22kw upgrade concern appearing on porsche car configurator.

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Just about to lock in the final spec for my CT 4S. I had specced the 22kw on board AC charger. However, i just noticed porsche have finally got around to adding more details (on all options) on this upgrade. A little concerned to see they recommend you to keep the 11kw standard if you only have 1 phase electricity at home (like me and most in the UK) and if you do chose the upgrade (£1200) then limit it to 25a/6kw to protect it from wearing out.
Dealer told me it was a good upgrade to future proof car and benefit from 22kw charging stations at hotels/shooping centres etc. No mention (they probably didn't know) of the downsides.

Any one have some thoughts please?

This is from the info window on the configurator:
Optional On-Board AC Charger to increase maximum charging power when charging with three-phase AC up to 22kW and to shorten the charging time.

Please note that for single-phase charging (up to 7kW) the standard on-board charger is recommended.

To increase the lifetime of the 22kW on-board charger, when charging from a single-phase power supply, it is recommended to limit maximum power to 25A (6kW).
Sponsored

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Hmm, interesting. Also have the 22kW added for destination benefits and road trips off the beaten track. I've only got single phase at home at present, but certainly don't charge every day. Would be more useful to understand what frequency of 7.4kW charging they are talking about. Can we limit it to 6kW from the Taycan side as its one thing throttling my home charge point but what about single phase destination chargers?

@tigerbalm , you got any insight into this having a 22kW unit?

gdavison

First Name
Graeme
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne E-Hybrid, Boxster GTS
Country flag
I noticed that warning appear about a month or so a go ... I decided to not spec the 22KW option as my home charging is 7kw and TBH I will be doing the lions share of charging at that, so taking a 1/7 hit on most charging would be a concern. With regard to "future proofing" a spec .. IMVHO DC charging is the future proof option and as time goes by we will see most in the wild charging solutions either upgrading to a DC option (its cheaper tech / less complex / costs less to maintain etc) or the sub 22kw AC units become "clogged" with the lower end other OEM vehicles which do not have the luxury of faster DC charging and you end up Q'ing for a low charge rate

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
That's nuts. I wasn't aware of this at all – and have a somewhat tortured (https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/threads/i-have-the-22kw-ac-charger-installed-anyways.4023/) experience with it.

Does this advice retrospectively apply to MY21 cars like mine?

What I can say is that I too do most of my charging on single phase ~7kW – at night during half-price electricity period.

Porsche really don't make picking this option easy, do they? There are so many times that I valued the charing rate and I do use it – especially here in more remote villages in Ireland that have 1000+ public AC charge points at 3-phase 22kW.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
The fact they are willing to put this on the configurator means there is something to it. "Increase lifetime" of charger is so vague though. At this rate, I think these things should be coming with a warranty as long as the battery.

This is relatively old tech – where are VW/Porsche buying their AC chargers from ?

Last edited:

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I noticed that warning appear about a month or so a go ... I decided to not spec the 22KW option as my home charging is 7kw and TBH I will be doing the lions share of charging at that, so taking a 1/7 hit on most charging would be a concern. With regard to "future proofing" a spec .. IMVHO DC charging is the future proof option and as time goes by we will see most in the wild charging solutions either upgrading to a DC option (its cheaper tech / less complex / costs less to maintain etc) or the sub 22kw AC units become "clogged" with the lower end other OEM vehicles which do not have the luxury of faster DC charging and you end up Q'ing for a low charge rate
The fact they are willing to put this on the configurator means there is something to it. "Increase lifetime" of charge is so vague though. At this rate, I think these things should be coming with a warranty as long as the battery.

This is relatively old tech – where are VW/Porsche buying their AC chargers from ?
Yes I agree, no smoke without fire! What they actually mean is it will wear it out quickly, but how quickly. I'm hoping it's not too late to remove it from my spec and hope it doesn't put the delivery date back again.

It seemed like a no-brain option until this appeared.

Thanks for your thoughts on it.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Certainly no option for that in my MY21 car.
I've mailed contact Porsche and copied my dealer, not holding my breath but worth a try. Its an option I'd really like to keep for many of the same reasons as yourself and I don't agree with the everything will be DC argument. 22kW is so much cheaper and easier to add in rural and remote areas and a much better option for those half day car park stays.

I've also mailed AndersenEV. When I first got my PM1 (since discontinued I think) back in 2019 you cold log into the Konnect website and set the charge rate yourself between three options. I'd happily set it to ~6kW for general use ..so long as I could flip it to 7.4 if needed that extra.

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
This is really interesting. I saw this thread and wanted to check if there were any notes for the 19.2kW, and there aren’t, presumably because it’s only single phase in all cases, so no distinction to make.

Still, I would expect the 22kW to be able to handle the same current (32amps) on single phase as three phase.

I’m interested to see if anyone ends up finding more information.

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
My porsche dealer just called, and it was news to them. He will come back next week when he's spoken to his technical dept. I will update if they say anything of consequence. Fortunately he confirmed I've still a few days left to amend my order, which i think i probably will.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Strange. Nothing is mentioned in the Dutch, German and Belgian configurator.

Should this be interpreted as: if you are primarily charging at 7 kw don’t buy the 22 kw charger 11 kw is enough? The second part is clearer.

I just ordered a CT 4 and also ordered a 22 kw charger. Like mentioned a couple of times by others. I want the best possible charging. Like when I am parked for 4 hours somewhere and 22 kw is available I can do a full charge in stead of half. Or if I happen to be in Italy and I can’t find a SC, I can still charge half the battery in 2 hours. Two hours is still ok(ish).

at home I have 3 fase 230 V and I will install a 11 kw charger outside on the driveway. To charge when I get home from a Lloret trip. I plan to plug it in at night in my garage and charge to 80% with the standard evse on 220 this is only 2,3 kw if I am correct. This should be enough to charge my normal daily use. Probably I will change this after owning the car for a couple of weeks.

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Strange. Nothing is mentioned in the Dutch, German and Belgian configurator.

Should this be interpreted as: if you are primarily charging at 7 kw don’t buy the 22 kw charger 11 kw is enough? The second part is clearer.

I just ordered a CT 4 and also ordered a 22 kw charger. Like mentioned a couple of times by others. I want the best possible charging. Like when I am parked for 4 hours somewhere and 22 kw is available I can do a full charge in stead of half. Or if I happen to be in Italy and I can’t find a SC, I can still charge half the battery in 2 hours. Two hours is still ok(ish).

at home I have 3 fase 230 V and I will install a 11 kw charger outside on the driveway. To charge when I get home from a Lloret trip. I plan to plug it in at night in my garage and charge to 80% with the standard evse on 220 this is only 2,3 kw if I am correct. This should be enough to charge my normal daily use. Probably I will change this after owning the car for a couple of weeks.
"Should this be interpreted as: if you are primarily charging at 7 kw don’t buy the 22 kw charger 11 kw" - yes, i think so. Clearly it means you lose a lot of benefit when away from home though.

If you have 3 phase at home, then it sounds like having the 22kw onboard charger will not be a problem and give you the most flexibility - until they announce using 11kw through 3 phase is bad as well of course!

It will be interesting if the dealership get a detailed answer from the manufacturer on what the best thing to do is. But i imagine the reply will be very vague and non specific about impact on lifetime etc. Hopefully I will be proved wrong.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
"Should this be interpreted as: if you are primarily charging at 7 kw don’t buy the 22 kw charger 11 kw" - yes, i think so. Clearly it means you lose a lot of benefit when away from home though.

If you have 3 phase at home, then it sounds like having the 22kw onboard charger will not be a problem and give you the most flexibility - until they announce using 11kw through 3 phase is bad as well of course!

It will be interesting if the dealership get a detailed answer from the manufacturer on what the best thing to do is. But i imagine the reply will be very vague and non specific about impact on lifetime etc. Hopefully I will be proved wrong.
Yeah, not that hopeful but will see. Perhaps @tigerbalm may have some luck given they've only just pointed this out well after he bought his. If AndersenEV come back and re-enable user selection of charge rate then I'll stick with the 22kW option. Charging it home isn't much of an issue for me at a slightly slower rate. But being able to add a worthwhile amount in 2 or 3 hours on the move at a destination/car park etc is golden.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I have a Zappi V2 charger at home and have just set it to pull from the supply gird a maximum of 25A (6kW) down from the previous 30A (7.4kW) based on this info.

I feel like I am being a little reactive, but this reduction won't have that much impact on me – at least until we collectively try and find out more concrete info from our various routes into Porsche.

Before dropping the charger down to 25A maximum device limit, it had been running at 31.8A.

Porsche Taycan 22kw upgrade concern appearing on porsche car configurator. IMG_5601
Sponsored

Last edited: