First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4S, 2021 Model Y Performance
Country flag
It’s a Porsche, it would be twice that

Here is a simple explanation of the pricing, Porsche decided that if they priced the car at 30 or $40,000 less than they did, they would sell twice as many, but if they raise the price dramatically they lose half of their volume but actually make more profit from doing less It’s a simple calculation, if you raise the price of some thing buy enough and lose 50% of your sales you can still do more profit from far fewer sales and that is a much more attractive scenario for Porsche As long as they can convince 50% of their Porsche followers to fork over this kind of money, why not do it? And they will, they lose 15,000 of the 30,000 pre-orders and they’ll be happy to do it
I agree. With 30,000 pre-orders they can lose half and be in a better position to hit production deadlines and make higher margins. Porsche has never been a volume chasing brand plus they want to control the migration of their customers from their more profitable ICE cars. The real target here is Tesla not existing Porsche customers. It also looks like they pocketed the $7,500 US tax credit in their pricing. A Taycan 4S with decent wheels and a few options will be around $125,000. I'd prefer a Taycan 4 with the Mission E Turbo wheels since its this design that sold me in the first place. That model may be a few years away. I'm afraid a base affordable Taycan will look like a Panamera "Lite."
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: Ron

PITTSBURGHTAYCAN

First Name
CH-PGH
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hyundai Palisade, Previous A4, Cayenne, 2018 M5
Country flag
I guess the good thing about the price being so high for the people wanting to be in the $100-125k range is that you will be able to see and drive the turbo before having to order a 4S model. I never drove my M5 before buying it and I regretted not getting a Panamera within a month.

I drove a Model 3 to see what the rush of electric performance would feel like. Now I can feel the Porsche since my dealer said the waiting list was quite disappointed in the starting price of the initial models.

The fact that we are all complaining about spending $100-200k on a car is such a good problem to have.

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
7XPorsche’s, 3XGolf R/ GTI
Country flag
I guess the good thing about the price being so high for the people wanting to be in the $100-125k range is that you will be able to see and drive the turbo before having to order a 4S model. I never drove my M5 before buying it and I regretted not getting a Panamera within a month.

I drove a Model 3 to see what the rush of electric performance would feel like. Now I can feel the Porsche since my dealer said the waiting list was quite disappointed in the starting price of the initial models.

The fact that we are all complaining about spending $100-200k on a car is such a good problem to have.
I’m guessing the 200k price point is doable by most of us? However, most of us see value in things.....200k for 800-1000km range has value. 200k for 450km, less than the competition has no value....no matter how many times you run high speed up and down the runway. And I know about runways(see my username). On the positive side, give Porsche interior design engineers high credit. The exterior styling is good and close to the E. technical performance(range) is very disappointing. Seems that.....Porsche......many compromises!

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
The Taycan 4S will be priced base between $108 and $120k in the US. Period. Add on basically required software + charging options for another 3 to 5k. Tires for 2 to 6k. Then get into the actual options.

You're not getting a basically spec'd Taycan S for less than $125k.
I agree. I even posted several months ago expecting the Taycan 4S to be $100k based on statements from Porsche and you always have to add $15k to $25K to a Porsche in options, so I was fully expecting a $125K car. But now I think the Taycan 4S will START at $110 to $120k. Everyone was expecting the Turbo to start around $130k. And ended up 20% higher than expectations. Everyone is so disappointed because Porsche kept saying priced between Cayenne and Panamera, even though the regulars on this forum had been speculating for several months that the pricing was going to be at Carrera pricing levels. Now that I look at it, the Taycan is essentially exactly the same price levels of the Panamera.....Just look at the Panamera 4S price, the Panamera Turbo and then the Panamera Turbo S E-hybrid......Since the Taycan is exactly same class as the Panamera, there actually should be NO surprise in the pricing had we thought about it better.

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I agree. I even posted several months ago expecting the Taycan 4S to be $100k based on statements from Porsche and you always have to add $15k to $25K to a Porsche in options, so I was fully expecting a $125K car. But now I think the Taycan 4S will START at $110 to $120k. Everyone was expecting the Turbo to start around $130k. And ended up 20% higher than expectations. Everyone is so disappointed because Porsche kept saying priced between Cayenne and Panamera, even though the regulars on this forum had been speculating for several months that the pricing was going to be at Carrera pricing levels. Now that I look at it, the Taycan is essentially exactly the same price levels of the Panamera.....Just look at the Panamera 4S price, the Panamera Turbo and then the Panamera Turbo S E-hybrid......Since the Taycan is exactly same class as the Panamera, there actually should be NO surprise in the pricing had we thought about it better.
From my other post.....Porsche is basically entering the EV market with one competitor, using their ICE vehicle(Panamera) pricing! Kind of sucking and blowing at the same time.......does not compute. But, the uber rich will easily fork out 200-300k for bragging rights. Not sure if that will pay for the new factories and workforce!!

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag
From my other post.....Porsche is basically entering the EV market with one competitor, using their ICE vehicle(Panamera) pricing! Kind of sucking and blowing at the same time.......does not compute. But, the uber rich will easily fork out 200-300k for bragging rights. Not sure if that will pay for the new factories and workforce!!
And why would you expect a Porsche not to be priced as a Porsche? Being priced as a Panamera is completely what should have been expected,. Actually, you should expect it to MORE expensive than the Panamera. Even Tesla is MUCH higher prices than ICE vehicles of similar quality.....The same can be said about the Leaf, I3 etc. Then again, Porsche said it would be price between the Cayenne and Panamera when Taycan was first announced, but in last few months Porsche indicated otherwise, so to me, its NO surprise. Most on this forum said Carrera pricing

Rotordude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
And why would you expect a Porsche not to be priced as a Porsche? Being priced as a Panamera is completely what should have been expected,. Actually, you should expect it to MORE expensive than the Panamera. Even Tesla is MUCH higher prices than ICE vehicles of similar quality.....The same can be said about the Leaf, I3 etc. Then again, Porsche said it would be price between the Cayenne and Panamera when Taycan was first announced, but in last few months Porsche indicated otherwise, so to me, its NO surprise. Most on this forum said Carrera pricing
I expected a Porsche EV not to be priced based on a Porsche ICE. Two different things...IMHO. I respect their right to price it however they want.

They are entering the higher end, EV “mass production” market....not the limited production 918 market for example. IMHO, the Taycan is geared towards daily driving with high performance. One has to be able to live with this machine with daily use. There are definitely people out there who accept $200k, 450km and beautiful design VS $140k, 600km and acceptable styling. Not sure how many buyers are gonna run 26 times up and down a runway..to justify the price differential with the only other EV competitor?

BTW...i’m Not a Tesla owner.....so not promoting them at all.

To each their own.

Reactions: DRR

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I expected a Porsche EV not to be priced based on a Porsche ICE. Two different things...IMHO. I respect their right to price it however they want.

They are entering the higher end, EV “mass production” market....not the limited production 918 market for example. IMHO, the Taycan is geared towards daily driving with high performance. One has to be able to live with this machine with daily use. There are definitely people out there who accept $200k, 450km and beautiful design VS $140k, 600km and acceptable styling. Not sure how many buyers are gonna run 26 times up and down a runway..to justify the price differential with the only other EV competitor?

BTW...i’m Not a Tesla owner.....so not promoting them at all.

To each their own.
Right, I would not expect any manufacturer to price their EVs same as their ICE vehicles. So far EVERY manufacturer has their EVs priced CONSIDERABLY higher than their ICE vehicles. Porsche is pricing the Taycan the SAME as its similar ICE vehicle! So from a logical point of view, Porsche is doing BETTER on pricing than any other ICE manufacturer. I think most of the frustration comes that most people on this forum, like myself, want the 4S, and some others want the base model and neither is available.

I am a HUGE Tesla fan. And plan on owning one in the next year or two, specifically the Y, which is supposed to be technologically the most sophisticated of an already amazing vehicle line up from Tesla. But the Taycan will be my performance car, the Tesla my work vehicle

DrParis

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 991.2 C4S. Panamera GTS
Country flag
I’m guessing the 200k price point is doable by most of us? However, most of us see value in things.....200k for 800-1000km range has value. 200k for 450km, less than the competition has no value....no matter how many times you run high speed up and down the runway. And I know about runways(see my username). On the positive side, give Porsche interior design engineers high credit. The exterior styling is good and close to the E. technical performance(range) is very disappointing. Seems that.....Porsche......many compromises!
Exactly. Well said

dennis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance, P85D, McLaren 720S, Cayenne S
Country flag
Just to put some volume numbers into this discussion. Historically the P version of Model S has represented 5-6% of sales. That’s 2500-3000 per year worldwide. My 2012 P85 was about $110K. My 2015 P85D with Insane Mode was $130K. P100D with Ludicrous got close to $150K for a short time. But Tesla has been dropping list prices since then and now a new P100DL is $100K.

I see a lot of Porsche’s in Silicon Valley, including about one GT3 per week. But I’d guesstimate that the Turbo and Turbo S trims represent 10% or less of the 911/Panamera/cayennes sold. And those are at or below the price point of the available Taycan trims.

Given these two volume data points there is no way Porsche will sell even 10K of the top Taycan trims. The prevailing sentiment on Rennlist and Reddit discussion forums is the same as here - pricing is too high, I’m getting my deposit back. Or at least waiting for pricing/specs for the 4S.

IMO Porsche execs got carried away with the enthusiasm and deposits for the Taycan and forgot that those were based on their communicated price points which were much lower.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Just to put some volume numbers into this discussion. Historically the P version of Model S has represented 5-6% of sales. That’s 2500-3000 per year worldwide. My 2012 P85 was about $110K. My 2015 P85D with Insane Mode was $130K. P100D with Ludicrous got close to $150K for a short time. But Tesla has been dropping list prices since then and now a new P100DL is $100K.

I see a lot of Porsche’s in Silicon Valley, including about one GT3 per week. But I’d guesstimate that the Turbo and Turbo S trims represent 10% or less of the 911/Panamera/cayennes sold. And those are at or below the price point of the available Taycan trims.

Given these two volume data points there is no way Porsche will sell even 10K of the top Taycan trims. The prevailing sentiment on Rennlist and Reddit discussion forums is the same as here - pricing is too high, I’m getting my deposit back. Or at least waiting for pricing/specs for the 4S.

IMO Porsche execs got carried away with the enthusiasm and deposits for the Taycan and forgot that those were based on their communicated price points which were much lower.
pretty sure they have a solid understanding of the 911 carrera vs turbo break down and the panamera vs turbo hybrid.

and they are totally okay with this. After they hit their top end goals, they’ll announce a 4S. Next year a base trim. If the prices are way too high they’ll adjust them a little quickly.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
pretty sure they have a solid understanding of the 911 carrera vs turbo break down and the panamera vs turbo hybrid.

and they are totally okay with this. After they hit their top end goals, they’ll announce a 4S. Next year a base trim. If the prices are way too high they’ll adjust them a little quickly.
I guess I'd question taking the Carrera/Turbo analogy as basis for the Pcar company knowing what they are doing w/the Turbo/TurboS pricing.
I get the former of the two (C4 Carrera/Turbo).....have both, however both are "sports cars".
Porsche can call Taycan a "sports car" all day long but that does not make it so.
Every 911 series has launched the high-end Turbo last.....so the strategy here is different, assuming there is a strategy.
What are their "top end goals" with these two models?......if it's only 1000 orders or 3 or 4% of their depositors then they will be throwing the switch on the 4S before Christmas, and, as you say, maybe re-thinking even the 4S pricing.
As many, I've watched this for 4 years.......both the design of the E and the many 'price leaks' on the Taycan.
I have to think.....that AG pricing the very 1st car off-the-line at over $160K had to be discussed as a bit of a calculated a gamble......in the board rooms of Zuffenhusen.

Just speculation.

Ron R

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2014 Porsche Cayman
Country flag
I guess I'd question taking the Carrera/Turbo analogy as basis for the Pcar company knowing what they are doing w/the Turbo/TurboS pricing.
I get the former of the two (C4 Carrera/Turbo).....have both, however both are "sports cars".
Porsche can call Taycan a "sports car" all day long but that does not make it so.
Every 911 series has launched the high-end Turbo last.....so the strategy here is different, assuming there is a strategy.
What are their "top end goals" with these two models?......if it's only 1000 orders or 3 or 4% of their depositors then they will be throwing the switch on the 4S before Christmas, and, as you say, maybe re-thinking even the 4S pricing.
As many, I've watched this for 4 years.......both the design of the E and the many 'price leaks' on the Taycan.
I have to think.....that AG pricing the very 1st car off-the-line at over $160K had to be discussed as a bit of a calculated a gamble......in the board rooms of Zuffenhusen.

Just speculation.
I get the impression there may be a higher-end Taycan GT or GTS variant in the future, but that be something they would release if lighter-weight batteries become available. If this is the case, it seems to me the Taycan release somewhat follows what Porsche did with the Cayman. In 2006 they released the Cayman S, with the base Cayman following a year later. Then, as time went on, they offered higher-end variants like the Cayman R, GTS, GT4, etc.

From Porsche's perspective, I think think they see the performance of the Taycan much closer to the 911 than the Panamera, but the current 4-door form factor is like the Panamera. I think if you take a loose definition of "sports car" as something that's a blast to drive, I'd say most everything in their lineup can be classified as "sports car" (well, maybe not the Cayenne... :).

Marin Bill

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Bimota Tesi 3D, 1974 Alfa GTV, Fiat Abarth, Moto Guzzi V7
Country flag
I can't rationalize the price delta to a Tesla. To spend $200K on a car, I need to be obsessed with it. The Taycan doesn't stir that level of passion. My wife has long wanted a Tesla, but I sold her on a Taycan. I'm not going to spend $125K on a base-model Taycan when the 3-motor Model S will likely compete on paper with the Turbo S, but at the price of the GTS. Does not compute.

GreggT

First Name
GreggT
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.drivingfanatic.com
Vehicles
Multiple Porsches and Mercedes AMG
Country flag
I can't rationalize the price delta to a Tesla. To spend $200K on a car, I need to be obsessed with it. The Taycan doesn't stir that level of passion. My wife has long wanted a Tesla, but I sold her on a Taycan. I'm not going to spend $125K on a base-model Taycan when the 3-motor Model S will likely compete on paper with the Turbo S, but at the price of the GTS. Does not compute.
Appreciate your view point.
I'm curious if the Mission E body would have stir'd enough passion for the $125K........or no?
Sponsored