22 kW onboard charger

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I will be able to charge 11 kWh at home and my daily commute and weekend use are generally way below the estimated range of a CT 4. And if I happend to get the SoC really low I can charge over night. And there is a Iononity charger at 20 km from home.

I do some longer weekend trips with enough Ionity chargers around and a single 10-15 minute charge should be enough.

I do two longer holiday trips a year (Germany, France, Switzerland, Austria, northern Italy)

Any recommendations if the 22 KwH charger is worth it in this situations. I don't think so but if I am missing something and it is of real practical use I rather spent the extra 1800 euro than being sorry afterwards.

Otherwise I might add rear axle steering.
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
It sounds like you won't get much use out of the 22kw charger. I say that as someone who has it and does get use out of it. But in my case its because there are 1000's of 22kW public chargers in remote areas of Ireland – and not so many fast chargers.

So I use it on road trips or overnight in hotels. That might be the one place where you would miss it. Lots of hotels have destination charging at 22kW rate – and its good to be able to top up quickly there and free them up for others.

Also, if you want it later this press release suggests it can be retro fitted later – but at what cost – unknown.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...are-update-for-first-taycan-models-23911.html

WoKe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC40 P8 & Taycan CT4S
Country flag
I specced the 22kw charger since I can charge at 22kw at home. Also quite a few public chargepoints support 22kw charging. But also still in dubio if it's worth it.
Soon the capacity-tarif will be here (in Belgium), and using a lot of capacity for +15 minutes determines your monthly capacity-fee. So if I charge once per month at 22kw it cost me on a yearly basis about 600€ extra (compared to 11kw charging).
We already have another EV that charges at 11kw, so charging both cars at the same time at 11kw will also cost us that much. I have 2 chargers that are loadbalanced and can deliver a total max of 27kw.

I guess most of the time both cars can charge overnight at 5kw and still be full enough the next day. It's just that few random times you wan't to charge a lot and fast (using AC) ... is it worth 1800€ ... don't know ...

Rear-axle steering is also an option of 2500€, but that one did not make it to my spec :)

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I specced the 22kw charger since I can charge at 22kw at home. Also quite a few public chargepoints support 22kw charging. But also still in dubio if it's worth it.
Soon the capacity-tarif will be here (in Belgium), and using a lot of capacity for +15 minutes determines your monthly capacity-fee. So if I charge once per month at 22kw it cost me on a yearly basis about 600€ extra (compared to 11kw charging).
We already have another EV that charges at 11kw, so charging both cars at the same time at 11kw will also cost us that much. I have 2 chargers that are loadbalanced and can deliver a total max of 27kw.

I guess most of the time both cars can charge overnight at 5kw and still be full enough the next day. It's just that few random times you wan't to charge a lot and fast (using AC) ... is it worth 1800€ ... don't know ...

Rear-axle steering is also an option of 2500€, but that one did not make it to my spec :)
Thanks for the insights. I am not going to install a 22 kwh charger and the only time I would use 22 kwh charging would be when visiting family and plugging in to a 22 public charger close by. These visits are half a day or more and always below 400 - 450 km total. So charging 11 kwh on desitination would still give my enough range to make it back home. And charging 11 kwh at home at night should get me back at 100% charge if needed. And enough ionity chargers along the way so I figured if i stop once for 10 minutes I don't even have to charge on destination before returning home.

The X5 it is replacing near has all options. I am really in doubt about rear axle steering. I have it on my X5 45e now and I like it. but I have never driven an X5 without so I can't compare. The footprint is qui similar but the X5 is much higher off course. The sales guy told me not to take it because it doesn't make sense if you don't intend to to drive it on a track. I have read the same in other reports here.

Same for HUD I have had it on al my last 3 BMW's and I really like it. However the HUD seems to be much less sophisticated in the Taycan and I don't think it is with it.

I also have acoustic glass on the X5 and I think I will take it for the Taycan. Should be good for the range too since the airco has to cool less.

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
I have the 22 kW charger, I think it was standard on my Turbo. I'm able to charge 22kW at our company which is superb.

Also there are more and more 22 kW facilities in Belgium, so if you're in the city somewhere or at an appointment it would very well be possible to charge 22 kW. And if you only need to stop for a few hours you're battery would be charged twice the amount in the same time.

Regarding the HUD. I also had several in my previous BMW's and absolutely loved it. Because of the many displays it the taycan and the possibility to change them to your liking I didn't spec it. Also I don't like the dashboard where they just added a seperate piece on top. I can't say I miss the HUD, although I was used to it.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have the 22 kW charger, I think it was standard on my Turbo. I'm able to charge 22kW at our company which is superb.

Also there are more and more 22 kW facilities in Belgium, so if you're in the city somewhere or at an appointment it would very well be possible to charge 22 kW. And if you only need to stop for a few hours you're battery would be charged twice the amount in the same time.

Regarding the HUD. I also had several in my previous BMW's and absolutely loved it. Because of the many displays it the taycan and the possibility to change them to your liking I didn't spec it. Also I don't like the dashboard where they just added a seperate piece on top. I can't say I miss the HUD, although I was used to it.
Thanks really useful info about the HUD. I was thinking the same. Nice to see some confirmation.
My daily commutes are quite low during the week so I will probably never have the need to charge during the week.
And I think it can be installed afterward if I really need it

Last edited:

WoKe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC40 P8 & Taycan CT4S
Country flag
I also did not go for the HUD, used to have it on all my previous cars, but on the Taycan it does not make much sense imo. The dash is already showing everything you need to see, and adding HUD makes the bulge on the dashboard higher, which kind of breaks the clean look.

WoKe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
XC40 P8 & Taycan CT4S
Country flag

Also the main reason I got it ... although I should normally manage by only charging at home.
But you never know, maybe next year I'll do some more commuting ...

DennisB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
Country flag
Thanks really useful info about the HUD. I was thinking the same. Nice to see some confirmation.
My daily commutes are quite low during the week so I will probably never have the need to charge during the week.
And I think it can be installed afterward if I really need it
Yes you can install it afterwards.

For me it's totally different. I have my car since may and already put 17.500 km on it. Every trip I take I'm calculating during driving how, when and where to charge. Going to a client, city or Knokke ;), most of the time it's a two way journey to consider. Yes we have a range of+-360km (actually mine dropped to 320 now with the current temp.), but you'll never end up at your destination with 0%. Even when you arrive with 10-20-30% you're not sure on the trip back you'll find a fast charger within that percentage. Than it's nice to know that there are a lot of low powered chargers available and you're able to use one of those with a descent charging speed.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Yes you can install it afterwards.

For me it's totally different. I have my car since may and already put 17.500 km on it. Every trip I take I'm calculating during driving how, when and where to charge. Going to a client, city or Knokke ;), most of the time it's a two way journey to consider. Yes we have a range of+-360km (actually mine dropped to 320 now with the current temp.), but you'll never end up at your destination with 0%. Even when you arrive with 10-20-30% you're not sure on the trip back you'll find a fast charger within that percentage. Than it's nice to know that there are a lot of low powered chargers available and you're able to use one of those with a descent charging speed.
That makes perfect sense. Would be stupid not to have it. In your case it makes a big difference.

Roy

First Name
Roy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan turbo
Country flag
It sounds like you won't get much use out of the 22kw charger. I say that as someone who has it and does get use out of it. But in my case its because there are 1000's of 22kW public chargers in remote areas of Ireland – and not so many fast chargers.

So I use it on road trips or overnight in hotels. That might be the one place where you would miss it. Lots of hotels have destination charging at 22kW rate – and its good to be able to top up quickly there and free them up for others.

Also, if you want it later this press release suggests it can be retro fitted later – but at what cost – unknown.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...are-update-for-first-taycan-models-23911.html
Hi i have a 22kw charger.
It is a big difference.

I bought a separate juice booster mobile charger with it. It is less bulky and heavy then the mobile porsche charger.
I bought a Juice booster with european connection kit. It is a super set.
I travel in the same countries as you.
It always picks the fastest possible charging setup.
I leave it in the frunk always.
I noticed the range is more when charged to 100% with juice booster then with the origional 22kw charger. It should not be possble but i tested it several times.
Buy the juice booster. Its cheaper, smaller, more flexible and better then the porsche chargers.
You will love it
I do and I have both..

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Hi i have a 22kw charger.
It is a big difference.

I bought a separate juice booster mobile charger with it. It is less bulky and heavy then the mobile porsche charger.
I bought a Juice booster with european connection kit. It is a super set.
I travel in the same countries as you.
It always picks the fastest possible charging setup.
I leave it in the frunk always.
I noticed the range is more when charged to 100% with juice booster then with the origional 22kw charger. It should not be possble but i tested it several times.
Buy the juice booster. Its cheaper, smaller, more flexible and better then the porsche chargers.
You will love it
I do and I have both..
I am interested how you use the charger. I am configuring a CT and wonder if I need it.

I visit my family in the Netherlands quite often and it is a 420 km round trip. It would have to charge on location or use one of the IONITY or fast net charger on the A27. With the 22 kWh charger it will probably be enough just to charge on location.

When do you use the 22 kWh charger on road-trips? Do you charger on 22 kWh public chargers? Could you explain why I would need a juice booster or the Porsche equivalent?

thx!

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
I am interested how you use the charger. I am configuring a CT and wonder if I need it.

I visit my family in the Netherlands quite often and it is a 420 km round trip. It would have to charge on location or use one of the IONITY or fast net charger on the A27. With the 22 kWh charger it will probably be enough just to charge on location.

When do you use the 22 kWh charger on road-trips? Do you charger on 22 kWh public chargers? Could you explain why I would need a juice booster or the Porsche equivalent?

thx!
Are you sure you can charge 22kWh at your (destination)family ?
The 150kW DC charger option(is it already a standard?) might also be interesting for you, if you do not want to depend on the Ionity 800V chargers.
Without the 150kW charger, you'll have a maximum charging speed of 50kW DC.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
Are you sure you can charge 22kWh at your (destination)family ?
The 150kW DC charger option(is it already a standard?) might also be interesting for you, if you do not want to depend on the Ionity 800V chargers.
Without the 150kW charger, you'll have a maximum charging speed of 50kW DC.
Not sure I'm following the discussion correctly but..

1. 150kW 400V DC booster is an option (useful to access legacy 400V > 50kW DC chargers and Tesla Supercharger Network (trials in progress). There may be other > 50kW DC 400V EVSEs out there but you'd need to investigate to see if it is worthwhile or not (relatively low cost as an option)
2. 22kW AC onboard charger is an option but requires a) 3 phase supply at home, b) 22kW capable EVSE e.g. PMCC to take advance. Note standard AC onboard charger is 11kW which also requires 3 phase supply to max out the charging.
3. Standard Taycan DC 400v Charger is 50kW BUT you can use EVSEs upt o 350kW (270kW) 800V e.g. IONITY.
Sponsored