Zillion27

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7
Country flag
Thank you for gathering these in 1 place. Just went through all the reviews and it is unanimous that handling and feel of the base version are at least just as good as any of the Taycan trims. Literally (other than people living in snow) the only reason for the 25k USD extra of a 4S is for launch control sensations and really if that is what you want you need to go above 200k for a turbo S. My choice is made Taycan RWD is the winner of the Taycan range. I was so so close to locking in a 4S. Timing could not have been better.

Zillion27

First Name
Julian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A7
Country flag
That Top Gear one is incredible:
“I’ve driven the slowest Taycan and the fastest one and you know what? I prefer this one to the Turbo S. »

PanameraFrank

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
FWIW. I think the RWD base is a really nice option to save money if you don't need AWD.. but you're losing a LOT of oomph from the 4S & you'll have worse range, plus no AWD. Going from 3.4 0-60 to something in the high 4s, maybe not even breaking 5, is a lot slower.

It's a great budget option but you do get a lot for your money moving up to a 4S. 1+ second 0-60, I'd wager around 7-15% range, and AWD. You get less for your money the further up the chain you go, but those three things are easily worth $15-20k to me.

I've maintained the Turbo S is too fast but the 4S & Turbo hit the sweet spot of the Taycan range.

Last edited:

Tay Tay

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Loving him is like driving a new Maserati down a dead-end street
Country flag
That Top Gear one is incredible:
“I’ve driven the slowest Taycan and the fastest one and you know what? I prefer this one to the Turbo S. »
I don't know if I can trust that review. They also said

Officially, Porsche rates the car good for 321bhp, but it ‘overboosts’ to 402bhp when you flatten the throttle, and realistically you’re never going to be gunning the thing for long enough to feel the urgency drop off.​

But pretty sure the overboost only happens on launch control. I wish it was on demand whenever you "flattened the throttle". I used to think there was some technical reason behind that but I suspect it's only on launch control for marketing reasons (to make it equivalent to ICE vehicles launching at high rpms).

Also I'm tired of reviewers who are too hyperbolic. E.g.

The steering, now uncorrupted by any torque flowing through the front axle, is standout – if I was blindfolded and a flat-six backing track was played though the hi-fi I’d have sworn it was a rear-drive 911 Carrera.​

I love my Taycan but there's no way you can't tell the difference through any slalom-like maneuver by how quickly the car turns in.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
There is hype and then there is Porsche hype fuelled by over excited journalists fresh from their latest beano in some exotic climb (mind you that must be difficult given the ongoing pandemic restrictions).

No doubt the base Taycan is a great car (as they all are) but high time Porsche came clean on their claimed range figures as the folks purchasing this car will quickly feel duped when they realise the reality is somewhat different and falls way short of true life.

Reads like no one actually drove the "basic" car either and so the cost differential between the Taycan and Taycan 4S narrows further to make it a near marginal decision edging towards the added safety blanket that 4WD delivers.

Didn't something like this happen with the base Cayenne, Macan and Panamera not so long ago?

Don't get me wrong, I love the brand but when it comes to EV hyping I am less euphoric.

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
Thank you for gathering these in 1 place. Just went through all the reviews and it is unanimous that handling and feel of the base version are at least just as good as any of the Taycan trims. Literally (other than people living in snow) the only reason for the 25k USD extra of a 4S is for launch control sensations and really if that is what you want you need to go above 200k for a turbo S. My choice is made Taycan RWD is the winner of the Taycan range. I was so so close to locking in a 4S. Timing could not have been better.
Totally agree and particularly true for your location!

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
There's no such thing as "too much horsepower"...
There IS a limitation in what people can or want to spend, c'mon, just be real.
Still a great looking car nevertheless. :)

Last edited:

Tazer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, Turbo GT, Aventador SVJ, 812 Superfast
Country flag
I don't know if I can trust that review. They also said

Officially, Porsche rates the car good for 321bhp, but it ‘overboosts’ to 402bhp when you flatten the throttle, and realistically you’re never going to be gunning the thing for long enough to feel the urgency drop off.​

But pretty sure the overboost only happens on launch control. I wish it was on demand whenever you "flattened the throttle". I used to think there was some technical reason behind that but I suspect it's only on launch control for marketing reasons (to make it equivalent to ICE vehicles launching at high rpms).

Also I'm tired of reviewers who are too hyperbolic. E.g.

The steering, now uncorrupted by any torque flowing through the front axle, is standout – if I was blindfolded and a flat-six backing track was played though the hi-fi I’d have sworn it was a rear-drive 911 Carrera.​

I love my Taycan but there's no way you can't tell the difference through any slalom-like maneuver by how quickly the car turns in.
Yeah, this reviewer was just talking for talkings sake.

schwar

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo MY21
Country flag
I think it all depends on what you want from a car - I'm sure the RWD is very worthy, but reviewers drive exciting different cars every day and are not just "stuck" with one. Having said that, many people here seem to have many cars too. :D

The new RWD Taycan doesn't do it for me as it takes a thrilling car and sanitises it. This is a Porsche in look and feel, but not in performance DNA. I want my first Porsche (and first EV) to still feel like a sports car - Turbo or Turbo S for me. :)

To me, it kinda feels like this base model should have just been offered in the Audi e-tron GT rather than as a Porsche Taycan?

Last edited:
Reactions: Dee

Dee

First Name
Dee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
A lot
I see even more cheap plastic on the sills and front bumper...
:)

Last edited:

rbt3

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan 4S, 2020 Tesla Model Y, 2020 MB GLE450
Country flag
The embargo has lifted on first drive reviews of the 2021 Taycan entry-level rear-drive model. Here's a collection:

ARTICLES:

Autoexpress
Autocar
Car and Driver
Edmunds
EVO
Forbes
Motortrend
PistonHeads

Roadshow
Top Gear

VIDEOS:

These reviews are pretty much what one would expect based on the specs of the base Taycan. Still a beautiful car that drives and handles and brakes great, but slower and less thrilling power than its big brothers. If you can live with 1-1.5 seconds slower 0-60mph and quarter mile times, this is a great way to save $20-30k. I think the true "sweet spot" for this car is the 4S version, (yes, I am biased and that's the one I bought). The 3.5 second 0-60mph and 11 sec quarter mile times along with all-wheel drive safety and handling, and great range at a lower price point than Turbo or Turbo S will fit the bill for most people. I'm not sure where the Turbo fits in, as I would imagine most people who opt to spend that much would just go all the way to the Turbo S and get all the performance possible? I drove a Turbo S before I drove the 4S, and I think it is the most special and fantastic sports sedan I've ever driven, but only marginally more so than my 4S, and definitely not justifiable based on price difference for me. I definitely understand someone with unlimited resources going that route though and loading up a Turbo S and driving the hell out of it! I think a lot of people will be very happy with a base Taycan, but I would recommend all of them drive a 4S, and a Turbo S if possible before purchasing and make sure the performance is acceptable and what you expect before you purchase. Thanks for posting the reviews!
Sponsored