Pozuelo

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo S, 2018 E63S Estate, 2023 A45S
Country flag
They probably won’t extend the warranty, at least that is what they told me. If your phone conks out the day before the warranty expires, do you really think they will give you a new and extend it ? They are only obligated for the original warranty period. Nevertheless, a new battery will be better than an old one which has degradation even without further issues.
Sponsored

RinOC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
They probably won’t extend the warranty, at least that is what they told me. If your phone conks out the day before the warranty expires, do you really think they will give you a new and extend it ? They are only obligated for the original warranty period. Nevertheless, a new battery will be better than an old one which has degradation even without further issues.
Yeah that’s what I thought. I removed that though as I noticed earlier in this thread someone who had a battery replaced said specifically they did restart the warranty click on the battery. IDK.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Hi all, it is with great disappointment I have to create this post.
My hope with this post is to raise some awareness, get some feedback and hopefully capture Porsche's attention also to help me escalate.

I purchased a brand new fully loaded 2020 Taycan Turbo S, last December 2020. 2 weeks ago as I was leaving the office, the car did not start with the attached (picture) fault error. I left the car overnight at my office and the next day i came back and it started again. I took it to the dealer and upon arrival to the dealer after turning it off, it died and would not start blocking the dealer's service driveway (photo).

The dealer could not resolve the issue and escalated to the Porsche engineers at a more corporate level i guess? they discovered that one of the cells in the battery was faulting rendering the car useless. It took almost 2 weeks for Porsche "corporate" to figure out the battery was essentially gone!

I need an entirely new battery and am being told it may take another month at least on top of the 2 weeks it is already sitting in the shop.

I am so disheartened by this experience, my first porsche ever and what an amazing porsche it was!! I recognise that it is first generation so first generation issues happen but does having the entire propulsion system go out count as first generation issues or is there a bigger Quality Assurance issue here?

I have escalated to porsche customer support who have offered to consider a repurchase of the vehicle . Customer support escalated to Porsche North American Regional division who want 3 weeks to research the repair history, talk to the dealer and create a disposition.

I hope they are not going to determine repurchase based on ......."well, this is one the first time it has completely failed so maybe wait one or two more times for it to completely fail then we will repurchase it??"

The car is leased (thankfully) so I feel like they will still demand the lease payment for a car that is DEAD for all intensive purposes.

open to any of your thoughts and thank you for taking the time to read this thread.

Screenshot_20211021-110810_Google.jpg

20211021_112406.jpg

No Doubt this suck and it’s a pain to lose access to the vehicle - but batteries are modular by design and getting a new/refurbished battery with a new warranty after 1 year of usage on your old battery would be unconcerning to me - in fact I believe it’s not that bad - batteries go bad, this is what warranties are for, and this is no different that any other component failing and being replaced with a new/rebuilt/refurbished component under warranty -there is no reason to believe the new battery won’t be excellent, and the replacement is straight forward once you have the part.

sympathies for dealing with this, but honestly the car will be fine and you’ll have a new fresh battery once it’s over.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
I read this article the other day where Porsche were bragging that the way they built the battery allows failed modules to be replaced fairly easily rather than needing an entire new battery: https://apple.news/A6cx3aG3IQT2-VfPLK44mjw
I’ll humbly suggest this is more a Porsche corp. level service benefit than at the dealer service level - I fully expect “bad” batteries sent back to porsche will be disassembled and the offending cells rehabilitated or replaced - but I sincerely doubt this would be done by local dealer service technicians - but fully expect Porsche to do this as they begin to received bad batteries and then refurbish them as future replacement items/parts for the fleet…

as we get Taycan’s out of warranty and _IF_ people decide to fix/replace bad batteries after the 8 year/100,000 mile warranty we might see some module/cell level repairs make their way into the consumer service level - but we’ll have to see how that plays out.

Capt Mike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan4S. 2017 Macan S
Country flag
Hi all, it is with great disappointment I have to create this post.
My hope with this post is to raise some awareness, get some feedback and hopefully capture Porsche's attention also to help me escalate.

I purchased a brand new fully loaded 2020 Taycan Turbo S, last December 2020. 2 weeks ago as I was leaving the office, the car did not start with the attached (picture) fault error. I left the car overnight at my office and the next day i came back and it started again. I took it to the dealer and upon arrival to the dealer after turning it off, it died and would not start blocking the dealer's service driveway (photo).

The dealer could not resolve the issue and escalated to the Porsche engineers at a more corporate level i guess? they discovered that one of the cells in the battery was faulting rendering the car useless. It took almost 2 weeks for Porsche "corporate" to figure out the battery was essentially gone!

I need an entirely new battery and am being told it may take another month at least on top of the 2 weeks it is already sitting in the shop.

I am so disheartened by this experience, my first porsche ever and what an amazing porsche it was!! I recognise that it is first generation so first generation issues happen but does having the entire propulsion system go out count as first generation issues or is there a bigger Quality Assurance issue here?

I have escalated to porsche customer support who have offered to consider a repurchase of the vehicle . Customer support escalated to Porsche North American Regional division who want 3 weeks to research the repair history, talk to the dealer and create a disposition.

I hope they are not going to determine repurchase based on ......."well, this is one the first time it has completely failed so maybe wait one or two more times for it to completely fail then we will repurchase it??"

The car is leased (thankfully) so I feel like they will still demand the lease payment for a car that is DEAD for all intensive purposes.

open to any of your thoughts and thank you for taking the time to read this thread.

Screenshot_20211021-110810_Google.jpg

20211021_112406.jpg
Lousy problem. Now that Porsche and Audi are making twins, you'd think that they would have these problem resolved. Especially when Tesla is, for now, eating up the competition and coming up with faster and more advanced designs. As I understand it, replacing the large batter sled is fairly easy, so it may be a problem of the supply lines being so maxed out.

2Goldens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Volcano Grey
Country flag
We replaced a battery in a Taycan in 2 weeks. 2 weeks from when the car arrived, and when it left. The job itself was done in 1 day. Waited about a week and a half to get the battery from Atlanta to Los Angeles. If you opt to have the battery replaced and keep it, it will essentially be a new car with a new 8 year warranty. I wouldn't mind that if it were me. But like someone else mentioned, I would get Porsche to pay your 1 or 2 month lease payments. Or for however long it's down for.

20210826_130832.jpg

20210825_121845.jpg
Climax_82, I'm curious about your experience.

I took delivery of a 2020 4s in August 2020. Five weeks ago, I experienced the dreaded "Electrical System Fault," and had car hoisted onto a tow truck the next day and taken to the dealership. First diagnosis was defective 12v battery. Dealership, as a "goodwill gesture"!!, offered to pay 75% of $600. I declined, pointing to the warranty. Dealer said Porsche was saying that the car needed to be driven 15 miles a day, and I was driving only 12 miles a day [6.600 miles in 18 months](this is actually in the boilerplate of the warranty, but nowhere to be found in the owner's manual). I pushed back, and Porsche agreed to cover the 12v battery 100%.

But, that didn't resolve the issue. I was then told that modules in the battery pack failed, and they need to replace the entire battery pack. That didn't seem to be much of an issue until I was informed that there wasn't a battery pack in the US, Porsche would need to ship it from Stuttgart ("ship" as on a boat, not on a plane), and it would be 9 weeks until the dealer had the replacement battery pack. Porsche has put out a lot of PR about replacing the modules in the battery pack to facilitate repair and increase sustainability, but when quizzed about this, response was they couldn't assure that the battery pack would operate properly if only the defective modules were replaced. I quizzed the service manager as to whether they had proper level of trained mechanics and specialized hoist for this job, and was assured that they did. I've been told that Porsche will cover 100% of the cost of the battery pack. Have considered the lemon law, but being an attorney, I'm not sure that's going to help get me rolling quickly.

I'm in the process of trying to identify an executive in Atlanta and follow the advice in this thread of interfacing there; does anyone know a source for identifying executives at PCNA? The service manager has discretely mentioned compensation for the loss of service (will be +/-15 weeks based on late April completion), but right now, I'm more focused on getting a replacement battery pack sooner than 9 weeks.

Thoughts?

Climax_F82

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
22 Taycan
Country flag

I took delivery of a 2020 4s in August 2020. Five weeks ago, I experienced the dreaded "Electrical System Fault," and had car hoisted onto a tow truck the next day and taken to the dealership. First diagnosis was defective 12v battery. Dealership, as a "goodwill gesture"!!, offered to pay 75% of $600. I declined, pointing to the warranty. Dealer said Porsche was saying that the car needed to be driven 15 miles a day, and I was driving only 12 miles a day [6.600 miles in 18 months](this is actually in the boilerplate of the warranty, but nowhere to be found in the owner's manual). I pushed back, and Porsche agreed to cover the 12v battery 100%.

But, that didn't resolve the issue. I was then told that modules in the battery pack failed, and they need to replace the entire battery pack. That didn't seem to be much of an issue until I was informed that there wasn't a battery pack in the US, Porsche would need to ship it from Stuttgart ("ship" as on a boat, not on a plane), and it would be 9 weeks until the dealer had the replacement battery pack. Porsche has put out a lot of PR about replacing the modules in the battery pack to facilitate repair and increase sustainability, but when quizzed about this, response was they couldn't assure that the battery pack would operate properly if only the defective modules were replaced. I quizzed the service manager as to whether they had proper level of trained mechanics and specialized hoist for this job, and was assured that they did. I've been told that Porsche will cover 100% of the cost of the battery pack. Have considered the lemon law, but being an attorney, I'm not sure that's going to help get me rolling quickly.

I'm in the process of trying to identify an executive in Atlanta and follow the advice in this thread of interfacing there; does anyone know a source for identifying executives at PCNA? The service manager has discretely mentioned compensation for the loss of service (will be +/-15 weeks based on late April completion), but right now, I'm more focused on getting a replacement battery pack sooner than 9 weeks.

Thoughts?
That's a lot to go on. I'm a parts manager at a dealership, and I knew what kind of problems we are seeing with some Taycans. But I still love the car enough to lease it. I'm just on my 4th week of ownership and have not had 1 problem, besides the interior alarm going off.

First, what is your VIN? i can check to see if a battery is available in the US. I too questioned, why we could not just replace individual battery cells/modules instead of replacing the whole battery. I haven't gotten an actual answer, but as I understand, it is easier to just replace the full high voltage battery. If it happened to me, I actually would prefer to get the full battery replaced anyway, and not just a few modules.

We've only done 3 so far in the 2 years since we have opened, with potentially a 3rd on the way. A taycan that was taking delivery of his at the same time I did, is already back in the shop for battery related issues. Our gold level techs are actually really good with the Taycans. They are consistently sent out for a week at a time for training. A full battery replacement merely takes 3-5 hours to complete.

Porsche will definitely try and make this right. Whether that be through compensation or something else. Hope this helps.

IcanTaycan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi Q5, BMW 328xi
Country flag

Thoughts?
Wait the warranty requires you to drive 15 miles a day for warranty to hold?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag

Thoughts?
Has Porsche tried to make up for this in any way, perhaps providing an equivalent loaner car for the 9 weeks until the replacement arrives?

2Goldens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's a lot to go on. I'm a parts manager at a dealership, and I knew what kind of problems we are seeing with some Taycans. But I still love the car enough to lease it. I'm just on my 4th week of ownership and have not had 1 problem, besides the interior alarm going off.

First, what is your VIN? i can check to see if a battery is available in the US. I too questioned, why we could not just replace individual battery cells/modules instead of replacing the whole battery. I haven't gotten an actual answer, but as I understand, it is easier to just replace the full high voltage battery. If it happened to me, I actually would prefer to get the full battery replaced anyway, and not just a few modules.

We've only done 3 so far in the 2 years since we have opened, with potentially a 3rd on the way. A taycan that was taking delivery of his at the same time I did, is already back in the shop for battery related issues. Our gold level techs are actually really good with the Taycans. They are consistently sent out for a week at a time for training. A full battery replacement merely takes 3-5 hours to complete.

Porsche will definitely try and make this right. Whether that be through compensation or something else. Hope this helps.
Thank you for your helpful response. VIN is WP0AB2Y17LSA51756.
Dealer has taken care of me short term with a lime green Macan loaner; my neighbors esily spot my comings and goings, and I need to avoid any mischief!!

2Goldens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Wait the warranty requires you to drive 15 miles a day for warranty to hold?
Page 6, right hand column, of warranty:

Your Responsibility for Normal Vehicle Use
Your Owner’s Manual (which includes specific recommendations against using your car in certain ways) was written with the assumption that you will use your car only in ways for which it was designed:

• To be driven on reasonable road surfaces within legal speed limits. Porsche Guidelines specify reasonable mileage to be at least 15 miles / 24 kilometers per day or 6000 miles / 9600 kilometers per rolling 12 months.

The text is odd; the Owner's Manual was written on an assumption that Taycan will be driven 6,000 miles rolling 12-months. Doesn't say have to drive average of 15 miles a day; I understand Porsche will be covering my battery pack. But, if an owner parks a Taycan in his or her garage and doesn't drive it, could be trouble if the battery pack fails.

See https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/warranty/, click 2020 Taycan warranty; can click 2021 Taycan warranty and see the identical provision.

Climax_F82

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
22 Taycan
Country flag

Your Owner’s Manual (which includes specific recommendations against using your car in certain ways) was written with the assumption that you will use your car only in ways for which it was designed:

• To be driven on reasonable road surfaces within legal speed limits. Porsche Guidelines specify reasonable mileage to be at least 15 miles / 24 kilometers per day or 6000 miles / 9600 kilometers per rolling 12 months.

The text is odd; the Owner's Manual was written on an assumption that Taycan will be driven 6,000 miles rolling 12-months. Doesn't say have to drive average of 15 miles a day; I understand Porsche will be covering my battery pack. But, if an owner parks a Taycan in his or her garage and doesn't drive it, could be trouble if the battery pack fails.

See https://www.porsche.com/usa/accessoriesandservices/porscheservice/vehicleinformation/warranty/, click 2020 Taycan warranty; can click 2021 Taycan warranty and see the identical provision.
Wow. I work at a dealership and didn’t know about this lol. My commute is 14.2 miles Monday to Friday ..

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

This is very poorly written.
9600km/365 days = 26.3km/day​
not 24km per day. This is not a rounding error either:
24 km/day * 356 days = 8760km​
so no, they didn't just round up or down (you might be able to make that argument if they said 8800km or even 9000km, but 8760 does not round to 9600 by any rules I know). There is also an "or" between daily and annual minimums, meaning legally I could keep the car in the garage for first 51 weeks of the year, then do a 9600km trip during the remainder of the year and be well within the required conditions as worded. This means if the car dies at the end of week 50, I can claim that Porsche kept me from my 9600km trip, therefore they caused the missing of the warranty qualification, hence I should not be held responsible for not driving 9600km by the end of the year.

Perhaps something got lost in translation? Any native German speakers see anything like this in the original German warranty qualifications?

I suspect this is just a very poorly written text never intended to deny anyone warranty coverage because they didn't drive an average 9600km per year. While I am not a lawyer, I am an engineer. I read and write technical specifications all the time, including safety standards (mind-numbing) and some legal liability stuff (almost as mind-numbing, but at least I am only advising attorneys on those from a technical perspective). I somehow don't see Porsche prevailing if they took this to court. Parking your Porsche in extreme temperatures for a year starting at 0% SOC and while unplugged and battery dying - maybe there they could defend refusing warranty, but people who take care of their cars, keep the SoC above 0%, but drive less than 6000miles per year or 9600km, I seriously doubt they would prevail (or even try). I've seen Porsche selling used Taycans with much less than 6000m per year (just saw one, just over a year old with under 1500miles on th odometer), and Porsche claims they are still under the remainder of the warranty.

I think the dealer trying to use this as an excuse to refuse warranty coverage was just plain sleazy and lazy - a stereotypical car dealership. I might consider servicing my car elsewhere.

2Goldens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
This is very poorly written.
9600km/365 days = 26.3km/day​
not 24km per day. This is not a rounding error either:
24 km/day * 356 days = 8760km​
so no, they didn't just round up or down (you might be able to make that argument if they said 8800km or even 9000km, but 8760 does not round to 9600 by any rules I know). There is also an "or" between daily and annual minimums, meaning legally I could keep the car in the garage for first 51 weeks of the year, then do a 9600km trip during the remainder of the year and be well within the required conditions as worded. This means if the car dies at the end of week 50, I can claim that Porsche kept me from my 9600km trip, therefore they caused the missing of the warranty qualification, hence I should not be held responsible for not driving 9600km by the end of the year.

Perhaps something got lost in translation? Any native German speakers see anything like this in the original German warranty qualifications?

I suspect this is just a very poorly written text never intended to deny anyone warranty coverage because they didn't drive an average 9600km per year. While I am not a lawyer, I am an engineer. I read and write technical specifications all the time, including safety standards (mind-numbing) and some legal liability stuff (almost as mind-numbing, but at least I am only advising attorneys on those from a technical perspective). I somehow don't see Porsche prevailing if they took this to court. Parking your Porsche in extreme temperatures for a year starting at 0% SOC and while unplugged and battery dying - maybe there they could defend refusing warranty, but people who take care of their cars, keep the SoC above 0%, but drive less than 6000miles per year or 9600km, I seriously doubt they would prevail (or even try). I've seen Porsche selling used Taycans with much less than 6000m per year (just saw one, just over a year old with under 1500miles on th odometer), and Porsche claims they are still under the remainder of the warranty.

I think the dealer trying to use this as an excuse to refuse warranty coverage was just plain sleazy and lazy - a stereotypical car dealership. I might consider servicing my car elsewhere.
To be clear, dealer, after back and forth with Porsche, obtained 100% coverage of cost of replacing the battery pack. Dealer disagreed with Porsche on its position on 15 miles/day and successfully advocated on my behalf for full coverage. So, dealer performed. Now, just need to get replacement battery pack shipped!

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To be clear, dealer, after back and forth with Porsche, obtained 100% coverage of cost of replacing the battery pack. Dealer disagreed with Porsche on its position on 15 miles/day and successfully advocated on my behalf for full coverage. So, dealer performed. Now, just need to get replacement battery pack shipped!
Wow, so it's Porsche corporate that tried to use this excuse to not warranty the battery? Did you get their response in writing by any chance?
Sponsored

Last edited: