22kw upgrade concern appearing on porsche car configurator.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo S, Fiat 500 EV
Country flag
PS> Here is the Taycan charger, for those interested
And here is a real-world picture of the unit: https://www.taycanforum.com/forum/t...-on-porsche-car-configurator.7728/post-147373

After all this time, knowing that the problem exists, Porsche has not only not solved the problem, but not even figured out a way to limit the single phase charging via software or at least on the newly built cars.
Agreed, they are very slow to fix. From my conversations – I can definitely confirm the right people at Porsche are super aware of the issue.

Btw> there is a lower level of the standard 11kW chargers that are needing replacement too – about 0.5% of units – but nowhere near the rate of the optional 22kW unit.

AC charging is an old technology – supported since the first electric vehicles became available.

My hunch – with no information backing this up – is we're seeing a challenge based on the new 800V architecture of this car.

It would be interesting to understand if the Audi e-Tron GT and the newer 800V Kia/Hyundai's end up with any charging issues.
Sponsored

backslashed

First Name
Gabriel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S Cross Turismo
Country flag
I do have a fancy travel charger that allows me control the power – however, in most destination charger situations I am using the hotel's Type 2 AC charger – not a regular or industrial outlet. Many hotels in Ireland have dedicated EV chargers at this stage and that is what I am referring to.

Examples:

IMG_5334.jpeg

IMG_0005.jpeg

IMG_9881.jpeg
Ok I see what you mean. And these are single phase? Wow. I live in Romania and I always thought that everyone else is ahead of us :) In your case then it’s definitely not good to get the 22kW on your new Turbo based on everything you’ve learned. It can always be retrofitted later from what I gather.

Thanks again for all the good detail. It will be super handy to many.

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
My hunch – with no information backing this up – is we're seeing a challenge based on the new 800V architecture of this car.
Maybe, but honestly there isn't that much difference. I am not even 100% sure that the charger is in fact natively 800V, since there is a 50KW (optional 150KW) voltage booster in every Taycan which allows the car to charge from 400V source (it's a charge pump which doubles the voltage), so they absolutely could use a 400V AC charger if they wanted to (though it would require thicker wiring from the charger to the booster). Even if it is a native 800V charger, there really isn't much new technology converting a 240VAC->400VDC design to an 240AC->800VAC design.

It would be interesting to understand if the Audi e-Tron GT and the newer 800V Kia/Hyundai's end up with any charging issues.
In the US Audi uses the very same part numbers for the HV chargers, so if in EU they also use the same parts, I would expect the same problem. HOWEVER it is possible that Audi has a way to limit the charge rate on single phase, which would provide a temporary solution. Audi does have different software than the Taycan.

Last edited:

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I don't think so.
This is an interesting point. Porsche put out a press release indicating that it will be possible.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...are-update-for-first-taycan-models-23911.html

Porsche Taycan 22kw upgrade concern appearing on porsche car configurator. Screenshot 2022-04-17 at 11.08.23

However, I don't believe that has ever been mentioned again or is currently possible.

I asked if my car could be "downgraded" from 22kW to 11kW and that was explored but turned out to not be possible due to wiring loom differences in the 22kW spec'd car.

Will be interesting if a retrofit is ever mentioned again – I suspect they have enough on their plate with this option right now.

Last edited:

whitex

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Taycan TCT, 2024 Q8 eTron P+
Country flag
This is an interesting point. Porsche put out a press release indicating that it will be possible.

https://newsroom.porsche.com/en/202...are-update-for-first-taycan-models-23911.html

Screenshot 2022-04-17 at 11.08.23.png

However, I don't believe that has ever been mentioned again or is currently possible.

I asked if my car could be "downgraded" from 22kW to 11kW and that was explored but turned out to not be possible due to wiring loom differences in the 22kW spec'd car.

Will be interesting if a retrofit is every mentioned again – I suspect they have enough on their plate with this option right now.
I would think downgrade should be much easier than an upgrade. Wiring designed for 22KW should be easily able to handle half the power (at same voltage). Perhaps the connectors to the charger are different and Porsche techs are not qualified to swap connectors? Or it could be that since upgrade would require new wiring, someone automatically assumed downgrade would also require a new wiring harness?

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
Full power on 3-phase is acceptable. 25A on 1-phase is the current recommendation. My issue is that I destination charge a lot and cannot control what hotels/chargers will supply me with – therefore triggering the chargers weakness.

Sounds like you plan on mostly charging on a 3-phase you control – I suspect you'll be just fine.
What I don’t understand is why 3x32A is ok but 1x32A isn’t? Any ideas?

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S and Fiat 500e La Prima
Country flag
Ah well, it was good whilst it lasted. My 22kw charger has now gone too. So many unreliable parts on this car. For personal reasons I need a much more reliable car than this one is proving to be. Time to look at options sadly.

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
Ah well, it was good whilst it lasted. My 22kw charger has now gone too. So many unreliable parts on this car. For personal reasons I need a much more reliable car than this one is proving to be. Time to look at options sadly.
Bummer. How old is your car and did you do a lot of 7kw charging?

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Bummer. How old is your car and did you do a lot of 7kw charging?
6 Months old tomorrow. Approximately 2/3 of charging at home on 7kw, rest at fast DC (just due to the nature of my journey profile v available range). The Indra pro charger doesn’t permit a dialling down of the output (at least not readily by the user, as far as I am aware) and the Taycan doesn’t either so it’s a fait accompli.

Sadly, this is just the latest in a long line of problems, many small, some not so much (It’s been in a dozen times in under 6 months). It’s nearly abandoned me half a dozen times at public chargers with port issues and it’s not good enough that the advice is to turn it off, walk away and come back 15 minutes later. I can’t use the car for anything where time is a critical factor so I’m using the train more than ever before. Perhaps that’s where it’s environmentally winning!

For lots of reasons I’m effectively “on call” for some stuff for the next few months and the ”will it/won’t it” nature of the Taycan means I can’t rely upon it so I’m going to seek to get out of it and go back to ICE.

gordietbh

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4, 911 C2, Mk2 Golf, Mk1 Jetta Coupe
Country flag
The Indra pro charger doesn’t permit a dialling down of the output (at least not readily by the user, as far as I am aware) and the Taycan doesn’t either so it’s a fait accompli.
This answers the question I was going to ask...so there's definately no way of reducing KW via the car?

I have a CT4 with the 22kw option arriving later today but I only have a 7kw charger at the moment, I am having 2 x 22kw chargers installed but there is a shortage of them at the moment so they won't be able to be installed until late June.

So am I correct in thinking the only way to get around the problem for now would be to replace the RCBO on the board from 32a to 25a?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
6 Months old tomorrow. Approximately 2/3 of charging at home on 7kw, rest at fast DC (just due to the nature of my journey profile v available range). The Indra pro charger doesn’t permit a dialling down of the output (at least not readily by the user, as far as I am aware) and the Taycan doesn’t either so it’s a fait accompli.

Sadly, this is just the latest in a long line of problems, many small, some not so much (It’s been in a dozen times in under 6 months). It’s nearly abandoned me half a dozen times at public chargers with port issues and it’s not good enough that the advice is to turn it off, walk away and come back 15 minutes later. I can’t use the car for anything where time is a critical factor so I’m using the train more than ever before. Perhaps that’s where it’s environmentally winning!

For lots of reasons I’m effectively “on call” for some stuff for the next few months and the ”will it/won’t it” nature of the Taycan means I can’t rely upon it so I’m going to seek to get out of it and go back to ICE.
If you charged at 7kW at home for ⅓ of the time and DC for the rest why have the 22kW option in the first place (no excuse for it being unreliable)?

Did you also not try the EVSE supplied with your car (PMC+) which can be dialed down?

W1NGE

First Name
Adrian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST, Macan T
Country flag
This answers the question I was going to ask...so there's definately no way of reducing KW via the car?

I have a CT4 with the 22kw option arriving later today but I only have a 7kw charger at the moment, I am having 2 x 22kw chargers installed but there is a shortage of them at the moment so they won't be able to be installed until late June.

So am I correct in thinking the only way to get around the problem for now would be to replace the RCBO on the board from 32a to 25a?
Yep no flow control from the car and via EVSE only. Std PMC+ or PMCC (and suitable non Porsche brands).

MrB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you charged at 7kW at home for ⅓ of the time and DC for the rest why have the 22kW option in the first place (no excuse for it being unreliable)?

Did you also not try the EVSE supplied with your car (PMC+) which can be dialed down?
Because of the amount of away from home travel I do, to provide me with as much flexibility as possible and because it wasn’t flagged as unreliable on a 7kw single phase supply when the car was specified.

As to the second question, no, as I have no facility to plug that in where my EVSE has been placed by the lease company despite my asking if it might be possible to daisy chain it to a 32amp commando socket. Moreover though, and as you point out, there’s no excuse for the unreliability of it and Porsche’s defensive posture of “dial down your supply” seems perfectly in keeping with their “turn it off and on again” philosophy.

It’s just not really good enough for the money and, in my case, it’s causing me issues in other areas of my life now.

tigerbalm

First Name
Damien
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That 7kW power delivery into 22kW charger feeling. These days I actually position the car in such a way that it will be easier to load onto a flat-bed if it goes pop!

Still all good so far ... and charging facilities at Irish hotels continue to improve.

Porsche Taycan 22kw upgrade concern appearing on porsche car configurator. IMG_0695
Sponsored