Matt-Taycan

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne T Coupe, Macan GTS, Taycan GTS
Country flag
I'm currently running down a full charge of this GTS ST Demonstrator. Figured I'd share some thoughts...

Porsche Taycan 24 hours with a Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (Coffee Beige Metallic) IMG_5578

Porsche Taycan 24 hours with a Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (Coffee Beige Metallic) FC971AAB-77E7-4565-B898-7D50F110C0A4L0001

Porsche Taycan 24 hours with a Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (Coffee Beige Metallic) IMG_5572

Porsche Taycan 24 hours with a Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (Coffee Beige Metallic) IMG_5557

Porsche Taycan 24 hours with a Taycan GTS Sport Turismo (Coffee Beige Metallic) IMG_5569

Coffee Beige Metallic by the way... IMO probably the worst of all the colours but still not terrible in bright sunshine. Sometimes dealerships have to have what Porsche HQ makes them have.

A few thoughts but in no particular order:

As you can see from the pics the Model Designation has been left off and we have the Carbon Design Pack. Seems a lot of Demonstrators have arrived like this for some reason. Strange to de-GTS a GTS. Personally, i want as much GTS identification as possible. The rear badge and GTS logo on the side skirts matter to me. However, if possible I would 100% spec the Carbon Front Splitter on its own. I much prefer this Turbo-style front but hate the CT style changes it makes to the rear diffuser so will go without the Carbon Styling Pack.

RS Spyder Wheels. Love them. Was always having them. The metal is not protected by the rubber of the tyre with the Pirrellis. Watch out for those magnetic curbs.
Black Brake Callipers. Depends entirely on the external colour. The standard Red Callipers would of course look shocking with the Coffee so the Black upgrade makes sense here. Rear Brakes do look kinda small inside the RS Spyders but would upgrading make much of an improvement..!?

Charging Flaps. For myself, I have confirmed that I'll be more going with the Manual Flaps. Electric is definitely cool but really not necessary. The open air-curtain wheel arch vents do definitely collect stones though so the mesh modification would be on the top of my to-do list

Ride Height. Low is LOW. Encountered a few speed humps that I can usually breeze over but definitely had to raise the height. No problem though. A doddle with the single button on the main Dash Display.

Factory PPF. DO NOT SPEC!!!! Have seen a lot of showroom Taycans with the front PPF. The quality of the installation on them all has been terrible. They're templates with very few rolled edges. I've seen lots of lifting and crinkled edges. Save the cash and have it done 3rd party upon delivery.

GTS Interior v's Standard Race-Tex. The GTS Interior is Very Nice and IMO worth the extra cash over the Standard Race-Tex. The little details such as the stitching, Head Rests, seat belts and Carbon accents etc make enough of a difference and lift the cabin just enough. The Race-Tex isn't really Black either so the cabin feels a little brighter than a Plain Black Leather for example. I will be having the GTS Interior.

B-Pillar Race-Tex. All in honesty the B-Pillar isn't as offensive as I was expecting. I will spec the Race-Tex but I did definitely notice myself rubbing against the plastic occasionally as I climbed in and out. It's a LOW car and you really do drop low into the seats. Shall take more care in my own car of course ;) don't want to be scuffing the Race-Tex

GTS Sport Sound. Of course the sound is pretty cool! A must-have at low speeds. However, i did find it annoying on the Motorway. I would definitely be shortcutting to the option for easy toggling On\Off

Head-Up Display. Was convinced i'd be having this option. However, having now experienced it first hand, it's a no from me. It works perfectly fine, is plenty clear and bright enough and provides exactly the information you'd expect it to. However, in the Taycan, the layout of the Main Dash basically duplicates the same important pieces of information immediately below the Head-Up image. Your eyes really don't have to go searching for it. Maybe if it were a £500 option i'd go for it based on the preferred look of the dash but for around £1200, i'll go without.

Pano Roof. I think still a no from me. I'm never in the rear and passengers are a very rare occurrence too. The Pano Roof would also mess with my thoughts for exterior aesthetics/PPF plans i have in mind.
It did do an impressive job of filtering out the bright sunshine of yesterday though. Surprised me.

PCM. No coloured icons, so I'm assuming the old version. No issues with it but its definitely a little sluggish.
Have had very little use with many of the functions so can't comment on much.

Passenger Display. Exactly the same as the Charging Flaps. Pretty cool but entirely unnecessary. It's a No.

Comfort Access. I've often left this option off previous cars for Anti-Theft reasons, so very used to not having it. My 24 hours of use are no true test but I did find the car unlocking itself on a few occasions as I walked around and away from it, after having locked it. I'm sure this is just user error

Ride Quality. Superb!!! I'm sure some are wondering if the GTS may be a little rigid. I can confirm it definitely is not. Even on the RS Spyders. The ride is excellent! Normal is positively luxurious (more comfortable than our Bentley Continental GT) and Sport is perfectly acceptable for daily driving. Only in Sport Plus do you start to question "is that a little too firm"

Performance. Exactly as you'd expect! Ridiculous! More than anyone ever needs. Too much at times. Other cars getting in the way all too quickly :)
(will try some 0-60 before i take it back today)

Battery Regen/"Engine" Breaking. This function doesn't actually offer any harvesting until after 1000 miles. However, you do still get the effects and benefits of breaking from it from day one. Without it on I find the Taycan coasts too freely and requires a lot of manual breaking. I'm very used to using paddle shifts for breaking. It's strange not having paddles, so the Re-gen breaking compensates for this quite successfully, holding the car back when off the "gas"

3 Pin Plug Charging. A lot of existing owners will already know this but 13a 3 Pin Plug charging is a total waste of time. I'm yet to install my Charging Point so figured I'd experiment with the 3 Pin option that comes with the car. Pointless! I won't even bore you with the details but painfully slow and entirely impractical if trying to take advantage of cheaper overnight tariffs. Not enough hours to receive any worthwhile charge.

Delivery Delays. My SA went through their order book and ordering/allocation system with me to show how bad it is at the moment. It's bad! Anything 911 Turbo and orders are nearly into 2025, during which time there will likely be facelifts etc.
Taycan GTS ordered today would be 2nd quarter 2023 (roughly) They have a provisional date in their calendar for my allocation as July this year. They do this at a dealership level as a rough guestimate for themselves. I'm not hopeful. However, their Demo allocation was Number 1 and i am Number 3. Fingers crossed.

Mileage. Had 95% when I collected the car. Calculating the potential mileage from what I've drained so far, i'd say I would be in line to achieve around 250 miles. Maybe a little better!

-EDIT-

One additional thing: The SA did confirm price increases coming in June/July. Described it as a standard annual price increase though. But maybe we can expect a larger than average increase due to global affairs

Last edited:

Jhenson29

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Macan S; 2021 Taycan 4S; 2023 911 GTS Cab
Country flag
Interesting read. Thanks. But one question.

This function doesn't actually offer any harvesting until after 1000 miles. However, you do still get the effects and benefits of breaking from it from day one.
I didn’t understand this. I understand “harvesting” to mean recuperation. How would it brake with the motor without recup? I’m not aware of other means of energy dissipation from the motor in the car.

Reactions: B61

WuffvonTrips

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo CT
Country flag
Thanks for detailing your impressions. Are you able to compare your ride and performance experience with any other Taycan variants?
(+ nice to see a trend of UK Taycan GTS demonstrators promoting the less traditional colours)

Murph7355

First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GTS ST; TVR Griffith 500; Caterham 7; Volvo XC90
Country flag
Great write up. Thanks.

Interesting that orders placed now would possibly be fulfilled in Q2 next year....

Think I agree on all your views on the options, except the Pano roof (I have kids who will be in the back a lot) :)

Richs99

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Boxster S, Taycan GTS
Country flag
Pano Roof. I think still a no from me. I'm never in the rear and passengers are a very rare occurrence too. The Pano Roof would also mess with my thoughts for exterior aesthetics/PPF plans i have in mind.
It did do an impressive job of filtering out the bright sunshine of yesterday though. Surprised me.
I am so pleased to see someone else that thinks like this, I thought I must be going mad the amount of people that have told me I need the Pano.

For me, it completely spoils the external aesthetics for any colour other than black, and you can't tell you have it when you are driving as it's behind your eyeline.

The only reason I was second-guessing not having it was that the salesman at Mid Sussex said they always struggle to sell second hand when they don't have a pano roof, for some reason.

Perry

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla SP85D, Model P3D, Taycan Turbo S CT
Country flag
I think the biggest benefit of the Head-Up Display is that it essentially give you one additional section to show info on. I usually have the expanded map on the main display and energy/driver assistant/road signs in the HUD.

B61

First Name
Bine
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
CT4 (9/2021)
Country flag
For me, it completely spoils the external aesthetics for any colour other than black, and you can't tell you have it when you are driving as it's behind your eyeline.
Pano roof provides brighter cabin, and that's why I love it.
Also, as @f1eng said: interior is more important, since we are inside the car most of the time ;)

@Matt-Taycan : how interior looks? I mean which colour or colours?
(btw: I like coffe-beige :angel: )

f1eng

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan CT4S, Ferrari 355, Merc 500E, Prius PHV
Country flag
Pano roof provides brighter cabin, and that's why I love it.
Also, as @f1eng said: interior is more important, since we are inside the car most of the time ;)

@Matt-Taycan : how interior looks? I mean which colour or colours?
(btw: I like coffe-beige :angel: )
It is true that IMO the interior is the bit I am most concerned about, OTOH the Taycan I drove had a pano roof but I only noticed it outside the car where, IMO, it looks a lot worse than the ally roof.

Also I hate the feel of the sun’s radiation on my head so have only had a glass roof on a car once - never again.

Not having I t was the easiest economy for me to make in the options list!

I am paying for racetex headlining and “B”: pillar cover though.

Windpower

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model Y, BMW X3, Taycan RWD Coffee
Country flag
Coffee Beige Metallic by the way... IMO probably the worst of all the colours but still not terrible in bright sunshine.
To each his own. I love my coffee beige. Its not too 'white' and its not too black.

OP
OP

Matt-Taycan

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Interesting read. Thanks. But one question.

I didn’t understand this. I understand “harvesting” to mean recuperation. How would it brake with the motor without recup? I’m not aware of other means of energy dissipation from the motor in the car.

The SA told me that the actual recup didn't start to work until after 1000 miles. However, switching the function on with the steering wheel button definitely prevented the car from free-coasting. I'm not entirely sure what mechanically would be causing the car to slow down/"engine" break but it definitely does. Maybe the car was in fact benefitting from an amount of recup and the SA was misinformed

masmole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan GTS, A6 Allroad, GT3
Country flag
It's not for me either, but I really like the look of coffee beige. A very classy and distinctive off-white shade that reminds me of what white cars look like during sunsets and sunrises. Very nice!

Great write-up. Thanks for sharing!

OP
OP

Matt-Taycan

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
I think the biggest benefit of the Head-Up Display is that it essentially give you one additional section to show info on. I usually have the expanded map on the main display and energy/driver assistant/road signs in the HUD.

It's definitely a very decent HUD and the more information at our disposal the better but i think its a costly option for that little extra info. I can manage without :)

OP
OP

Matt-Taycan

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
It's not for me either, but I really like the look of coffee beige. A very classy and distinctive off-white shade that reminds me of what white cars look like during sunsets and sunrises. Very nice!

Great write-up. Thanks for sharing!

I think i was too quick to judge the Coffee Beige. In some scenarios with the sun just right and from juts the right angle i kinda like it now. I wont spec it but it aint that bad after all :)
Sponsored