2022 Taycan RWD Owner: First Thoughts

williamo

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Macan S | 19 Range Rover | 22 Taycan (on order)
Country flag
After a 7 month wait, and checking Track Your Dream every day, I finally picked up my 2022 Taycan RWD this week. This is my 4th Porsche but my 1st EV ever. In fact, the Taycan is only the second EV I've ever driven. I test drove a Tesla Model S which was fast, but I found the fit and finish extremely poor and the body style is over 10 years old now. I got the standard Taycan with a few upgrades - the premium package, turbo rims, upgraded performance battery plus, electronic sports sound etc, but wanted to keep the price under $105k which was important because this car is designed to save us money on running costs since we also daily a supercharged full-size Range Rover which drinks premium gas like it is going out of style, especially here in California where premium has hovered at $6.89 a gallon for weeks. I should also preface that we live in rural wine country and do not have a charger at home (yet) so we are very much guinea pigs for early electric vehicle adoption in this type of community. We have it all priced out but we are going to see how we get on with the EA network and local chargers before spending $2,500 on that.

Initial thoughts on the base Taycan from 72 hours and 200 miles of driving:

Positives
  • Feels Expensive: With upgraded wheels, Gentian Blue and the chrome window trim, nobody would know this was the "cheap" model. It really looks every part a $100k+ car.
  • Porsche Magic: Genuinely feels like a true Porsche, even in the twists and turns - and seeing the headlight bulges on the hood reminds me of my old 991.
  • Welcome to the Future: Honestly feels like I've driving something 20 years in the future, especially at night with Ambient Lighting and the Electric Sport Sound.
  • Gentian Blue: I was nervous that it could look a little purply, but in most conditions it's more like a true royal blue and gets a lot of compliments.

Neutrals
  • Size: It's much bigger than I remember when ordering. It's actually almost the exactly the same length and width as our full-size L405 Range Rover. I don't mind this as it feels substantial and has a strong presence on the road. Some living in cities might not care for the size/length.
  • Attention: I didn't buy this for attention but it definitely turns heads, especially in our small town.
  • Charging: So far, uneventful. Used the local Electrify America station 20 miles away for a full charge and it worked just fine. Really quick too. I went over the 30 minutes free and it cost me a whopping $1.15! 😂 I topped up at a local EVgo station 10 mins away in town and it cost $9 for just 12% of charge so will be thinking about a subscription for that one.
  • Sunroof: It's probably a good thing that it is so tinted since summer temps here are 90f+, but the full glass effect wasn't as impressive as I thought.

Negatives
  • The Shifter: I know it's early days, but the location of the shifter (hidden behind the steering wheel) and separate P button are a bit of an oversight. Twice now I have pushed the shifter up thinking I'm going into P like you would in a traditional PDK Porsche, but it's actually it's still in reverse. It's trial and error and I'll get used to it, but can imagine someone backing into something.
  • Regen Braking: I don't like the feel of the car with the regenerative braking turned on - it's not just the braking, the whole car feels more jerky and sluggish. That will stay off.
  • Limestone Beige: Our cars are always dark blue over tan, but Limestone feels a little duller/grayer than I remember when I ordered. If money was no object, I think I would have gone for the cream-colored Olea leather instead.

Porsche Taycan 2022 Taycan RWD Owner: First Thoughts IMG_8170
Sponsored

gusone

First Name
gus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW Series 3 XDRIVE M SPORT
Country flag
Grats. You will get used to the shifter. I went in the wrong direction a few times. Funny thing now, when I get in the wife’s Beamer I instinctively reach reach forward beside the steering wheel. Also don’t use regen braking. Go old school and coast. You save more energy than regen coasting.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
I should also preface that we live in rural wine country and do not have a charger at home (yet) so we are very much guinea pigs for early electric vehicle adoption in this type of community. We have it all priced out but we are going to see how we get on with the EA network and local chargers before spending $2,500 on that.
My suggestion is to use a 'normal' 120v outlet in your garage for charging. While this is not a fast charge, depending upon how many miles per day you drive you might be able to use this as your primary charging mode until you bite the bullet and get a faster charger.
A friend of mine bought a Tesla model Y last year and for 6 months used the slow 120v charger until he was able to get an electrician to install a 240v outlet in his garage.
There is no reason why you can't do the same and use the EA network as needed.

Last edited:

wurzitup

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Taycan
Country flag
Car looks awesome.
FYI I bought a $550 Level 2 EVSE and the local utility gave me $500 back towards it. They also reimburse $500 for installation costs for wiring.
I paid my buddy to do the wiring, and the house is newer with the wiring already there so installation was minimal. But it was probably only $750 tops for everything.
The level 2 makes or breaks this for me. The free EA is great for road trips, but it would be a pain without home charging.

DerekS

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan GTS
Country flag
  • Regen Braking: I don't like the feel of the car with the regenerative braking turned on - it's not just the braking, the whole car feels more jerky and sluggish. That will stay off.
Slight clarification, that regen toggle is for accelerator lift-off regen, not braking.

You always get regen braking after the first 1-2 stops per day to keep the brakes clean.

You're probably getting the best range with it off, but you might want to turn it on when going down a mountain or something for some free power.

Fish Fingers

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
I have had the RWD for nearly a year.

I wouid say to try the regen button in Auto (hold steering wheel button for 3 sec).

When you put it in 'forward' or 'reverse' or 'Park' - just do a visual check on the indicator until you get used to it.

PDACPA

First Name
PDA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan RWD, 1989 911 Carrera
Country flag
I was just explaining to someone that I have the RWD model (Base price '21 was $79k; my build obviously was higher) and park it next to the Turbo S $200k+ model and they look the identical.

I have Jet Black over Limestone and my interior looks like a very light tan color. Wonder if your Blue impacts the look of your Limestone to make it look gray.

OP
OP
williamo

williamo

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
21 Macan S | 19 Range Rover | 22 Taycan (on order)
Country flag
I was just explaining to someone that I have the RWD model (Base price '21 was $79k; my build obviously was higher) and park it next to the Turbo S $200k+ model and they look the identical.

I have Jet Black over Limestone and my interior looks like a very light tan color. Wonder if your Blue impacts the look of your Limestone to make it look gray.
I think it might be because I had Mojave Beige in the Macan which was really warm colored, and the Range Rover has a creamy light ivory. I'll get used it I'm sure.

XLR82XS

First Name
LXA
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan | 2021 Cayenne GTS | 2018 991.2 | DMC
That's thing I love about the Taycan. Esthetics in the trim levels differ is such slight ways the average person won't know. Only we/enthusiasts notice wheels, colored brakes and lower body CF body treatments. (designation delete of course :cool:)

I almost ordered mission-e/white brake combo on my RWD. Would make it look even more "expensive".

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
My suggestion is to use a 'normal' 120v outlet in your garage for charging.
a "normal" 110 outlet will put about 3 miles per hour into the car, while that level of charging could be viable for those who drive only 30-40 miles a day it is way too slow for me.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
Regen Braking
Afaik, regen braking doesn’t work in the beginning, on a new car… you have to make about 500km or more.
when brakes will be ready for regen, you’ll also feel that when you’ll press on a brake pedal.
i didn’t like how brakes work during first 450km at all. Couldn’t describe, but it was strange felling.

speaking about home charging.
imo, you should consider portable unit, like Juicebooster. I guess that there’s something similar for US market.
Sponsored

Last edited: