SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
24 Macan GTS, 23 Taycan Turbo, 20 Cayenne Turbo,
Country flag
I have been researching, driving, and looking at many things in person for the past year to finalize my build and ready to place the order in for the 2023. I am seeking feedback to understand what to expect after the order is placed. Dealer said Bose and BM amplifiers are on back order and may be many other parts. 2023 builds will start this fall but if they are backed so backed up to deliver on 2022s then what chance 2023s have. Someone is waiting on 2022 GTS at the dealer, and it keeps delaying.

2023 Taycan Turbo Neptune Build
Sponsored

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Nice spec - appreciate much is personal taste.

Neptune - not a fan but I think would suit gloss black window surrounds rather than chrome.

Mission E - again not a fan but probably better in satin black.

Burmester is probably not need and Bose is good enough.

VLC Pano is an expensive option for something you likely won't see the benefit - rear passengers maybe. I'm on the fence with it but feel it's OTT.

Glass option is probably not needed either - you'll still hear the tyres and the car is quiet in any case. Perhaps heat radiation reduction justifies.

ACC and InnoDrive I'd skip but popular in NA. Too many external dependencies for the system to work flawlessly without having to disable certain features e.g. speed limit recognition (can slow the car when you least expect it).

Reactions: B61
OP
OP
SergeyIndy

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Appreciate the feedback.

Neptune Color - A lot went into settling on the color without going to PTS expense. We have Carrara White Macan and Chalk Cayenne, so those colors were out. My wife likes Ice Grey, so she plans to have it on the Macan EV if that ever happens so that was out. I drove Neptune loaner for a few days and about 600 miles looking at it in different light conditions and while it is still not ideal color choice, the rationale is that this is electric so it should pop a little in bright sun but be muted during cloudy days in the boring sea of black/white/silver here in Indianapolis, and it does that very well. Also, the option of bringing this color into the interior allows to enjoy the color inside (Option: Interior Accents in Exterior Color GT6). Bottom line, this color looks more "electric like" than others and it is a factory exclusive to the Taycan.

Chrome vs. Black - This is a Turbo, so my philosophy is to stay with what is exclusive to the trim as much as possible. Chrome is for Turbo and Matt Black is for GTS, that is why Chrome it is on the window trim and balances out with Mission-E silver wheels and standard chrome logo on the back. I have not crossed to the blacked-out looks as of yet so still staying more in line with classic look.

BM vs. Bose - I drove a few with Bose and it is excellent to my taste, and I felt like I do not need the upgrade. However, I would always wonder what the BM would sound with more live streaming of high-quality content available as I will be spending a lot of time listening to it, especially, this is such a quiet car compared to my Cayenne Turbo.

VLC Pano vs. Not - The loaners I drove all had glass roof and on long trips when it was getting around 5pm that sun was beaming into me and uncomfortably so. I was instinctively reaching for the sunroof cover and of course there was none. This VLC roof is necessary for my conditions but if there was a shade like in the Cayenne that would be just fine, but clearly technically not possible on the Taycan.

Thermo Glass vs. Not - This one is part of the package in the US and that package is a must have for me. Our Macan does not have it and Cayenne has it and I would pick Thermo every time. Thermo glass is double pane and much more solid especially on the Taycan with no frame around the glass and the key benefit is heat rejection and cooler interior combined with window tinting that works perfectly for our Cayenne when going South (Alabama and Florida).

ACC vs. Not - I never had ACC before and really prefer to be driving. I would have optioned it on the Cayenne but that ugly grapefruit size bulb in the middle of the grill is a not starter for me. It is less visible on the Taycan and during my long test drives I really enjoyed ACC and now every car seems to have one when I rent others that are fraction of a fraction of the Taycan price.

InnoDrive - Looked into it a lot and not really seeing a value in it but on top of the Tech Package it is $1,570 that adds some additional driving aids that seems like a steal when Tesla charges some $10,000 for self-driving whatever that never seems to become reality.

Dashcam - This is another interesting option that became available with factory pre-wiring for $130 and then the cam is $475 so that seems to be like a good deal but I never used or needed one before. However, everyone has been driving much more aggressive since covid so having firsthand evidence of any traffic situation sounds like a good idea for this price.

Anyone else having more questions, please fire away. I have spent countless days and months looking into every detail so happy to share my personal rationale for to Be or Not to Be on any option.

jimithing

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Macan Turbo, 2014 Panamera GTS
Country flag
I agree with all of this. I passed on Burm in favor of PCCB because I hate brake dust & it was horrible on my Macan Turbo.

VLC Pano - not offered on my 2021 & I desperately wish I had it. Anytime close to noon, I have to wear a hat to keep the sun out of my eyes.

ACC/InnoDrive - have both and happy I got them. Great in stop & go traffic. Only really useful on the highway but I like it.

Thermal glass - have it, had it on old car too. It does impair cell phone reception but the quietness is simply awesome.

Chrome - I had tons of issues with spots on the chrome surrounds of my Macan Turbo. No issues with gloss black on my Taycan.

whan

First Name
Will
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, Ferrari 458, Lexus GX460
Country flag
To be honest, I'd probably just step up to a Turbo S at your build's price point and the number of add-ons you put in. The Turbo S gets a lot of options you added as standard. Plus you'll get a bump in resale on moving the next trim up vs. speccing a lot of options

A few options I think could be considered for deletion:
  • Burmester - I've heard mixed reviews on this, and many say it's not worth the significant upcharge over the Bose
  • Intelligent Range Meter - cheap option but all it does is adjust AC and some minor stuff, doesn't really add a lot
  • Chalk Belts - I have white-ish belts in my Lexus and dislike it. Because it's handled a lot, looks dirty pretty quick
  • 4 Zone climate - the interior is pretty small, so not sure if this is needed. Also how often will you have passengers? The Taycan rear headroom is somewhat limited so not the best passenger hauling car anyways
  • Tech package - I think most of the items in here are somewhat gimmicky. Haven't seen anyone rave about the night vision, HUD, or third screen
  • PDCC - I've seen questions on whether or not this is worth it. Given your car has all season tires selected, I'm not sure if I'd option this. Out of all the performance options like RAS, I think this is most questionable
  • Variable Light Control - I'd expect this is nice to provide shade, but it's also a really expensive option... I get your point about wanting the shade though.
  • Innodrive+ALK vs. standard ACC. What you're really getting is ALK, which is self steering.
Based on your spec, if I had ~$200k to play with, here's what I'd do instead with a Turbo S. Note you get carbon fiber exterior trim as standard with the Turbo S

http://www.porsche-code.com/PP9BWPM5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Here is how I would do it:
http://www.porsche-code.com/PPL5QSY3

Chalk seatbelts is a bad idea - hard to keep clean
The Turbo stands out due to its painted lower trim - why paint it black?
Standard Bose is great
Black out window trim, and get the black headlights - the satin trim does not fit the car, not sure why they keep putting on

B Pillars in race text, the only option I regret not getting, great choice

Overall the colors are perfect and so are the wheels

Tiptoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1986 Porsche 911, 1974 Citroen 2cv, 2018 Volvo S90
Country flag
This is an excellent build! I really enjoyed your options and thoughtful selections. Please follow up this thread on what you actually order...and of course, photos when it arrives :)

OP
OP
SergeyIndy

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
To be honest, I'd probably just step up to a Turbo S at your build's price point and the number of add-ons you put in. The Turbo S gets a lot of options you added as standard. Plus you'll get a bump in resale on moving the next trim up vs. speccing a lot of options

A few options I think could be considered for deletion:
  • Burmester - I've heard mixed reviews on this, and many say it's not worth the significant upcharge over the Bose
  • Intelligent Range Meter - cheap option but all it does is adjust AC and some minor stuff, doesn't really add a lot
  • Chalk Belts - I have white-ish belts in my Lexus and dislike it. Because it's handled a lot, looks dirty pretty quick
  • 4 Zone climate - the interior is pretty small, so not sure if this is needed. Also how often will you have passengers? The Taycan rear headroom is somewhat limited so not the best passenger hauling car anyways
  • Tech package - I think most of the items in here are somewhat gimmicky. Haven't seen anyone rave about the night vision, HUD, or third screen
  • PDCC - I've seen questions on whether or not this is worth it. Given your car has all season tires selected, I'm not sure if I'd option this. Out of all the performance options like RAS, I think this is most questionable
  • Variable Light Control - I'd expect this is nice to provide shade, but it's also a really expensive option... I get your point about wanting the shade though.
  • Innodrive+ALK vs. standard ACC. What you're really getting is ALK, which is self steering.
Based on your spec, if I had ~$200k to play with, here's what I'd do instead with a Turbo S. Note you get carbon fiber exterior trim as standard with the Turbo S

http://www.porsche-code.com/PP9BWPM5
This is very helpful feedback and I did consider going to Turbo S given the price of the build but I would not have a situation where I would be able to use the extra power and go into expense of servicing ceramic brakes. I am also not a fan of Turbo S body kit it, carbon fiber bits, and standard yellow ceramic breaks so that is why I stuck with the Turbo.

BM audio - I do agree that this is a total overkill and not worth the price but this wonder what would have been would give me deep regret after I get it with Bose so definitely a big stretch for me putting some more hours into the work to earn this option.

IRM - I used it on the loaners and seems like a total waste but I am sticking with it in hopes they update it that it will become more useful over time like they recently added a filter for stations with 100kW and the price is not prohibitive.

Chalk Belts - I have Chalk/GraphiteBlue Cayenne interior and always spec the belts to match the seats. Personal preference, but on this specific interior they provide even more contrast and pop when looking from outside in. I do not have an issue with getting the dirty as I am a clean hog when it comes to the passengers coming into my cars. My kids have to take a minute before getting into the cars to make sure their hands and feet are clean as not to track any dirt into the interior.

4 Zone - I have it on the Cayenne and it makes sense for rear passengers given large interior. Taycan not so much, so I agree, but what made me choose it is some dependency to control front footwell temp that comes with 4 Zone. I have had an issue controlling this on long trips where I want the footwell to be warmer than the main AC.

Tech Package - I do not need HUD, Second Screen, or Remote part and actually prefer it without but the cost of the package vs just adding ACC making them very low cost even if I use them rarely. This was basically a package trap that I got into.

PDCC - This was part of the package and I would have added it in any situation. I have not had it before and never experienced it in driving but all I know being a very heavy although low car, I will need many time a day as we have 400+ roundabout in the area so all the RWS, PTV+, and PDCC will be working overtime every day.

VLC - I mentioned is a must have given no manual shade. Expensive for sure.

InnoDrive - The cost is a value after adding the TechPackage with intent to bet on more improvements over time and I can see using ALK in stop and go which would not be on a daily drive but longer drives as I hit big cities.

TaycanHero

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (2023)
Country flag
As the more controversial and arguably, worst bang for buck option of them all, see the review of Taycan Burmester and Bose audio systems:

TLDR, all of the Taycan sound systems are "ok" compared to the competition, and even the Burmester isn't anything special.

I would avoid the Burmester. Even the Bose is overkill if you only listen to the radio or podcasts.

If music fidelity is important to you, at most go Bose, then with the $XXXX you have saved, put it towards a decent home sound system. Or if you are always on the go, an audiophile set of cans or ear monitors.

You'll even have some change left over for the PPF/ceramic coating.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Usage on roundabouts does not justify PDCC. This car corners flat as it is for most mere mortals. If you track then an argument could be made.

I had it on a Cayenne GTS and don't think it came into play - we have plenty twisty roads in Scotland!

I think though you've already decided.

OP
OP
SergeyIndy

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Usage on roundabouts does not justify PDCC. This car corners flat as it is for most mere mortals. If you track then an argument could be made.

I had it on a Cayenne GTS and don't think it came into play - we have plenty twisty roads in Scotland!

I think though you've already decided.
It is part of the Performance Pack in the US that I must have so basically it is almost free that way with other options checked individually. I did hear that only on track it may come into play and otherwise invisible and only adds weight and wiring complexity. I do believe there is a gauge that shows what it is doing but I have not seen it since there is no car that I drove had it.

OP
OP
SergeyIndy

SergeyIndy

First Name
Sergey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I finally got an allocation for MY23 and would like to share my last-minute things that I learned and also seek further feedback on the final build that is still open for changes with manufacturing target of March and delivery to the dealer in May.

MY23 Taycan Turbo

1. Changed from Neptune to Ice Grey due to personal preference after seeing a Neptune GTS at the dealer in direct sun and covered in dirt, which is as real world look as it gets.

2. Deleted VLC roof as I tested it in person on that Neptune GTS with the main expected function of blocking the sun. I turned it on and off looking at the sun and it was not blocking it. Also, the VLC functionality was broken (one tile would not turn off) so the poor owner is waiting on the replacement after the tint shop broke his rear window when tinting and rear glass took months to get and then replace.

3. Deleted Pre-Wire for the Dashcam as my SA who I trust, changed his original stance on it being plug and play to a 7-hour labor estimate to wire the OEM cam.

4. I asked my SA for inside info dealers get regarding changes for 2022 and 2023. Based on the screenshots he shared, the two were net negative and wonder if forum can confirm:

2022 change: The smartphone compartment with wireless charging loses its cellular signal amplifier. I am sure there is no way to verify that but the whole point of the compartment, so the signal is amplified for other models where this feature is an i-option.

2023 change: Removal of rear footwell lighting. This should be easily verified but what a shame since the area is very dark and narrow and the lighting is helpful.

The concerns that I have between now and delivery would be:

- Will I get the amplifier on delivery or other shortage of components? Most recent deliveries to the dealer were missing Bose and BM amplifiers and cars could not be released to customers.

- Will I be affected by the 12V battery supply? Can someone confirm that this is behind us?

- Will I be affected by the railroad strike or vessel delivery issues. Not predictable.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
I finally got an allocation for MY23 and would like to share my last-minute things that I learned and also seek further feedback on the final build that is still open for changes with manufacturing target of March and delivery to the dealer in May.

MY23 Taycan Turbo

1. Changed from Neptune to Ice Grey due to personal preference after seeing a Neptune GTS at the dealer in direct sun and covered in dirt, which is as real world look as it gets.

2. Deleted VLC roof as I tested it in person on that Neptune GTS with the main expected function of blocking the sun. I turned it on and off looking at the sun and it was not blocking it. Also, the VLC functionality was broken (one tile would not turn off) so the poor owner is waiting on the replacement after the tint shop broke his rear window when tinting and rear glass took months to get and then replace.

3. Deleted Pre-Wire for the Dashcam as my SA who I trust, changed his original stance on it being plug and play to a 7-hour labor estimate to wire the OEM cam.

4. I asked my SA for inside info dealers get regarding changes for 2022 and 2023. Based on the screenshots he shared, the two were net negative and wonder if forum can confirm:

2022 change: The smartphone compartment with wireless charging loses its cellular signal amplifier. I am sure there is no way to verify that but the whole point of the compartment, so the signal is amplified for other models where this feature is an i-option.

2023 change: Removal of rear footwell lighting. This should be easily verified but what a shame since the area is very dark and narrow and the lighting is helpful.

The concerns that I have between now and delivery would be:

- Will I get the amplifier on delivery or other shortage of components? Most recent deliveries to the dealer were missing Bose and BM amplifiers and cars could not be released to customers.

- Will I be affected by the 12V battery supply? Can someone confirm that this is behind us?

- Will I be affected by the railroad strike or vessel delivery issues. Not predictable.
MY23 spec will be as per the configurator and there should be no mystery. Take a look at the standard spec for the items above.

MY24 won't be out until Q3.

12v issue will have been addressed - that's one of the reasons why we are all receiving much wanted allocations.
Sponsored