daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
that picture was from when I was at the fast charger in Seaside, I'd turned it on for the trip the charger..

regen was not on while I was on track.
Sponsored

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
The Taycan always does regen when braking, I see no way to disable that. Adding such an option for Sport mode may help with battery temp at cost of additional brake ware and power usage. But maybe worth it for some folks.
Great story @daveo4EV

Deleted member 1697

The G meter, max G and sport chrono can almost be a tad distracting on the track. It's just too tempting to look down and see if you set a new max G after killing that last turn, or if you are focused on hitting the right steering wheel button for lap timer but should be worried about your line or braking.
don't look stay turned don't look stay oops

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@2big2fioul - post #34 this thread - cool down laps were mostly ineffective at restoring full power.

my opinion and experience indicates you need at least 30 minutes "idle" time once the battery is at this temperature for there to be any meaning full hot laps again. Laguna is a hard track with a lot of full power uphill segments - the Taycan may fare better at tracks with less elevation changes - but the simple fact of the matter is there is still a power throttling limit and battery thermals are still a limiting factor for some full pace lapping…different tracks and different daily weather may extend or diminish this limit - but there is a limit and I hit it in less than 20 minutes.

• went out for 4th HOD session - C group - 2:05 PM - forgot to note battery temp - this was my 3rd session of the day - I had to skip HOD session #3 while fast charging
  • completed at least 3 or 4 hot laps - encounter power throttling
  • I completed 2 full cool down laps on track - 1/3rd pace attempting to "'cool" the battery
  • it mostly worked - at completion of 2nd cool down lap - upon exiting turn 11 I nailed it for one final hot lap
  • car responded well and I had full power again but I was again throttled by exit of turn 6 - so I could not complete a full hot lap after two cool down laps
  • temps at track were mild, afternoon temps were 60F or less
  • given lack of full power I aborted the 3rd session for the day at 34% battery and 132F battery temp and brought the vehicle in.

Last edited:

Deleted member 1697

Thanks @daveo4EV !

It is really hard when these tracks don't have superchargers and I guess the question is if/when there will be enough interest in tracking EVs to make that jump. Until the battery tech is more usable for tracks, I doubt even the popular tracks will feel like it's a worthy investment.
some days there will be ... we hope ... but if there is only one it sucks. we will need several superchargers ... then you will need a power plant ... it could be possible to get a solar power plant at Seca ?

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
@Neptune the vehicle was in Sports Plus mode for all 3 sessions - I did not turn regen ”off” but I also did not turn it “on”

where is the setting to disable regen?
On the steering wheel.

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
ahhh - yes that does _NOT_ disable regen under braking - it just modifies regen with regards to what happens when you lift all the accelerator.

to my knowledge there is _NO_ method to disable regen on the Taycan.

glasair2s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4s
Country flag
Regen (recuperation) is automatically ON when in Sport Plus. You can toggle recuperation from the steering wheel (LH lower switch) from ON to OFF or Auto (long press) or via the PCM.

Nice post and pictures,
Cheers

OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
OP
OP
daveo4EV

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
hmmmm - new summer tires going on the vehicle now - time to head back to Laguna and see what difference we can detect…stay tuned.
Sponsored