Leight67

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S; Taycan 4s
Country flag
I've just placed my order for my Taycan 4S with pfmce battery plus - 2 questions:

Will I massively benefit from teh 22kW on board charger in the UK? and

Can I still use my Tesla home wall connector to charge the car?

Cheers
Sponsored

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
This has been discussed extensively on the forum. Since you can charge your car overnight with the standard 11 kW charger, most people feel that the 22KW charger is overkill. But if you feel you’ll have a need to charge the car more quickly than what you could do overnight, or if you will have access somewhere to 22 kW AC chargers out in the wild, then maybe you want it.

Not sure about the Tesla wall.

OP
OP

Leight67

First Name
Leighton
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S; Taycan 4s
Country flag
Thanks, I guess I am just unsure how many 22kW AC chargers there are "out in the wild"...?

Dave T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It depends on your area. You could do a search in your area with one of the charging planner apps. I’m not sure which app would be most useful for where you are. In the US, we use apps like EVgo and plugshare.

But you have to think about the likelihood that you will actually be somewhere where you need a charge. Personally, I haven’t found the need to charge anywhere but at home. Well, once I did, but that time I charged on a DC fast charger. Much much quicker than a 22 kW AC charger.

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
Only required if......

a.) you have three phase power and

b.) need to charge up in 4 hours.

I have three phase and only 11kw and it's absolutely fine, just charge overnight to 85%, job done

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
From my POV if you're you're driving long distance you're going to charging up with a DC Rapid Charger anyway in <30 minutes ideally.

Where 22kW AC comes in handy at home is when you can choose which 4 hours to want to charge up in, vs needing to have the car on charge for 10+ hours at 7kW.

This works well with things like Agile Octopus where the price per kW drops significantly in the early hours, sometimes even negative (yes - you get paid to charge your EV!!!) or Octopus Go where you can charge up between 00:30 and 04:30 every night for 5p/kWh!

Austin_yeahbaby

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, replaced my 911 ;-)
Country flag
This works well with things like Agile Octopus where the price per kW drops significantly in the early hours, sometimes even negative (yes - you get paid to charge your EV!!!) or Octopus Go where you can charge up between 00:30 and 04:30 every night for 5p/kWh!
Does anyone actually make the economics of Agile work?

You can't really get 3 phase metered in the U.K. yet as they have not rolled out Smets2 meters for 3 phase (I had one of the very 1st installs recently)

so you are mostly limited to 1 phase Smets smart meter so can you really consume enough electricity on the lower rate to offset the very expensive peak rates?

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
I've just placed my order for my Taycan 4S with pfmce battery plus - 2 questions:

Cheers
I am not in the U.K., but if you ever travel across to France you will benefit from having a 22 kW charger in the car. France unfortunately has a very bad coverage of HPC and also very thin coverage of 50 kW chargers. Since there are quite a lot of Renault Zoe here, and they use 22 kW extensively, that seems to be the norm. Only Ionity have HPC at the moment. Personally I would look at that option since the cost is quite moderate.

It is not really needed in your garage or at home since 11 kW will charge your battery overnight.

And yes if you have a Tesla Wall Connector that will charge the Taycan. You may have to set some dip switches in the Wall Connector but the benefit is that one can also charge at 22 kW if so desired!

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
From my POV if you're you're driving long distance you're going to charging up with a DC Rapid Charger anyway in <30 minutes ideally.

Where 22kW AC comes in handy at home is when you can choose which 4 hours to want to charge up in, vs needing to have the car on charge for 10+ hours at 7kW.

You can only get 22kw with 3 phase at home and the Taycan will not charge at that speed anyway so not worth it

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag

Cheers
Yes Tesla wall connector works fine with any EV, I use mine to charge the Taycan. If you have 3 phase at home then 22kw will give you a faster charging speed but if you have single phase then no point. Other than you will get 11kw on faster AC chargers as the Taycan will not charge at 22kw anyway

Scandinavian

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan T, Tesla M3P, Aston Martin DB9, Porsche 996 C4 Cab
Country flag
You can only get 22kw with 3 phase at home and the Taycan will not charge at that speed anyway so not worth it
???????
The question was if the upgrade would give the benefit of charging at 22 kW.! So why would the Taycan not charge at 22 kW if you have 3 phase, the upgrade in the car? Explain please?

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag
As per the advice above, unless you have 3-phase at home then the 11kw will be fine as when out in wild you will be using DC up to 150kw at least. I'm on a 7.3kw pod point and not expecting issues for overnight charge to 85%. Long trips will be catered for by higher power public charging.

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
You can get 22kW at home currently in the UK - i am in the process of having it installed for free, and the 22kW option has been available from December delivery onwards to take advantage of that.

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
You can get 22kW at home currently in the UK - i am in the process of having it installed for free, and the 22kW option has been available from December delivery onwards to take advantage of that.
How did you get it for free? I heard that it costs at least 10-20k for the electricity companies to install three phase, since, in many cases, you have to dig up the road. Would be great if there was a cheaper way to get three phase - not that it matters to me at the moment, unless the upgrade works for MY2020s.
Sponsored