2025 Taycan released but what about existing Taycan owners?

eisenb11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD
Country flag
Here’s my take on the 2025 -

Specs:

I think Porsche tells the truth, but they’re being misleading in doing so. For example, look at the configurator. Where they used to list the 2024 HP as the overboost number (which I find misleading) they’re now listing the 2025 with the over boost HP and the 2024 with the non-over boost HP. This makes the 2025 look like it has more HP when it’s the same darn number (402 HP on overboost).

Then the media releases tout the big range numbers, but a lot of times it turns out that’s with the upgraded battery so the increase should really be less drastic apples to apples. They’re also touting the WLTP range which (according to Google) is generally 22% higher than EPA. IMHO this big media blitz is so everyone knows the real range of the car before the EPA releases their numbers to prevent what happened to Taycan 1 where they got a bad rap because the range is understated. They make it sound like you’re going to get another 100 miles, but I bet it’s going to be more like 50 (which is still nice).

Body:

I really don’t like what they did to the front of the car. Taycan 1 has a sexy front, it’s what got me captivated with the car. Taycan 2 is more toned down and looks more like a Panamara. YMMV, but not my cup of tea.

Price:

This really depends on how you were going to configure you car. On the surface it’s a $10k bump. But if you were going to get the bigger battery and air suspension anyway (at least for the RWD), it’s pretty much a wash on price and you’re going to get a bunch of other cool stuff on top of that. 2025 is a big win in that case.

I wasn’t planning to get those for my spec, but the base car has some stuff I did want, so for me the price bump was closer to $8k maybe.
Sponsored

ohniner

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan
Country flag
You kidding, it's just depreciated another 10% - $18 is my final offer!
All kidding aside the real issue is not upgraded range or other advancements, which should be expected, but the issues that have befallen some existing owners. The heater issue is not a laughing matter to those that are in cold climates and a repair is not likely until April. Stuff like this happens but Porsche needs to acknowledge and support these owners to prevent fire sales from frustration and further erode values.

BJCanadaMax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cross Turismo, MINI SE, Toyota Prius
Country flag
Existing owners can trade in their cars for a new one, or just keep driving like the car they were sold the day they picked up the car.
no existing car cannot charge their cars!!

Jonathan S.

First Name
Jonathan
Threads
Reaction score
Website
tinyurl.com
Vehicles
'22 4CT, '22 Audi A6 Allroad, '23 BMW i4 M50
Country flag
I thought we have no choice in the matter?
Or at least for those of us in the U.S. -- NHTSA has issued a recall and Do Not Drive notice for all pre-2025 Taycan vehicles on account of insufficient range, and Porsche will be conducting a buy-back campaign a la Dieselgate, right?

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
Think about us cross turismo owners. A mere months after I received my car they released the sport turismo. Now I'm stuck with these damn plastic arches :angry:
Lucky you. I was waiting since July 2021. GTS was released and even delivered to some people before I even managed to find a Turbo CT allocation.

Poppi

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
amg c43 cabrio. Cayenne. Taycan 4S CT
Country flag
Just got the '23 month ago. We were considering ordering the refresh. Now that I see the new design, I have zero regrets. Gone are the curves that I love so much on the CT. Those creases I really don't like. Range? This is why I have XC90T8 for. And frankly, with my kids, we do 200+ mile trips by car once per year. Maybe.
Totallyagree regarding the curves Love the flared wheel wells on our 23 and the new straight line looks boring also no cherry red metallic option Rick

freeforall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo
Country flag
since the miles per charge gets so improved for 2025 Taycan models, what we do with our existing Taycan model? I am very frustrated. My car isn’t even 1 year old.
Design wise: yours is much better so just enjoy it. It is a shame that they removed the magnificent curves just to increase the range by a few miles of range (not a Porsche move :D). Not sure about you, but on my side car's design is important, I optioned the 21 RS Spyder on mine which had the worst range efficiency. I will always prioritise looks over range.

Tech wise: the new instruments cluster is nice. A few improvement in the PRIM as well. But multiple journalists confirmed that the hardware is the same as 1st gen. So we can potentially get a SW upgrade. I think they will wait though before deciding. If the new SW is not buggy, they will be more inclined to release it to 1st generation. I don't see this coming before a year or so.

Range wise: +34% and this how they got it.

Porsche Taycan 2025 Taycan released but what about existing Taycan owners? 1707518502171

The 14% we can forget about
The 5% and 4% maybe we can get a piece by a SW update at some point
The 11% is the interesting one. They mention that it is due to vehicle optimisation but I heard that the new wheels (e.g 21" aero + Hankook tyres) add 40 km WLTP, that's 8%+WLTP => so if range is important just spend 6k and get the new wheels/tyres :D
Keep in mind that those numbers are WLTP. Real life is different. Porsche claims that you gain 40 min on a real life 13 hours trip, I am not sure how many do a 13 hours trip per year.

Personally if I get the new SW (PCM and Instruments cluster) I will be happy. For the rest I am fully satisfied with my car particularly knowing that it is better looking, bought it much cheaper and range is not that critical on a very fast charging car. Interesting enough I do much more miles and long distance since I bought the Tycan (my 1st EV and always had ICEs). It is just fun to drive.

FlyingPoint

First Name
Cobblestone
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan RWD, GT3
Country flag
Now I am starting to wonder if the "thermal management" recall (WPS9) that dealers have no information on may be a battery software solution to get a few more kWh from our batteries. We will see.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
All kidding aside the real issue is not upgraded range or other advancements, which should be expected, but the issues that have befallen some existing owners. The heater issue is not a laughing matter to those that are in cold climates and a repair is not likely until April. Stuff like this happens but Porsche needs to acknowledge and support these owners to prevent fire sales from frustration and further erode values.
I had the heater issue on my 4S on the day I picked up my new GTS ST. My GTS ST delivery was delayed due to a faulty heater picked up during PDI.

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
The 14% we can forget about
The 5% and 4% maybe we can get a piece by a SW update at some point
The 11% is the interesting one. They mention that it is due to vehicle optimisation but I heard that the new wheels (e.g 21" aero + Hankook tyres) add 40 km WLTP, that's 8%+WLTP => so if range is important just spend 6k and get the new wheels/tyres :D
You have some very good points here. The tyre and wheel combination are contributing close to 25% of the overall gain in range, if true. Can be a reasonable investment for additional range, if the visuals are acceptable, which remains to be seen.

I am using my car mainly for long road trips, to visit friends and family. Especially driving through Germany on the autobahn, I would love to have 50 to 80 km extra range. At the speed The cars move there, the consumption rockets and range gets too short.

I do not like the front of the new car at all. It loses the magic that mission E presented when it was released.

If Porsche will continue aerogains in the body shape, they will soon look like the EQS, which I think has lost the plot altogether. All offered on the altar of aerodynamic. It is just absolutely ugly in my view.

All the other improvements I welcome from Porsche. Great to see that they have improved things in so many areas.

I actually think that the new Taycan, apart from the styling, is what I had wished and had hoped for at the launch of the Taycan.

jvdsanden

First Name
Jos
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BMK-inkoop.com
Vehicles
Tesla Model S75D, Taycan CT4S
Country flag
Same question the new owners will have in 4 years when Gen 3 comes out.

Everything (especially phones) become obsolete shortly after you buy them......It's just how the modern world is.
But you have to jump on board with these things somewhere down the line knowing that.

More importantly, you were quite happy with your car before you found out the next new shiney had come out.
Nothing has changed for you.

root-of-suffering-.jpg
Completely agree. But what I fear with a German manufacturer is that all new software adjustments and/or gadgets will no longer be available for the older models. Yes, or at a ridiculous price.

freeforall

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Sport Turismo
Country flag
You have some very good points here. The tyre and wheel combination are contributing close to 25% of the overall gain in range, if true. Can be a reasonable investment for additional range,
Actually I did a quick test on the configurator. When you change the spec in the configurator the WLTP is adjusted automatically
- When I chose my wheels (21" RS Spyder) and only switched from the Standard new tyres (supposed to be efficient, probably Hankook as well?) to Standard Summer Tyres, the WLTP range dropped by 28 km. So one thing we can do is just buy the new efficient tyres when our tyres get worn... :D
The rims is another budget and from what I see the difference of efficiency between RS Spyder with new tyres vs switching completely to the new 21" Aero only brings 13 km of WLTP efficiency

But all of this is WLTP so I am not sure how much I can trust it.

I actually think that the new Taycan, apart from the styling, is what I had wished and had hoped for at the launch of the Taycan.
Agree 100%. But if they bring all the tech to the current Taycan (which is a big IF), it will only be the range who differs. And for that I say let's see what real life range will look like. The example trip Stuttgart -> Barcelona is done in 13 hours instead of 13h40 min. So for shorter trips (6 or 7 hours) probably the difference is around 20 min per trip. If that's true, it is not worth it IMHO, it is better to have a better looking car and a cheaper one :D

Porsche Taycan 2025 Taycan released but what about existing Taycan owners? 1707558399307

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
Agree 100%. But if they bring all the tech to the current Taycan (which is a big IF), it will only be the range who differs. And for that I say let's see what real life range will look like. The example trip Stuttgart -> Barcelona is done in 13 hours instead of 13h40 min. So for shorter trips (6 or 7 hours) probably the difference is around 20 min per trip. If that's true, it is not worth it IMHO, it is better to have a better looking car and a cheaper one :D
I agree!

I have been contacted by my dealer to see my interest in changing to the new model. They will only have quite a limited allocation this year they told me.

But I can not see any reason at all to change my car.
Yes I can get a better range, which is valuable to me on some long road trips.
Yes the new SW and HUD look nice.
Yes the new charging speed would be nice
But the Charging networks in Europe are rolling out 300 kW+ charging stations at such a rate now that the benefit is marginal at best.

NO NO NO the new styling is not to my liking at all. Not my cup of tea.

And in another 4 - 5 years Porsche is likely to change to the common VW group standard (SSP?) platform, so we start from scratch again!

I will keep on buying the extended warranty and happily drive this car several more years (4 years and counting now). I have had so many issues and problems that for me the value of the extended warranty has been fantastic. And I think with age it will only get better value. It is in for new charging connectors, new LTE module (or Gateway module) and surprise surprise a new heater at the moment! All covered by extended warranty and recall.

I also pray for and hope that some of the SW updates in the PCM will filter down to our model.
Sponsored