22kW on-board AC charger - Is it needed in the UK

Sonic

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots
Country flag
How did you get it for free? I heard that it costs at least 10-20k for the electricity companies to install three phase, since, in many cases, you have to dig up the road. Would be great if there was a cheaper way to get three phase - not that it matters to me at the moment, unless the upgrade works for MY2020s.
Put an application in with your local power company. There's a new initiative i was told about where they'll cover the costs of install and the grid upgrades under a subsidy, given it's for EV use.

You'll still have costs to sort out things within your boundary, but these are trivial compared to the network and road costs you mention. They'll also want to disconnect your current single phase supply, which is a consideration.

I'm lucky as i had the driveway up anyway and have run 16mm SWA back from the garage to the house - so i can very easily have a new 3-phase meter installed by my garage, and run a phase back to the house, another to power the garages, and then a 3-phase EV charger installed.

I've also confirmed with Octopus their Agile product supports 3 phase and they can arrange for the meter to be installed once the power co have terminated and fused the supply.

Annoyingly i wrote a massive post about this a week or so back, but when i tried to save it to the forum it dissappeared :mad::CWL:
Sponsored

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Put an application in with your local power company. There's a new initiative i was told about where they'll cover the costs of install and the grid upgrades under a subsidy, given it's for EV use.

You'll still have costs to sort out things within your boundary, but these are trivial compared to the network and road costs you mention. They'll also want to disconnect your current single phase supply, which is a consideration.

I'm lucky as i had the driveway up anyway and have run 16mm SWA back from the garage to the house - so i can very easily have a new 3-phase meter installed by my garage, and run a phase back to the house, another to power the garages, and then a 3-phase EV charger installed.

I've also confirmed with Octopus their Agile product supports 3 phase and they can arrange for the meter to be installed once the power co have terminated and fused the supply.

Annoyingly i wrote a massive post about this a week or so back, but when i tried to save it to the forum it dissappeared :mad::CWL:
I had no idea about the subsidy actually making this way more affordable. Thanks for the knowledge.

robborover

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicles
Taycan 4s & Cayenne S
Country flag

Wow... interesting...

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
???????
The question was if the upgrade would give the benefit of charging at 22 kW.! So why would the Taycan not charge at 22 kW if you have 3 phase, the upgrade in the car? Explain please?
Because the Taycan will only charge at maximum of 11Kw, the charger
???????
The question was if the upgrade would give the benefit of charging at 22 kW.! So why would the Taycan not charge at 22 kW if you have 3 phase, the upgrade in the car? Explain please?
Sorry I was referring to current models without fast on board charger. Yes of course it will charge faster if you have 3 phase at home and the 22kw charger on board ?

jheard

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MXP100D. Taycan 4S
Country flag
Yes Tesla wall connector works fine with any EV, I use mine to charge the Taycan. If you have 3 phase at home then 22kw will give you a faster charging speed but if you have single phase then no point. Other than you will get 11kw on faster AC chargers as the Taycan will not charge at 22kw anyway
Bottom line the costs of installing 3 phase are rarely worth it at home on the basis that most people charge between 20% and 90% overnight and 7kw charging will happily do this overnight. 3 phase might be fully charged by 3am rather than 6am but unless you want it fully charged while your still in bed what's the point.

Duc959

First Name
FR
Threads
Reaction score
Website
share.octopus.energy
Vehicles
RR Vogue Autobiography, Ducati Panigale V2
Country flag
Most chargers in Scotland are 22kwh. Unfortunately I chose to skip the option so that I would get my car this year. As 22kwh option cars are next year delivery
Sponsored