Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
A lot of the sw related functions, such as charging and the Functions on Demand, should really be available to all 2020 cars as well. If not I think Porsche have lost the game in Connected cars.
I don’t know about losing the game in connected cars, but they will lose me and probably many other customers.

When I ordered the car, I was assured that all new software related functions and improvements would be available also to us early adopters. If that turns out to be a lie I’m done with Porsche. I have bought 3 new Porsche cars over the last 6 years and have become increasingly annoyed over how they operate.
Sponsored

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Tesla Model S, BMW i3
Country flag
Charging while preserving the battery is a further new function. It can restrict the charging capacity at suitable charging points (e.g. Ionity high-power charging stations) to around 200 kW, when customers are planning to take a longer break from driving.
I wonder if this is why all the 350kW chargers in MA (and perhaps other states as well) are disabled?

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I wonder if this is why all the 350kW chargers in MA (and perhaps other states as well) are disabled?
Note that I just checked with Electrify America.

A bunch of 350kW chargers (Auburn, Providence, Seabrook) are showing up as 50kW chargers in the app, but are actually 350kW chargers.

While there are a lot of down chargers right now (more upgrades? don't know...), there definitely are 350kW chargers available. Some are even listed properly (Scarborough, ME - you got lucky, @louv )...

OP
OP
MissionC

MissionC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
Note that I just checked with Electrify America.

A bunch of 350kW chargers (Auburn, Providence, Seabrook) are showing up as 50kW chargers in the app, but are actually 350kW chargers.

While there are a lot of down chargers right now (more upgrades? don't know...), there definitely are 350kW chargers available. Some are even listed properly (Scarborough, ME - you got lucky, @louv )...
So it’s an app/data issue and things are good IRL? I’m taking a bit of a trip this weekend, so that’s good to know.

dnanian

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
So it’s an app/data issue and things are good IRL? I’m taking a bit of a trip this weekend, so that’s good to know.
Check with EA first: they can check at their end. The up/down indications are right, but the capabilities are often wrong.

ron_b

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S
Country flag
I was checking with my North American Porsche contact and he stated that the charge limit feature would likely be updated via software onto the 2020 models.
Charging while preserving the battery
is a further new function. It can restrict the charging capacity at suitable charging points (e.g. Ionity high-power charging stations) to around 200 kW, when customers are planning to take a longer break from driving.
I know several folks were making fun of the feature as being already available in current vehicles in earlier posts, but I think if you are truly on a road trip and have the battery preconditioned and go to an appropriate charger that is functioning and have a state of charge around 10% or less then it will likely draw will over 200 KW normally.

I was also asking about the automatic lift based on GPS location, and that was not clear that they would bring that over although I would hope so. I'm also cautiously optimistic that the plug in and charge option may be available for us as well thinking that that has been in the works for quite a while and I hope the electronics is there to support it in the 2020 models.

porsche_coyote

First Name
Wiley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW ID.4 AWD Pro S, BMW i3
Country flag
I was checking with my North American Porsche contact and he stated that the charge limit feature would likely be updated via software onto the 2020 models.

I know several folks were making fun of the feature as being already available in current vehicles in earlier posts, but I think if you are truly on a road trip and have the battery preconditioned and go to an appropriate charger that is functioning and have a state of charge around 10% or less then it will likely draw will over 200 KW normally.

I was also asking about the automatic lift based on GPS location, and that was not clear that they would bring that over although I would hope so. I'm also cautiously optimistic that the plug in and charge option may be available for us as well thinking that that has been in the works for quite a while and I hope the electronics is there to support it in the 2020 models.
FWIW I have asked PCNA but haven't heard any answer. I specifically asked about the availability of three things for 2020 cars, either as FoD or a free update:
- Plug & Charge
- Smartlift
- Battery preservation

I will post back here if I ever get an answer.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
Yah I think feye is the only guy I have heard of that has experienced over the air updates and is against them on a general bases. Yes sometimes Tesla does come up with odd or unwanted updates but this is more the anomaly than the norm. I love over the air updates and I sincerely hope Porsche understands the concept and will do the right type of updates and/or payed software add-ons...... specially for us MY2020 trailblazers! :)
You must not know any 75D owners who had their range crippled, or any owners who had their charging massively throttled because they "used SuperCharging too much." Tesla's OTA updates have been highly controversial in the US over the past six months or so.

Hearing some of their screams certainly made me re-think the OTA model in terms of what level of control the manufacturer can exert over a very expensive asset that you purchased. This could be the beginning of a very different model of car ownership (car payment late? Car disabled!).

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
You must not know any 75D owners who had their range crippled, or any owners who had their charging massively throttled because they "used SuperCharging too much." Tesla's OTA updates have been highly controversial in the US over the past six months or so.

Hearing some of their screams certainly made me re-think the OTA model in terms of what level of control the manufacturer can exert over a very expensive asset that you purchased. This could be the beginning of a very different model of car ownership (car payment late? Car disabled!).
Yes! I mean I am at the point, where I wish I could get back the software from when I purchased the car over 4 years ago, and then rip out the SIM and WIFI module. Make sure I never get another buggy crippling OTA update!

tnikolov

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
FWIW I have asked PCNA but haven't heard any answer. I specifically asked about the availability of three things for 2020 cars, either as FoD or a free update:
- Plug & Charge
- Smartlift
- Battery preservation

I will post back here if I ever get an answer.
Would love to know about the smartlift. Also there seems to be an hp upgrade in the MY21 (shorter 0-62 times and 1/4 mile) which don't seem to be a motor or a battery thing. Would love to get that update as well. Don't care about much of the other things.

rquinton

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911, Porsche Taycan 4S (March 2021 arrival date PECATL), 2021 Porsche Cayenne GTS
Country flag
Would love to know about the smartlift. Also there seems to be an hp upgrade in the MY21 (shorter 0-62 times and 1/4 mile) which don't seem to be a motor or a battery thing. Would love to get that update as well. Don't care about much of the other things.
I reached out to Porsche NA to get an update on what is required to get Smartlift on your vehicle and the rep said since Adaptive Air Suspension is standard on US builds, Smartlift will be included. Can't tell you if it will be a software upgrade on 2020 models. It will learn from your driving habits and raise and lower based on GPS.

wemct

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 Cayenne S Coupe; '22 AMG SL55; Taycan 4S(sold)
Country flag
I hope the GPS for smart lift works better than the GPS memory for Homelink. It worked the first time and that was it.

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Checked out the Cheeta vs 2020 Turbo S in the 1/4 mile, and the Turbo S clocked a 10.3. I'll be very surprised if the 2021 can beat that - but hey, if there is a software change for better launch, then it probably will. If Porsche is consistent with their conservative numbers, then we should be seeing '21's get close to the 9's. Hopefully that will be an available upgrade.
Sponsored