manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S, Audi E-tron
Country flag
The week of October 5th I'm going on a 5 day road rally through the mountains of Colorado. All backroad driving. It's organized by my brother and will include 10 Ferrari's and 1 911. I will obviously be the only electric car on the rally.

I've spent the last week or two mapping out all of the charging locations and putting together a plan for charging every day. Because most of the time will be on back roads there aren't a lot of high speed charging options, so it's been interested trying to get this to work.

As a test for the upcoming rally I decided to drive to the first charging stop this morning to see how much battery would be used and how well the first charger would work. It's a Chargepoint DC charger rated at 62.5kW. I used A Better Route Planner and with the standard settings it estimated I would arrive with 45% of the battery remaining after 113.5 miles. When I got into the car this morning and plugged in the destination Porsche estimated I would have 55% of the battery remaining. I'm driving a Turbo S with factory all-seasons on the Mission E wheels.

My starting elevation is about 6400ft and the elevation at the half way point (charging location) is 7100ft. I drove over two mountain passes both around 9500ft in elevation. It was a mix of typical mountain roads with fairly tight corners and speed limits between 40-60mph and two longer open road sections with 65mph speed limits. Spirited driving in the mountain sections in Sport Plus mode and 10-15 over the speed limit (staying with traffic) on the open road sections in Normal or Sport mode. Temps were about 40-50F on the way out and then 60-70F on the way back. I used the heated seats and steering wheel when it was cold and the A/C when it warmed up.

Overall I average 332 W/mi and used about 90% of the battery to travel 227 miles. That equals about a 257 mile range. A nice surprise when I got to the Chargepoint charger, even though it shows 62.5kW on Plugshare I was getting 85kW the entire charge. I added about 15kW then turned around and headed back.

The good news is the efficiency was much higher than expected. I arrived at the charger with 60% of the battery remaining. 5% better than what Porsche estimated and 15% better than A Better Route Planner. This is giving my a lot more confidence on the upcoming rally.

I'll post a separate thread to document the results of the 5 day rally. I'm planning on keeping track of all the data plus I'll share any charging issues etc. I'll also post some pictures/video as the scenery should be epic.
Sponsored

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
@manitou202 this is a great report - I can’t wait for the rally report!

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I'll post a separate thread to document the results of the 5 day rally. I'm planning on keeping track of all the data plus I'll share any charging issues etc. I'll also post some pictures/video as the scenery should be epic.
The scenery is epic with all the season’s colors in the mountains taking your breath away. I arrived in Colorado on Wednesday after three days of driving from New Jersey (not too keen on flying yet) and it definitely doesn’t disappoint!

YourGrace

First Name
Aziz
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan Turbo
Country flag
@manitou202 I'm in the springs as well. Got a Taycan Turbo. Looking forward to your results. Glad the altitude doesn't affect my car like it did with my 991.1c2s.

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
@manitou202 I'm in the springs as well. Got a Taycan Turbo. Looking forward to your results. Glad the altitude doesn't affect my car like it did with my 991.1c2s.
Glad to meet another Colorado Springs Taycan owner!

I believe electric cars actually perform slightly better at altitude. They don't lose power when the air gets thinner. They do lose a bit of cooling efficiency, but the thinner air also means less drag. Nothing like an internal combustion engine though, losing 20-30% power in the mountains.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Taycan CT4s + 2023 Rivian R1T
Country flag
The week of October 5th I'm going on a 5 day road rally through the mountains of Colorado. All backroad driving. It's organized by my brother and will include 10 Ferrari's and 1 911. I will obviously be the only electric car on the rally.

I've spent the last week or two mapping out all of the charging locations and putting together a plan for charging every day. Because most of the time will be on back roads there aren't a lot of high speed charging options, so it's been interested trying to get this to work.

As a test for the upcoming rally I decided to drive to the first charging stop this morning to see how much battery would be used and how well the first charger would work. It's a Chargepoint DC charger rated at 62.5kW. I used A Better Route Planner and with the standard settings it estimated I would arrive with 45% of the battery remaining after 113.5 miles. When I got into the car this morning and plugged in the destination Porsche estimated I would have 55% of the battery remaining. I'm driving a Turbo S with factory all-seasons on the Mission E wheels.

My starting elevation is about 6400ft and the elevation at the half way point (charging location) is 7100ft. I drove over two mountain passes both around 9500ft in elevation. It was a mix of typical mountain roads with fairly tight corners and speed limits between 40-60mph and two longer open road sections with 65mph speed limits. Spirited driving in the mountain sections in Sport Plus mode and 10-15 over the speed limit (staying with traffic) on the open road sections in Normal or Sport mode. Temps were about 40-50F on the way out and then 60-70F on the way back. I used the heated seats and steering wheel when it was cold and the A/C when it warmed up.

Overall I average 332 W/mi and used about 90% of the battery to travel 227 miles. That equals about a 257 mile range. A nice surprise when I got to the Chargepoint charger, even though it shows 62.5kW on Plugshare I was getting 85kW the entire charge. I added about 15kW then turned around and headed back.

The good news is the efficiency was much higher than expected. I arrived at the charger with 60% of the battery remaining. 5% better than what Porsche estimated and 15% better than A Better Route Planner. This is giving my a lot more confidence on the upcoming rally.

Dave: I am curious to the route you took? Can you share for us locals? thanks

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Dave: I am curious to the route you took? Can you share for us locals? thanks
The screen shot below is approximately the route I took this past weekend. Headed out of Manitou Springs on 24 to Buena Vista, south on 285 to Salida, east on 50 to Canyon City, and then back to Colorado Springs via 115.

I'll start a new thread for the actual 5 day road trip and post details of our route. I believe it's about 1200 miles through Colorado.

Porsche Taycan 227 mile test run results for upcoming road rally (Taycan Turbo S) Image 9-21-20 at 8.32 AM

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The screen shot below is approximately the route I took this past weekend. Headed out of Manitou Springs on 24 to Buena Vista, south on 285 to Salida, east on 50 to Canyon City, and then back to Colorado Springs via 115.

I'll start a new thread for the actual 5 day road trip and post details of our route. I believe it's about 1200 miles through Colorado.

Image 9-21-20 at 8.32 AM.jpeg

That is great route. What was your overall average speed for the drive, 45mph or 55mph?

OP
OP
manitou202

manitou202

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is great route. What was your overall average speed for the drive, 45mph or 55mph?
Average was 47 mph. There were several slow spots (Salida, and Canyon City) but otherwise cruising the canyons in the 50-70mph range and the open sections through South Park at 75-80mph.

thecoloradokid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Average was 47 mph. There were several slow spots (Salida, and Canyon City) but otherwise cruising the canyons in the 50-70mph range and the open sections through South Park at 75-80mph.

Gotcha. That explains the good efficiency numbers.

I see you used the new ChargePoint charger in Salida. Glad to see that it was charging faster than listed. I hope we can get similar chargers all across the southern part of Colorado - Alamosa, Pagosa Springs, Durango, and Telluride. . I want to take the Taycan down to Telluride and Durango via Wolf Creek Pass, but there are no higher speed chargers in that part of the state.
Sponsored