2021 Configurator: Is Remote Park Assist a worthwhile upgrade over Surround View?

nafzal80

First Name
Nauman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S, Audi Q7
Country flag
I have picked the premium package for my 2022 CT4S. It includes the Surround View option.

Remote Park Assist is a $1600 add on option to the Premium Pkg.

Is it:
  1. A worthwhile upgrade over the Surround View, if so, could you give some insight in to why?
  2. It includes 3D surround view, is that a worthwhile upgrade over the Surround View option?
  3. Is the 3D Surround View feature included with the Remote Park Assist option a hardware upgrade over what is already included with Surround View, or is it only a software upgrade? Meaning is it something that can be purchased as a software upgrade later (like upgrade ACC to Innodrive)?

Much Appreciated, I am going to be locking in my config in soon.
Sponsored

Last edited:

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I have picked the premium package for my 2022 CT4S. It includes the Surround View option.

Is it:
  1. A worthwhile upgrade over the Surround View, if so, could you give some insight in to why?
  2. It includes 3D surround view, is that a worthwhile upgrade over the Surround View option?
  3. Is the 3D Surround View feature included with the Remote Park Assist option a hardware upgrade over what is already included with Surround View, or is it only a software upgrade? Meaning is it something that can be purchased as a software upgrade later (like upgrade ACC to Innodrive)?

I toyed with the idea of adding the RPA but after years with Parking Assist in my M4 I have never once actually used it! I am near positive beyond a gimmick to show friends i.e a one time deal, I'd almost certainly never use RPA either.

I too was interested in 3D view but like another user commented elsewhere another bell or whistle that you likely will rarely avail of - that said, this feature alone has the most potential to be useful but not enough cost-benefit alone as an upgrade over standard all round view already provided imo.

Actually don't know if the 3D view option might be a SW add-on option. Of course all of this is invariably a very personal decision.

I saved on this and on the 19.2 kW to pay for the rear bike carrier and very happy with my choice :)!

Reactions: B61
OP
OP

nafzal80

First Name
Nauman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S, Audi Q7
Country flag
I toyed with the idea of adding the RPA but after years with Parking Assist in my M4 I have never once actually used it! I am near positive beyond a gimmick to show friends i.e a one time deal, I'd almost certainly never use RPA either.

I too was interested in 3D view but like another user commented elsewhere another bell or whistle that you likely will rarely avail of - that said, this feature alone has the most potential to be useful but not enough cost-benefit alone as an upgrade over standard all round view already provided imo.

Actually don't know if the 3D view option might be a SW add-on option. Of course all of this is invariably a very personal decision.

I saved on this and on the 19.2 kW to pay for the rear bike carrier and very happy with my choice :)!
Great advice. I plan on getting the bike carrier as well!!!

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag

Is it:

I don't think it will be available as a software upgrade and will be hardware dependent (additional sensors for example).

Surround view is good enough plus there is the 3D hack which currently works (search the forum for guidance) albeit a bit fiddly to use.

It also appears to bundle Lane Change Assist (in UK you can't add this option without removing Remote Parking) which separately is a £548 option. So quite a lot of 'tech' is incorporated into what is an expensive option.

The full package comprises the following but note that it (apparently) is only for Apple and not Android. Not sure how well it would work in an underground car park (no cell connection for example). A gadget too far I'd say.

- Remote-controlled parking​
Remote-controlled parking allows to enter and leave the parking space via your smartphone. The system automatically detects parking spaces and measures their size. If the parking space is a suitable size, the driver can initiate the parking maneuvers and then get out. At the end of the parking maneuver, the vehicle is automatically switched off and locked.​
With Remote-controlled parking the vehicle can be parked in parallel and perpendicular parking spaces as well as in garages.​
- Active Parking Support​
The system automatically detects parking space. Once the system has signaled that the parking space is a sufficient size, the driver can initiate and control the parking process. The system automatically takes over the steering and the forward and backward movement of the vehicle. The Active Parking Assistance is able to park the vehicle in parallel and perpendicular parking spaces.​
- 3D Surround view​
The 3D display allows the driver to influence the perspective displayed, resulting in a better all-round view.​
- Exit Warning​
The Exit Warning warns of other vehicles approaching from behind when the door is opened. The system uses the LED lighting in the door release leavers in the vehicle interior as a warning.​
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert​
The Rear Cross Traffic Alert uses the rear radar and, where system limitations allow, warns the driver when reversing slowly when the parking aid is activated. The system warns, for example, of critically approaching vehicles when leaving a perpendicular parking space. The information is provided in stages – visually on the PCM touchscreen display, audibly and, if necessary, with a jolt of the brakes.​
- Manoeuvring Assist​
The Manoeuvring Assist can, where system limitations allow, prevent collisions through braking in tight and complex manoeuvring situations when reversing.​
Notes:​
- Only compatible with iPhone 7 and higher with iOS 13 and higher
- The assistance provided by Remote ParkAssist is subject to system limitations. The driver must monitor at all times and intervene in cases of doubt.​

Bella

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan 4 CT, Prius
Country flag
I don't think it will be available as a software upgrade and will be hardware dependent (additional sensors for example).

Surround view is good enough plus there is the 3D hack which currently works (search the forum for guidance) albeit a bit fiddly to use.

It also appears to bundle Lane Change Assist (in UK you can't add this option without removing Remote Parking) which separately is a £548 option. So quite a lot of 'tech' is incorporated into what is an expensive option.

The full package comprises the following but note that it (apparently) is only for Apple and not Android. Not sure how well it would work in an underground car park (no cell connection for example). A gadget too far I'd say.

- Remote-controlled parking​
Remote-controlled parking allows to enter and leave the parking space via your smartphone. The system automatically detects parking spaces and measures their size. If the parking space is a suitable size, the driver can initiate the parking maneuvers and then get out. At the end of the parking maneuver, the vehicle is automatically switched off and locked.​
With Remote-controlled parking the vehicle can be parked in parallel and perpendicular parking spaces as well as in garages.​
- Active Parking Support​
The system automatically detects parking space. Once the system has signaled that the parking space is a sufficient size, the driver can initiate and control the parking process. The system automatically takes over the steering and the forward and backward movement of the vehicle. The Active Parking Assistance is able to park the vehicle in parallel and perpendicular parking spaces.​
- 3D Surround view​
The 3D display allows the driver to influence the perspective displayed, resulting in a better all-round view.​
- Exit Warning​
The Exit Warning warns of other vehicles approaching from behind when the door is opened. The system uses the LED lighting in the door release leavers in the vehicle interior as a warning.​
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert​
The Rear Cross Traffic Alert uses the rear radar and, where system limitations allow, warns the driver when reversing slowly when the parking aid is activated. The system warns, for example, of critically approaching vehicles when leaving a perpendicular parking space. The information is provided in stages – visually on the PCM touchscreen display, audibly and, if necessary, with a jolt of the brakes.​
- Manoeuvring Assist​
The Manoeuvring Assist can, where system limitations allow, prevent collisions through braking in tight and complex manoeuvring situations when reversing.​
Notes:​
- Only compatible with iPhone 7 and higher with iOS 13 and higher
- The assistance provided by Remote ParkAssist is subject to system limitations. The driver must monitor at all times and intervene in cases of doubt.​
With Remote Controlled Parking can it self park your car in the Garage? When it says it must be a suitable size would it work in the following scenario? Garage is 90” wide leaving 5-6 inches on either side with Mirrors folded. I hate to buy it and then the system just tells me that the 5-6“ on either side of the Garage is too narrow. Does anyone have the actual experience of being told that entering their Garage was not “suitable”.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
With Remote Controlled Parking can it self park your car in the Garage? When it says it must be a suitable size would it work in the following scenario? Garage is 90” wide leaving 5-6 inches on either side with Mirrors folded. I hate to buy it and then the system just tells me that the 5-6“ on either side of the Garage is too narrow. Does anyone have the actual experience of being told that entering their Garage was not “suitable”.
I honestly don't know but my guess is that the margins are too tight and therefore would be pointless.

I have a similar garage opening and manage fine with the 360 forward view as I can see either side of the car. Takes some courage but with practice it is fine.

Best suggestion would be to borrow a car that has the feature (won't be until late this year though) or ask your dealer for details and limitations. I would be amazed / impressed if it could do it.

OP
OP

nafzal80

First Name
Nauman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S, Audi Q7
Country flag
same exact situation as me.

sfr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4s MY 2021
Country flag
I took the pack when it didn't include remote parking assist for the 'exit warning' and the 'manoeuvring assist' features.

Following the dimensions of the car and the peripheral visibility I prefer avoid an accident during manoeuvring which will cost more than the option price.
I also took the prerequisites to the pack. Then the price difference wasn't that much.

Mr. Mercedes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
W223 S450, X3M40i
Country flag
I took the pack when it didn't include remote parking assist for the 'exit warning' and the 'manoeuvring assist' features.

Following the dimensions of the car and the peripheral visibility I prefer avoid an accident during manoeuvring which will cost more than the option price.
I also took the prerequisites to the pack. Then the price difference wasn't that much.
Are there images available comparing the standard Surround View vs. the optional 3D View?

rich_r

First Name
RIch
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover sport
Country flag
My Range Rover has that rear cross traffic alert feature and I find it quite useful. Kind of surprised Porsche doesn’t make that standard

OP
OP

nafzal80

First Name
Nauman
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
911 C4S, Audi Q7
Country flag
Don't you think this is a rather expensive option. Here in Europe this cost € 515,- for preparation and a € 1.871,- for the bike carrier a total of € 2.386,- ($ 2.674,-).
the ct’s in the US come included with the prep (so we can’t not have it prepped).

bah1590

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4
Country flag
This issue I have with this system is the amount of time it takes to park. Most of the time you have people waiting for you to park and they get annoyed waiting for you to get through the complete process. Also I was always nervous the system would glitch and you would hit a nearby car.

mdrobc1213

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW M4, Taycan CT4, 992 Carrera,
Country flag
Sorry for me just old school...will park the car myself as I have for 30+ yrs of driving. Also don;t normally like parking any of my vehicles in spaces so tight I cannot even open the door to get out so that part is wasted on me also! Just wouldn't have my car especially my new $100k+ Taycan CT4 parked that close to anyone!

On the flip side my friend has a Tesla and loves bringing his car to him and moving it forward out of parking spaces so he can just open the door and hop in. Gimmic to me... but to each his own! ;)
Sponsored