MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Here’s Porsche’s official 2021 Taycan announcement listing new features:

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...unctions-on-demand-head-up-display-21882.html

Very interested to read more and understand how many of the software-only features are going to be available to 2020 MY cars as either OTA FoDs already announced or as part of a larger system upgrade requiring dealer install.

Faster sprints and more convenient charging

08/19/2020

The model year changeover in October will bring about numerous new features for the Porsche Taycan. The new Plug & Charge function enables convenient charging and payments without the need for cards or an app: insert the charging cable and the Taycan establishes encrypted communication with the Plug & Charge-compatible charging station. As a result, the charging process starts automatically. Payments are also processed automatically.

Porsche Taycan 2021 Taycan Changes & New Features — Official Announcement b-Taycan_2021_2

Additional innovations include vehicle functions that can be flexibly booked online (Functions on Demand, FoD), a head-up display in colour and an on-board charger with a charging capacity of up to 22 kW. In future, the adaptive air suspension will feature a Smartlift function.

The acceleration values of the Taycan Turbo S (Taycan Turbo S: Electricity consumption combined 26.9 kWh/100 km; CO2 emissions combined 0 g/km (as of 08/2020)) have also been improved. With Launch Control, it now sprints from zero to 200 km/h in 9.6 seconds, thus undercutting the previous time by 0.2 seconds. It covers the quarter-mile in 10.7 seconds (previously 10.8 seconds). As before, the Taycan proves its performance capability multiple times in succession without any drop in performance, which is typical of a sports car.

Intuitive display system and intelligent chassis
A head-up display in colour is now optionally available. This projects relevant information directly into the driver’s field of vision. The display has been divided into the main display section, status section and a section to show temporary content, such as calls or voice control commands. A navigation display, power meter and a user-defined view can also be selected as pre-sets.

Thanks to the new Smartlift function, installed as standard in conjunction with adaptive air suspension, the Taycan can be programmed so that it is automatically raised in certain, recurring sections, for instance at speed bumps or on garage driveways. The Smartlift function can also actively influence the vehicle’s driving height on motorway journeys by adjusting the vehicle’s level to the best possible compromise between efficiency and driving comfort.

An on-board AC charger delivering 22 kW is now also available as new optional equipment. With this unit, the battery charges in around half the time it takes the standard 11-kW charger with alternating current. This option will be available at the end of this year.

Flexible upgrades after purchase with Functions on Demand (FoD)
Thanks to FoD, Taycan drivers can purchase various convenience and assist functions as required. What makes this approach special is that it also works after having made the purchase and for the sports car’s original configuration. Thanks to online, over-the-air updates it is not necessary to visit a workshop. The Porsche Intelligent Range Manager (PIRM) is already available as an FoD. Power Steering Plus, Active Lane Keep Assist and Porsche InnoDrive will now be added as further FoD functions.

Porsche Taycan 2021 Taycan Changes & New Features — Official Announcement b-Taycan_2021_4
Active Lane Keep Assist keeps the vehicle in the centre of the lane with continuous steering intervention – also in congested traffic

Customers can choose whether they want to purchase the respective function for their Taycan or subscribe on a monthly basis. Customers benefit from three test months if they opt for a monthly subscription. After having registered, selected the desired function(s) in the Porsche Connect Store and, providing a connection can be established, the Porsche backend sends a data package to the Taycan via the mobile phone network. Drivers are notified of the availability of such a data package by the Porsche Communication Management (PCM). Activation then takes a few minutes. A notice appears on the central display after successful activation. With the model year changeover four functions can be purchased and three are available as monthly subscriptions.

Active Lane Keep Assist keeps the vehicle in the centre of the lane with continuous steering intervention – also in congested traffic. InnoDrive individually adapts the speed to the conditions ahead, such as speed limits, bends, roundabouts, situations where you have to give way or stop, all in typical sports car fashion. Both functions are available for a fee of 19.50 euro per month or 808.10 euro each as a purchase option.

Porsche Taycan 2021 Taycan Changes & New Features — Official Announcement b-Taycan_2021_3
InnoDrive individually adapts the speed to the conditions ahead, such as speed limits, bends, roundabouts, situations where you have to give way or stop, all in typical sports car fashion

With active route guidance, Porsche Intelligent Range Manager (PIRM) operates in the background, optimising all system parameters to achieve the highest levels of comfort and shortest travelling time. This feature costs 10.72 euro a month or is available at a one-off fee of 398.69 euro.

Power Steering Plus operates on the basis of the vehicle’s speed. It reacts directly and accurately at high speeds and provides stronger steering support at lower speeds. This Function on Demand is available at a one-off fee of 320.71 euro. It is not available as a monthly option. All prices are recommended retail prices for Germany including 16 percent VAT.

Porsche Taycan 2021 Taycan Changes & New Features — Official Announcement b-Taycan_2021_1
Power Steering Plus operates on the basis of the vehicle’s speed. It reacts directly and accurately at high speeds and provides stronger steering support at lower speeds

Even more convenient charging
Charging while preserving the battery is a further new function. It can restrict the charging capacity at suitable charging points (e.g. Ionity high-power charging stations) to around 200 kW, when customers are planning to take a longer break from driving.

This extends the battery’s service life and reduces the overall power loss. Drivers can select the charging while preserving the battery function on the central display. Of course, if customers choose not to use this option, a charging capacity of up to 270 kW remains available at 800-volt high-power charging stations.

Additional, new, intelligent charging functions are available in conjunction with Mobile Charger Connect and Home Energy Manager. These include the power guard function, which is now capable of preventing an overload of the domestic connection, regardless of the phase, as well as optimised charging with energy produced domestically. Use this function to charge the Taycan using solar energy generated domestically as part of a targeted process. Once the freely configurable, minimum battery charge level has been reached, the system consumes only solar energy that is not used by the building.

Plug & Charge simplifies charging: Taycan drivers merely have to plug in the charging cable and charging is underway. Authentication data is saved in the vehicle. As a result, the charging station automatically identifies the connected vehicle. ISO standard 15118 ensures that the communication between infrastructure and the vehicle is tamper-proof. Payments are also processed automatically. Plug & Charge is already operational at Ionity charging stations in Germany, Norway, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Italy and the Czech Republic. Twelve more European countries will follow at the start of 2021. In the US and Canada, Plug & Charge will also be available from Electrify America and Electrify Canada at many charging points as of the start of 2021.

Porsche Taycan 2021 Taycan Changes & New Features — Official Announcement b-Taycan_2021_6
The Taycan establishes an encrypted communication link to Plug & Charge-compatible charging stations as soon as the charging cable has been connected, starting the charging process automatically

Greater choice of colours
The 2021 model year offers a selection of seven new exterior paintwork colours: Mahogany Metallic, Frozenberry Metallic, Cherry Metallic, Coffee Beige Metallic, Chalk, Neptune Blue and Ice Grey Metallic.

The Carbon Sport Design package is available for all Taycan versions. It includes elements such as carbon-fibre inserts in the bottom of the front section and in the side sill trims, as well as carbon-fibre fins on the rear diffuser.

Digital Radio now as standard. Digitally broadcast radio stations in DAB, DAB+ and DMB audio formats offer significantly better sound quality. Porsche has also enhanced the standard equipment in terms of connectivity. Apple® podcasts can now be selected as an individual media source.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
A lot of the sw related functions, such as charging and the Functions on Demand, should really be available to all 2020 cars as well. If not I think Porsche have lost the game in Connected cars.

Cpoarchy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 911, taycan 4s
Country flag

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Here’s Porsche’s official 2021 Taycan announcement listing new features:

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...unctions-on-demand-head-up-display-21882.html

Very interested to read more and understand how many of the software-only features are going to be available to 2020 MY cars as either OTA FoDs already announced or as part of a larger system upgrade requiring dealer install.
Porsche actually states that charging above 200 kW is not great for battery life:

"Charging while preserving the battery is a further new function. It can restrict the charging capacity at suitable charging points (e.g. Ionity high-power charging stations) to around 200 kW, when customers are planning to take a longer break from driving.
This extends the battery’s service life and reduces the overall power loss. Drivers can select the charging while preserving the battery function on the central display. Of course, if customers choose not to use this option, a charging capacity of up to 270 kW remains available at 800-volt high-power charging stations."

Jdqt458

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Coupe
Country flag
Porsche actually states that charging above 200 kW is not great for battery life:

"Charging while preserving the battery is a further new function. It can restrict the charging capacity at suitable charging points (e.g. Ionity high-power charging stations) to around 200 kW, when customers are planning to take a longer break from driving.
This extends the battery’s service life and reduces the overall power loss. Drivers can select the charging while preserving the battery function on the central display. Of course, if customers choose not to use this option, a charging capacity of up to 270 kW remains available at 800-volt high-power charging stations."

Heated Front Seats now appear as standard ( FOC )
With front and rear combined as option.

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
A lot of the sw related functions, such as charging and the Functions on Demand, should really be available to all 2020 cars as well. If not I think Porsche have lost the game in Connected cars.
Does anyone know if you must have Adaptive Cruise to get the FoD for Innodrive?

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
As a matter of fact, all of the extras minus the ones that need additional hardware should be available for everyone who has the right hardware.

For example, my Taycan is awfully low for where I live in and I have to constantly raise it up. If I don't get the self raise feature, I might end up feeling screwed by Porsche.

paladin732

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Lucid
Country flag
Does Porsche have an official communication channel to ask to confirm that the software features WILL come to the 2020 (with wireless carplay we are still waiting on)

Duc959

First Name
FR
Threads
Reaction score
Website
share.octopus.energy
Vehicles
RR Vogue Autobiography, Ducati Panigale V2
Country flag
I don't see the 22Kw, exterior carbon options on the UK configurator.

esortho

First Name
Soren
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Since you already can buy Porsche Intelligent Range Manager (PIRM) via Connect, at least the necessary software to handle purchases and downloads is in place in the 2020 models. Power Steering and Smartlift sounds like pure software as well.

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
They sound like a software update, but there’s NO WORD we’d actually get them on 2020 model. Which sounds to me we actually ain’t.

T-Fury

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 Taycan CT4, 23 911T, 24 Rivian R1S, 71 BMW 2002
Country flag
They sound like a software update, but there’s NO WORD we’d actually get them on 2020 model. Which sounds to me we actually ain’t.
I hope that some of these features will be available for the 2020 models, but I’m a little skeptical in general when it comes to software changes and the Volkswagen Automotive Group. I think they’re still mainly of the philosophy that the car you buy is the car you get and if you want new features you need to come in to the showroom and buy a whole new car! For instance, we have a 2019 Audi e-Tron and in the new 2021 version they’re opening up the battery capacity on the high end a bit, which seems like a software thing but this doesn’t sound like it will be available for the older e-Trons. Maybe Porsche will blaze the way for the VAG in terms of updates—at least I hope so!

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
As someone who still hasn’t taken delivery of my 2020, I am feeling pretty torn about whether I should. If the SW features don’t at least appear as FoD features for my 2020, I will fee royally screwed after waiting so long. if I had gotten to enjoy driving the car before they announced the 2020 features it might be different, but delivery is still six weeks away for me...

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
As someone who still hasn’t taken delivery of my 2020, I am feeling pretty torn about whether I should. If the SW features don’t at least appear as FoD features for my 2020, I will fee royally screwed after waiting so long. if I had gotten to enjoy driving the car before they announced the 2020 features it might be different, but delivery is still six weeks away for me...
I feel sorry for you if it will not be available. I really hope it will be a sw update OTA, as some of the features like Intelligent Range Manager is already available, although completely useless and not worth a penny. The press release also referred to availability of the connect and charge being available in a number of countries already. So maybe.

But I also agree with others that this still is a brand with the old school mindset. New Year New cars. Get to the showroom. I do not understand why such a press release else needs to be combined with the new model year??

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
If you didn't spec the options initially, why are you worried about whether you can add them later? Lane Keep is terrible in Porsche's iteration and there are plenty of complaints about Innodrive.

I believe "Plug & Charge" is more a charger tech than our cars and I'd be surprised if it didn't apply to MY20 Taycans. In fact, my last 3 super charger visits have immediately started a free EA charge (without touching anything, app or charger, just plugging in) and I believe it's because I had trouble with my Charging NA app and EA flagged my vehicle for free charging sessions. I could be mistaken, however.

As for the "limit charging to 200 kw or less" the chargers already do a bang-up job of that. :CWL:

Nothing here is worth fretting over if you have a MY21 car, unless you really like one of the new colors. Just my opinion.
Sponsored