2021+ owners - how consistently has EA Plug & Charge been working for you?

makados

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 BMW X5 45e, 2022 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
100% working for me in the San Jose area (I've tried 5 different locations overtime). But with a condition - I'm the only one charting on the charging stall.

I've noticed that if a charger is already being used, another charger on the same stall won't work. I don't know if it's my bad luck, or it's designed that way.
Sponsored

tedshuck

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4 CT
Country flag
I have had 100% success in the Denver area with 3 different charger locations. On a trip to Basalt last month, I was successful on the first try at the EA stations in Frisco and Edwards, Colorado. I had a problem at the EA charger in Glenwood Springs. I moved to the next charger and it worked fine. A few minutes later a guy in a Rivian pickup truck arrived and tried charging at the plug that I could not get to work. He called EA and spent about 10 minutes on the phone. He said that he reported the charger was not working and they restarted the charger. He then charged his truck without a problem.
I got the impression that the EA chargers are somewhat buggy and sometimes need to be restarted.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've noticed that if a charger is already being used, another charger on the same stall won't work. I don't know if it's my bad luck, or it's designed that way.
Same stall or same dispenser?

Dispensers are limited to one at a time, despite having two cables.

X-ray

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Tesla Model Y LR, Mercedes GLS580
Country flag
I am 2 for 3 at the same EA charger in Columbus Ohio. One of the two stalls is probably not working and I got a charging error when I plugged in even though the app says the charger should be working. I moved chargers and things worked fine. When I came back, I used the same charger I had initial success with and it worked as it should.

X

makados

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 BMW X5 45e, 2022 Porsche Taycan 4S
Country flag
Same stall or same dispenser?

Dispensers are limited to one at a time, despite having two cables.
Probably a dispenser then (I didn't know there is a difference between those 2 terms :) ). But, basically, I'm talking about a white tower with a screen and 2 charging cables. Looks like only 1 of those charging cables can charge at a time. If that's by design, one would ask - why 2 cables?

fgwinn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY22 FBM CT4 (sold), MY23 EQS 450 4Matic SUV
Country flag
I have used EA chargers about 20 times in NJ, PA, OH, and NY. Plug and charge worked about 10% of the time. The My Porsche app works okay but I don't find it very intuitive.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
I guess I consider "stall" as the parking spot and "dispenser/pump" as the tower with the hoses.

As for why two cables, I'll let Electrocute America explain it:

Porsche Taycan 2021+ owners - how consistently has EA Plug & Charge been working for you? 392308

OP
OP
Kayone73

Kayone73

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan CT4S, Kia Telluride EX, Tesla Model Y
Country flag
100% working for me in the San Jose area (I've tried 5 different locations overtime). But with a condition - I'm the only one charting on the charging stall.

That's an interesting observation and something I'm going to look out for in the future 🤔

RBGtaycan

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia EV6; Taycan RWD....Past: 356, Cayman S
Country flag
I would have said 100% success (in a year and a half) BUT, recently, an (older) EA charger refused to do plug and charge..EA pointed me at the My Porsche app and that DID work (but, as others have noted, it sure ain't intuitive!)..btw, EA customer service continues to amaze me: fast pickup and very friendly. As an aside, the Porsche navigation had this charger (kinda!)..but could not get me there (took me to a ball field..)..luckily I knew it was a Target store and used alternative ways to find it

sboggsisu

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Base
Country flag
I would have said 100% success (in a year and a half) BUT, recently, an (older) EA charger refused to do plug and charge..EA pointed me at the My Porsche app and that DID work (but, as others have noted, it sure ain't intuitive!)..btw, EA customer service continues to amaze me: fast pickup and very friendly. As an aside, the Porsche navigation had this charger (kinda!)..but could not get me there (took me to a ball field..)..luckily I knew it was a Target store and used alternative ways to find it
Same here - for my first year of ownership PNC worked well. Then after my 1 year was up (mid-May) it started to not work. At first I thought it was because I renewed my contract and that created an issue but both EA and Porsche both told me it seemed to be active. Porsche told me it was a 'known issue' and I should just use the Porsche app to start charging. So I've used that for the past few months with no issues. Not even going to try PNC until the issue is fixed.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Since porsche finally corrected the software conflict that some of us were having charging has been more reliable, PNC works most of the time and when it doesn't the EA app has gotten it going.
the big issue people may encounter are on the EA side of the charging, inoperable chargers and very slow chargers are a constant issue.

QueenBean

First Name
Jill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Polestar 2, Rubicon 4xe, F-Pace
Country flag
Seems like those of us on the East Coast (ME, NJ, NY, NC, SC) are having less success based on the super small sample of EA users replying here.

Artman

First Name
Art
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
100% in MD, so far…

glacius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS
Country flag
I've just completed a 2,600 mile road trip. I used approximately 15 EA stations. It was rare that I would have a perfect experience: at least one charger was out at about 10 of the stations (this did not always affect me, because I spotted it before pulling it, so opted for the functional chargers). Here are the issues I encountered:

- Broken chargers. At one of my locations only 1 out of 4 were working. Usually it was visually apparent that the charger was out of service. On one or two occasions I only discovered this after plugging in
- Receiving a "charging error" message mid-charge. This was a little frustrating, considering I would routinely go into a Walmart to shop and use the restroom, thus I was far from the vehicle
- My EA account not being recognized. This happened once. Moving to another charger solved this issue
- Low speed (about 60kW) from the beginning. Therefore, I reconnected
- Sometimes the charging cord seemed very tight. On one occasion I had to park sideways, thus occupying two bays (thankfully the adjacent charger was out of service anyway) in order to have access to the charger

I was able to get to my desired level of charge at all 15 stations, but it was far, far from seamless. Having to constantly get in and out of the vehicle, in order to move to different chargers, was cumbersome in 100F heat.

Based upon these experiences I have concluded that EVs (at least Taycans) are not ready for prime time. I am delighted with mine, and I've adapted my mindset to expect challenges at each station. I would not want to do it with children in my care.

ciaranob

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S 2022 Mini Cooper S 2024 Electric in 2025/6
Country flag
I've just completed a 2,600 mile road trip. I used approximately 15 EA stations. It was rare that I would have a perfect experience: at least one charger was out at about 10 of the stations (this did not always affect me, because I spotted it before pulling it, so opted for the functional chargers). Here are the issues I encountered:

- Broken chargers. At one of my locations only 1 out of 4 were working. Usually it was visually apparent that the charger was out of service. On one or two occasions I only discovered this after plugging in
- Receiving a "charging error" message mid-charge. This was a little frustrating, considering I would routinely go into a Walmart to shop and use the restroom, thus I was far from the vehicle
- My EA account not being recognized. This happened once. Moving to another charger solved this issue
- Low speed (about 60kW) from the beginning. Therefore, I reconnected
- Sometimes the charging cord seemed very tight. On one occasion I had to park sideways, thus occupying two bays (thankfully the adjacent charger was out of service anyway) in order to have access to the charger

I was able to get to my desired level of charge at all 15 stations, but it was far, far from seamless. Having to constantly get in and out of the vehicle, in order to move to different chargers, was cumbersome in 100F heat.

Based upon these experiences I have concluded that EVs (at least Taycans) are not ready for prime time. I am delighted with mine, and I've adapted my mindset to expect challenges at each station. I would not want to do it with children in my care.
Can you provide a general geographic location? - good to compare with other observations.
Sponsored