benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
MY2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Not sure I'm following the discussion correctly but..

1. 150kW 400V DC booster is an option (useful to access legacy 400V > 50kW DC chargers and Tesla Supercharger Network (trials in progress). There may be other > 50kW DC 400V EVSEs out there but you'd need to investigate to see if it is worthwhile or not (relatively low cost as an option)
2. 22kW AC onboard charger is an option but requires a) 3 phase supply at home, b) 22kW capable EVSE e.g. PMCC to take advance. Note standard AC onboard charger is 11kW which also requires 3 phase supply to max out the charging.
3. Standard Taycan DC 400v Charger is 50kW BUT you can use EVSEs upt o 350kW (270kW) 800V e.g. IONITY.
Your remarks are correct. Since he is talking about a regular trip from Belgium to the Netherlands I mentioned the 150kW option. Besides the 350kW 800V Ionity charging stations, there are also a lot of >50kW 400V charging stations(for example the 175kW 400V Shell rechargers). That's why this option will be handy in his situation. And this option doesn't have a Porsche price ;)
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Are you sure you can charge 22kWh at your (destination)family ?
The 150kW DC charger option(is it already a standard?) might also be interesting for you, if you do not want to depend on the Ionity 800V chargers.
Without the 150kW charger, you'll have a maximum charging speed of 50kW DC.
Thx.

the 150 kWh charger is standard in Belgium on the CT. Strange that it wasn’t before.

They live in the city centre of Utrecht and Zeist and I checked there are some 22 kWh chargers at a couple of minutes walking. One other frequent destination only has 11 kWh.

Not sure if I am going to use the public charger for 4-5 hours or rather charge 15 minutes at a fast charger. For now it sounds better to charge at a public charger.

And I think it might be a good back up on holidays when have trouble finding a working fast charger. With the 22 kWh charger it would have 20 % charge after one hour. Or is this just range anxiety and shouldn’t I worry about that.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
You're remarks are correct. Since he is talking about a regular trip from Belgium to the Netherlands I mentioned the 150kW option. Besides the 350kW 800V Ionity charging stations, there are also a lot of >50kW 400V charging stations(for example the 175kW 400V Shell rechargers). That's why this option will be handy in his situation. And this option doesn't have a Porsche price ;)
it actually included now.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
...Or is this just range anxiety and shouldn’t I worry about that.
It probably is. Have driven over 25.000km with my Taycan, never had a problem. In Western Europe there are so many (fast) chargers, you must be deliberately looking for an empty battery to get in this situation.

benver

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

AndiL

First Name
Andreas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, ID. 3
Country flag
the 150 kWh charger is standard in Belgium on the CT. Strange that it wasn’t before.
And I think it might be a good back up on holidays when have trouble finding a working fast charger. With the 22 kWh charger it would have 20 % charge after one hour. Or is this just range anxiety and shouldn’t I worry about that.
Hi @McgR , I am sorry to be a little nit-picky: Would you mind not using kWh as a unit for charging speed as that is the unit for energy amount? It should be 150 kW and 22kW instead :) Just remove the h at the end, it is even less typing :D

Just burns my engineers eyes a bit when reading ;)

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Hi @McgR , I am sorry to be a little nit-picky: Would you mind not using kWh as a unit for charging speed as that is the unit for energy amount? It should be 150 kW and 22kW instead :) Just remove the h at the end, it is even less typing :D

Just burns my engineers eyes a bit when reading ;)

Thanks for noticing. Tbh I am always confused what to use kw vs kWh. Has been since high school and not in my field of work anymore.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
You're remarks are correct. Since he is talking about a regular trip from Belgium to the Netherlands I mentioned the 150kW option. Besides the 350kW 800V Ionity charging stations, there are also a lot of >50kW 400V charging stations(for example the 175kW 400V Shell rechargers). That's why this option will be handy in his situation. And this option doesn't have a Porsche price ;)
Isn’t in kind of fooling people, advertising fast charging at 270 kW but it is only available at 800 V chargers. When charging on a 400 V charger it drops down to 50 kW which is slow for a fast charger. Fortunately the 150 kW is standard now.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Isn’t in kind of fooling people, advertising fast charging at 270 kW but it is only available at 800 V chargers. When charging on a 400 V charger it drops down to 50 kW which is slow for a fast charger. Fortunately the 150 kW is standard now.

Being fair I don't think there are that many 400V limited DC >50kW chargers left in Europe (leaving Tesla out if it for one second) are there? Now I was always going to add the 150kW to my build on the possibility of Tesla opening up and of course now that is all but confirmed you'd be mad not to (still optional on UK spec models, I expect it will be standard on MY'23 everywhere).

Back on topic, I am adding the 22kW option. My view the route to an easy EV life is the maximum flexibility. I'm hoping to do some European road trips (Alps, Portugal to see parents) so feel it will be beneficial off the beaten track. Also, my partner is in Scotland, recently drove to the highlands in my current iPace where there aren't a lot of DC spots. Selected a nice hotel with DC for lunch but....the DC unit was broken. Two hours of lunch and a walk added only 16% (my ipace is the older 7.4kW model) so guess an 11kW Taycan would have done about 22%, that was enough additional to get us home but we had to cancel the plan to drive one of the mountains. If I'd had that 22kW option we could have done as we planned, even with the failed DC unit.

OP
OP
McgR

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
We are staying in a hotel at the French coast. Not a lot of public chargers. Lucky to have two 22 kw chargers in the hotel. One of them was broken. A XC40 P8 also wanted to charge. He let me go first because I could charge at 22 kw. It was charging 20 kw / h and in less than four hours it was charged from 30 to 100. I unplugged and he could charge over night. This was exactly what I thought I might need it for.

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag
I am confused by my dealer.

he said that the 22 kw option is only for 3 fases home.

For the use on fastned, do I need that option or not?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
We are staying in a hotel at the French coast. Not a lot of public chargers. Lucky to have two 22 kw chargers in the hotel. One of them was broken. A XC40 P8 also wanted to charge. He let me go first because I could charge at 22 kw. It was charging 20 kw / h and in less than four hours it was charged from 30 to 100. I unplugged and he could charge over night. This was exactly what I thought I might need it for.
There are a lot of 22 kWchargers here in France, due to the popularity of the Zoe. Its a good alternative when stopping at a restaurant or a golf club. The option is not cheap though..

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I am confused by my dealer.

he said that the 22 kw option is only for 3 fases home.

For the use on fastned, do I need that option or not?
No Fastned is HPC with some 300 kW DC.

The 22 kW option is AC and it is correct that you need 3 phase to maximise its use. But there are a lot of 22kW public AC chargers here in France.

YLA G

First Name
Yves
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mini Countryman, Tesla P3D - Order: Taycan ST
Country flag
Thx, so no stress needed..

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thx, so no stress needed..
There are many very good apps to download, that show charging stations in different countries.

I like ChargeFinder because it is easy to set filters and only show HPC. The other benefit is also that it is quite well updated with the stae of charger, ie occupied and at what charge level, broken or free.

And there are plenty of good trip report by @tigerbalm, @Pozuelo and others now, that have made very long trips through different countries. And at all times of the year without problems.

You need to spend some time planning the trip and look for charging options. But it is time well spent!
Sponsored