2021+ owners - how consistently has EA Plug & Charge been working for you?

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
Just curious what the collective owners of MY 2021 and newer cars experience has been with the direct Plug and Charge feature with the EA network for DC fast chargers, especially taking advantage of these free 3 years charging sessions. For those who don't understand what I'm talking about, Plug and Charge is the feature (not found in 2020 models) that you simply plug the DC fast charger into the car, wait 10-20 sec and the charger directly communicates with the car and starts your free 30 min charging session without need for app based activation.

Also curious for owners in Europe if:
Your vehicles come with 3 years free DC fast charging with whatever local networks you have available and if direct Plug and Charge feature works for you as well.

I'm currently finding 80-90% success rate with my local metropolitan area EA chargers (Southern California) but I hear this reliability grows increasingly sketchy with chargers further out from major urban centers. For example in this same bank of chargers near my work, Plug & Charge worked on the station on the R side of my car, but not the one on my L 🤔

Porsche Taycan 2021+ owners - how consistently has EA Plug & Charge been working for you? PSX_20220706_063546_1
Sponsored

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
Quite a few threads discuss this but FWIW my experience to date is 100% success 8 months in and includes EA stations across TX (Houston, Katy, Alleyton, San Antonio & Austin). Two stations had one and 2 units down respectfully but all others operating at time of my visits. Approx 15+ total charging visits.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
100% connection rate in my old '21 sedan, and 100% connection rate in my new CT4s. That includes driving the car home 600 miles the day after picking it up at the dealership.

We are talking about Electrify America, so I feel pretty lucky about my success rate with both my Taycans.

I am about to pick up a new BMW iX, and that has a promo code you put into the app to initiate the free 30 minutes of charging, so I am curious to see how that process works.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
100% success rate all the way to CA and back.

Note that only the passenger side works, plug-and-charge is limited to DC charging only.

Old man

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 cross Turismo 2022 VWSportwagen TDI 20
Country flag
Had been 0 but since end of April 2/3 in Maine

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
100% success rate all the way to CA and back.

Note that only the passenger side works, plug-and-charge is limited to DC charging only.
Thanks but I think you misread my post, I didn't try to plug a CCS charger into the driver side outlet (because it doesn't fit obviously) if that's what you assumed. I had the car turned around and had the L CCS fast charger on the L of the photo plugged into my passenger side outlet originally. When the Plug & Charge didn't work I moved the car, turned it around and plugged my car into the CCS charger on the R of the photo, which did work.

Hope that clarifies my story.

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
It has worked one time out of maybe 20 EA DC Fast Charging sessions using various stations in North and South Carolina.

Last edited:

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
Thanks but I think you misread my post, I didn't try to plug a CCS charger into the driver side outlet (because it doesn't fit obviously) if that's what you assumed. I had the car turned around and had the L CCS fast charger on the L of the photo plugged into my passenger side outlet originally. When the Plug & Charge didn't work I moved the car, turned it around and plugged my car into the CCS charger on the R of the photo, which did work.

Hope that clarifies my story.
Sorry for my lack of reading comprehension. :)

I'm really curious what the variable is between PNC working and failing.
On my trip to CA I had 29 EA charging sessions between Dallas and NorCal, and all worked.

I specifically tracked plug-and-charge success as a metric, because I expected a few failures based on anecdotal comments here.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
I've had success four out of five times (80%) in the four weeks since I took delivery of my 2022 RWD. The failure occurred in Kingman AZ as I was driving to Las Vegas from my home in the Phoenix AZ area.

After getting charging errors on two 350 kW and two 150kW chargers, I called EA and was on the phone with Sherry for 43 minutes. We ensured Plug and Charge was checked in my PCM and in my MyPorsche app (
Account > Charging Service > Service Status). She reset the charger to give me a free session, and I still got the same charging error as before.

I pulled out my phone, signed out of the My Porsche app (
Account > My Profile > (scroll to bottom) Log out), waited a couple minutes, and was able to charge successfully. I never logged back into the app until I got home.

Sherry was patient and helpful all along, and as we said goodbye I said I hope the rest of your phone calls today are not as difficult as this one was!

Schn3ll

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2018 Panamera e-hybrid, 2018 Carrera T, 2012 Volt
Country flag
It's been successful for me as well, I just battle with the fact that the chargers near me tend to not want to work (1 charger looks like it should but refuses to charge) and the handshake can take about 60 seconds for it to begin the charge.

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's been successful for me as well, I just battle with the fact that the chargers near me tend to not want to work (1 charger looks like it should but refuses to charge) and the handshake can take about 60 seconds for it to begin the charge.
When I started using EA Plug N Charge late last year when I got my car, the handshakes seemed to take up to 60 sec but lately they seemed to happen in under 30 sec now. Maybe just improved communication speeds between charger and local network.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've had success four out of five times (80%) in the four weeks since I took delivery of my 2022 RWD. The failure occurred in Kingman AZ as I was driving to Las Vegas from my home in the Phoenix AZ area.
That one was Smith's fuel center right?

I used 110050-03 on 6/19 and 6/25 with success.

I did note that charger was a little sketchy at night with people sleeping on the ground next to the chargers.

TXAG

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan RWD
Country flag
That one was Smith's fuel center right?

I used 110050-03 on 6/19 and 6/25 with success.

I did note that charger was a little sketchy at night with people sleeping on the ground next to the chargers.
Yep, that's the one. I was there in the morning for both visits. Finally had success with 02 on the outbound and instant success with 03 on the return. The vandwellers were walking around but weren't threatening. I even briefly chatted with one -- he just wanted to look at my car.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
The vandwellers were walking around but weren't threatening. I even briefly chatted with one -- he just wanted to look at my car.
They didn't give me trouble either, they kept to themselves.
I did feel bad that I woke them as I was charging after midnight.
Sponsored