OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Quick update after driving the Mach-e GT even more.

The GT clearly wins in terms of daily practically and its infotainment technology seems better so far. I saw one bug with the trip computer but the Taycan had more bugs and more serious ones.
There are several small things that make the daily use better. I love that I don't have to deal with Taycan's wonky retractable door handles every day. The phone wireless charger is easily accessible. There is a sunglass holder. You can adjust vents by hand.
The are two small interface negatives for the Ford. I have to press the Start button to start the car and adjusting the fan speed needs two clicks on the screen.

In terms of range and driving comfort the Taycan is the winner. The Taycan could easily get 30-50 more miles of Highway driving than the GT. Moreover the Taycan's air suspension was great while the GT is too firm on little imperfections and too bouncy on bigger ones. The GT suspension feels wrong overall, even if I compare it with a Macan (also with air suspension) I used to have before the Taycan.
Sponsored

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I confirm some of Chrisk's Taycan issues. I waited until late 2020 to order a 2021 trying to avoid "early adopter" problems.

The big message in this thread is that Porsche is not living up to its customers' expectations as to quality. While I have no rattles after nine months of use, I do experience many of the issues experienced by Chrisk including annoyance with the dealer visits for what should be over-the-air updates and numerous issues with the digital technology.

I just had my first reliability issue this morning when the AC stopped working. Took it to the dealer who diagnosed a bad pressure sensor and now have to drive around without AC until the part shows up from Germany, and hopefully fixes that problem.

Lane Keep Assist is simply not reliable in detecting lane markings and when it does work it over reacts. LKA has no idea where the center of the lane is.

Automatic Cruise Control has a problem detecting vehicles stopped in front of me when approaching from a distance. I am forced to brake aggressively to avoid a collision.

Surround View has never worked as shown in Porsche ads and in on-line videos.

Park Assist doesn't seem to work at all.

The iPhone and CarPlay interface is frequently slow to connect, or doesn't connect at all.

Hello Porsche? Are you there?

I think I will stop by my local Ford dealer.
I never had a hardware failure but I experienced a fair number of software bugs. One day it threw 5 different yellow messages and turtle light and it wouldn't move. Lock for 15 mins and restart fixed the issue. That was after AMB5, so the issue with the Computer Engine issue that results in propulsion power loss is not fully resolved. Probably it is another more rare bug but instead of red the warning was yellow..

Porsche Taycan 2020 Taycan 4S vs 2021 Ford Mach-e GT 20211006_103607_compress6

Porsche Taycan 2020 Taycan 4S vs 2021 Ford Mach-e GT 20211006_103611_compress86

Porsche Taycan 2020 Taycan 4S vs 2021 Ford Mach-e GT 20211006_103628_compress0

Porsche Taycan 2020 Taycan 4S vs 2021 Ford Mach-e GT 20211006_103615_compress70

Porsche Taycan 2020 Taycan 4S vs 2021 Ford Mach-e GT 20211006_103647_compress42

Last edited:

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
It is always a concern when one sees lots of complaints but I am hoping my personal preferences may avoid a lot of them when my car arrives.
Most of the disattisfaction is with software gadgetry not working reliably.
My priorities were the ride/handling/quietness compromise. I have specified torque vectoring, rear wheel steer and active ARB but based on my experience generally, and the gadgets I don't use on my current car, I haven't bothered with any of the driver aids like adaptive cruise, innodrive or park assist and for entertainment I mainly still use talk radio or nothing, so I am hoping I will enjoy all the Porsche strengths and not be exposed to its weaknesses...

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
It is always a concern when one sees lots of complaints but I am hoping my personal preferences may avoid a lot of them when my car arrives.
My priorities were the ride/handling/quietness compromise. I have specified torque vectoring, rear wheel steer and active ARB but based on my experience generally, and the gadgets I don't use on my current car, I haven't bothered with any of the driver aids like adaptive cruise, innodrive or park assist and for entertainment I mainly still use talk radio or nothing, so I am hoping I will enjoy all the Porsche strengths and not be exposed to its weaknesses...
That basically only leaves some rattles. If you are just a bit lucky, you will be 110% happy, because "ride/handling/quietness" is amazing!

The bugs in the software are minor, but do leave one with a feeling of sub standard quality, which does not fit to this German brand.

Mostly, when you switch on the car:
  • Random shuffle is lost
  • "Ziel suchen", instead of "search destination", when the navi was on display
  • Unable to permanently switch off collision alerts
  • Second homepage with consumption box, the consumption box is completely empty
Porsche Taycan 2020 Taycan 4S vs 2021 Ford Mach-e GT 1634644889179

It's easy to live with the bugs, but I don't quite understand, why they cannot fix them over 2 years - it's time, Porsche!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Quick update after driving the Mach-e GT even more.

The GT clearly wins in terms of daily practically and its infotainment technology seems better so far. I saw one bug with the trip computer but the Taycan had more bugs and more serious ones.
There are several small things that make the daily use better. I love that I don't have to deal with Taycan's wonky retractable door handles every day. The phone wireless charger is easily accessible. There is a sunglass holder. You can adjust vents by hand.
The are two small interface negatives for the Ford. I have to press the Start button to start the car and adjusting the fan speed needs two clicks on the screen.

In terms of range and driving comfort the Taycan is the winner. The Taycan could easily get 30-50 more miles of Highway driving than the GT. Moreover the Taycan's air suspension was great while the GT is too firm on little imperfections and too bouncy on bigger ones. The GT suspension feels wrong overall, even if I compare it with a Macan (also with air suspension) I used to have before the Taycan.
@chrisk , thanks for the update. Much appreciated. It helps us keeping our horizon wide enough. My wife wants a new car and decided to go electric. She prefers a somewhat smaller but well-built AWD car. Since the Macan EV will only be delivered by 2023, we started looking around for cars that could still be delivered in 2022. The Mach-E, Polestar 2, XC40, I-Pace, Q4 e-tron, i4 M50, Ioniq 5, etc. all fit the bill but it is difficult to choose. Any recommendations from forum members are welcome.

OP
OP
chrisk

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
@chrisk , thanks for the update. Much appreciated. It helps us keeping our horizon wide enough. My wife wants a new car and decided to go electric. She prefers a somewhat smaller but well-built AWD car. Since the Macan EV will only be delivered by 2023, we started looking around for cars that could still be delivered in 2022. The Mach-E, Polestar 2, XC40, I-Pace, Q4 e-tron, i4 M50, Ioniq 5, etc. all fit the bill but it is difficult to choose. Any recommendations from forum members are welcome.
The Mach-e GT with Performance package has the MagnaRide suspension which is very good. If you get a Mach-E consider that one.
I couldn't find one in stock and I did not want to wait 7 months.
I am considering ordering one and trade my current GT when the new one arrives but I might wait to see the new BMW ix and i4 m50 first.

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
I use the software very little…and also have very little issues. ?

https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/help-i-accidentally-liked-the-pcm.5750/

Pprior

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW 428, BMW 328GT, Kumpan electric scooter
Country flag
Thanks for posting this - I thought I was the only one cross shopping a taycan with a ford mach-e :)

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
My notes from an hour with a Mach E GT today.

I personally found the infotainment much worse. Leggy and awkward to use. Hate the climate controls compared to my Taycan. Funny how people have different views. Hated the dash.

I was impressed with the overall interior, the materials and stitching is solid. But then you get to the steering wheel controls and stalks and it might as well be a Camry.

The steering rack is all messed up. Super artificial and blah. The middle setting was fine but the sportiest setting was terrible.

Brake pedal feel is bad, not as "holy crap what did they do??" as the iPace but still pretty bad.

Visibility is okay. Comfort was pretty good same as something like a Rav4. Had some rattles/generic noise.

Disliked the seating position, very generic compact SUV. Seats themselves were fine.

Basically I thought it was a solid EV that's mismarketed as something sporty. It's in the sportier section of normal compact SUVs, but a far cry from any of the serious sport SUVs.

I'd probably recommend people approach it as just an electric small SUV and look at the Premium trim. If you want something sportier/more special I'd probably still roll the dice with an iPace or just wait.
Sponsored