22kw upgrade concern appearing on porsche car configurator.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
I have not optioned this and having owned an EV for a few years now I don't think there is a great deal of value in it, I've never needed it or missed out in three years of EV ownership. Reasons for me:

-> If you doing long journeys then its always going to be CCS
-> Most destination chargers I've ever used are 7kw at best, often 3kw and with the former, that should be good to get you up to 80%
-> I'd be more worried about the absence of chargers than the speed. Most hotels I've been at have 2 available if they have one at all
-> 99% of home properties are single phase so wouldn't benefit from this and that is not likely to change (maybe new build properties but I doubt it)
-> The future proof argument, well, I think that a change in battery technology to SS is more likely to be disruptive than worrying about the 22kw AC charger
-> Given the above, I doubt many people will keep a Taycan much beyond 4-5 years because as soon as you can get an EV with half (or less) the battery weight whilst at a minimum keeping the same range, who is going to want the current models.
I have 3 fase 380v at home and a 22 Kw charger. I have stayed in 3 hotels in France and Switzerland the last few days and all had 22 kw chargers. I am going to Austria next week and the town we are staying has several public chargers and all 22 Kw, no charger at the hotel. Lots (most) of public chargers I see in cities in The Netherlands Belgium, France, Switzerland, Italy are 22 Kw. To me this is a big advantage. I can charge it during dinner 2-3 hours and take it back to the hotel parking. Or just charge it during a city trip. But the situation may be different in the UK?
Sponsored

sbarker108

First Name
Stuart
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Performance; TS on order
Country flag
I have 3 fase 380v at home and a 22 Kw charger. I have stayed in 3 hotels in France and Switzerland the last few days and all had 22 kw chargers. I am going to Austria next week and the town we are staying has several public chargers and all 22 Kw, no charger at the hotel. Lots (most) of public chargers I see in cities in The Netherlands Belgium, France, Switzerland, Italy are 22 Kw. To me this is a big advantage. I can charge it during dinner 2-3 hours and take it back to the hotel parking. Or just charge it during a city trip. But the situation may be different in the UK?
Lets not forget the guy is based in the UK so his experience of 22KW chargers is more likely to align with my experience being a fellow UK citizen. If the above is the position in countries he intends to travel to regularly then yes, it would be worthwhile. If however he is sticking in and around London or just the UK in general, I personally wouldn't bother.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT since 8th April 22
Country flag
I have not optioned this and having owned an EV for a few years now I don't think there is a great deal of value in it, I've never needed it or missed out in three years of EV ownership. Reasons for me:

-> If you doing long journeys then its always going to be CCS
-> Most destination chargers I've ever used are 7kw at best, often 3kw and with the former, that should be good to get you up to 80%
-> I'd be more worried about the absence of chargers than the speed. Most hotels I've been at have 2 available if they have one at all
-> 99% of home properties are single phase so wouldn't benefit from this and that is not likely to change (maybe new build properties but I doubt it)
-> The future proof argument, well, I think that a change in battery technology to SS is more likely to be disruptive than worrying about the 22kw AC charger
-> Given the above, I doubt many people will keep a Taycan much beyond 4-5 years because as soon as you can get an EV with half (or less) the battery weight whilst at a minimum keeping the same range, who is going to want the current models.
Funnily enough, none of my charges were 22kW ..until I got a car with a 22kW charger. It does of course depend on both your journey profile and your plans to travel. Ireland, good contingency in many parts of the highlands and certainly a ton of locations in Europe. I do, or plan to, visit those areas so got the 22kW. Essential, no, very helpful yes. Since having it I’ve found it it of use in more mainstream scenarios, I can be charged in half a day marking it ideal for day trips (quick enough to not need a DC stop, slow enough not to have to rush back to the car to move it for a half day parking). It even makes it worth bothering plugging in at Tesco if the bay is free for a 30 min shop.

Aways be charging as Electric Felix says, so maximum flexibility works for me, beauty of the options list.

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I had a recollection (need to search) the software update was for a “harmonic” resolution - is this the root cause of the failures seen or something else?

Perhaps @tigerbalm could clue us in based on his discussions with the Porsche hierarchy over the issue?

[been tracking this thread with interest, as my order goes in to lock this month and I have spec’d this item - saving grace is that I have charge on 3-phase AC when home/work and mostly use a mixture of 50 kW and above DC on extended trips.]
I had my OPC tracking this since last November (I still ordered it and had my home unit set to 24A). I pushed hard on the harmonic update and has it confirmed back on email that it resolved the issue (Though I see @MrB has had a failure since…). I’m back at 32A single phase at home so , given my Panoramic roof cracked after 9 days, my replacement Panoramic roof cracked before it even left the dealer forecourt, if the harmonic fix hasn’t resolved the single phase after all……it will fail fast on mine 😂😭🤬

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I had my OPC tracking this since last November (I still ordered it and had my home unit set to 24A). I pushed hard on the harmonic update and has it confirmed back on email that it resolved the issue (Though I see @MrB has had a failure since…). I’m back at 32A single phase at home so , given my Panoramic roof cracked after 9 days, my replacement Panoramic roof cracked before it even left the dealer forecourt, if the harmonic fix hasn’t resolved the single phase after all……it will fail fast on mine 😂😭🤬
Did you get it done as a separate recall or was it included in the new big pcm one do you know?

batteredhaddock

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Did you get it done as a separate recall or was it included in the new big pcm one do you know?
I had it done as the dedicated recall about a month ago, then flipped my home charge back to 32A. I’ve since had the uPdate done (which from what I’ve heard on this forum, does roll that update up into it) whilst they were fitting my patented self cracking roof #2 just before I head to the only part of the UK is actually raining for the next two weeks…

OP
OP
BigBob

BigBob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4S, Range Rover Sport
Country flag
I had it done as the dedicated recall about a month ago, then flipped my home charge back to 32A. I’ve since had the uPdate done (which from what I’ve heard on this forum, does roll that update up into it) whilst they were fitting my patented self cracking roof #2 just before I head to the only part of the UK is actually raining for the next two weeks…
Shame they couldn’t have popped it out for the last month or so. The only Taycan targa in the country.

McgR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT 4
Country flag
Lets not forget the guy is based in the UK so his experience of 22KW chargers is more likely to align with my experience being a fellow UK citizen. If the above is the position in countries he intends to travel to regularly then yes, it would be worthwhile. If however he is sticking in and around London or just the UK in general, I personally wouldn't bother.
Everyone’s situation is different. For the potential Taycan owners it valuable to know every pro and con for an option and chose for them selves. His and my opinion are both correct depending on the specific needs and localization, like you mentioned. Taking it for road trips requires different options than staying around a big city. Btw if not leaving the city maybe a Mini / Fiat 500 electric would be a good choice too. Been deiving. Around lake Como and Como city the last days. I see why small cars are popular around here!
Sponsored