Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, '19 e-Tron, '24 GMC 2500HD Duramax
Country flag
I doubt the upgraded brakes positively affect range. The turbo and turbo S alone are far heavier than the 4S with their bigger motors the brake weight is going to be negligible in offsetting that. The upgraded brakes are a nice profit center for Porsche and look better with the Mission E’s since they won’t get rusty.
I won't quibble too much about the upgraded brakes and range as I have no data to support a claim that it's improved by getting them. However, I've seen multiple sources that suggest one reason why smaller wheels return longer range is decreased wheel weight. Since brake rotors are part of the rotating mass with the wheels it seems possible that significantly lighter brakes might make a difference. An additional point is that decreasing total un-sprung mass by 40 to 50 pounds is far more consequential than taking the same amount of weight out of the car's structure.

In the end, of course, it may come down to factors other than potential small increases in range. Personally, if because of budget it comes down to a choice between cosmetic bits or a possible performance option, I'll choose the latter.
Sponsored

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That's a bummer... Happened while you were charging? Any of the usual suspects involved, such as changing settings in Connect while charging, or timers in the profiles, or ...? I hope it gets fixed immediately for you, and structurally for all of us soon.
Drove car on Friday, charged as usual. Used app as usual.

It's a setting in the charger that supposedly does this....when he tells me what it is I will relay what I am told. car is at dealership.....

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
Drove car on Friday, charged as usual. Used app as usual.

It's a setting in the charger that supposedly does this....when he tells me what it is I will relay what I am told. car is at dealership.....
yeah - it's a random non-reproducible software problem that can strike with no rhyme or reason - there really is nothing anyone can do to cause this problem or avoid it - other than never charge the car…it doesn't happen to date when the car is unplugged…

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
yeah - it's a random non-reproducible software problem that can strike with no rhyme or reason - there really is nothing anyone can do to cause this problem or avoid it - other than never charge the car…it doesn't happen to date when the car is unplugged…
That's what it sounds like. I'm gonna deal with this as calmly and be as optimistic as I can for now. If things keep cropping up, I will sell the car.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It sounds like the “bedding” idea for “brakes” having to do with regeneration implies that they are mechanically related. Regeneration is simply the motor running in reverse and sending power to the battery. It has nothing to do with your physical brakes which is why EV “brakes” can last forever since so much braking can be done by the motor under normal driving. I don’t see what kind of “bedding” needs to happen; that seems like a mythological concept. More likely here is that someone didn’t turn the regen on as the Porsche’s regen is not on by default if you don’t press the button on the steering wheel every time you start.
Nope - for the first 500 miles, regen is disabled to properly bed in the brake pads. And to clarify, once you get past that first 500 mile bedding in (and potential subsequent burn-off of any oxidization on the rotor surface), you always have regen (unless your battery is super cold or super full). You can't turn it off. The only thing you can control is if some portion of that regen is available immediately upon lifting off of the accelerator or only when you press the brake pedal.

Coming from a Tesla with really annoying brake squeal I can tell you this non-mythological bedding in is the real deal. But what Tesla and Taycan have in common is that the brakes will likely far outlast your ownership in the car. I sold my Tesla after almost 8 years and 100,000 miles with lots of life left on the original brake pads. Porsche is requesting a change of the Taycan brake pads after six years I believe. It seems they aren't expecting them to wear out before then.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
Porsche Taycan 254 miles real-world range at 75 mph around freezing 1614187575289

I NEVER Charge to 100% but the dealership did. It's still at dealer (12V battery dead issue). Here's my "guesstimate" range at 98%....

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
1614187575289.png

I NEVER Charge to 100% but the dealership did. It's still at dealer (12V battery dead issue). Here's my "guesstimate" range at 98%....
That is 211 miles at 100%. Looks like progress, no? Particularly with your sense of speed. Too bad about the 12V issues. Ruins the experience...

JimBob

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S
Country flag
Your range estimate doesn't look far off for your area, depending on your driving habits.

With respect to the 12v, it's possible you might have an actual bad 12v battery. That should be an easy fix. It still won't preclude the random dead 12v battery from happening.

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
That is 211 miles at 100%. Looks like progress, no? Particularly with your sense of speed. Too bad about the 12V issues. Ruins the experience...
I think its a function of temps being almost 50 degrees. Will report if I get it back and when I drive the battery down

BayAreaJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan Turbo S
Country flag
Nope - for the first 500 miles, regen is disabled to properly bed in the brake pads.
Is there any document for this?
On my MY21 TTS, when it was ~100 miles, I noticed regency was on.
May be the fact that I had done a couple of launch controls by then made the brakes bedding faster.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Regen isn't disabled, it's just less aggressive at regen to use the friction brakes a bit more.

NC_Taycan

First Name
Lewis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'12 Tesla Model S P85, '17 Cayenne S, '20 Taycan Turbo
Country flag
Regen isn't disabled, it's just less aggressive at regen to use the friction brakes a bit more.
More technically correct response than mine. It may also vary depending on the type of brakes (PCCB, PSCB, standard).

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
FWIW: I just spent an afternoon at the porsche driving experience in Atlanta, the tech/instructor explained how the brakes work which is that until you press the brake pedal hard the car is slowing via regen. the car is not going to be like a tesla where 1 pedal driving is the norm. In the taycan you will need to use the brake pedal but using the pedal doesn't mean that you are actually engaging the brakes.

plamichigan

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan, Cayenne, 1970s era Buick
Country flag
This afternoon, I had to get my COVID vaccine at the improbable location of Atlantic City, NJ, which is a 203 miles roundtrip from where I live and therefore an ideal opportunity to test the real-world range of my Taycan 4S with the bigger battery and 19" wheels. I charged up to 98% SoC right before I left. In the 12.5C/55F garage this resulted in a guess-o-meter projected range of 275 miles or the equivalent of 281 miles at 100% SoC. The trip was almost entirely on highways and I kept an average cruising speed of 75 mph in Range mode while the A/C was in Eco mode at 20C/68F. My wife also used her seat warming on the way back. Due to the recent charging, the battery temperature was 19C/66F at start and increased further to 25C/77F during the trip.

The outside temperature during the trip to Atlantic City was about 2C/36F and during the trip back about 0C/32F. Over the entire 203 miles trip, the SoC dropped from 98% SoC to 18% SoC with the guess-o-meter projecting another 42 miles of range left upon arrival. The real-world range with a 100% charged battery in these conditions can therefore be estimated to be 203/0.80 = 254 miles (409 km). This is markedly less than the 281 miles initially projected by the guess-o-meter, but that is due to the difference between the temperature in the garage and outside, I guess?

Using the official useable battery capacity of 83.7 kWh as 100%, this translates into a consumption of 33.0 kWh/100 miles (20.5 kWh/100 km) during this trip. However, the Trip readout on the Taycan's PCM showed a consumption of 35.5 kWh/100 miles which would suggest a useable battery capacity of closer to 90 kWh, or that the Trip readout does not take regeneration gain into account, or both.

Finally, it struck me that I consumed 35% of the battery on the way to Atlantic City and 45% on the way back, despite that there is no major elevation difference and that there was little wind. This leads me to believe that one or both of the following may be true:
1) the relatively small temperature difference between both legs of the trip does make a big difference,
2) the SoC% readout is not linear with the above-50% part effectively covering a bigger share of the battery capacity than the below-50%.

I'm happy to see this, but think this is close to ideal conditions:
" I kept an average cruising speed of 75 mph...
... in Range mode
... while the A/C was in Eco mode at 20C/68F...
...the battery temperature was 19C/66F at start and increased further to 25C/77F during the trip."
Plus, you had 19 inch wheels, were obviously a careful driver and were fully charged with a warm car, and it was southern California.

In real-world, bad conditions (10 degrees or more below freezing, driving above 75 mph frequently, normal mode with all wheel drive fully engaged, but no drag racing and very little stop-start), I observed the equivalent of an estimated 180 miles on an equivalent 90 KW battery. That's in the Midwest in a cold snap. 20" wheels with winter tires. Not sure I had any regen gain as I was driving mostly highway.

I'm glad you pointed out the (terrific) consumption figure for your trip in range mode of 35Kw/100 miles; I had an indicated 50Kw/100 miles and I think the Kw were also drained by the cold. Thus, rather than having 220 or even 240 mile range, I experienced about 180 in very cold weather, and the practical range was probably less than that.

A cautionary tale if you drive in winter.

PLA

PLA

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
I'm happy to see this, but think this is close to ideal conditions:
" I kept an average cruising speed of 75 mph...
... in Range mode
... while the A/C was in Eco mode at 20C/68F...
...the battery temperature was 19C/66F at start and increased further to 25C/77F during the trip."
Plus, you had 19 inch wheels, were obviously a careful driver and were fully charged with a warm car, and it was southern California.

In real-world, bad conditions (10 degrees or more below freezing, driving above 75 mph frequently, normal mode with all wheel drive fully engaged, but no drag racing and very little stop-start), I observed the equivalent of an estimated 180 miles on an equivalent 90 KW battery. That's in the Midwest in a cold snap. 20" wheels with winter tires. Not sure I had any regen gain as I was driving mostly highway.

I'm glad you pointed out the (terrific) consumption figure for your trip in range mode of 35Kw/100 miles; I had an indicated 50Kw/100 miles and I think the Kw were also drained by the cold. Thus, rather than having 220 or even 240 mile range, I experienced about 180 in very cold weather, and the practical range was probably less than that.

A cautionary tale if you drive in winter.

PLA

PLA
Fair points about the warm battery, 19 inch wheels, etc. Small correction: it was not Southern California but the somewhat less idyllic New Jersey with plenty of snow on both sides of the road.
Sponsored