TaycanNut

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ferrari California
Country flag
When I optioned out my Turbo S to what I wanted I was at $230K. It made me think, do I pay $230K for the Taycan or do I order the $200K Tesla Roadster, plus some options for let's say the same $230K?

I suspended my order. I don't know what to do.

Looking for some opinions to help me decide.
Sponsored

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche: Taycan R; Tesla: orig Roadster, X, new roadster reserved
Country flag
When I optioned out my Turbo S to what I wanted I was at $230K. It made me think, do I pay $230K for the Taycan or do I order the $200K Tesla Roadster, plus some options for let's say the same $230K?

Already ordered the 2020 roadster.... but its going to be a while before it is available so the Taycan is a stopgap and will be very good trade-in value for my roadster...…. :)

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
They're not even remotely similar cars? It's like cancelling your Panamera Turbo S order for a 911 Turbo S... If you are in the market for a 2 seater, why would you even consider the Taycan? (Other than for HOV stickers for a year?)

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag

super skeptical a similarly optioned Roadster clocks in at less than $300K. To hit $230K on a taycan you had to buy the most expensive everything. That in a roadster is going to be a lot more than $200k. Elon has already said the base model won’t do 0-60 in 1.9. The options on the 2008 roadster weren’t especially cheap either.

it won’t be available until 2021 or 2022.

nobody knows how it handles yet, or how much it weighs. My biggest knock on Tesla is the handling and braking do not feel good. Good = high end sports car. I like to think they fix this for a car that can go 250mph but nobody knows yet.

I have no doubt it’ll be amazing. But it’s also a different class of vehicle, and it’s tough to compare vaporware with an actual product. Hopefully we get some more nuggets soon, maybe after the truck event this week.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Already ordered the 2020 roadster.... but its going to be a while before it is available so the Taycan is a stopgap and will be very good trade-in value for my roadster...…. :)
is it so wrong to want both ?

JC Mann

First Name
JC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayman S, Tesla Model S
Country flag
They're not even remotely similar cars? It's like cancelling your Panamera Turbo S order for a 911 Turbo S... If you are in the market for a 2 seater, why would you even consider the Taycan? (Other than for HOV stickers for a year?)
Flash! Tesla Roadster is a 2+2. In other words, 4 seats - just like Taycan. But it does have only 2 doors, though.

charliemathilde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Flash! Tesla Roadster is a 2+2. In other words, 4 seats - just like Taycan. But it does have only 2 doors, though.
it’s not 100% clear it’s still a 2+2 if the top is down. It gets stowed in the trunk, maybe with the rear seats folded down. Elon has also stated some configurations will not be 2+2. The compressed air jets will replace the back seat. It’s tough to compare a real product to a concept car.

other than “super cool fast EV” the cars don’t have a lot in common. The taycan is closer to a panamera and the roadster is closer to a spyder.

Rollep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo, BMW i3
Country flag
911 is also a 2+2 but I would definitely not call it a 4 seater. Taycan has 4 seats you can actually use. I doubt very much that the rooster will have 4 usable seats, but I guess we'll find out in maybe 3-4 years time.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
is it so wrong to want both ?
You’re right...... I might keep both.... time will tell. :)

and to some other comments here I do agree they are or the same car but for my use case the smaller option with 2 ovation all seats might be a better solution since I mostly drive alone...... :)

Vim Schrotnock

First Name
Vim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTB1 Race Cayman, Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
If you haven't ordered a Taycan Turbo S already, you probably won't get one until 2021 or later, so that should figure into your decision. By then you would assume Porsche is out of backorder and you'll know a lot more about the roadster, so I'd delay.

felixtb

First Name
felix
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
If you haven't ordered a Taycan Turbo S already, you probably won't get one until 2021 or later, so that should figure into your decision. By then you would assume Porsche is out of backorder and you'll know a lot more about the roadster, so I'd delay.
if the comment is for me..... I am the first in Switzerland on both....... what, and now when, ever that means ...... :)

Friedrich

First Name
Friedrich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Future: 2020 Porsche Taycan, 2022 Tesla Y; Current: Boxster S, Acura MDX; Past: 66 VW Beetle, 82 Porsche SC Targa, 91 Acura NSX, 98 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2002 Porsche Carrera Cabr, 2004 Porsche Cayenne S
Country flag

Get the Tesla Cybertruck if you are confused.....It will have 500-600 mile range, 2.9 seconds 0-60 and only $69,000. Oh, its nothing like the Taycan, just like the Roadster :giggle::giggle:
...just teasing....but as previous poster said, deciding between a Taycan and Roadster is like deciding between an 911 and a Panamera......they aren't even in the same category of vehicle type. Yes, Taycan and Roadster are both electric but that's where the comparison should end.

Before you spend that much money, you need to decide what type of car you want, THEN spend the money. My advice is to wait until you know what type of car you want and what will be the purpose of the vehicle. You might want to wait till the new Tesla Model S Plaid comes out.....that is a car that will compare to the Taycan....NOT the Roadster.
Sponsored