kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
Yes, I drive the Taycan the same way I drive the 911 and Panamera, like a PORSCHE.
the reality that it is a porsche but it is an EV and has the constraints of an EV. until there is a charging station on every corner you need to be a bit diligent when racing around out of your home range.
when I know that I am staying within my range, I drive fast as well and, when I am road tripping, and trying to limit the amount of charging needed, I drive far more conservatively.
the moral here is there is no wrong, enjoy the car
Sponsored

John89

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Country flag
the reality that it is a porsche but it is an EV and has the constraints of an EV. until there is a charging station on every corner you need to be a bit diligent when racing around out of your home range.
when I know that I am staying within my range, I drive fast as well and, when I am road tripping, and trying to limit the amount of charging needed, I drive far more conservatively.
the moral here is there is no wrong, enjoy the car
I'm gonna take it out tomorrow. Waiting for some of the salt to subside

Thanks

Mike in CA

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Taycan 4S, 2019 e-Tron, F250 Powerstroke
Country flag
The fact that one enjoys driving a Taycan "like a Porsche" doesn't mean that you can't adjust and drive it more conservatively to get maximum range when the situation demands. It's why athletes running a marathon don't start out with a sprint.

There's a time and a place for everything.

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Nobody is talking about the BIG contributor to mileage...

THE MANUAL COVER FOR THE CHARGING PORT!!!

I'm sure you would be under 200 miles if you had the electronic cover.:facepalm:
Forgot to mention (or to repeat ad nauseam): I have the manual cover, my pride and joy!

feye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche Taycan 4S+ 2020
Country flag
I've had the car for 66 hours, performance battery 189 miles on the odo, doing a second charge to 85%, and so far it has only shown around 175 of range @100%.
I hope it improves and that I wasn't fooled by all the reports 250+ miles of range
What's your consumption reading?

Doc B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
2.6 mile per kwh
That's pretty good if the battery is cold - something like 220-230 miles of range, so it does sound like your guess-o-meter is bedding in / waiting for the regen to kick-in.

kort

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'21 taycan 4s
Country flag
That's pretty good if the battery is cold - something like 220-230 miles of range, so it does sound like your guess-o-meter is bedding in / waiting for the regen to kick-in.
I will be doing an almost 500 mile R/t ride this weekend, that should help the car sort itself

powderpc

First Name
Kelvin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Taycan 4S, 22 Bronco, Wrangler 4xe
Country flag
It sounds like the “bedding” idea for “brakes” having to do with regeneration implies that they are mechanically related. Regeneration is simply the motor running in reverse and sending power to the battery. It has nothing to do with your physical brakes which is why EV “brakes” can last forever since so much braking can be done by the motor under normal driving. I don’t see what kind of “bedding” needs to happen; that seems like a mythological concept. More likely here is that someone didn’t turn the regen on as the Porsche’s regen is not on by default if you don’t press the button on the steering wheel every time you start.

The Taycan’s brakes have a bit of a weird feel because the early part of the pedal stroke sends the motor into reverse while a firmer push engages the mechanical brake. If you have the regen set to auto it will alter the behavior dependent on how you’re driving while “on” initiates very light regen when you let off the accelerator (it’s barely noticeable so I could be wrong here).

As far as wheel choice and range goes, if you go to the UK Taycan page you find a nice tool to estimate range based on the temp, the road mix, and wheel choice.

The optimal wheels for range are the 19” and 20” wheels with a 1 mile advantage going to the turbo aero (snowflake). The 21” exclusive design are worse and the Mission E is 8-9% worse than the 19-20s. I doubt the upgraded brakes positively affect range. The turbo and turbo S alone are far heavier than the 4S with their bigger motors the brake weight is going to be negligible in offsetting that. The upgraded brakes are a nice profit center for Porsche and look better with the Mission E’s since they won’t get rusty.

The optimal road mix predictably keeps your speed under 60 mph. The optimal temperature is pretty high, something like 30 C/90 F, which clearly doesn’t account for AC use, but playing around with this calculator you can get 300 miles range. One trick not mentioned here is setting your PCM NAV destination (not CarPlay) to a fast charger, which will automatically force the battery to warm up as you approach the charger. This can optimize the range as a warmed battery 80-90 F will give you significant range improvement. Cf Taycan cannonball record was set with a broken Nav that did not allow the drivers to warm the battery properly before charging which likely led to worse range/slower charging since they were driving in the winter.

I’m guessing @kort is getting 175 miles on the guess o meter because the cars do a lot of “idling” with heat/AC on at the dealer and that will reduce your first range calculation. Once you start driving “normal”, ie with no regard to speed limit or accelerating hard, you should easily see 220+. What your car did at the dealer before delivery could influence your initial range.

It was my own experience that the projected range improved dramatically during the first weeks and even months of ownership. That improvement actually happened in two stages: 1) the first 500 or so miles Regeneration is not yet active to allow the brakes to bed in, and thereafter 2) the system seems to gradually account for your real-world driving style and consumption which almost always improves upon the initial assumptions the algorithm comes with.

daveo4EV

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne Hybrid, 911(s) GT3/Convertable
Country flag
The Taycan’s brakes have a bit of a weird feel because the early part of the pedal stroke sends the motor into reverse while a firmer push engages the mechanical brake
to my knowledge it has nothing to do with "pedal" travel - but rather the amount of driver requested deceleration - Porsche "maps" the pedal travel to "requested" deceleration map - and if regen can achieve the requested deceleration no mechanical braking is involved, as the car slows and loses energy the amount of potential regen is reduced and mechanical braking is "blended" in

I do not believe it's a straight map - but rather a complex computer model that will blend both regen and mechanical braking as necessary to achieve the desired outcome…

also regen is _ALWAYS_ enabled, there is no way to disable it - but based on the current needs and availability battery regen will carry most of the load of vehicle deceleration…but for example if the battery is "full" there is no place to "put" the energy, so regen is muted/reduced when the battery is full or nearly full and you're very likely relying mostly on the mechanical brakes since energy recovery requires energy storage and no storage is available if the battery is full.

Miwa

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan Turbo
Country flag
It sounds like the “bedding” idea for “brakes” having to do with regeneration implies that they are mechanically related.
That's exactly what happens. Your car still has real brake pads, and they work by transferring a thin layer of pad material onto the rotors for friction. Since the brakes wont get a regular workout due to regen, the car forces more friction braking during the break-in period to get the pads bedded in.
Proper bedding prevents issues that people will complain about, like uneven pad deposits (which people will think the rotors are warped) and less effective braking (which you'd notice during an emergency braking situation)

OP
OP
Kingske

Kingske

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Porsche Taycan 4S, 2024 BMW X3, 2014 BMW 3 GT
Country flag
Planned to take it out but the 12V battery is dead. Car has been towed to dealership.....
That's a bummer... Happened while you were charging? Any of the usual suspects involved, such as changing settings in Connect while charging, or timers in the profiles, or ...? I hope it gets fixed immediately for you, and structurally for all of us soon.
Sponsored