daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Oct. 13th @ Laguna Seca w/HOD - summer tires - 2020 Taycan Turbo - should be a good time!

90 db sound limit day - I hope I can make sound :CWL:
Sponsored

grahamsimmonds

First Name
Graham
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
I did a track day at Silverstone Grand Prix circuit yesterday in my Taycan Turbo S. I'm inexperienced so I had a Porsche Experience instructor with me all day. After some preparation on the Porsche handling tracks and some intense training on the kick plate skid pan, we transferred to the GP circuit. You basically do half of the circuit but it includes the start/finish and Hangar lane straights. The stats from the day are interesting and are lot more to do with my steep learning curve than the capabilities of the car. By the end, I reached a top speed of 144 mph on the Hangar straight. The car used between 40 - 50% on a 20 minute session and I used about 2mm on the fronts and about 1mm on the backs (P Zeros). On my third session, the battery temp hit a max of 52 deg C so I never hit the power wall. What is interesting is that it dropped to 32 deg C whilst I was charging (ambient temp around 20 deg C). This is because the cooling fans are running at their max when on a 200 kW charge (350 kW Porsche chargers at the Porsche Experience Centre). The PCCC brakes were rock solid throughout.

On a personal level, I was happy with a 20 minute session. It is difficult to concentrate for longer and I needed to recharge as well! The Taycan Turbo S is a stunning car to drive. It says something when you can do a track day, have a rest, and drive home in the same car that behaves as if nothing happened. I feel priviledged.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
The Taycan Turbo S is a stunning car to drive. It says something when you can do a track day, have a rest, and drive home in the same car that behaves as if nothing happened. I feel privileged.
And this right there sums up why I love this car.

pnw-ev-nerd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
It says something when you can do a track day, have a rest, and drive home in the same car that behaves as if nothing happened. I feel priviledged.
I feel the same way about my Cayman, and I'm glad to hear a similar sentiment about the Taycan! Hopefully, just a few months more until mine is delivered..

bsclywilly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4
Country flag
If anyone’s interested in joining, I’ll be out at Laguna Seca with the 4 Cross Turismo on May 25 with HOD. Should be interesting with the “base” Taycan.

@daveo4EV did you end up making it out again last year with summer tires? How was that experience compared to the first one?

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I did make it out again on summer tires, but data systems failed me - I have no lap times to compare - and again given high consumption, battery overheating, and lack of effective fast charging it's just too much work as compared to my GT3 to do a track day.

the car is fine while it's "on power" and super fun for 5,100 lbs sedan - it's super quick and I had some GT3 guys come up after session and comment "how hard I was to keep up with" - but honestly between worrying about battery overheating or consumption it's just not a "fun" car to track knowing it's limitations.

Edward

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Tracking an EV makes me have even more respect for the engineering of Formula E. And the Taycan Turbo S as the Formula E safety car -- I don't hear any FE drivers complaining about how slow the Taycan is around a track! :giggle:

Many of our EV track day problems would go away if a 350 kW fast DC charger could be installed at the track. The closest DC charger to COTA (Austin, Texas) was recently upgraded from 50 kW to 125 kW, and that made a difference in how much I enjoyed my day.

25 minute lapping sessions are hard. I felt I was right at the edge of my battery's endurance / thermals with 20 minute sessions. And as frustrating as "trains" are in some run groups / sessions, they were actually a benefit for the Taycan. It's easy to catch up and get point-by passes with all the torque, and the trains through non-passing zones help the battery cool down just a bit.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm less impressed by formula one due to an "insight" provide to me by a co-worker/friend/battery-engineer
you can do anything you want with a LiON battery _IF_ you don't care about how long it lasts
the "thermal" constraints we live with in a production consumer vehicle are result of scientific modeling designed to achieve a documented battery longevity (8 years, 100,000 miles) to meet the warrant claims and goals…

formula-e runs the batteries longer and harder but none of them offer an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty…cause they dont' care how long they last outside of a race or season…

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I'm less impressed by formula one due to an "insight" provide to me by a co-worker/friend/battery-engineer

the "thermal" constraints we live with in a production consumer vehicle are result of scientific modeling designed to achieve a documented battery longevity (8 years, 100,000 miles) to meet the warrant claims and goals…

formula-e runs the batteries longer and harder but none of them offer an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty…cause they dont' care how long they last outside of a race or season…
translation - there is no actual physical limit imposed by LiON chemistry physics electrical capacity - it's porsche's software imposing a policy on the battery's usage to achieve a warranty goal that is the limit - the Taycan's battery could run hotter and longer (until it ran out of power) and it could have maximum performance until the battery shuts down due to lack of power - but in doing so it would compromise the LiON cell chemistry with a known outcome of reducing the battery's overall charge count/capacity…so Porsche software imposes a limit to keep the battery "inline" and not force them to replace it under warranty…
Sponsored