22KW On board charger - retrofit ?

103 CR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo , Toyota Landcruiser Amazon 4.2
Country flag
22KW on board chargers are few and far between on built cars having only been available from MY21 .
I heard a retrofit for this option was coming but dealers seem to know nothing about it .
Does anyone know if this is possible and when/ if it is to be made available as a retrofit ?
Sponsored

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
I don't have the details about the retrofit specifically, but I can say (having had a 22KW replaced twice – on my third one) that Porsche Centre do not consider the removal and installation of one to be a "big job". It takes around four hours labour to perform the task.

Attached are the general steps.

Attachments

OP
OP

103 CR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Thank you . May I ask why you are on your third one ? I mean obviously , the first two were faulty but why do they keep failing / need replacing ?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the first two were faulty but why do they keep failing / need replacing ?
That is currently a mystery that Porsche themselves don't know – they are still analysing the failed units back in Germany.

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
The original rumour was Dec'21 but tread carefully given @tigerbalm and his experience. It just seems to be something that wasn't properly thought through or tested unfortunately.

OP
OP

103 CR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is currently a mystery that Porsche themselves don't know – they are still analysing the failed units back in Germany.
Tigerbalm , Was your first 22kw charger on the original build or retrofitted ?
does anyone know of the 22kw chargers are reliable ? Anyone else had any problems with theirs ?

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Tigerbalm , Was your first 22kw charger on the original build or retrofitted ?
It was part of my original spec from the factory. I don't think any Taycan has ever had an AC charger retrofit upgrade yet.

Others – on this forum and in real world – have had failures of 22KW charger – but to the best of my knowledge I am the only one who had two back-to-back failures. They were also subject to a global recall campaign shortly after becoming a factory option. So many would have had theirs replaced even though they didn't fail. My first replacement – which had failed – was done as part of that campaign.

OP
OP

103 CR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It was part of my original spec from the factory. I don't think any Taycan has ever had an AC charger retrofit upgrade yet.

Others – on this forum and in real world – have had failures of 22KW charger – but to the best of my knowledge I am the only one who had two back-to-back failures. They were also subject to a global recall campaign shortly after becoming a factory option. So many would have had theirs replaced even though they didn't fail. My first replacement – which had failed – was done as part of that campaign.
thank you for taking the time to give the history - that is really useful to know . When your 22kw charger failed , did your car default to 11kw charging ? Were your other charging capabilities unaffected ?

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
gentle reminder : for north america unless you specifically have access to 19.2 kw chargers (in your home or at work) the 22kw charger is virtually never going to see any action

it’s very very low frequency benefit

non-North American markets this is a way way way more useful option.

Last edited:

Boss Hogg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4S, 981 GT4
Country flag
Only had my car 2 weeks but the 22kW charger works great, use it a lot, have installed 6x 22kW chargers at our work car park.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
thank you for taking the time to give the history - that is really useful to know . When your 22kw charger failed , did your car default to 11kw charging ? Were your other charging capabilities unaffected ?
1st time: AC charging wouldn't work; DC was okay
2nd time: Neither AC or DC charging worked; car sat at 4% battery level in Porsche Centre for six weeks waiting on the part.

My car is six months old this week - for three of those months I had impaired charging.

The journey is told on this thread: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/i-have-the-22kw-ac-charger-installed-anyways.4023/
Sponsored