AHayat

First Name
Amjad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jaguar XF, Audi A7 Comp Edition, CLS53 AMG
Country flag
Have the 22kw battery charger been resolved? The previous advice being to reduce the charge rate at home to around 5kw
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
From my perspective – as a fellow Taycan owner in Ireland that had massive impact from this:
  • From my formal and informal chats with Porsche (including Porsche Engineering at Porsche AG) the latest update includes a permanent fix to the 22kW charger – the so-called harmonics issue.
  • I have no information to contradict that – so until I do – I now consider the issue resolved.
  • I have restored my charger to full power.
  • I have included a 22kW charger in my new Taycan Turbo S on-order (i.e I have faith in new cars with this option being okay).
  • A pleasant surprise for me was that Plug & Charge (which was removed on MY21 cars at the factory) is now back available and I confirmed it worked perfectly yesterday at IONITY Gorey and IONITY Kill North stations.

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Some insights into the update from talking to service at Porsche Centre Dublin:
  • The update takes a minimum of six hours – usually eight.
  • The update goes a lot smoother/faster if the car has already installed ONA5 over the air.
  • The car needs to be on a service bay when it's getting the update. It takes up a slot in the service garage.
  • It requires a HV qualified technician to work on a Taycan – including this update. Thankfully, Dublin now has a few such technician's with more finishing their qualifications soon. This will remove a big bottleneck to getting Taycan's into service. The delay in training was pandemic related.
  • The software install does really include 60+ manual steps, including taking measurements and inputting in values during the process. The technician has, for example, to measure battery levels in the HV cells half-way through and input them into the PIWIS 3 computer so that it can continue with the update.
  • Therefore, the update takes up a bay + a technician for the day. This is not an update that you can just kick off in the corner and leave run.
With every Taycan needing to come in – it is inevitable that a queue is going to form.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
  • The update goes a lot smoother/faster if the car has already installed ONA5 over the air.
  • The car needs to be on a service bay when it's getting the update. It takes up a slot in the service garage.
  • It requires a HV qualified technician to work on a Taycan – including this update. Thankfully, Dublin now has a few such technician's with more finishing their qualifications soon. This will remove a big bottleneck to getting Taycan's into service. The delay in training was pandemic related.
  • The software install does really include 60+ manual steps, including taking measurements and inputting in values during the process. The technician has, for example, to measure battery levels in the HV cells half-way through and input them into the PIWIS 3 computer so that it can continue with the update.
  • Therefore, the update takes up a bay + a technician for the day. This is not an update that you can just kick off in the corner and leave run.
With every Taycan needing to come in – it is inevitable that a queue is going to form.
While I applaud Porsche fixing some issues over time, the process you describe also when considering the dealership appointment required for the PCM update (ANA6 IIRC) shows that Porsche just flat out made false advertisements when it was bragging about OTA updates.

Having 60+ steps to update the charger although free for the customer still requires the car to be brought and picked up from the service center and is quite frankly a sign of very poor design by the engineers. I can see it here; team 1 designed the charger, team 2 designed the PCM etc. They were each working to their sole spec sheet without ever speaking to each other. Large software houses like Microsoft had this approach a while back when XP was designed and that lead to unbelievable pains for a decade to slowly fix the OS as fixing a problem created other problems.

Abdul

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Gentian Blue Taycan 4S...previously Ice Grey RWD
Country flag
I have the 22kw on mine as quite a few 22kw (still free) chargers in Scotland. Advised by dealer that there should be no issues with home as normal (7kw). If out and about can get me a quicker charge and , more importantly an option eg yesterday out and about and plugged into a 50kw DC fast charger...didn't work as faulty!
Same charger had a type 2 43 kw AC cable too so at least managed to draw 22kw via that rather than only 11kw(the standard on the car)

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
still requires the car to be brought and picked up from the service center and is quite frankly a sign of very poor design by the engineers.
Oh, for sure and the Porsche Centre's themselves aren't loving it either. They are getting paid a fixed amount of time for each update – that is less than 50% of the time it's actually taking.

This latest update is making some bold promises on enabling more OTA. Porsche are on that journey – time will tell how far they've come with this update.

tutis

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche
Country flag
Oh, for sure and the Porsche Centre's themselves aren't loving it either. They are getting paid a fixed amount of time for each update – that is less than 50% of the time it's actually taking.

This latest update is making some bold promises on enabling more OTA. Porsche are on that journey – time will tell how far they've come with this update.
I can only hope that OTA will be a thing going forward, but taking a step back and seeing how some incredibly simple bugs like the PCM regularly forgetting the radio favourites still haven't been fixed in 2 years+, I am not holding my breath that Porsche software team suddenly solved OTA updates that are an order of magnitude more difficult to pull-off.

The silver-lining about all of this is that well-scheduled updates requiring dealer visits can get me a free trial for a day or two of 911/Boxster or other loaners I have been meaning to try out.

haltun

First Name
hasan altun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s 2021
Country flag
I have a Porsche Taycan 4s 2021 with 22 kw onboard charger option. I have increasing AC charger problems. We have tried a lot of devices (ABB, Schneider, and Porsche mobile connect). Also, we tried a few different cables. The car doesn't start charging. There is no problem with DC charging.

Porsche service updated the software three times, but this didn’t change anything. They blamed 22kw AC charger devices (ABB vs.). I have the same problem also with Porsche mobile connect devices.

At last, I found a solution to this problem. When I deselect “Battery-friendly quick charging” option, the car starts charging immediately. But in this stuation, if we are using any profile or timer, the car is going into waiting period. After waiting period, charging cannot start again. If we drive the car for some time, the charging is starting again.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have a Porsche Taycan 4s 2021 with 22 kw onboard charger option. I have increasing AC charger problems. We have tried a lot of devices (ABB, Schneider, and Porsche mobile connect). Also, we tried a few different cables. The car doesn't start charging. There is no problem with DC charging.

Porsche service updated the software three times, but this didn’t change anything. They blamed 22kw AC charger devices (ABB vs.). I have the same problem also with Porsche mobile connect devices.

At last, I found a solution to this problem. When I deselect “Battery-friendly quick charging” option, the car starts charging immediately. But in this stuation, if we are using any profile or timer, the car is going into waiting period. After waiting period, charging cannot start again. If we drive the car for some time, the charging is starting again.
I had this once. Probably it is not the same as you describe. In my case it happened when I had a destination set in navigation and battery level was high enough and it wouldn’t start charging. I was even unable to overrule with direct charge. Was solved by ending navigation.
other thing: could it be that the battery is really hot? Turkey is really hot now isn’t it? Maybe the battery friendly charging wants a lower temperature?

haltun

First Name
hasan altun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s 2021
Country flag
I had this once. Probably it is not the same as you describe. In my case it happened when I had a destination set in navigation and battery level was high enough and it wouldn’t start charging. I was even unable to overrule with direct charge. Was solved by ending navigation.
other thing: could it be that the battery is really hot? Turkey is really hot now isn’t it? Maybe the battery friendly charging wants a lower temperature?
It has the same problem with hot or cold battery.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
It has the same problem with hot or cold battery.
What I also had last week that it wouldn’t start charging with the Porsche RFID on a public charger but it did start with the Enel X card. Both card were accepted however, it just wouldn’t start charging.
Did you try another charge card?

Still wouldn’t explain why your PMC Connect doesn’t work. I have had the too a couple of times with my PMC plus but it was solved after a manual reset. It would endicate a red charger fault.

haltun

First Name
hasan altun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s 2021
Country flag
Ok. And I presume you don’t have any destination set in navigation when you park the car?
I don't have any destination set in navigation.

haltun

First Name
hasan altun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s 2021
Country flag
What I also had last week that it wouldn’t start charging with the Porsche RFID on a public charger but it did start with the Enel X card. Both card were accepted however, it just wouldn’t start charging.
Did you try another charge card?

Still wouldn’t explain why your PMC Connect doesn’t work. I have had the too a couple of times with my PMC plus but it was solved after a manual reset. It would endicate a red charger fault.
I tried with AC chargers with RFID cards or QR codes. I also have an ABB terra 22kw AC charger in my home. All have the same problem.

haltun

First Name
hasan altun
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
taycan 4s 2021
Country flag
I tried with AC chargers with RFID cards or QR codes. I also have an ABB terra 22kw AC charger in my home. All have the same problem.
But, deselect "Battery-friendly quick charging" option is working well.
Sponsored