David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Vehicle dropped off: Tuesday April 20th - to begin update on April 21st
Loaner provided - Cayenne Based with some options
Vehicle was "doing the update" from Wed. until Friday - Service said they had no issues applying the update
Car picked up Monday April 26th (I was out of town for pickup)

So far so good - observations in no particular order
  • I lost no settings - everything was as I left it when I dropped the vehicle off
  • wireless CarPlay "just worked" - no phone re-pairing was required
  • smartlift is funcitonal
  • homelink still functional
  • custom button settings (the 2 diamonds) are still set as I left them
  • PCM seems snappier
  • Porsche Navigation has some nice new minor touches - nothing in particular, but it's different/improved
  • Charging via PMCC now starts faster after plug in
  • Charging via Tesla Gen2 Wall Chargers starts faster after plug-in and properly managed variable AMP's for dynamic loads
  • changes to charging timers seems to have less time with the spinner "on screen" post change
  • changes to charging profiles seem to have less time with the spinner "on screen" post change
  • no visible improvement to charging time/profile functionality or UI
  • ApplePod Casting is now supported
  • AppleMusic now seems to remember where you left off rather than starting a play list over
  • PMCC for MY'20 Taycan does _NOT_ show current charing percentage
    • I have toggled PLC to vehicle on & off - no difference
  • PMCC for MY'20 Taycan does not ask me to "add" my vehicle to the list so you can skip the PIN code entry
  • Setting up "individual" drive mode (range, normal, sport, sports+, individual) now offers you the ability to save Sound & Regen settings - this seems new to me but I'm not sure
  • I can still get in the car and touch he brake and just start driving without explicating touching the "ignition/power" button
  • car was received with no pending PCM updates - I have a question into dealer as to if they applied all the updates post "install" - still waiting for answer - at this time I have no software updates pending according to PCM user interface
  • WiFi hotspot still does not allow me "share" the vehicles hot spot
  • PCM calendar application seems to pull data from my iPhone, but is painful slow and makes it unusable - also seems to be "off" by one day - more investigation required
  • initial drive after pickup seems to use more power - but not enough driving to tell if this is just one time or a new normal - stay tuned
  • vehicle's interactions with external AC chargers is "snappier" - with in car charging user interface seeming to be less confused and quicker to adjust to charging circumstances
  • my PMCC was also update - but honestly I have no idea what changes were made or how to tell if I have the update.
  • Dealer Service gave the vehicle back to me with no notes or comments other than it was completed and there were no issues during the update process.
I'll post more information once I have it - so far so good but only one 45 mile drive so far.
Sponsored

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
PCM was also snappier for me for the first week or so but over time it is back to previous responsiveness. It is like when you install a fresh copy of Windows on your PC which make it faster for a while and eventually it degrades.

Curious to hear your experience after 2-4 weeks.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
@daveo4EV you beat me to writing an update about a successful update.
My car was at the dealer for the WMA5 and 7 update for two weeks. But I also had a malfunctioning OTA module and the needed to change a Gateway computer?

Happy to report that all is well now and I can use the app as well as all the functions in the car. No issues found after the update and very happy with how this has been performed. It took longer than the three days planned, but I did not suffer in the loaner, a Cayman GTS 4.0!

My experience is just like the OP summary, with the only difference that I received about 15 OTA updates during the drive home. But I guess most of this was due to the change of the OTA module etc. Some settings were required to be adjusted but nothing important. I also received a number of destinations that have been sent to the vehicle but stuck in the system.

Apple CarPlay worked directly without any extra effort.

Very Happy with this update now!

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Both beat me! Had the WMA5 up-date. Car was with the dealer for 10 days - was told that the up-date itself took three full days (rest of the time was to try and rectify other issues and general dealer faffing). Up-date went smoothly, but you can tell how burdensome this must be for each 2020 Taycan take-up three full days of time/workshop space. You guys have mentioned most of the things I have found. Few others:

Other good up-dates -

• Dynamic ambient lighting seems to be able to mix colours, so sometimes get purple or pink. Annoying you can't select those colours on the menu - I know, I have bad taste.
  • Apple Music menu now scrolls with the tracks as they are played.

Problems -

• Whenever someone touches the iPhone, the PCM shifts into CarPlay so have to go back to the PCM system if I'm using that for nav / music
  • Can't get Apple Music and Apple Podcasts - try and use the QR code for Apple Podcasts, then I get logged off Apple Music (and have to use the QR code for Apple Music) - then if I use the QR code for Apple Music, logged out of Apple Podcasts.
  • Connection to the connect app now much ropier than it was before the up-date.
  • Sometimes the little pull-up button on the bottom screen that allows you to see the top row of the borrow screen just disappears. Have to reboot car to get the toggle back.
  • Speed limit display, which was perfect before the up-date, now really unreliable. I had it display 90mph over the weekend. Last time I checked, that is 20mph above the national speed limit. Not sure the excuse would fly with the coppers.
  • Solar power trickle charging has got worse - if the Sun goes behind clouds, the car goes into a charging error cycle, and then when the Sun comes back out again the EV charger (Zappi) can't restart the charge. I think this is related to the 12V battery issues (i.e. Porsche have tried to sort out one of the 12V battery issues, but a side-effect is that it impacts trickle charging).
  • Disappointed that wireless charging has not been activated - bizarrely all UK 2020 Taycan do not have wireless charging. The 2021 Taycan do, so no idea why it was restricted.
  • Car stops saying "in order" whenever I ask for something on voice activation. I know this was a bad translation of "in ordnung", but I thought it gave the car a bit of personality. Or maybe I just like dominant female voices.
  • The software up-date does not seem to have fixed by rattling speaker or misaligned wing/spoiler. These Porsche software guys are just not up to it.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
These photos are from the OTA updates after WMA5. The updates became available right after I switched from Guest to my personal account (which did not ask for a password).
@daveo4EV if the dealer selected your account then they almost certainly installed the updates themselves.
I am not sure where you can check your PCM app versions to see if they match my photos.

Porsche Taycan 2021 April Software update results - 2020 Taycan Turbo 20210407_152134

Porsche Taycan 2021 April Software update results - 2020 Taycan Turbo 20210407_152118

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
These photos are from the OTA updates after WMA5. The updates became available right after I switched from Guest to my personal account (which did not ask for a password).
@daveo4EV if the dealer selected your account then they almost certainly installed the updates themselves.
I am not sure where you can check your PCM app versions to see if they match my photos.

20210407_152134.jpg

20210407_152118.jpg
Daveo4EV - Apple Music Lyrics and Apple Podcasts were part of the 10-15 manual up-dates on my car post WMA5, so if you have those it is likely that your dealer downloaded all the up-dates for you.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Hmm. Other than wireless Apple Car play, ambient lighting that changes to album cover color (Kinda), I have seen no difference in anything. Perhaps I'm not looking that hard but everything seems exactly the same other than the above changes.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dealer Service gave the vehicle back to me with no notes or comments other than it was completed and there were no issues during the update process.
This is a missed opportunity for Porsche to get a lot of Goodwill. Would have been really nice to get a description on the updates since it was such a big update!

But the main thing is that it worked and for me it has improved a lot, but I also have been without OTA communication for two months!

Mwa3aan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford F-150 Raptor, Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I have the surround cameras on my MY20 Turbo with the 8 (i think) cameras. When you select Reverse there now are dots around the car and when you move your hand closer it changes to little cameras you can press. that's either new or I never noticed this before.

I also noticed that my door handles now pop out 100% of the time when I walk towards the car where previously it almost never popped out.

I noticed everything the OP had and my experience with no other downloaded updates available was similar. That has to do with the fact that they set OTA to auto-install. You never see them. If you disable this you start seeing them popping up. I picked up my car 4 days ago and disabled the auto-update. Now I see a notification asking if I want to install downloaded updates. I have had a calendar software OTA update that downloaded.

I don't really see any snappiness improvements in the PCM and the car performance (acceleration and breaking) feels the same to me.

TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Did you guys get some note (e-mail or letter) that you were eligible for this update? Last I spoke to the dealer (late March maybe?) they told me they couldn't install it until I got something from Porsche alerting me to my eligibility for it.

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Did you guys get some note (e-mail or letter) that you were eligible for this update? Last I spoke to the dealer (late March maybe?) they told me they couldn't install it until I got something from Porsche alerting me to my eligibility for it.
I actually got an e-mail with an invitation for the WMA5/7 software update of my MY2020 4S about five or six weeks ago.

TriTaycan

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I actually got an e-mail with an invitation for the WMA5/7 software update of my MY2020 4S about five or six weeks ago.
Thanks. I never received anything, but just called them and they scheduled an appointment for me. Very much looking forward to wireless CarPlay and comfort access that actually works. Any improvement in the rear camera after update?

Raek

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, E92 M3, Wrangler TJ
Country flag
Welp, got my car back after a solid week and it's great! All of my settings were there and my intermittent charging issues on the DC port were addressed.

Couldn't be happier! Also, the OTA updates were super fast when I got home.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I got a phone call from my dealer to advise that the update was available for me. Originally planned to only address rhe OTA issues.

I found a great update in the navigator when you plan a route. It was faster and also showed me information about the Ionity charging stops with availability of free chargers, and some more information. Good progress and just wish Ionity roll out picks up.

Also very pleased to see my dealer has installed 2 HPC, which were not operational as yet, but were connected. No information about charging power though, but they had the Porsche design and were quite nice.

Last edited:

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Thanks. I never received anything, but just called them and they scheduled an appointment for me. Very much looking forward to wireless CarPlay and comfort access that actually works. Any improvement in the rear camera after update?
Glad to hear that you will get updated soon. I did not notice a dramatic difference in the rear camera but I may not have seen it if there was because 1) I typically look at the 360 Surround birds-eye view to park, and 2) I was never that bothered by the (admittedly distorted) rear camera picture anyway.
Sponsored