2020 Taycan U.S. Pricing For Turbo and Turbo S

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7XPorsche’s, 3XGolf R/ GTI
Country flag
In the US, the spread between the 911 4S and the Turbo is $50k. Hopefully, this same spread will apply to the Taycan putting the Taycan 4S at around $100k to start before options.
My 2018 4S is looking better and better! CDN$ Taycan Turbo starts at 173900CDN. Realistically 200k with options, plus taxes! Remember what Tesla did to early adopters....price reductions left them upside down in their financing!
Sponsored

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
In the US, the spread between the 911 4S and the Turbo is $50k. Hopefully, this same spread will apply to the Taycan putting the Taycan 4S at around $100k to start before options.
That is exactly what I expect for the 4S......100K plus $20K in options. But that might not happen for another year or more.

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
Very very surprised that the US price is higher than that in Euro (after taking out tax): 152136 Euro is 167724 USD incl. tax and 141000 USD before tax. That would be have been a good price. 10% more in the US vs Germany is really unusual. One has to wonder how much they are trying to protect their ICE models.
Dont forget there is the existing 2.5% tariff plus legitimate shipping costs. or is shipping an add-on to the sticker price? Then Porsche may be hedging for expected tariffs in December that Trumptard has threatened.

GratedWasabi

Banned
First Name
Jeffrey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan Turbo
Country flag
The Taycan S will be priced base between $108 and $120k in the US. Period. Add on basically required software + charging options for another 3 to 5k. Tires for 2 to 6k. Then get into the actual options.

You're not getting a basically spec'd Taycan S for less than $125k.

Haros

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
You bet
Country flag
$214k here for the Taycan turbo S plus a 20% luxury car tax

285kph

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 BMW X5 - 2021 Taycan - 2022 BMW X5 45e
Country flag
I guess I don't understand the angst over the pricing on the Taycan models. It prices and configures in the same neighborhood as the Panamera e-Hybrid Turbo S, which is about what you could have reasonably expected.
Probably many of us didn't understand that pricing "between Cayenne and Panamera" meant a base price (with mandatory options) above the Panamera: "We're expecting a price somewhere between a Cayenne and a Panamera,” said Robert Meier, Porsche model director for the Taycan (in 2018).

I was thinking of consolidating two cars (CPO 911 and CPO A8) into one Taycan Turbo with 4+1 seating. At ~140k this would come out about even, at $180k with options, I'll wait. Maybe CPO Taycan is the way to go. But in 2-3 years the Taycan range will look even more pathetic than it does now (sorry to say). I had hoped that as the first premium German BEV with a dedicated platform (unlike E-tron), the Taycan would do somewhat better.

One could wait for the 4S, but that will be behind the M3P in every performance category, for twice the price. I hate the M3P interior with a passion (it's not "minimalist, it's just dirt cheap), but I also hate being ripped off.

2Goldens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Volcano Grey
Country flag
Don't quite understand the pricing; maybe I've missed something. Best comment on the forum is that prices for 2020 "are high in the US because they can." But, it runs counter how Porsche was trying to picture itself in the launch, which emphasized a commitment to the environment. If Porsche is really committed to the planet, then they would want the Taycan to be more accessible, so that it would have wider acceptance and be purchased by more of us who live on the planet.

My perspective is I've had a string of BMW 6 series starting in 1985 (interrupted by an 8 when the 6 wasn't produced) -- lot of bimmers. Taycan tempted me strongly, and based on: "We're expecting a price somewhere between a Cayenne and a Panamera” from the model director for Taycan (which wasn't guided down in a host of subsequent magazine interviews (yes, Porsche marketing reads them)). My calculation is that a BMW M8 is +/-$130,000; so that would be +/-$15,000 above the Taycan based on pre-release pricing expectations. For the environment, I'll do it. But, now the base MSRP for the Taycan is $154,660, or +/-$25,000 above the M8 [perhaps more like $35,000 with options, and ignoring luxury tax and tax credits). Feel like I've been misled. I'll let this sit for a few days and see what develops, but my guess is I'll ask the dealer to return the deposit (without interest ;-)), and buy an M8 (or probably a 6-cylinder 840). Porsche seems to be missing a chance to convert a longtime BMW customer into a Porsche customer 'cuz I'm of no mind to see Porsche gouge the early folks, and then for me to wait while the price comes down. That's not right..

Sorry Porsche, think your pricing is misguided, but I understand you have a business to run. So does BMW.

Last edited:

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
Don't quite understand the pricing; maybe I've missed something. Best comment on the forum is that prices for 2020 "are high in the US because they can." But, it runs counter how Porsche was trying to picture itself in the launch, which emphasized a commitment to the environment. If Porsche is really committed to the planet, then they would want the Taycan to be more accessible, so that it would have wider acceptance and be purchased by more of us who live on the planet.

My perspective is I've had a string of BMW 6 series (interrupted by an 8 when the 6 wasn't produced) starting in 1985 -- lot of bimmers. Taycan tempted me strongly, and based on: "We're expecting a price somewhere between a Cayenne and a Panamera” from the model director for Taycan (which wasn't guided down in a host of subsequent magazine interviews (yes, Porsche marketing reads them)). My calculation is that a BMW M8 is +/-$130,000; so that would be +/-$15,000 above the Taycan based on pre-release pricing expectations. For the environment, I'll do it. But, now the base MSRP for the Taycan is $154,660, or +/-$25,000 above the M8 [perhaps more like $35,000 with options, and ignoring luxury tax and tax credits). Feel like I've been misled. I'll let this sit for a few days and see what develops, but my guess is I'll ask the dealer to return the deposit (without interest ;-)). Porsche may be missing a chance to convert a longtime BMW customer into a Porsche customer.

Sorry Porsche, think your pricing is misguided, but I understand you have a business to run. So does BMW.
It’s a Porsche, it would be twice that

My perspective is I've had a string of BMW 6 series (interrupted by an 8 when the 6 wasn't produced) starting in 1985 -- lot of bimmers. Taycan tempted me strongly, and based on: "We're expecting a price somewhere between a Cayenne and a Panamera” from the model director for Taycan (which wasn't guided down in a host of subsequent magazine interviews (yes, Porsche marketing reads them)). My calculation is that a BMW M8 is +/-$130,000; so that would be +/-$15,000 above the Taycan based on pre-release pricing expectations. For the environment, I'll do it. But, now the base MSRP for the Taycan is $154,660, or +/-$25,000 above the M8 [perhaps more like $35,000 with options, and ignoring luxury tax and tax credits). Feel like I've been misled. I'll let this sit for a few days and see what develops, but my guess is I'll ask the dealer to return the deposit (without interest ;-)), and buy an M8 (or probably a 6-cylinder 8). Porsche may be missing a chance to convert a longtime BMW customer into a Porsche customer.

Here is a simple explanation of the pricing, Porsche decided that if they priced the car at 30 or $40,000 less than they did, they would sell twice as many, but if they raise the price dramatically they lose half of their volume but actually make more profit from doing less It’s a simple calculation, if you raise the price of some thing buy enough and lose 50% of your sales you can still do more profit from far fewer sales and that is a much more attractive scenario for Porsche As long as they can convince 50% of their Porsche followers to fork over this kind of money, why not do it? And they will, they lose 15,000 of the 30,000 pre-orders and they’ll be happy to do it

Reactions: DRR

2Goldens

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S Volcano Grey
Country flag
If Porsche loses 15,000 of the 30,000 pre-orders, it probably never gets those customers back, either for a Taycan or any other model Porsche produces. There's the flaw. Profit trumps the planet (no pun intended)!! That wasn't what Porsche was trying to communicate in its unveil.

Nevadagame

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bentley Gt. C7 ZO6. Cayenne S. Panamera Turbo. Silverado 2500 Turbo Diesel
Country flag
If Porsche loses 15,000 of the 30,000 pre-orders, it probably never gets those customers back, either for a Taycan or any other model Porsche produces. There's the flaw. Profit trumps the planet (no pun intended)!! That wasn't what Porsche was trying to communicate in its unveil.
Of course it’s not what they tried to communicate but it’s nonetheless true they don’t want to be a high-volume producer they’d rather keep volume very low in profit very high it’s a simple as that

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7XPorsche’s, 3XGolf R/ GTI
Country flag

Here is a simple explanation of the pricing, Porsche decided that if they priced the car at 30 or $40,000 less than they did, they would sell twice as many, but if they raise the price dramatically they lose half of their volume but actually make more profit from doing less It’s a simple calculation, if you raise the price of some thing buy enough and lose 50% of your sales you can still do more profit from far fewer sales and that is a much more attractive scenario for Porsche As long as they can convince 50% of their Porsche followers to fork over this kind of money, why not do it? And they will, they lose 15,000 of the 30,000 pre-orders and they’ll be happy to do it
True.....BUT! They have a multi billion dollar facility to pay for.....with this EV factory and doubling staff! They’re not selling limited production Carrera gt’s or 918’s. They have chosen to enter EV future of vehicles. Nevertheless, its their business model...who am I, to query it!

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I suspect it’s a little more complicated than that. This way they prioritize production for people willing to pay extra, nudge those volumes up, and lead with a seriously aspirational car. All very Porsche. As orders slow down, they’ll announce the 4S to ensure they sell out their factory capacity. You’ll be able to tell how well the Taycan is doing by how quickly they announce less expensive trims.

EnjoyTheDrive

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 993, MB C63 AMG 507, S2000, Nissan GTR, Tesla M3P Track option, Volvo XC40, BMW E30 325IX, Subaru Forester XT, (Had owned Tesla 85, Tesla P90D)
Country flag
I suspect it’s a little more complicated than that. This way they prioritize production for people willing to pay extra, nudge those volumes up, and lead with a seriously aspirational car. All very Porsche. As orders slow down, they’ll announce the 4S to ensure they sell out their factory capacity. You’ll be able to tell how well the Taycan is doing by how quickly they announce less expensive trims.

Good response. Very disappointed based on their Turbo and Turbo S pricing. I will be watching closely when they announce that the 4S is open to configure. I did get a call from my salesperson last night and he was also surprised by the pricing and does not know when Porsche will open up 4S orders. I do hope that 4S pricing starts in the high $90’s as (basic) options add up quickly.

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag

Astute analysis. They will lose about half of us deposit holders. The pricing is outrageous. Even for Porsche. Charging for enhanced electric sound in a 200k vehicle? Are you kidding?
Sponsored