2021 build - PMC vs. PMCC (connect version)

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2021 Audi Q7
Country flag
Hi all,

I am in the process of building (to order) a 2021 Taycan 4S and unlike on MY2020 models, they no longer force you to purchase the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC)... as it now comes standard with the more basic Porsche Mobile Charger (PMC). The PMC does not connect to Wifi and charges at 7.2kW instead of 9.6kW... but besides that, I am wondering what the differences are between the two. Why would I need the Wifi in the PMCC? i.e. Aren't all of the timers/schedules (for off-peak charging, pre-conditioning, etc.) handled in the car/phone app and NOT through the charger itself? The reality is that I was planning on getting a 3rd party charger (ChargePoint, ClipperCreek, or Juicebox) and leaving it in my garage at all times, and then leaving the PMC (that comes free with the car) in my vehicle at all times and bringing with me to a secondary residence that I go to ~1 weekend a month and plugging it into the 240v NEMA 14-50 that's already in the garage where I park it.

What am I missing? Am I going to lose out on some features by not using the PMCC as my main charger at home? If so, I could pony up for that and then buy a 2nd (3rd party) charger to leave in vehicle. But that will be more expensive. And I lease... so think I will have to give back my Porsche charger when I return my lease anyway!

Any/all help is much appreciated. Thanks all! Looking forward to finalizing my build and joining the family
Sponsored

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Hi all,

I am in the process of building (to order) a 2021 Taycan 4S and unlike on MY2020 models, they no longer force you to purchase the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC)... as it now comes standard with the more basic Porsche Mobile Charger (PMC). The PMC does not connect to Wifi and charges at 7.2kW instead of 9.6kW... but besides that, I am wondering what the differences are between the two. Why would I need the Wifi in the PMCC? i.e. Aren't all of the timers/schedules (for off-peak charging, pre-conditioning, etc.) handled in the car/phone app and NOT through the charger itself? The reality is that I was planning on getting a 3rd party charger (ChargePoint, ClipperCreek, or Juicebox) and leaving it in my garage at all times, and then leaving the PMC (that comes free with the car) in my vehicle at all times and bringing with me to a secondary residence that I go to ~1 weekend a month and plugging it into the 240v NEMA 14-50 that's already in the garage where I park it.

What am I missing? Am I going to lose out on some features by not using the PMCC as my main charger at home? If so, I could pony up for that and then buy a 2nd (3rd party) charger to leave in vehicle. But that will be more expensive. And I lease... so think I will have to give back my Porsche charger when I return my lease anyway!

Any/all help is much appreciated. Thanks all! Looking forward to finalizing my build and joining the family
Your plan sounds like a good one.

chrisk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I have PMCC and I find its wifi functionality useless for me. In my opinion, the only advantage it is supposed to have is the download of latest software updates for itself.
But the OTA update for the car are nonexistent so far, and I guess so will be for PMCC..

As for plugging and unplugging to the 14-50 outlet, the ones for household use are only good for unplugging a handful of times. It is like the dryer plugs that you only (un)plug once every 20 years. If you plan to do it monthly replace with an industrial grade outlet.

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
First, I was looking here:
https://www.porsche.com/usa/aboutporsche/e-performance/home-charging/
Then also cross referencing Suncoast — who lists the PMCC as 19.2kW max.

My understanding is as follows: it sounds like the PMCC can (or eventually will via updates) support up to ~80 amps (240v 80A = 19.2 kW). Whereas the PMC or PMC-Plus, which is now “standard” in the 2021 cars sounds like it will support perhaps 9.6 kW max (240v 40A) but other places show 12kW (50A).

(It is worth noting that our cars are published to have a 22kW max charging based on the onboard AC charger — which at 240V USA would be 90A with some rounding)

Depending on where you live, and what you have access to .... it really may come down to if the “faster” charger makes sense to you or not. On the road, chances are anywhere you’d plus in will be at best a NEMA 14-50 (50A) such that the what comes in the car is fine for “in the wild” — and there is no need for something more robust on the road. However, at home, if your home is new enough and has a panel with ample power, you could eek out more. My home (built 1958) only allowed me a 50A breaker which meant a 40A max output. This has been the case since our first electric car purchased 12+ years ago.

(Side note: I don’t need the PMCC in my 2020 4S and would be willing to part with it for a reasonable price — although I’d perhaps want more to trade for the lesser model just to have with the car when I sell it down the road; not sure)

FWIW — I usually suggest people install a permanent J1772 setup in their home. Rather than using an outlet, which adds another potential fail point, it makes more sense to just hardware something. You Alluded to this (ChargePoint, ClipperCreek, JuiceBox, etc)- and that is perhaps the best way to go. Also, you’ll find that 99.8% of the time you are charging on the road, its a similar fixed unit and your cable rarely will leave your trunk. Only maybe an overnight stay at an RV park would require your charging cable. Or, as is the case with me right now, I’m in my wife’s Tesla at a rental property (not ours) and using the charge cable to trickle on 120V — but snice we’re spending 10-12 hours parked each day, its adding more mileage than we’re actually using on this “vacation” getaway.

Pardon the rambling. Hope this answers your questions?

OP
OP
mc9er

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you so much for the detailed reply. Really appreciate it! I am just a little bit confused by the charge numbers you stated for the standard PMC. I see on Porsche’s website (screenshots attached as well) that the standard PCM (that comes with the car now for 2021) charges at a max of 7.2 kW, but you noted 9.6-12 kW. On the PMCC, I see that it can do the 9.6 (with the potential via a future update to hit 19.2 - but at that point, you’d be hardwiring vs. plug in)... and I also think you have to add yet another option on the 2021 build to support that level (19.2) of charging (see screenshot of that attached as well from the build process).

Thanks!

Porsche Taycan 2021 build - PMC vs. PMCC (connect version) 69BE330C-5DEC-476B-84F3-6BF8135EDAFA

Porsche Taycan 2021 build - PMC vs. PMCC (connect version) 1D4D18E7-E1F0-4EBC-9FBC-D1268C51F756

Porsche Taycan 2021 build - PMC vs. PMCC (connect version) 3F44814D-38A1-4D0C-B60D-B26FB02E8D43

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
Hi all,

Not sure where you saw that it comes standard with the PMC. It is not listed on the US standard equipment. You can now not order any charger for the car or pay $1,120 for the PMCC. I guess I was lucky as my lock included the PMCC for 2021 models locked recently but now it is a $1,120 option. If you don't care about using a Porsche Charger, I would go with one of the third party chargers. I would have done that if they made me pay for the PMCC (unlike 2020 models where the buyer was forced to purchase the PMCC).

I agree with the others, most places you charge away from home will include a full service charger so all you have to have is the car. I would see what your dealer says about PMCC vs PMC (if neither comes free) and if they say you have to pay for it, I would go the third party way.

OP
OP
mc9er

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Not sure where you saw that it comes standard with the PMC. It is not listed on the US standard equipment. You can now not order any charger for the car or pay $1,120 for the PMCC. I guess I was lucky as my lock included the PMCC for 2021 models locked recently but now it is a $1,120 option. If you don't care about using a Porsche Charger, I would go with one of the third party chargers. I would have done that if they made me pay for the PMCC (unlike 2020 models where the buyer was forced to purchase the PMCC).

I agree with the others, most places you charge away from home will include a full service charger so all you have to have is the car. I would see what your dealer says about PMCC vs PMC (if neither comes free) and if they say you have to pay for it, I would go the third party way.
I saw it on the link @arijaycomet posted above. In my message right after his (I forgot to quote his message!) I screenshotted and attached a photo that says “this comes with your car”. So just assumed that would be true for the Taycan. Maybe my assumption is off-base though!

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
I saw it on the link @arijaycomet posted above. In my message right after his (I forgot to quote his message!) I screenshotted and attached a photo that says “this comes with your car”. So just assumed that would be true for the Taycan. Maybe my assumption is off-base though!
Based on that information from Porsche (which I think is generic to any hybrid sold by Porsche), I would ask my salesman and then go with a third party as they are probably better.

OP
OP
mc9er

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I also just found this: https://newsroom.porsche.com/en_US/...unctions-on-demand-head-up-display-21885.html

The last paragraph of the paragraph, under “pricing and availability”, says:

2021 Taycan models will be available to order starting in Q4 2020, while U.S. dealer arrivals are expected in Q1 2021. Taycan 4S models can now be configured with the standard 79.2 kWh Performance Battery (EPA range estimate not available), and all Taycan models will come standard with a double-bubble aluminum roof and Mobile Charger Plus.

I’m guessing that means the basic PMC (which I think was previously called the Mobile Charger Plus... but now Porsche Mobile Charger). So if that’s the case, sure looks like it comes with that which I will keep in my trunk and get a 3rd party one for my garage on a more permanent basis!

OP
OP
mc9er

mc9er

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Based on that information from Porsche (which I think is generic to any hybrid sold by Porsche), I would ask my salesman and then go with a third party as they are probably better.
I think we posted at the same time! See my most recent comment which was right after yours here. Found something in a press release that states it comes with. I will double-confirm with my salesman as well but think I’m all set

lazvek

First Name
Laz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2008 911 Carrera S Cabrio
Country flag
I locked my order in August for a 2021 model and I just picked it up. It came with a PMCC in the trunk which I struggled with this weekend. It appears to be the equivalent of a full level 2 charger including the wifi, LCD screen, and an embedded web server. It took a lot of time to set it up and it's nicely integrated, but I think it's overkill to carry around in your trunk to charge in a pinch. It also is very particular about your ground wiring. It will refuse to work if it doesn't like your outlets.

If you are planning on leaving it permanently at home, it might make sense as a Porsche-branded L2 that plugs into Connected. In fact, they included a nice wall mount bracket for it. That said, at $1100 or so, there are lots of cheaper options. I have a Chargepoint at home which cost a lot less and is easier to use, IMO.

wmras

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan TS, GT4 (sold), Macan Turbo, Cayman SBE 987.18
Country flag
I have PMCC and I find its wifi functionality useless for me. In my opinion, the only advantage it is supposed to have is the download of latest software updates for itself.
But the OTA update for the car are nonexistent so far, and I guess so will be for PMCC..

As for plugging and unplugging to the 14-50 outlet, the ones for household use are only good for unplugging a handful of times. It is like the dryer plugs that you only (un)plug once every 20 years. If you plan to do it monthly replace with an industrial grade outlet.
Our MY 2020 Turbo S came with a PMCC configured with a NEMA 6-50 plug (3 wires instead of 4, cooler, less leakage current, more flexible). It has been flawless since AUG 2020. Immediately connected it to our WI-FI and it updated itself and rebooted. Set it to auto update. Has PLC (Power Line Communication) but left the configuration alone. Looks good, works well, and would choose it again. Our mounting and industrial circuit have caused zero heating problems.

Porsche Taycan 2021 build - PMC vs. PMCC (connect version) 1609397517730

Highly recommend industrial grade receptacle, conduit, breaker, and THNN #6 gauge wiring. No part of our system gets too hot to touch at 40 Amps continuous for hours. Our service has a robust ground rod outside on the other side of the wall behind the electrical panel.

Four-wire circuits to NEMA 14-50 receptacles create more ground-fault leakage current, something the PMCC is fussy about. The only design flaw I see is the small gauge #10 gauge wire on the input cable.

Smithy37

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 991.2 C4 GTS. Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
My advice, for what it’s worth is, save your money & buy the cheaper version for keeping with you in the car & get a dedicated home charging point.
Don’t get too hung up on charging power (speed). I did when I bought mine but in reality the 7kw speed I get from my Anderson charger always has me at my required charge level every morning. In reality you are rarely going to run out of time to charge it overnight. Then keep the mobile charger in the car should you ever find yourself in trouble when you are out and about and need to plug in somewhere more than ideal.

I’m less than a month into ownership so other people’s opinions may differ to my own.

You pays your money....

arijaycomet

First Name
Ari
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Porsche Taycan 4 Cross Turismo
Country flag
@mc9er there is data on other sites that vary in what both the PMCC and PMC/plus can do. My data was off I think the international site, but also doing just a bit of math. Volts x Amps = Watts (% 1000 for kW) — and knowing that most EVSE (”chargers”) are going to work in 10 amp increments.

But the take-away and bottom line here is summarized by @Smithy37 reply just above mine. If you “want” a cable with your car, just take whatever is included at no charge (if anything) or add the cheapest mobile cable option. And get a proper fixed wall unit at home. I’m a big fan of the ChargePoint Home Flex, but the offerings from JuiceBox and ClipperCreek are good, too.

Chances are good you’ll never need/use the cable that came with the car, so spending little-to-zero there is for the best. Don’t waste good money! :)

SeattleYates

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan 4S, PanameraTurbo,993cab,i8/M5/M3/914
Country flag
Hi all,

I am in the process of building (to order) a 2021 Taycan 4S and unlike on MY2020 models, they no longer force you to purchase the Porsche Mobile Charger Connect (PMCC)... as it now comes standard with the more basic Porsche Mobile Charger (PMC). The PMC does not connect to Wifi and charges at 7.2kW instead of 9.6kW...
One possible correction to your info...Check your build specs for "Standard Equipment" (at the very bottom of the screen). For my Taycan Turbo build, it lists: On-board AC-charger with 9.6kW (not 7.2kW).
Sponsored