without 12V battery problems? Is phone app functional? Can you heat/cool car reliably with it? I like to plug the car in to charge as soon as I park it in garage. Is that procedure same on Taycan?
Sponsored

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I wouldn't buy a Taycan expecting the app to work at all. That way, any functionality would be a pleasant surprise.

If you're not setting charging profiles or using the app, the 12V should be fine.

If you want a car with great app connectivity and super modern, functional software.. it isn't the Taycan.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I have 2020 4S since October and never had 12V battery problems (so far). However, I am not using the Porsche Connect app. I agree with @PanameraFrank that the software integration is clumsy, but the car itself drives like a dream...

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I expected that the app and the tech to be behind the rest of the industry. That was the case with my Macan as well so I already knew what to expect. For the 12v issue I have adjusted how I charge the car, I don't use timers, I unplug after charging, and I don't keep the keys nearby,...

However my biggest problem with the car is all the rattles from various interior trims because that annoys me every time I drive. It is worst than every other German car and Porsche I have ever owned and that is something I was not expecting. There is a thread in this forum about it.

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have a later model 2020 and have had no issues with the 12v battery. Actually no problems at all.

No problems with the phone app but then I am not a big user.

Rgee27

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi R8, Mamba 4 Cross Turismo on order
Country flag
Wow. I wanted to go with a Taycan because I didn't want a crappy Tesla interior....
I expected that the app and the tech to be behind the rest of the industry. That was the case with my Macan as well so I already knew what to expect. For the 12v issue I have adjusted how I charge the car, I don't use timers, I unplug after charging, and I don't keep the keys nearby,...

However my biggest problem with the car is all the rattles from various interior trims because that annoys me every time I drive. It is worst than every other German car and Porsche I have ever owned and that is something I was not expecting. There is a thread in this forum about it.

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Wow. I wanted to go with a Taycan because I didn't want a crappy Tesla interior....
Take the rattles with a grain on salt. The Taycan build quality is exceptional.

Every car being sold today has some cars with rattles, it's a byproduct of the factory process. There are always going to be some percentage that slip through even the best facilities.

You can go to literally any car forum and find pages and pages of build quality complaints.

Rattles/build quality is 100% nothing to be concerned about with the Taycan. Even if you have a rattle, it's something that can be easily corrected under warranty; almost always just loose trim or faulty speakers.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Rattles/build quality is 100% nothing to be concerned about with the Taycan. Even if you have a rattle, it's something that can be easily corrected under warranty; almost always just loose trim or faulty speakers
My dealer confirmed the rattles so they are real. They had the car for 2 days trying to stop them, unsuccessfully so far. They added felt tape and foam but the rattles came back after 1 month. Others had no luck after multiple dealer visits. I investigated the biggest rattle myself and I found it comes from inside the led strip wire harness. There is no way to add felt tape there. Some of these rattles are not due to assembly quality but quality from parts that I guess Porsche buys from 3rd parties.

You can read more
https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/vibration-and-rattle-sounds-from-the-interior.3365/

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/rattle-vibration-from-upper-door.1396/

Last edited:

russw

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Cayman S
Country flag
To state the obvious, the 2020 is the first model year. I got a first model year 2015 Macan and it had issues that took 2 years to sort out and that's an ICE car. Software has never been a strong point for Porsche on top of that. That will have to change for them but it won't happen over night. If you're going to sell in 2-3 years then perhaps it's not a big deal. For me, I hang onto cars for 7+ years to won't be jumping into a VW group EV right away. The 2021 looks like it has addressed some of the problems but we won't know for 6 months how good a job they've done. I bet some significant issues will remain until the 2022 model.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Another common problem for the 2020 model is the OTA module getting self corrupted. That is a known issue that is fixed in 2021

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
@chrisk I know it sucks and I don't doubt your experience, but rattles happen to a percentage of every car. It's not a Taycan problem, it's a car industry wide problem.

You can go on a GT63S, M5, F type, LC500, etc.. forum and find pages about rattles.

It's a risk you take buying any new car. Usually they "settle in" or a good dealership can remedy them. The Taycan is still going to be higher build quality with a lower percentage of "rattles infested cars" than most.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I have the 1st 4S that was delivered for US forum members (delivered April 2020). I have had no issues with the 12V battery. The app is clunky, but I have used it to set timer and general profiles. I plug in the car and have left it plugged in sometimes for 4+ weeks in a row. I don't have any rattles. The only issue I have is the frunk hand waving sensor is temperamental (not a big issue since it was annoying when it would open while handwashing the car). I have done a few long distance trips back and forth between Connecticut and Georgia using the EA chargers and have not been stranded. I drive it like a Porsche and in the warmer weather still get about 270 miles. It is the most fun car that I have owned. I am looking forward to getting another Porsche EV in the next 2 to 3 years.

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
I have the 1st 4S that was delivered for US forum members (delivered April 2020). I have had no issues with the 12V battery. The app is clunky, but I have used it to set timer and general profiles. I plug in the car and have left it plugged in sometimes for 4+ weeks in a row. I don't have any rattles. The only issue I have is the frunk hand waving sensor is temperamental (not a big issue since it was annoying when it would open while handwashing the car). I have done a few long distance trips back and forth between Connecticut and Georgia using the EA chargers and have not been stranded. I drive it like a Porsche and in the warmer weather still get about 270 miles. It is the most fun car that I have owned. I am looking forward to getting another Porsche EV in the next 2 to 3 years.
Well said Bill. You can get so lost in what forums users say about the bad, sometimes we forget all the good.

Last edited:

russw

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Macan S, Cayman S
Country flag
Another common problem for the 2020 model is the OTA module getting self corrupted. That is a known issue that is fixed in 2021
Is anyone tracking all the known issues with the 2020? That would be super useful. I know there was a nice list for my 2015 Macan on MacanForums. When I took delivery I made sure the dealer went though every item.
Sponsored